Galway Forum

Sligo V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Chatting to Ros lads that fairly know their football, they're still very doubtful about their midfield and saying their backs are still too porous. They think they can put it up to Mayo for a while but their honest opinion is that they don't see Ros winning. Just a conversation, I know, but on balance of probabilities, we've got to be preparing for Mayo in Pearse.
Comer seems highly doubtful and from what I saw up in Sligo just metres from the full forward line in both halves is that the three starters as a unit won't be impactful enough against Mayo. We need to mix it up with some size and power to, at the very least, keep them guessing at our attack approach. So, if we're to take it that Comer is most likely out then I believe Mayo wouldn't like to see Martin Farragher starting. They'd feel more comfortable in attempting to contain Cummins, Burke, O'Laoi. Farragher isn't 'big' by modern standards but he's the right size by the Dublin template (Dean Rock 6'1", Paul Flynn 6'2", Ciaran Kilkenny 6'1", Con O'Callaghan smallest at 5'11", and by the way, the majority of the Dubs tip the scales at 13.5 stone, they're simply more advanced with their S&C than anyone else - we certainly don't have that size with current FF line and it won't work going further into the summer). My own view is Burke is the glue that pulls our moves together and his movement will make him very hard to mark. He has to be there in corner forward. Farragher full forward for Mayo. This Corofin two man inside line can do damage, they know each others game inside out, their styles are complimentary. Shane Walsh named at other corner and allow to rove, pull Mayo's defence out of shape. We have options for his half forward berth and more contending for that soon I think. Cummins as potential goal-focused impact sub when legs are tired on 55 mins, taking Walsh out to half forward line.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 146 - 22/05/2019 10:50:42    2186556

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Would love to see this full forward line Tommy but with KW I just don't see it happening. He only plays two close to goal. As you say he could play the three and let Comer roam out a bit but I'm not sure if this the best option. Comer close to goal is probably where we need him. This is the only reason why I think Farragher is in direct competition with Comer (Ian Burke is nailed on for the other inside forward unless injury/massive loss of form) At the end of the day a strong squad is what we need and its a good complaint to have when we have plenty of talented lads who look like they won't get in the first 15 (I wrote out my version of a panel last night and some good players won't make the 26 when everyone is fit!!!)"
Yes there is definitely strong competition amongst the forwards and midfield (when all are fit and injury free) but the backs and particularly the fullback line is an issue albeit Liam Silke is a big plus back there. SAOC's and Kerin's current form is worrying - Kerin also makes too many mistakes, gives away too many frees and is too easily riled up which is not what you want if you are trying to win an AI.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 22/05/2019 11:04:36    2186558

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Personally I think a full forward line of Burke, Comer and Farragher would be a great combination as it would help Comer to have another big strong man up there to allow him to roam further out the field if necessary. Two big target men for route one football at times where it is required is a great weapon to have in the arsenal so its not a Comer versus Farragher choice IMO."
Agreed. Those 3 would be very difficult to contain and a match for any full back line in the game. Hopefully comer makes it for CF. Any news on Dylan Wall. A brilliant defender who would be a great addition to the team or coming on from the bench. Is he injured or has he dropped off the panel ?

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 22/05/2019 12:35:27    2186592

Link

Seeing as Kelly, Duggan, Comer, Cooke, McDaid etc Haven't played a championship game yet I don't see them starting the CF but would be great options on the bench. Team i think should start Vs Mayo/Ros:

1. Power
2. Kerin
3. SA
4. Silke
5. Molloy
6. Bradshaw
7. J. Daly
8. Flynn
9. FOC
10. M. Daly
11. Walsh
12. Heaney
13. Burke
14. Farragher
15. Cummins

Went with Cummins ahead of Olaoi purely because of his goal scoring record which could be crucial.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 22/05/2019 15:03:22    2186634

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Yes there is definitely strong competition amongst the forwards and midfield (when all are fit and injury free) but the backs and particularly the fullback line is an issue albeit Liam Silke is a big plus back there. SAOC's and Kerin's current form is worrying - Kerin also makes too many mistakes, gives away too many frees and is too easily riled up which is not what you want if you are trying to win an AI."
Kerin is getting bad rep on here and I cannot believe it, if we had 3 more Eoghan Kerins in the half back line we'd give the dubs a good rattle.

As a corner back anorak, not too many top quality man marker in the history of the games wishes his man a happy day ahead. 90% of the best man markers live on the edge and every so often tip over it. Currently the best in the games philly McMahon, johny cooper, keith higgins previous generations of mcmenamin from tyrone, the o'se's, going back to Kenneth Mortimer, Neil McGee, Kieran mckeever, Anthony lynch, tony scullion all the best played not on the edge but slightly over the edge. Its not a job for the faint hearted.

There's not too many Seamus Moynihans / Tomas mannions in the history of the game that can keep there man scoreless without laying a hand on them.

Fair enough Eoghan got caught against London and had one slip against Dublin last year. Regarding the London goal, it wouldn't worry me, his game is all about playing with a ferocity that I doubt he would have in his mindset against London but make no mistake it will be there on June 16th.

No wonder there's a lack of good defenders in the county, when we get a good man marker, half the supporters don't realise what he is... without the like him we'd be back in the mess of 2009-2015 getting pushed around the place and torn asunder.

I have absolutely no affiliation to the player but admire him as a defender.

Agreed Liam Silke is a huge plus.

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 22/05/2019 15:11:17    2186637

Link

Replying To hailrainorsnow:  "Kerin is getting bad rep on here and I cannot believe it, if we had 3 more Eoghan Kerins in the half back line we'd give the dubs a good rattle.

As a corner back anorak, not too many top quality man marker in the history of the games wishes his man a happy day ahead. 90% of the best man markers live on the edge and every so often tip over it. Currently the best in the games philly McMahon, johny cooper, keith higgins previous generations of mcmenamin from tyrone, the o'se's, going back to Kenneth Mortimer, Neil McGee, Kieran mckeever, Anthony lynch, tony scullion all the best played not on the edge but slightly over the edge. Its not a job for the faint hearted.

There's not too many Seamus Moynihans / Tomas mannions in the history of the game that can keep there man scoreless without laying a hand on them.

Fair enough Eoghan got caught against London and had one slip against Dublin last year. Regarding the London goal, it wouldn't worry me, his game is all about playing with a ferocity that I doubt he would have in his mindset against London but make no mistake it will be there on June 16th.

No wonder there's a lack of good defenders in the county, when we get a good man marker, half the supporters don't realise what he is... without the like him we'd be back in the mess of 2009-2015 getting pushed around the place and torn asunder.

I have absolutely no affiliation to the player but admire him as a defender.

Agreed Liam Silke is a huge plus."
Don't get me wrong - I am all for a bit of controlled aggression but the problem with Kerin is that it is not always controlled and most forwards try to get under his skin in order to get a reaction such as a punch etc. Many referees also don't give him the benefit of the doubt anymore and along with giving away cheap frees he could be black or red carded. He has achieved the kind of bad reputation in the last couple of years that could be a liability going forward.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 22/05/2019 16:05:41    2186648

Link

Agree with the above poster that Kerin is getting far too much stick, he's turned into an excellent man marker the last few years, he might have not been at his best so far in 2019 but I'd certainly give him the benefit of the doubt for the Connacht Final and with Kyne missing for the last 4 months there's hardly anyone else sticking their hand up for a spot at corner back.

I'd expect Shane Walsh to play full forward against Mayo in the absense of Comer. He caused Mayo a lot of problems last March and don't see any reason why that won't happen again.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 22/05/2019 16:18:26    2186651

Link

I actually don't think Kerrin is a good defender he grand when it's tight but even last day his man got 3 points also very average when soloing out defense got badly caught v Kerry in league he poor kick passer also , silke by far best defender , man marker and also very disciplined player no arguing with opponents or referee only my observation from going to Galway matches all the time ;

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 22/05/2019 17:21:10    2186678

Link

Kerin was top class last year, right throughout the league and championship. Was probably our most consistent performer. He hasn't hit those levels this year admittedly. Still, there's no question he should keep his place. Cillian O'Connor hates marking him for starters so we should continue that matchup if Mayo make the Connacht final

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 89 - 22/05/2019 21:24:45    2186725

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "Kerin was top class last year, right throughout the league and championship. Was probably our most consistent performer. He hasn't hit those levels this year admittedly. Still, there's no question he should keep his place. Cillian O'Connor hates marking him for starters so we should continue that matchup if Mayo make the Connacht final"
I think you are basing this theory of the league game last year after O'Connor got sent off . O Connor didn't play the championship game and I can never remember Kerin marking him before that ?

Galway2019 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 22/05/2019 22:31:14    2186743

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  ""Kevin Walsh was never a big fan of training himself" He didn't walk into training and go I'll just have an aul seat I cant be bothered. His body wouldn't let him fully participate in training and he was going to walk away, thankfully o mahony knew we needed him. Rewriting history to suit your own narrative. KW made the same exception for Mike Meehan too because his body wouldn't allow him go a full hard training session. Are Bradshaw/o donnell/ Flynn all panel members for years allowed to not produce in training and expected to get picked to start?No they are fully fit and have to fight for their place, as they should. KWs no2 is from corofin . He has a say even if you think he doesn't and he wouldn't stay if his fellow club men were being treated unfairly"
Kevin walsh had trouble with his knees and you are correct about that. When o Mahony took over in the winter of 97, he knew that if he was going to win the all ireland, he would need a fit Kevin walsh. He transformed him as a player. He definitely lost weight (about a stone and half) when o Mahony took over and that made him an even better player. He didn't train as hard due to his knee problems.

O Mahony's priority was to ensure he got his best 15 out on the pitch. He was flexible in relation to training and clearly gave Kevin a pass due to his knee problems. Alot of posters including yourself talk about players will only be picked or considered for selection if they train and play during the league and that they can't expect to waltz into the starting 15 for championship when they are not training with the county. Corofin players included.

That was never the case under O Mahony. For example, Ja Fallon played rugby for connacht in 97/98. I remember attending a league quarter final between Galway and offaly around April 1997. Galway were beaten.

Fallon did not play that game and indeed had not played or trained with Galway at all in that league campaign. O Mahony didn't care about that but he knew if we were to beat mayo in May of 98, then he needed Fallon on the pitch.

Fallon gave up the rugby and lined out at 11 against Mayo approx 5 weeks later. As you know we beat mayo that year and went on to win the all ireland. Fallon had a brilliant campaign and was named footballer of the year in 1998. That's not rewriting history as you say. That's the truth.

He also gave Tomas Mannion concessions due to his work commitments. He didn't train religiously either during league campaigns due to farming obligations. He missed the entire 2000 championship but returned for the 2001 campaign.

O Mahony allowed some of his top players like Kevin Walsh, Tomas Mannion and Ja Fallon a little flexibility when it came to training or availability. That's why we won 2 all Ireland's in that period. We certainly wouldn't have won any of those all Ireland's if o Mahony stuck to your theory because Walsh, Fallon or Mannion wouldn't have been on the pitch.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 23/05/2019 03:25:08    2186772

Link

Replying To Galway2019:  "I think you are basing this theory of the league game last year after O'Connor got sent off . O Connor didn't play the championship game and I can never remember Kerin marking him before that ?"
He came on after half time

Flemenstar200 (Galway) - Posts: 11 - 23/05/2019 07:18:53    2186777

Link

Replying To Galway2019:  "I think you are basing this theory of the league game last year after O'Connor got sent off . O Connor didn't play the championship game and I can never remember Kerin marking him before that ?"
says the Mayo man, Kerin has always had both O Connors in his pocket..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 23/05/2019 07:52:08    2186779

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Kevin walsh had trouble with his knees and you are correct about that. When o Mahony took over in the winter of 97, he knew that if he was going to win the all ireland, he would need a fit Kevin walsh. He transformed him as a player. He definitely lost weight (about a stone and half) when o Mahony took over and that made him an even better player. He didn't train as hard due to his knee problems.

O Mahony's priority was to ensure he got his best 15 out on the pitch. He was flexible in relation to training and clearly gave Kevin a pass due to his knee problems. Alot of posters including yourself talk about players will only be picked or considered for selection if they train and play during the league and that they can't expect to waltz into the starting 15 for championship when they are not training with the county. Corofin players included.

That was never the case under O Mahony. For example, Ja Fallon played rugby for connacht in 97/98. I remember attending a league quarter final between Galway and offaly around April 1997. Galway were beaten.

Fallon did not play that game and indeed had not played or trained with Galway at all in that league campaign. O Mahony didn't care about that but he knew if we were to beat mayo in May of 98, then he needed Fallon on the pitch.

Fallon gave up the rugby and lined out at 11 against Mayo approx 5 weeks later. As you know we beat mayo that year and went on to win the all ireland. Fallon had a brilliant campaign and was named footballer of the year in 1998. That's not rewriting history as you say. That's the truth.

He also gave Tomas Mannion concessions due to his work commitments. He didn't train religiously either during league campaigns due to farming obligations. He missed the entire 2000 championship but returned for the 2001 campaign.

O Mahony allowed some of his top players like Kevin Walsh, Tomas Mannion and Ja Fallon a little flexibility when it came to training or availability. That's why we won 2 all Ireland's in that period. We certainly wouldn't have won any of those all Ireland's if o Mahony stuck to your theory because Walsh, Fallon or Mannion wouldn't have been on the pitch."
Very accurate post. In fact the biggest thing Ja was concerned about I believe was how fellow squad members would perceive his late entry to the panel that year (1998). A very unified group made sure it was fluid. Without rewriting history we really missed him in 2000 and also without T Mannion as you say.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1640 - 23/05/2019 09:57:41    2186797

Link

2016 championship game also. Cillian came on in last years game but positioned himself out the field. 2 full matchups and the only thing O'Connor has done from play in either is get himself sent off

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 89 - 23/05/2019 10:02:33    2186798

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Kevin walsh had trouble with his knees and you are correct about that. When o Mahony took over in the winter of 97, he knew that if he was going to win the all ireland, he would need a fit Kevin walsh. He transformed him as a player. He definitely lost weight (about a stone and half) when o Mahony took over and that made him an even better player. He didn't train as hard due to his knee problems.

O Mahony allowed some of his top players like Kevin Walsh, Tomas Mannion and Ja Fallon a little flexibility when it came to training or availability. That's why we won 2 all Ireland's in that period. We certainly wouldn't have won any of those all Ireland's if o Mahony stuck to your theory because Walsh, Fallon or Mannion wouldn't have been on the pitch."
The 1990s were a very different time in terms of how intercounty GAA teams were run both from a S&C standpoint and tactically.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 23/05/2019 10:11:35    2186803

Link

Don't really get the talk about Kerin he has been by a distance our best cornerback for the last 3 years. Its the other corner back spot which is the issue and has been a bit of a revolving door filled by lads who would be better fits elsewhere. Indeed Kerin himself plays 6 for Annaghdown and plays it very well. Kyne is a full back, Sweeney is a centre back or wing back by trade as is Liam Silke. Silke and Kerin are our best two bets either side of SAOC at present i think that is fairly clear.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 23/05/2019 10:14:14    2186804

Link

That was 21 years ago, and while you make an interesting point, the game has changed immensely in that time. Some counties will always make allowances but the top teams, and I'll use Dublin as an example, can place greater emphasis on continuity and consistency. They have the depth to say to Rory O'Carroll, you're not going to walk back into this team because of what you've done before or elsewhere.

For the first time in a generation, we are experiencing our richest depth in talent. Overall, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if Walsh promoted someone who had missed the League campaign into the team. He's done it before. However, I'm quite happy to trust his judgment and go with players who've been there from the start of the year as well.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 23/05/2019 10:25:59    2186807

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Don't really get the talk about Kerin he has been by a distance our best cornerback for the last 3 years. Its the other corner back spot which is the issue and has been a bit of a revolving door filled by lads who would be better fits elsewhere. Indeed Kerin himself plays 6 for Annaghdown and plays it very well. Kyne is a full back, Sweeney is a centre back or wing back by trade as is Liam Silke. Silke and Kerin are our best two bets either side of SAOC at present i think that is fairly clear."
exactly correct

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1296 - 23/05/2019 10:33:47    2186810

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "That was 21 years ago, and while you make an interesting point, the game has changed immensely in that time. Some counties will always make allowances but the top teams, and I'll use Dublin as an example, can place greater emphasis on continuity and consistency. They have the depth to say to Rory O'Carroll, you're not going to walk back into this team because of what you've done before or elsewhere.

For the first time in a generation, we are experiencing our richest depth in talent. Overall, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if Walsh promoted someone who had missed the League campaign into the team. He's done it before. However, I'm quite happy to trust his judgment and go with players who've been there from the start of the year as well."
But in your opinion, what would be our strongest starting 15 for final?

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 23/05/2019 11:14:30    2186822

Link