Galway Forum

Sligo V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I think you are missing Tommy K's point a little. All he is saying is how is he supposed to prove himself at inter county level when he wasnt given the opportunity in the last 5 years. Its a fair point.

He was given 6 minutes of action yesterday and he scored a goal and a point. Imo if he was on from the start he'd have kicked a few more points. One can argue about the quality of the opposition but he produced in 6 minutes what the other 6 forwards failed to do in the game up to that point.

From reading your post you seem to be a fan of farragher but Its obvious from some other people on here that their noses are out of joint again and were privately hoping he wouldn't make an impact.

Farragher proved yesterday what alot of people have being saying for years ie give him a chance and he'll do the rest.

He is easily one of the top 6 forwards in Galway and I think that's all Tommy K and many others like him have been saying for 5 years now. Martin Farragher is a top class footballer. When he gets on the ball, he'll score or create chances for others. He has done it at club and he'll do it at county if he gets more game time.

You talk about producing it in training. That's fine but the real test is producing the goods on match day. Cummins, O laoi and Heaney are all good players but for me they have been very quiet for the last 2 games. They have made little impact.

Maybe they'll produce it the next day but the dilemma there is if they don't play well again then we probably won't win the CF. That for me is a risk not worth taking. Farragher has put his hand up as you say and he should start ahead of any of them.

KW was never a big fan of training as a player himself but John O Mahony knew that he'd produce on match day when it counted. Some players shine in training others save themselves for match day and produce when it counts. That's the real test.

Farragher if given a start in the connacht final will keep the score board ticking over. That's what top class forwards do and that's how you win football matches. I have no doubt KW will give farragher more game time and that he'll finally prove to some of the non believers in him that he is worthy of a place in our starting front 6."
Spot on reversepass you know what I mean re. Martin Farragher - I am also glad Power was selected the last day and delivered as you were recommending here previously. I would also like to see Leonard get a chance to prove himself.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2267 - 21/05/2019 00:09:04    2186133

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I think you are missing Tommy K's point a little. All he is saying is how is he supposed to prove himself at inter county level when he wasnt given the opportunity in the last 5 years. Its a fair point.

He was given 6 minutes of action yesterday and he scored a goal and a point. Imo if he was on from the start he'd have kicked a few more points. One can argue about the quality of the opposition but he produced in 6 minutes what the other 6 forwards failed to do in the game up to that point.

From reading your post you seem to be a fan of farragher but Its obvious from some other people on here that their noses are out of joint again and were privately hoping he wouldn't make an impact.

Farragher proved yesterday what alot of people have being saying for years ie give him a chance and he'll do the rest.

He is easily one of the top 6 forwards in Galway and I think that's all Tommy K and many others like him have been saying for 5 years now. Martin Farragher is a top class footballer. When he gets on the ball, he'll score or create chances for others. He has done it at club and he'll do it at county if he gets more game time.

You talk about producing it in training. That's fine but the real test is producing the goods on match day. Cummins, O laoi and Heaney are all good players but for me they have been very quiet for the last 2 games. They have made little impact.

Maybe they'll produce it the next day but the dilemma there is if they don't play well again then we probably won't win the CF. That for me is a risk not worth taking. Farragher has put his hand up as you say and he should start ahead of any of them.

KW was never a big fan of training as a player himself but John O Mahony knew that he'd produce on match day when it counted. Some players shine in training others save themselves for match day and produce when it counts. That's the real test.

Farragher if given a start in the connacht final will keep the score board ticking over. That's what top class forwards do and that's how you win football matches. I have no doubt KW will give farragher more game time and that he'll finally prove to some of the non believers in him that he is worthy of a place in our starting front 6."
"Kevin Walsh was never a big fan of training himself" He didn't walk into training and go I'll just have an aul seat I cant be bothered. His body wouldn't let him fully participate in training and he was going to walk away, thankfully o mahony knew we needed him. Rewriting history to suit your own narrative. KW made the same exception for Mike Meehan too because his body wouldn't allow him go a full hard training session. Are Bradshaw/o donnell/ Flynn all panel members for years allowed to not produce in training and expected to get picked to start?No they are fully fit and have to fight for their place, as they should. KWs no2 is from corofin . He has a say even if you think he doesn't and he wouldn't stay if his fellow club men were being treated unfairly

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1040 - 21/05/2019 00:54:16    2186137

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Duggan was motm in the Mayo match last season iirc. In contrast, FOC has never delivered such a major display in a major match at senior intercounty level. Was a superb u21 midfielder alongside Flynn in both 2011 & 2013. Never made the step up to senior imo, but I'm looking forward to seeing him make that step up this season."
Duggan has generally played very well for Galway at senior level. FOC has not despite a huge number of chances.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 888 - 21/05/2019 09:00:44    2186166

Link

Farragher should and I think will start the Connacht Final. That I agree with. The rest of your post is much a do about nothing. Comparing the conditions Ian Burke and Danny Cummins played in on Sunday compared to what Farragher came on against are a world apart. Any one at the game will tell you they received very heavy handed treatment against Sligo and also played an entire half against a strong breeze. Farragher came on with the game over and Sligo looking for the dressing room. He took his two chances well and anyone that has seen him play knows he has plenty about him. Running down players playing the last day to further your cause isn't the way to go about things. Cummins and Heaney helped set up the all important first goal and Heaney scored the second one. Everyone has a contribution to make. I actually think Farragher would of been more suited to both the London and Sligo games as they both completely parked the bus. His size and strength would of suited these games. I expect more room for forwards against Mayo or Roscommon as they won't be inclined to park the bus as much. But there you go.

"Hindsight is the foresight of a jacka##" as they say.

This is only my opinion but if all players are fit Farragher isn't likely to start. His direct competition is Comer. if he is to start ahead of him he will be playing some football and that would only be of benefit to Galway. With our injured players starting to return (including McDaid who for some reason you said wouldn't be back for the Super Eights) competition for places is going to be savage. This should hopefully improve training and see improvement in our match day performances.

Lastly I'd like to wish Kieran Molloy a speedy recovery. From reports it doesn't seem that bad. The commitment he has shown to football over the last few years has been unmatched by any player in the country. He has done all he can to make himself available to every team that has looked for him. Hopefully he'll be back in maroon in the Connacht Final.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 445 - 21/05/2019 09:21:36    2186170

Link

And furthermore with Damo certainly not starting and from what I have heard unlikely to be involved having Farragher in the ff line even more important now for physique alone. I might be taking a little risk but if KW starts McDaid, Molloy and Farragher or at least ensures they are heavily involved on June 16th we will be well set up as the 3 guys are fantastic ballers in their own right.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1640 - 21/05/2019 09:30:49    2186175

Link

I would take a fully fit FOC who played well the last day over Duggan who's just coming back from injury. You almost aren't allowed to mention Duggan on this without also saying " Oh he got Man of the Match against Mayo last year "
Bar that game, I can't think of too many good performances he's had for Galway. I think he might come on off the bench in the final against Mayo or the Rossies.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 21/05/2019 10:31:32    2186205

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Duggan has generally played very well for Galway at senior level. FOC has not despite a huge number of chances."
Agreed. FOC played well on Sunday. I've often seen him do that against division 2 and 3 opposition. But if it's a mayo v Galway final, he'll be up against o Shea and Ruane who are huge men. As pope has correctly pointed out, he has struggled against that opposition in the past.

Duggan on the other hand is a big man with a huge engine. He was brilliant in last year's league final and was man of the match against mayo last year. I'd go for Duggan all day long.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 21/05/2019 11:14:18    2186228

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "And furthermore with Damo certainly not starting and from what I have heard unlikely to be involved having Farragher in the ff line even more important now for physique alone. I might be taking a little risk but if KW starts McDaid, Molloy and Farragher or at least ensures they are heavily involved on June 16th we will be well set up as the 3 guys are fantastic ballers in their own right."
I think we can take it as read that we won't see the 3 small fellas in the full forward line in the Connacht final. Either O'Laoi or Cummins will drop out for someone more physical be that Comer if fit, Farragher, or Cunningham. Mayo are not blessed with height in heir back division, rather have a lot of mobile 5'10 lads who woudln't mind chasing after a small galway forward line without the fear of a bit of route 1.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 285 - 21/05/2019 12:53:33    2186282

Link

Thought Duggan was fairly average during the league to be honest. Certainly not as good as he was last year.

I certainly wouldn't be penciling him in as a certain starter on this year's evidence so far.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1670 - 21/05/2019 12:55:41    2186283

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "I think we can take it as read that we won't see the 3 small fellas in the full forward line in the Connacht final. Either O'Laoi or Cummins will drop out for someone more physical be that Comer if fit, Farragher, or Cunningham. Mayo are not blessed with height in heir back division, rather have a lot of mobile 5'10 lads who woudln't mind chasing after a small galway forward line without the fear of a bit of route 1."
If its Farragher v Cunningham then its no contest IMO.

Farragher is a proven winner and leader at club level. Time for Kevin to let these lads of the leash.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 888 - 21/05/2019 14:07:34    2186311

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Farragher should and I think will start the Connacht Final. That I agree with. The rest of your post is much a do about nothing. Comparing the conditions Ian Burke and Danny Cummins played in on Sunday compared to what Farragher came on against are a world apart. Any one at the game will tell you they received very heavy handed treatment against Sligo and also played an entire half against a strong breeze. Farragher came on with the game over and Sligo looking for the dressing room. He took his two chances well and anyone that has seen him play knows he has plenty about him. Running down players playing the last day to further your cause isn't the way to go about things. Cummins and Heaney helped set up the all important first goal and Heaney scored the second one. Everyone has a contribution to make. I actually think Farragher would of been more suited to both the London and Sligo games as they both completely parked the bus. His size and strength would of suited these games. I expect more room for forwards against Mayo or Roscommon as they won't be inclined to park the bus as much. But there you go.

"Hindsight is the foresight of a jacka##" as they say.

This is only my opinion but if all players are fit Farragher isn't likely to start. His direct competition is Comer. if he is to start ahead of him he will be playing some football and that would only be of benefit to Galway. With our injured players starting to return (including McDaid who for some reason you said wouldn't be back for the Super Eights) competition for places is going to be savage. This should hopefully improve training and see improvement in our match day performances.

Lastly I'd like to wish Kieran Molloy a speedy recovery. From reports it doesn't seem that bad. The commitment he has shown to football over the last few years has been unmatched by any player in the country. He has done all he can to make himself available to every team that has looked for him. Hopefully he'll be back in maroon in the Connacht Final."
I didn't run down anyone. I said o laoi, cummins and Heaney are all good players but have been quiet against london and sligo. Anyone who attended those matches would say that's a fair assessment. All 3 have played well in the league and I have always given them credit in the past.

However, you on the other hand say that farragher should start and will start the CF. Then you say that he probably won't start further on in your post. Confusing stuff.

You call for farraghers inclusion then you rubbish his impact stating the game was over and Sligo were heading for the dressing room. Talk about running the man down.

You complain about the wind and the hard time our forwards got from Sligo. I've news for you, that's what championship football is about. You then say that if we meet mayo in CF there will be more space. Good luck with that theory.

The mayo full back line will comprise of 3 All Stars in Barrett, Harrison and Higgins. Time and space is something those guys don't give you.

The tempo and intensity of that game will be a million miles removed from the London and sligo games or any of the training sessions you refer to constantly.

Mayo parked the bus last year and will probably be forced to do the same this year to counteract our defensive system. By the way, i was delighted to see mcdaid make his return last sunday. I'm a big fan of his and if he's fully fit, I'd start him but then as you correctly pointed out, it's only my opinion.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 21/05/2019 16:22:36    2186345

Link

Fiontain definitely gives us something different I'd needed against Mayo and is God's option to have if we are getting cleaned at midfield.

Farragher is another good option if DC is injured. I think we're needed a focal point up front and add some pointed out already the small ff line didn't work again. Individuals each of them offer something but as a group it lacks physical presence and balance.

I was happy enough after game (except for molloy injury). Quality of sligo was poor so can't read a lot into it.

Roll on Connacht Final

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1038 - 21/05/2019 20:28:10    2186421

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "I didn't run down anyone. I said o laoi, cummins and Heaney are all good players but have been quiet against london and sligo. Anyone who attended those matches would say that's a fair assessment. All 3 have played well in the league and I have always given them credit in the past.

However, you on the other hand say that farragher should start and will start the CF. Then you say that he probably won't start further on in your post. Confusing stuff.

You call for farraghers inclusion then you rubbish his impact stating the game was over and Sligo were heading for the dressing room. Talk about running the man down.

You complain about the wind and the hard time our forwards got from Sligo. I've news for you, that's what championship football is about. You then say that if we meet mayo in CF there will be more space. Good luck with that theory.

The mayo full back line will comprise of 3 All Stars in Barrett, Harrison and Higgins. Time and space is something those guys don't give you.

The tempo and intensity of that game will be a million miles removed from the London and sligo games or any of the training sessions you refer to constantly.

Mayo parked the bus last year and will probably be forced to do the same this year to counteract our defensive system. By the way, i was delighted to see mcdaid make his return last sunday. I'm a big fan of his and if he's fully fit, I'd start him but then as you correctly pointed out, it's only my opinion."
You're a ball of emotion. I'm glad to see following Galway has you this riled up. I hope the team match your passion. You do have a habit of picking out statements to suit yourself. I guess we all do. I'll try and clear up a few.

I stand by what I said about Farraghers contribution on Sunday. World's apart from the first 50mins of football. It was difficult conditions to play in both weather wise and fouling wise. Heaney and Cummins especially are well used to the white heat of Championship football so I think they can handle it despite your concerns. Farragher may of done better but when an inside forward with the class of Ian Burke struggled I have my doubts. But it's only an opinion.

The reason I think he will start the CF is because Comer likely will not. We need an imposing strong player to offset against our more nimble fleet footed players such as Burke Cummins or O Laoi. I did say I hope he keeps his place because that means he's more than likely keeping Comer out of the team. He is our captain and one of the best in the country. So for Farragher to do that he will be playing unreal football and that can only be to the benefit of Galway. So I'm not sure why it's confusing. I expect when Comer is fit unless someone is touching the country he will come back into the team.

Mayo do not park any bus. League game against Galway this year when our full forward line blitzed them in the first half shows this. Even against a gale they push up high and press the ball. League final is another example of having a fairly exposed full back line. I don't think you watch them too often. I believe if Galway play Mayo more so than Roscommon it will be vital to get quick ball into our full forward line to do maximum damage. Players such as Burke, Cummins and O Laoi would thrive in this. I'm sure with his class Farragher can too. Although from seeing him play not as much as the other three I mentioned.

Again like you like to say. All my opinion.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 445 - 21/05/2019 21:24:56    2186446

Link

How has McDaid been playing for club (when not injured) , he was good in the early part of the league but I wouldn't have him as a guaranteed starter if he's fit.

Galway2019 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 21/05/2019 22:40:28    2186472

Link

While I will happily defer on matters of team selections to those wiser heads among us who know all the players, their extended families, boot sizes, star signs, turn-on's (pina coladas, walks in the rain), turn-off's (Mayo accents, qualifiers), and preferred stud length; I thought I would just take a moment to say how nice it is to have a team again that is being taken seriously at senior level and is viewed as a contender, albeit as something of a dark horse, for the grand prize itself.

Well done Big Kev and to all involved. Come what may, you're doing us all proud.

Now go on and beat Kerry and Dublin on the way to bringing Same home in '19.

Gaillimh Abú!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2752 - 22/05/2019 00:41:56    2186493

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "You're a ball of emotion. I'm glad to see following Galway has you this riled up. I hope the team match your passion. You do have a habit of picking out statements to suit yourself. I guess we all do. I'll try and clear up a few.

I stand by what I said about Farraghers contribution on Sunday. World's apart from the first 50mins of football. It was difficult conditions to play in both weather wise and fouling wise. Heaney and Cummins especially are well used to the white heat of Championship football so I think they can handle it despite your concerns. Farragher may of done better but when an inside forward with the class of Ian Burke struggled I have my doubts. But it's only an opinion.

The reason I think he will start the CF is because Comer likely will not. We need an imposing strong player to offset against our more nimble fleet footed players such as Burke Cummins or O Laoi. I did say I hope he keeps his place because that means he's more than likely keeping Comer out of the team. He is our captain and one of the best in the country. So for Farragher to do that he will be playing unreal football and that can only be to the benefit of Galway. So I'm not sure why it's confusing. I expect when Comer is fit unless someone is touching the country he will come back into the team.

Mayo do not park any bus. League game against Galway this year when our full forward line blitzed them in the first half shows this. Even against a gale they push up high and press the ball. League final is another example of having a fairly exposed full back line. I don't think you watch them too often. I believe if Galway play Mayo more so than Roscommon it will be vital to get quick ball into our full forward line to do maximum damage. Players such as Burke, Cummins and O Laoi would thrive in this. I'm sure with his class Farragher can too. Although from seeing him play not as much as the other three I mentioned.

Again like you like to say. All my opinion."
That's sound. At the end of the day we can agree that farragher is a good option. He's accurate and is a top class performer. If he gets more game time that will become obvious to everyone. Cummins is also a good player and O laoi has been a very good addition to the squad.

Heaney is also a good player but I think he's a better wing back than half forward. They'll just have to up their games if they start. We all know they can play better. Its a strong panel. In relation to mayo, they parked the bus last year and you are right when you say that they did press high in the league game this year in castlebar. However they got hit on the break and exposed at the back for lack of pace. Shane walsh in particular gave Keegan and Boyle a torrid time. I think horan will have seen that so it's unlikely he'll push up as much and leave themselves as vulnerable at the back again. That's why I think, he'll have to set them up in a more defensive manner again.

Having said all that, the rossies could turn mayo over. Its not going to be a walk in the park for mayo next Saturday. They won the league and that's a big lift for them but the rossies are a physically stronger side under Cunningham and have quality forwards who will punish them. All the pressure is on mayo so it wouldn't shock me if they turned mayo over.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 22/05/2019 02:27:35    2186496

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "You're a ball of emotion. I'm glad to see following Galway has you this riled up. I hope the team match your passion. You do have a habit of picking out statements to suit yourself. I guess we all do. I'll try and clear up a few.

The problem we have given that Mayo do press high up the pitch -is that we don't give quick early ball inside at all.
Our style of play is to build a lot slower than that.
I think this will be our downfall in the Connacht final.
Last year was different in that Mayo got everybody back behind the ball once they went down to 14 men.Horan doesn't tend to play like that.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 650 - 22/05/2019 08:31:24    2186513

Link

Replying To Galway2019:  "How has McDaid been playing for club (when not injured) , he was good in the early part of the league but I wouldn't have him as a guaranteed starter if he's fit."
He wasn't back from injury yet for the club league games last month

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 650 - 22/05/2019 08:55:40    2186518

Link

Personally I think a full forward line of Burke, Comer and Farragher would be a great combination as it would help Comer to have another big strong man up there to allow him to roam further out the field if necessary. Two big target men for route one football at times where it is required is a great weapon to have in the arsenal so its not a Comer versus Farragher choice IMO.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2267 - 22/05/2019 09:36:02    2186527

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Personally I think a full forward line of Burke, Comer and Farragher would be a great combination as it would help Comer to have another big strong man up there to allow him to roam further out the field if necessary. Two big target men for route one football at times where it is required is a great weapon to have in the arsenal so its not a Comer versus Farragher choice IMO."
Would love to see this full forward line Tommy but with KW I just don't see it happening. He only plays two close to goal. As you say he could play the three and let Comer roam out a bit but I'm not sure if this the best option. Comer close to goal is probably where we need him. This is the only reason why I think Farragher is in direct competition with Comer (Ian Burke is nailed on for the other inside forward unless injury/massive loss of form) At the end of the day a strong squad is what we need and its a good complaint to have when we have plenty of talented lads who look like they won't get in the first 15 (I wrote out my version of a panel last night and some good players won't make the 26 when everyone is fit!!!)

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 445 - 22/05/2019 09:53:20    2186533

Link