Galway Forum

Sligo V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FallenStar:  "You do realise I'm not from Connemara? And even if I was, why is there the need for such condescending sarcasm towards that part of Galway football?

You wouldn't see such petty nonsense with Mayo supporters. It's embarrassing some of our "support" feel the need to perpetuate this divide when it comes to inter-county football!

Facts are facts though. Without even playing well we've reached yet another Connacht Final. A farcry from the days of losing games by a point to Antrim in the qualifiers and more like it in the previous 10 years!"
Hate the divide between the county. You know kilanin is nearer to Corofin/athenry/tuam than to leitir mor and and dont even get me started on how long it would take him to get to inishbofin. Not that I think the manager picks players based on what club they're from but if people are going to accuse him of picking lads based on proximity to his locality they should get out a map. Kilanin isn't in Conemara either

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1011 - 19/05/2019 21:19:29    2185652

Link

Replying To festinog:  "On the one hand, Sligo parked the bus, even when they held the weather gage in the first half, so it was always going to be hard to score against them. Add to that, the fact they played out of their skins and you're left with a situation where most teams would struggle to score.

That said, Galway's wife count was daft, and they went a full quarter of the second half without scoring, or even really trying to, but when they got their goal chances they took them. They never got out of first gear for most of the game and I'm fairness they didn't need to; Sligo playing defensively never threatened. So I'm a way, this score line slightly flatters Sligo to be honest, the result was never in doubt."
One 'wife' is enough for anyone!!! Anything more is just not on .... if we are to beat Mayo.

Mayfair (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 19/05/2019 21:38:37    2185656

Link

A win is a win. Positives from today, Bradshaw at centreback was solid, delighted for Fintain O'Curraoin he was super and even kicked a score, the debate must now be over about Martin Farragher, he did more in six minites than the other contenders did in the all the games together this year to stake a claim in the full forward line with Comer and Burke. Silke was unbelievable and showed how much he was missed with his travels last year.

This team is taking shape
Power
Silke
Sean Andy
McDaid for me over Kerin too much pulling/fouling
Molloy if fit
Bradshaw
John Daly
Flynn
O'Curraoin
Walsh
Conroy if fit Daly if not
Daly or Heaney if Conroy not fit
Farragher
Comer if fit.
Burke

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 329 - 19/05/2019 21:54:15    2185662

Link

Replying To EDH:  "A win is a win. Positives from today, Bradshaw at centreback was solid, delighted for Fintain O'Curraoin he was super and even kicked a score, the debate must now be over about Martin Farragher, he did more in six minites than the other contenders did in the all the games together this year to stake a claim in the full forward line with Comer and Burke. Silke was unbelievable and showed how much he was missed with his travels last year.

Power
Silke
Sean Andy
Molloy if fit
Bradshaw
John Daly
Flynn
O'Curraoin
Walsh
Farragher
Comer if fit.
Burke"
Feckin good team
Four weeks today until the Connacht final
Loads of time for injuries to clear

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 196 - 19/05/2019 22:17:59    2185676

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Great news 're Molloy. Hopefully it's not too serious"
He did say it was dislocated but no big deal!!! Obviously a very positive person!! If it is dislocated he must be a doubt for final but he was I hope he's right!

First time I've met him and even with his arm in a sling he was a ball of energy just like on the pitch. For the few minutes he played there was a buzz every time he got the ball. Hope he's ok.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1025 - 19/05/2019 22:20:14    2185677

Link

If everyone fit think Cooke , brannigan comer Duggan Kelly will all play big part still think half backline will struggle also need our full forward line scoring , Ian Burke good player but does not score enough for me 2 points in total v London and Sligo , need get players I named above back big time and Kyne also bench weak enough 2 day

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 19/05/2019 22:23:29    2185678

Link

We were there today and a nice win but I felt the scoreline did flatter us, for sure. We were a lot better but not to the level the scoreline suggests. Power was great bar one bad kickout. I like Lavelle but the way the intercounty game is morphing again, I think that size and height under the dropping ball will be important this year. Power gets it on that basis and you feel he keeps other teams guessing more as they know they has the ability to ping it a serious distance into space, if needed. Silke was absolute quality, the consummate modern corner back, calm on the ball and driving all the way forward as a scoring threat too - an inside forward's tally to show for his performance and well deserved MOTM. Sean Andy's power and aggression were good. Kerin's energy is great but a couple of very iffy mistakes - a couple of easily winnable balls missed that a top side would have punished. Molloy is sound after his injury, tough as nails, popped his shoulder, its back in and he's going training again Tuesday night. Gary did very well when he came in and was probably the first to stand up to the early dirty stuff being tried on us. We need Molloy all year though, a real X factor there that'll stretch opposition. Bradshaw looked very solid today, a mighty servant over the years. Not sure if he'll have the pace for some of the searing forwards later in the year but looked good today. John Daly was very good and looked settled, like he's been there for years. Flynn and FOC were battling hard and some great fetches. Good leadership being shown by Flynn, he's getting more vocal and more dominant. Cracking point by Fiontain. Shane Walsh looked a bit off the boil. There were acres of space on the terrace side to exploit in the first half that never got exploited. Same could be said for Terrace side in second half - not used by forwards to the degree it should have been. Heaney was sharp on the rebound for the goal but needs to run at them much more too. Michael Daly has class and some drive of a ball but does it have to be ballooned 100m into the sky? Think his shot selection and the garryowen-style trajectory of it is sometimes making things hard on himself. Just split the posts, that counts too! Danny, Ian and Antaine didn't look fully at the tempo required. Dragged into too much nonsense by their markers and the sligo keeper. Ian did show mighty quick hands and thinking a couple of times in second half to lay on scores. That said, again the terrace wing was never exploited for runs and the inside line didn't present any fair target at times for the lads carrying in. Carrying the ball in lateral arcs in the half fwd line was grand today but we'll need more quickfire into the FF line as the summer goes on. Martin Farragher looked and was threatening. Worth trying again for sure. Got inside two men to fetch before a very cool finish for the goal. Good to see McDaid back. Comer and Conroy needed. The wind today was crying out for a big target man up front. All in all, fair play to the boys. On to the Connacht Final! Looking forward to it.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 146 - 19/05/2019 22:50:17    2185689

Link

Replying To EDH:  "A win is a win. Positives from today, Bradshaw at centreback was solid, delighted for Fintain O'Curraoin he was super and even kicked a score, the debate must now be over about Martin Farragher, he did more in six minites than the other contenders did in the all the games together this year to stake a claim in the full forward line with Comer and Burke. Silke was unbelievable and showed how much he was missed with his travels last year.

Power
Silke
Sean Andy
Molloy if fit
Bradshaw
John Daly
Flynn
O'Curraoin
Walsh
Farragher
Comer if fit.
Burke"
Agree with you 100% about farragher. A class act who has to start CF now. He's a natural scoring forward with huge ability and he proved that today. If Duggan is back, I'd start him ahead of FOC even though he played well today. Duggan thrives on hard ground and was brilliant against mayo last year. He is mobile and would have the engine to stay with Ruane if it's mayo in CF.

Kerin is too much of a risk at present and his indiscipline will cost us unless it's addressed by management. He plays on the edge but sometimes he regularly strays over the line and that's a big concern. His man kicked 2 points from play off him today and 2 more from frees.

We lacked physical presence in our full forward line today. Comer and farragher will bring strength and real finishing power to that sector of the field. Throw in Ian Burke alongside those two and it would be a very dangerous front 3. Our half forward line should be strong also. Daly was hit and miss today but id go with him again. Conroy is an option for sure if he's fit. Shane walsh will start at 11 and the remaining spot will go to mcdaid who is a real game changer. A brilliant footballer with a huge engine. He's just too good not to start.

Power will hold the keepers jersey and if Molloy is fit, I'd be surprised if there are any changes at the back. One thing for sure is that KW will have a very talented panel at his disposal and with a bit of luck, we could be in for an exciting campaign.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 19/05/2019 22:51:41    2185691

Link

Power
Silke
Sean Andy
Molloy if fit
Bradshaw
John Daly
Flynn
O'Curraoin
Walsh
Farragher
Comer if fit.
Burke"
That's a great team. But the manager could switch at least 6 of your choices and I would still say it's a great team. Just shows the strength of the panel.
Kelly if fit I cant see him not starting. I really want FOC to have a good year he deserves it coming back time and time again from injuries.

Management need to be quicker making changes in the forward line if lads arent doing well. No excuse too much talent on the bench not to. If we meet mayo we need to be disciplined. tensions always boil over. I dont want a maroon Jersey seeing a red card

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1011 - 19/05/2019 23:12:43    2185703

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Good to get the win today. F.O.C had a good first half in particular and so he deserves credit for battling back from a terrible injury. Silke showed his class throughout. Man of the match today but John Daly wasn't far behind him. Power gave a good solid performance. Brought a sense of calm to the position and didn't do anything daft. Found a maroon shirt for most of his kickouts and showed good hands under a couple high balls. You can't ask for much more than that.

Michael Daly played well in patches but kicked a few wides. Shane Walsh did ok by his standard. Ian Burke' s movement was good and he never stopped running. Heaney was quiet again and and will find it hard to keep his place ahead of mcdaid. Danny struggled up front. O laoi got on alot of ball and tried hard but may need to beef up a little. Great to see Martin farragher come on for the last 6 or 7 minutes. Took his goal brilliantly and kicked a point also. Showed his class and silenced any doubters out there. He should start CF now."
Mc Daid was a fabulous U21 and spent time in Australia but he'd has a bit to do yet to claim his place IMO.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 238 - 20/05/2019 08:43:55    2185739

Link

I have been saying for months that Martin Farragher should be on the team and a lot of posters here came out with the usual "there's a big difference between club and county" nonsense. He scored more in 5 minutes than all the other forwards scored in 65 minutes which proves my point that this man has to start and he'd be the first forward on my team-sheet from here on in.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 20/05/2019 09:08:07    2185742

Link

That would be a fairly mad team sheet if you are putting him down first ahead of Ian Burke or Shane Walsh.

He took them well but 1-1 in garbage time V Sligo lets calm down lads.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 20/05/2019 09:41:04    2185764

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I have been saying for months that Martin Farragher should be on the team and a lot of posters here came out with the usual "there's a big difference between club and county" nonsense. He scored more in 5 minutes than all the other forwards scored in 65 minutes which proves my point that this man has to start and he'd be the first forward on my team-sheet from here on in."
But there is a big difference between club and county. It's a fact. He came in and let it be known hes after that starting Jersey. I was delighted for him. if he has the same form in training then he will start v mayo. If he doesn't start it will be because other lads are playing better than him in training

Stop getting offended when people say theres a big difference between club and county . Or they are unproven at intercounty level. These arent attacks on any player . They are just facts. Most people want them to do well. Six minutes against sligo and you think he should be the first forward on the team sheet from here on out?

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1011 - 20/05/2019 09:53:22    2185770

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I have been saying for months that Martin Farragher should be on the team and a lot of posters here came out with the usual "there's a big difference between club and county" nonsense. He scored more in 5 minutes than all the other forwards scored in 65 minutes which proves my point that this man has to start and he'd be the first forward on my team-sheet from here on in."
Ah come on now.There is a difference between club and county, of course there is.
Also there is a difference between scoring 1-1 when the game is over and scoring it early in the game when things are tight.
That said I was delighted to see Martin Farragher introduced and doing well.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 20/05/2019 10:10:22    2185781

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "But there is a big difference between club and county. It's a fact. He came in and let it be known hes after that starting Jersey. I was delighted for him. if he has the same form in training then he will start v mayo. If he doesn't start it will be because other lads are playing better than him in training

Stop getting offended when people say theres a big difference between club and county . Or they are unproven at intercounty level. These arent attacks on any player . They are just facts. Most people want them to do well. Six minutes against sligo and you think he should be the first forward on the team sheet from here on out?"
My point is that these same "there is a big difference between club and county" posters are saying these things before the players in question have a chance to prove themselves in any game! They may have a point when these same players have been given many chances but haven't taken them but to dismiss them without giving them a chance in the first place is just not right IMHO.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 20/05/2019 10:33:38    2185795

Link

Agreed, no comparison whatsoever between garbage time v Sligo, and a Connacht Final v Mayo, trying to bate them 4 years running in championship. With all due respect to Roscommon!

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 20/05/2019 10:59:58    2185815

Link

Replying To Really:  "You are so right - indebted to KW. I'll tell you, no one will fancy playing against this brand of organised, Peigin Leitir Mor football."
How can you claim to be a Galway man and post things like this? Its embarrassing. Galway is Galway, and everything that it encapsulates. Being dismissive and derogatory to certain areas and trying to create divides only reflects badly on you.

Miami305 (Galway) - Posts: 136 - 20/05/2019 11:04:50    2185818

Link

Martin Farragher is a fine footballer. However, he will not get an easier goal and point in Inter-County football. Slow down with the calls to start him. Excellent option to have in the panel. He'll need further opportunities to nail down a starting position and yesterday won't have done that any harm.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 20/05/2019 12:24:43    2185875

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "My point is that these same "there is a big difference between club and county" posters are saying these things before the players in question have a chance to prove themselves in any game! They may have a point when these same players have been given many chances but haven't taken them but to dismiss them without giving them a chance in the first place is just not right IMHO."
When else would they say it? Hardly when they've played intercounty. It's not dismissing. Actual question for you how can you argue that they have yet to prove it at intercounty when people are saying it when they have yet to play intercounty ?

General consensus on here about the corofin lads is massively positive and people are cautiously optimistic about their addition to the panel. saying farragher is the 1st forward on the team sheet is an over the top reaction. So he is now ahead of Shane Walsh and Ian burke after 6 mins against a div 4 team

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1011 - 20/05/2019 12:39:37    2185883

Link

Good win and we move on. Few big weeks now to get ready for Ros/Mayo.

Liam silke was awesome yesterday. Long may form like that continue.

Full back lines discipline NEEDS to improve. Well be in trouble and targeted against better teams.

John Daly looks to be settling in nicely. Two good games for him to get under his belt. Can see him being a regular in the half back line for next 10 years.

FF line was missing comer yesterday. All players inside of too similar build and height. Need 2 of them 3 lads feeding off comer or even thought Daly could have been an option there and move out OLaoi.

I think if we get a few more lads back from injury we will be winning the nestor cup again this year. Will be watching Saturday evenings game with great interest.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 20/05/2019 13:31:34    2185902

Link