Galway Forum

Sligo V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Won by 13 points but very harsh scoreline on Sligo. 2 goals in a minute midway through the 2nd half and 1-2 during injury time glossed the scoreline for Galway.

This Galway side at the moment lets be honest are not All Ireland contender and their objective should be to reach another AI semi final which could be more difficult to do this summer if they don't win Connacht."
Not harsh on Sligo at all. They offered nothing except constant fouling. And don't get me started about the keeper trying to get Danny sent off!

Thought were missed a lot in the first half bit cut through them pretty well. Wad easy to predict at half time that they wouldn't hold out much longer. Big win, good to see Mcdaid, farragher etc back.

Awful pity about Molloy.i spoke to him after and he didn't seem to bothered about the injury so hopefully he's ok for final.

We really need a focal point in ff line.

All in all happy enough.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1116 - 19/05/2019 19:04:07    2185568

Link

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark when that full forward doesn't score between them. Big Kev is having this team playing football that ultimately can't win.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 250 - 19/05/2019 19:14:03    2185571

Link

Replying To festinog:  "On the one hand, Sligo parked the bus, even when they held the weather gage in the first half, so it was always going to be hard to score against them. Add to that, the fact they played out of their skins and you're left with a situation where most teams would struggle to score.

That said, Galway's wife count was daft, and they went a full quarter of the second half without scoring, or even really trying to, but when they got their goal chances they took them. They never got out of first gear for most of the game and I'm fairness they didn't need to; Sligo playing defensively never threatened. So I'm a way, this score line slightly flatters Sligo to be honest, the result was never in doubt."
I was among the 5,000 attendance saying the scoreline flattered Sligo is nonsense. Lets not forget Galway were every bit as defensive in that game as they restricted Sligo to 7 points over the 70 mins. I'd give the most credit to Sligo in that game especially 1st half for having themselves well organized and difficult to score against but once the 2 goals in the minute was scored the result was never in doubt but if the 13 point margin was cut in half you would get a fair reflection of that contest.

Best for Galway O'Curraoin the Daly brothers and Liam Silke. For me Power was no improvement in goal and can see him targeted in the Connacht final if started. Poor by Ian Burke, Danny Cummins not to score at all and the later can consider himself lucky not to see red early on.

Oh and i do agree the "wife" count in Galway is daft mad of some of them got men at all.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 291 - 19/05/2019 19:18:20    2185572

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Won by 13 points but very harsh scoreline on Sligo. 2 goals in a minute midway through the 2nd half and 1-2 during injury time glossed the scoreline for Galway.

This Galway side at the moment lets be honest are not All Ireland contender and their objective should be to reach another AI semi final which could be more difficult to do this summer if they don't win Connacht."
Gaa_lover you are consistent if anything. On all Galway football threads you have very little good to say about us. That of course is fine but I look forward to day when you give us some credit. And for the record if we are not all Ireland contenders there are very few if any outside Dublin who are. And remember we have key players out at the same time which no other county can claim at the moment.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1655 - 19/05/2019 19:22:32    2185574

Link

4th consecutive provincial final under Walsh.

One appearance in the seven before it.

Perspective.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 19/05/2019 19:27:11    2185581

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Gaa_lover you are consistent if anything. On all Galway football threads you have very little good to say about us. That of course is fine but I look forward to day when you give us some credit. And for the record if we are not all Ireland contenders there are very few if any outside Dublin who are. And remember we have key players out at the same time which no other county can claim at the moment."
I am consistent and will always call things as i see them. Mayo folk also got upset when they thought i never said anything good about them which for both Galway and Mayo is totally untrue. Now you Galway posters can knock yourselves out if you want to believe that wasn't a flattering margin of victory today.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2469 - 19/05/2019 19:42:43    2185588

Link

Anyone commenting that Danny was lucky not to be sent off didn't see the incident. Shameful stuff by the Sligo goalkeeper.

Sligo were woeful. Would do well to win a club game in Galway.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 458 - 19/05/2019 19:50:01    2185590

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "4th consecutive provincial final under Walsh.

Perspective."
You are so right - indebted to KW. I'll tell you, no one will fancy playing against this brand of organised, Peigin Leitir Mor football.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 364 - 19/05/2019 19:56:40    2185594

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "4th consecutive provincial final under Walsh.

Perspective."
Now now stop talking sense. People won't like it.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1076 - 19/05/2019 19:59:52    2185599

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Not harsh on Sligo at all. They offered nothing except constant fouling. And don't get me started about the keeper trying to get Danny sent off!

Thought were missed a lot in the first half bit cut through them pretty well. Wad easy to predict at half time that they wouldn't hold out much longer. Big win, good to see Mcdaid, farragher etc back.

Awful pity about Molloy.i spoke to him after and he didn't seem to bothered about the injury so hopefully he's ok for final.

All in all happy enough."
Totally agree. Sligo did very well, to keep the scorline tight for 40 odd minutes. If Eamonn Kilgannon had played in the NFL they would not be div 4 now. He was good and not at fault for any of the goals. Had they concentrated on football they could have done much better, but got away with lots of persistant fouling that not many other refs would tolerate. Not surprised to see them park the bus but 7 points down and 10 minutes to go they were holding on to the ball kile a team 10 points up. Galway new additions playing together for the first time did ok and will do much better. No pressure, at least no pressure like last year on them going into the final, same for Mayo (if they get there) althogh the green and red need to beat Galway to break the losing run. Galway need to win one of their next 2 games to be in the suber 8s and have a good chance of doing so.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 986 - 19/05/2019 20:12:31    2185610

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Not harsh on Sligo at all. They offered nothing except constant fouling. And don't get me started about the keeper trying to get Danny sent off!

All in all happy enough."
Great news 're Molloy. Hopefully it's not too serious

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 316 - 19/05/2019 20:21:40    2185617

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "I am consistent and will always call things as i see them. Mayo folk also got upset when they thought i never said anything good about them which for both Galway and Mayo is totally untrue. Now you Galway posters can knock yourselves out if you want to believe that wasn't a flattering margin of victory today."
Flattering maybe and lots to work on of course. But I still think an evolving situation albeit slow. Curve is upwards. Solid Div 1 team with many faults. Not a bit upset and Galway football folk I know astute but self critical. Our major concern bar injuries is KW allowing a more adventurous style in light of the significant inroads he has made with this squad.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1655 - 19/05/2019 20:25:15    2185620

Link

Well hard to know what to make of that
Such a pity regarding K Molloy's injury, looked like he was settling in well while he was on
Hope we are not going at full throttle or we are in bother
Today's full forward line do not give the option of a long ball and because of that our play is more lateral and predictable but with a couple of injuries sorted this will be easily sorted
Power, fine no problems
Kerin, a yellow again
SA, was wrestling with Hughes early on like a pair of bullocks, but the quality of ball being sent into Hughes was Hail Mary at best stuff
Silke, class, massive addition
Molloy, feckin injury, looked to be driving forward the couple of times he got the ball
Bradshaw, good
Daly, couple of great turnovers
Flynn, solid
Fiontain, delighted for him, seemed up for it and fought for ball on the floor and in the air
Shane, not fully switched on
M Daly, 2 points, 2 wides
Heaney, I thought was quite enough
O laoi, struggled
Burke, quite enough
Danny, had a poor game
GOD, very lateral when on the ball
Mc Daid, great to see him come on
Brannigan, nice point
Finnerty, looked sharp
Farragher, good goal and poin

A win is a win but that full forward line needs to be bulked up

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 210 - 19/05/2019 20:36:14    2185626

Link

Replying To Really:  "You are so right - indebted to KW. I'll tell you, no one will fancy playing against this brand of organised, Peigin Leitir Mor football."
You do realise I'm not from Connemara? And even if I was, why is there the need for such condescending sarcasm towards that part of Galway football?

You wouldn't see such petty nonsense with Mayo supporters. It's embarrassing some of our "support" feel the need to perpetuate this divide when it comes to inter-county football!

Facts are facts though. Without even playing well we've reached yet another Connacht Final. A farcry from the days of losing games by a point to Antrim in the qualifiers and more like it in the previous 10 years!

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 19/05/2019 20:39:12    2185629

Link

Good to get the win today. F.O.C had a good first half in particular and so he deserves credit for battling back from a terrible injury. Silke showed his class throughout. Man of the match today but John Daly wasn't far behind him. Power gave a good solid performance. Brought a sense of calm to the position and didn't do anything daft. Found a maroon shirt for most of his kickouts and showed good hands under a couple high balls. You can't ask for much more than that.

Michael Daly played well in patches but kicked a few wides. Shane Walsh did ok by his standard. Ian Burke' s movement was good and he never stopped running. Heaney was quiet again and and will find it hard to keep his place ahead of mcdaid. Danny struggled up front. O laoi got on alot of ball and tried hard but may need to beef up a little. Great to see Martin farragher come on for the last 6 or 7 minutes. Took his goal brilliantly and kicked a point also. Showed his class and silenced any doubters out there. He should start CF now.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 19/05/2019 20:39:55    2185630

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Anyone commenting that Danny was lucky not to be sent off didn't see the incident. Shameful stuff by the Sligo goalkeeper.

Sligo were woeful. Would do well to win a club game in Galway."
Never mind in Galway.They'd do well to win a club game in Sligo!

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1175 - 19/05/2019 20:39:56    2185631

Link

Against a very poor Sligo team our top scorer from play was a corner back, our next highest scorer from play was a sub that came on in the 66th minute!
Our starting 6 forwards scored 4 times between them from play.
Worrying stats!

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 718 - 19/05/2019 20:49:18    2185638

Link

Was in Sligo 2 day achieve what they set out 2 getting to another Connacht final ,but was poor game overall when ur corner back and a sub in for maybe for 6 mins are ur top scores not good , full forward line no score against a poor Sligo team and v London maybe 3 points hopefully Dugan , Cooke , comer , varley will be available for final otherwise big trouble ahead just my observation from being at both matches so far ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 391 - 19/05/2019 20:51:28    2185640

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "You do realise I'm not from Connemara? And even if I was, why is there the need for such condescending sarcasm towards that part of Galway football?

You wouldn't see such petty nonsense with Mayo supporters. It's embarrassing some of our "support" feel the need to perpetuate this divide when it comes to inter-county football!

Facts are facts though. Without even playing well we've reached yet another Connacht Final. A farcry from the days of losing games by a point to Antrim in the qualifiers and more like it in the previous 10 years!"
You're Defo not from CONAMARA!
Agree with Star here, Tá go leór amadáns thart!

MTS (Galway) - Posts: 259 - 19/05/2019 21:00:44    2185642

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Anyone commenting that Danny was lucky not to be sent off didn't see the incident. Shameful stuff by the Sligo goalkeeper.

Sligo were woeful. Would do well to win a club game in Galway."
Sligo Keeper should be ashamed of himself he should play soccer if that's the crap he wants to be at

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 19/05/2019 21:13:36    2185648

Link