Galway Forum

Sligo V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well lads what's the story.

Who is still on injury list? Any of Mcdaid, Kyne, Cooke, Duggan close to return?

Comer mid June, Conroy late summer? Who else is missing? Is Wall in squad or not?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1038 - 11/05/2019 21:18:55    2183159

Link

Maybe Bernard Power should get a run to see what he brings to the squad.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1301 - 12/05/2019 20:36:26    2183385

Link

Hopefully we will see a much improved performance against Sligo. There should be a few changes to the team sheet but I wouldn't bet on it. It's unlikely we'll see any change to our game plan either which will suit Sligo. They will be at home and that should be worth a few points to them. For obvious reasons, they'll know all about KW's tactics.

We'll need to get out of the blocks quickly and rack up a few scores. A repeat of last week's tactics won't allow that. If Sligo can hold us close until halftime, they'll fancy themselves to cause an upset. Having said that, we should have too much for them in the end. Galway by 3 or 4 points but I wouldn't be shocked if it's closer than that with our current game plan and team selections

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 13/05/2019 20:45:39    2183806

Link

I'd expect a much bigger performance than ruislip. Sligo finished rock bottom of Div 4 with zero points and -48 points difference so if we don't go down there and put up a big score and have the game killed by half time there's something up.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 13/05/2019 21:17:43    2183819

Link

Replying To tribesman125:  "I'd expect a much bigger performance than ruislip. Sligo finished rock bottom of Div 4 with zero points and -48 points difference so if we don't go down there and put up a big score and have the game killed by half time there's something up."
Sligo will be step up from London. They finished bottom of division 3. They lost every game but were slightly unlucky at times. I'd agree with you about trying to have the game put to bed by halftime but I can't see how with our ultra defensive set up.

To wrap the game up by hslftime, we'll need the likes of Molloy starting but he doesn't seem to be in favour with management due to his attacking instincts I'd say. 4 or 5 subs ahead of him last week so i dont think we'll see him at all.

Martin farragher and leonard are in the same boat too. Our forwards missed alot against London so there should be changes. But again, i doubt if they'll even be in the match day 26.

I expect us to sit back, concede possession and try and hit them on the break. Maybe they'll go man to man but I doubt it and so Sligo will stay in touch for alot longer than most people predict and could cause an upset.

Burke and Walsh will probably have too much class for Sligo and will do enough to get us over the line but I don't expect a runaway victory as our system and team selection will curtail us up front.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 13/05/2019 22:01:39    2183832

Link

Replying To tribesman125:  "I'd expect a much bigger performance than ruislip. Sligo finished rock bottom of Div 4 with zero points and -48 points difference so if we don't go down there and put up a big score and have the game killed by half time there's something up."
*Div 3

Give us some credit ;)

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 257 - 13/05/2019 22:05:59    2183834

Link

The Sligo manager has gone with a very young panel as far as I know
and that might explain their league performance it was a sink or swim job
and there learning the hard way and gaining experience at senior level along the way

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1069 - 13/05/2019 22:54:11    2183846

Link

The current state of Sligo football must be at the lowest ebb it's ever been . We are the only team in the four divisions without a point . Relegated to Division 4 with two games left . When was the last time we saw Leitrim playing a division above us which will be the case next year ? Our score deficit is deplorable . The calls for a second tier championship because teams will be playing against teams at their own level - haven't taken into account the likes of Sligo getting hammered by everyone except Down so far ! A system was put in place 10/12 years ago in the county to rejuvenate the underage structures and we should be seeing that come to fruition now surely but it's backwards the county is going . The club structures need a drastic overhaul . We never seem to compete at Connacht club level , I would certainly advocate an amalgamation of some clubs like the Kerry system whereby the best players in every club get a chance to play club football at the highest possible level , still allowing them to compete for their local clubs at junior / intermediate also . This would also enhance the county set up with the senior management team getting an opportunity to see all the best players competing at a higher level . A proper divisional round robin system could be introduced either as an an alternative to this amalgamation with the best players in each division playing for their respective areas . People saying we don't have the players at the moment are partially correct but I'd argue why don't we ? The amount of time and money that has been put in place over the last 10-15 years on our underage and grass roots set up should have us being seriously competitive now , not the laughing stock of the country and whipping boys for average teams across the country . Serious questions need to be answered and heads need to roll . The county board and our clubs have pumped millions into an excellent facility in Scarden but let's be honest , it's in the wrong place . Who does it actually suit . Markievicz Park should have been sold during the boom as it can never be developed properly , a proper county pitch and training centre of excellence should be on a greenfield site around Collooney which would suit every area of the county and a proper nodal point for traffic also . Other small counties have punched above their weight with limited resources and numbers . Look at Monaghan , Fermanagh for example and compare our achievements over the past 10 years to theirs ?? Numbers are dwindling going to matches both for club and county , supporters would be hard pressed to know 5 or 6 players now and they used to be able to rhyme them off the tip of their tongue . A serious review is needed in the county with more input from supporters . The county board appears to be a closed shop with decisions being made at the top table with little or no consultation with the clubs . Any decent proposals are regularly shot down and dismissed by the same people in the room the last 20 years . Players around the county need more of a voice , don't be allowing players from 30 years ago make all the decisions around tables in a county forum .Football has changed a lot since then but Sligo unfortunately is lagging way behind the pack with little hope of improvement in the near future .
A disgruntled Sligo fan !

Gaafanfromthewest18 (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 05/03/2019 10:49:54 2170340

going on the above post things not not looking good in sligo

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1069 - 13/05/2019 23:00:57    2183848

Link

Replying To republican:  "*Div 3

Give us some credit ;)"
Apologies republican. Meant div 3 hit the wrong number on my keypad.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 13/05/2019 23:39:05    2183858

Link

Sligo have a decent record against Galway in recent years apart from 2018. Galway will need to be up for this as I would expect Sligo to go long their FF line every chance they get.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 974 - 14/05/2019 14:07:41    2183982

Link

A comfortable win. Expect a reaction to the last performance plus don't expect much challenge from Sligo in return. All about building momentum for August opposed to laying down a marker in May

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 15/05/2019 14:00:03    2184306

Link

At this stage a 4/5 point win again will do just fine this time of year. Fingers off the panic buttons please.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 15/05/2019 15:57:45    2184341

Link

Game should be over as a contest with 20 minutes to go. Gives us a chance to get a look at some players off the bench.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 76 - 15/05/2019 18:13:09    2184375

Link

Sligo are unable to defend and this will be ideal opportunity for Galway to clock up a big score. Important that Galway folk don't get carried away with a big victory as Sligo are probably at their lowest ever ebb.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2438 - 16/05/2019 02:04:24    2184455

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "Sligo are unable to defend and this will be ideal opportunity for Galway to clock up a big score. Important that Galway folk don't get carried away with a big victory as Sligo are probably at their lowest ever ebb."
Bernard Power
Eoghan Kerin, Seán Andy Ó'Ceallaigh, Liam Silke,
Kieran Molloy, Gareth Bradshaw, John Daly,
Tom Flynn, Fiontán Ó'Curraoin,
Shane Walsh, Michael Daly, Johnny Heaney,
Antaine Ó'Laoí, Ian Burke, Danny Cummins.

Interesting to see a number of changes. Maybe KW was reading this forum! All in all a good team. Think it's harsh on Lavelle imo but a chance for Power to stake his claim.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 16/05/2019 13:24:01    2184586

Link

Power in, silke in, Molloy in, Burke in. Good stuff

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 16/05/2019 13:52:01    2184594

Link

Not a bad team. Will be interesting how balanced it is.

Molloy had to get in. Power/Lavelle is 50 50 call. Interesting to see O'Curraoin stay. Good option to have. I'd be worried though if this was Mayo. Think we need Cooke and Duggan with Flynn.

Any news on Mcdaid and our injured midfielders?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1038 - 16/05/2019 15:10:09    2184636

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Power in, silke in, Molloy in, Burke in. Good stuff"
Didn't Silke start against London?

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2588 - 16/05/2019 16:09:05    2184656

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Not a bad team. Will be interesting how balanced it is.

Molloy had to get in. Power/Lavelle is 50 50 call. Interesting to see O'Curraoin stay. Good option to have. I'd be worried though if this was Mayo. Think we need Cooke and Duggan with Flynn.

Any news on Mcdaid and our injured midfielders?"
Mcdaid and Comer back doing light running. Comer should make Mayo game. Mcdaid might struggle to to be available in time but should be ok for super 8's. Not sure duggan is doing

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 16/05/2019 21:22:32    2184731

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Didn't Silke start against London?"
Yup and Burke. That fella is to concerned about other teams doesn't even know who's playing for Galway

Galway2019 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 16/05/2019 21:28:48    2184734

Link