Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To kazoochka:  ""Ive been standing by management all year" ie crying about not enough corofin players in the team lol.

Mayo drew with London and then made the all ireland final a few years ago people Need to relax. Id be more worried if we were flying on top of the ground first week of may as it would suggest our training schedule is about 2 months out of wack"
Prove once where I cried for more corofin players? I haven't.. but we are making the same mistakes in each game, goals v Tyrone and again yesterday, players fumbling, slipping. We will continue to get punished.
Bringing on Bradshaw ahead of Molloy was ridiculous, he needs to be giving the younger lads experience .

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 06/05/2019 10:47:21    2182080

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Intensity, from the off, no messing, no men behind the ball against the minnows. Set the pace from the off.. That was Mayo, Galway all the opposite.."
It's New York. Relax.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 06/05/2019 11:26:29    2182085

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "The performance today shouldn't be a shock to anyone. The team selected was poor. The tactics are crude and are outdated. The ommission of molloy in particular is quite shocking. Martin farragher and leonard not even subs. Power on the bench. Steede not even in the panel. KW doesn't seem to be accountable to anyone.

Based on our current form and KW's team selections, the Sligo game could be a real banana skin. There is a real chance that Sligo could push us all the way and pull off an upset.

Mayo will be alot stronger this year. They are full of confidence and their players appear to be enjoying their football. They won't fear Galway. I would think James Horan is delighted to see the likes of Molloy, Power and Farragher not starting and will be hoping that this continues. I certainly don't think we will beat them if KW continues to ignore the likes of Molloy, Power and farragher.

Its fair to say that Molloy is one of the most exciting talents in the game. He should have started today or at the very least he should have come on as a sub. I think his class is obvious to everyone apart from KW."
There is only one person genuinely offended by Lavelle starting. You need to let it go and realise Power hasn't done enough to justify starting in his fourth season in the panel.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 06/05/2019 11:35:15    2182086

Link

Strange how Belclare is so suddenly critical of the Galway management and how the team are playing as when other posters were critical for several months / years now, Belclare was the first to hop to their defence! It was a very poor display yet again - KW has brought as much to the table as he can and its not good enough. The same porous fullback line and awful defending plus the same slow ponderous build-up play that breaks down more often than not is really disheartening to see with so much talent at their disposal that is going to waste e.g. Power, Molloy, Farragher, Leonard, Wall. They may scrape a win over Sligo (although I wouldn't be putting a big bet on it!) but then will fail miserably in the Connacht final.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 06/05/2019 12:01:10    2182092

Link

Was at match yesterday it was brutal display London are one of lowest ranked teams in the league and we struggle to put them away and they had a great chance for goal in last 10 mins to put them in front, Kieran molloy got club player of year in Ireland and can't make a Galway team pure madness I woukd not blamehim if he pulled out of panel at this stage there were players on yesterday that would struggle make corofin subs and I'm not from corofin definitely yesterday was worse ever under present magement no point posters on here saying it only first round they only 6 weeks from potential Connacht final not guaranteed at all , they would be better off to have played a round of club championship matches over last few weeks instead of what they were at ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 06/05/2019 13:57:09    2182122

Link

The biggest concern coming out of Ruislip is the loss in form of some players, there are issues in every line now. Paul Conroy is badly missed also as the scoring from the middle is too low. A big improvement is needed or the qualifers will here sooner than anybody wants. The finishing yesterday was very poor and the conversion rate from clear goal chances is also worrying.

The positive thing was the return of Fintain O'Curraoin who played when when introduced.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 06/05/2019 14:00:27    2182123

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "There is only one person genuinely offended by Lavelle starting. You need to let it go and realise Power hasn't done enough to justify starting in his fourth season in the panel."
How do you know he hasn't done enough. All evidence points to the contrary. He has 3 all ireland medals in his back pocket. Maybe he should give up club football altogether. Is that your solution

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 06/05/2019 14:37:41    2182128

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "There is only one person genuinely offended by Lavelle starting. You need to let it go and realise Power hasn't done enough to justify starting in his fourth season in the panel."
Lavelle nearly got caught [again] out with short kick to the wing yesterday. The London forward got a fingertip to the kickout and had he been able to hold onto it would have been through on goal.

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 762 - 06/05/2019 14:39:25    2182130

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Strange how Belclare is so suddenly critical of the Galway management and how the team are playing as when other posters were critical for several months / years now, Belclare was the first to hop to their defence! It was a very poor display yet again - KW has brought as much to the table as he can and its not good enough. The same porous fullback line and awful defending plus the same slow ponderous build-up play that breaks down more often than not is really disheartening to see with so much talent at their disposal that is going to waste e.g. Power, Molloy, Farragher, Leonard, Wall. They may scrape a win over Sligo (although I wouldn't be putting a big bet on it!) but then will fail miserably in the Connacht final."
Tommy I will always question your views because basically you are like a broken record and have no idea. Firstly if you read my post I mean read it, you will see how I said that results in div 1 over the last few years mean that Kevin was always in a strong position, however after yesterday struggling poorly against the second worst team playing at inter county, he deserves criticism. Secondly you are on for catapulting all the corofin lads straight into the team when I can tell you and I'm not ashamed to admit it, at least three of them are not up to inter county football, there is a massive difference between club and county. I do believe Kieren Molloy should have got game time yesterday and I would worry about making the same basic mistakes, but as usual you are talking out of your .....

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 06/05/2019 14:48:10    2182132

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "How do you know he hasn't done enough. All evidence points to the contrary. He has 3 all ireland medals in his back pocket. Maybe he should give up club football altogether. Is that your solution"
Great point, but our Tuam friend as one big chip on his shoulder so he will continue to argue..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 06/05/2019 15:04:39    2182136

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Strange how Belclare is so suddenly critical of the Galway management and how the team are playing as when other posters were critical for several months / years now, Belclare was the first to hop to their defence! It was a very poor display yet again - KW has brought as much to the table as he can and its not good enough. The same porous fullback line and awful defending plus the same slow ponderous build-up play that breaks down more often than not is really disheartening to see with so much talent at their disposal that is going to waste e.g. Power, Molloy, Farragher, Leonard, Wall. They may scrape a win over Sligo (although I wouldn't be putting a big bet on it!) but then will fail miserably in the Connacht final."
We beat Sligo by about 20 last year would you ever get a grip?

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 06/05/2019 15:31:37    2182139

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Any sign of Dylan wall.????"
He hasn't been there over the past few weeks. It seems he doesn't fit the '15 men behind the ball' tactics Kevin is striving to reinforce. Wall is not injured, nor is Martin Farragher for that matter.

PopeFrancis19 (Galway) - Posts: 24 - 06/05/2019 15:39:25    2182142

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Tommy I will always question your views because basically you are like a broken record and have no idea. Firstly if you read my post I mean read it, you will see how I said that results in div 1 over the last few years mean that Kevin was always in a strong position, however after yesterday struggling poorly against the second worst team playing at inter county, he deserves criticism. Secondly you are on for catapulting all the corofin lads straight into the team when I can tell you and I'm not ashamed to admit it, at least three of them are not up to inter county football, there is a massive difference between club and county. I do believe Kieren Molloy should have got game time yesterday and I would worry about making the same basic mistakes, but as usual you are talking out of your ....."
It is you that is always talking out of your proverbial! You were spouting rubbish on here anytime was critical of the team / tactics in the past and now you change your tune whenever you feel like it but continue to try to rubbish other people's opinions. How do you know that the Corofin players "are not up to inter county football"? Posters like yourself were saying the same thing about Ian Burke when I (amongst others) were arguing for his inclusion and of course he ended up winning an allstar last year!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 06/05/2019 17:01:04    2182159

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Was at match yesterday it was brutal display London are one of lowest ranked teams in the league and we struggle to put them away and they had a great chance for goal in last 10 mins to put them in front, Kieran molloy got club player of year in Ireland and can't make a Galway team pure madness I woukd not blamehim if he pulled out of panel at this stage there were players on yesterday that would struggle make corofin subs and I'm not from corofin definitely yesterday was worse ever under present magement no point posters on here saying it only first round they only 6 weeks from potential Connacht final not guaranteed at all , they would be better off to have played a round of club championship matches over last few weeks instead of what they were at ,"
Absolutely - at last someone making sense on this forum!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 06/05/2019 17:05:12    2182160

Link

By God lads are getting very wound up after games against London & New York!
By all accounts we were poor but we got the win which was what mattered.If we beat London by 20 points ( as we have done in the past) do what?
By all accounts Mayo we good but again so what? They are great at winning games with no pressure on.
We should see improvement against Sligo and again in the Connacht final.
Have faith.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 06/05/2019 17:47:39    2182166

Link

Replying To PopeFrancis19:  "He hasn't been there over the past few weeks. It seems he doesn't fit the '15 men behind the ball' tactics Kevin is striving to reinforce. Wall is not injured, nor is Martin Farragher for that matter."
Your spot on there,as well as the ghost injures,it was Kevin's diplomatic way of saying they were not part of the panel.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 06/05/2019 18:38:41    2182172

Link

Replying To crafty:  "We saw from Corofin what Galway football could be but what we have instead is this awful stuff. To be beaten in Sligo could be a good thing as it could bring to an end this awful management we have at present."
Disgraceful to wish for your own county to lose. I hope you don't attend games . Never under the pessimists sitting in the crowds wearing maroon and white but just bad mouth the team and management and barely clap when we score. Sure enough every game I attend theres always a few

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1005 - 06/05/2019 18:39:34    2182173

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "How do you know he hasn't done enough. All evidence points to the contrary. He has 3 all ireland medals in his back pocket. Maybe he should give up club football altogether. Is that your solution"
Power is good enough to be no 1 but so is lavelle. I've zero issue with either starting. We are in a good position in that area.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1005 - 06/05/2019 18:45:58    2182174

Link

When he is by a distance a better keeper than Lavelle then you will have a point. I've seen enough of both to say there is little between them with Lavelle being slightly ahead. And of all positions goalkeeper is not affected as much in relation to his club role. To me. He currently is not a better all round keeper than Lavelle.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 441 - 06/05/2019 19:13:30    2182178

Link

We had a weak team out yesterday
Leave aside the goalkeeper
The two cornerbacks are not man markers and the half back and half forward lines were weak
Plenty to work on but if your backs are not good enough for man to man then we do need a blanket, otherwise we need to start scoring a lot more
Onwards and up wards

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 196 - 06/05/2019 20:23:33    2182183

Link