Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Really:  "If only we had a traditional Tuam Stars/Dunmore element to the team... No stopping the Aran lads now - especially with 3 data coverage on the way... lol"
Ya we need to go to tuam and dunmore to help us win an all Ireland........ridiculous

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 05/05/2019 17:48:29    2181981

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Level at half time, London the better team, disgraceful display from the team and manager, their inter county futures are all on the line.."
Again I'm blaming management. Entire team collapses for periods as they do constantly.it's the managements fault that the lads heads aren't mentally prepared. The biggest roadblock in challenging for Sam will not be the lack of talent it's the mentality of the team.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 05/05/2019 17:50:45    2181982

Link

Stop this panicked nonsense. It was a necessary evil that was carried out in sluggish fashion. Job done. Simple as that.

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 05/05/2019 18:11:14    2181985

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Again I'm blaming management. Entire team collapses for periods as they do constantly.it's the managements fault that the lads heads aren't mentally prepared. The biggest roadblock in challenging for Sam will not be the lack of talent it's the mentality of the team."
After London, i'd be worried for the summer. If we are not beating London and controlling the game, no insult to them, but what chance against Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry, etc never mind Dublin.
Is it too late to let the lads play football instead of all the 'behind the ball' nonsense?

Mayfair (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 05/05/2019 18:22:50    2181990

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Again I'm blaming management. Entire team collapses for periods as they do constantly.it's the managements fault that the lads heads aren't mentally prepared. The biggest roadblock in challenging for Sam will not be the lack of talent it's the mentality of the team."
Ffs. The roadblock, sorry - barbed wire, is sterile negative tactics. Couldn't believe KW's interview where he inferred other top teams were playing similar defensive systems to Galway. Get real - when you have talented players e.g. Corofin in club - play positive football and you WILL succeed.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 05/05/2019 18:37:28    2181995

Link

Replying To Mayfair:  "After London, i'd be worried for the summer. If we are not beating London and controlling the game, no insult to them, but what chance against Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry, etc never mind Dublin.
Is it too late to let the lads play football instead of all the 'behind the ball' nonsense?"
Well said Mayfair. It was dreadful stuff. You'd hope we couldn't be as bad again. The slow, ponderous build up time after time. And we were opened up far too easily. London should have had another 2 goals, and missed a couple of points late on.

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 762 - 05/05/2019 18:43:25    2182000

Link

Replying To Mayfair:  "After London, i'd be worried for the summer. If we are not beating London and controlling the game, no insult to them, but what chance against Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry, etc never mind Dublin.
Is it too late to let the lads play football instead of all the 'behind the ball' nonsense?"
We won it wasnt impressive but we move on. Hopefully a reminder to the lads we are not world beaters. Sterner tests to come and hopefully a serious reality check. if and when we come up against Mayo it will be a serious battle. Not that long ago Mayo completely dominated connacht . We are a good team but we have a lot of bad performances problem seems to be swept under the carpet every time we have a good performance and the collapse is treated as a blip

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 05/05/2019 18:46:40    2182001

Link

First round won
Need to peak for the Connacht final, should beat Sligo
Then the first big test of the year on the middle of June
Five weeks more for the Corofin lads to bed in and five weeks more for injuries to clear up
Also, missing today from the AI semi Squad from last year due mostly to injuries were:
Kyne
Sweeney
Sweeney
Varley
Duggan
Armstrong
Kelly
Comer
Cooke
Regarding blanket, we don't have man to man markers to go without it
Also from the news it looked like Kerin was roasted for the goal
The lads whinging about the management should just restart yer "Kevin Walshe needs to go" thread now, if ye have the balls, but ye probably don't

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 198 - 05/05/2019 20:30:49    2182016

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "First round won
Five weeks more for the Corofin lads to bed in and five weeks more for injuries to clear up
Also, missing today from the AI semi Squad from last year due mostly to injuries were:
Kyne
Sweeney
Sweeney
Varley
Duggan
Armstrong
Kelly
Comer
Cooke
The lads whinging about the management should just restart yer "Kevin Walshe needs to go" thread now, if ye have the balls, but ye probably don't"
I've been standing by the management in Div 1 of the league regarding results but today was the final straw, again judging by the commentary we had no intensity, why? Mayo were 15 points to no score up on New York after 20 mins.. Horan has them on track we are all over the shop, injuries? Stop using that, its London ffs. Time to taxi or get off the pot for Kevin Walsh..
What was worse was Kevin Dwyer on Galway bay asking ridiculous questions, never asked him why we were so under par, why Kieran molloy didn't get game time..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 05/05/2019 20:52:04    2182019

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "I've been standing by the management in Div 1 of the league regarding results but today was the final straw, again judging by the commentary we had no intensity, why? Mayo were 15 points to no score up on New York after 20 mins.. Horan has them on track we are all over the shop, injuries? Stop using that, its London ffs. Time to taxi or get off the pot for Kevin Walsh..
What was worse was Kevin Dwyer on Galway bay asking ridiculous questions, never asked him why we were so under par, why Kieran molloy didn't get game time.."
Go on, you know you want to!!!!

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 198 - 05/05/2019 21:03:01    2182021

Link

Belclare your getting awfully exercised over a first round fixture. We were excellent in the league despite so many injuries. Relax man. We will peek for the mayo match/ connacht final and take them by 3 in the stadium. Chill man!

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 05/05/2019 21:07:20    2182024

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "First round won
Kyne
Sweeney
Sweeney
Varley
Duggan
Armstrong
Kelly
Comer
Cooke
The lads whinging about the management should just restart yer "Kevin Walshe needs to go" thread now, if ye have the balls, but ye probably don't"
If management think we need to play defensively to win then so be it . They know better than us. As that seems to be the case I think paddy tally was a big loss because as far as i can see the lads were better drilled on what to do . As it currently stands if one defender has an off day the whole system breaks down and we can be cut open

However i don't agree with you saying we don't have the footballers to go man to man. I really think we do. We did it against roscommon in the second half of the connacht final and they didn't know what to do. After the Kerry game it was my favorite moment of 2018. how the lads and management were able to regroup and came out a different animal and really showed their skill. It'd be a dream if we meet Mayo in the final and could do it again. But I'll be honest I take an ugly win over an entertaining loss. But Mayo have one eye on galway and we need to be ready.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 05/05/2019 21:15:03    2182025

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "I've been standing by the management in Div 1 of the league regarding results but today was the final straw, again judging by the commentary we had no intensity, why? Mayo were 15 points to no score up on New York after 20 mins.. Horan has them on track we are all over the shop, injuries? Stop using that, its London ffs. Time to taxi or get off the pot for Kevin Walsh..
What was worse was Kevin Dwyer on Galway bay asking ridiculous questions, never asked him why we were so under par, why Kieran molloy didn't get game time.."
Tell me the tangible benefits of scoring 15 points in 20 mins against a team who play one competitive game a year?

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 05/05/2019 21:15:25    2182026

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Tell me the tangible benefits of scoring 15 points in 20 mins against a team who play one competitive game a year?"
Intensity, from the off, no messing, no men behind the ball against the minnows. Set the pace from the off.. That was Mayo, Galway all the opposite..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 05/05/2019 21:43:20    2182031

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Tell me the tangible benefits of scoring 15 points in 20 mins against a team who play one competitive game a year?"
It's called intensity, laying down a marker, against the second lowest rated team playing the game.. but you dont see that..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 05/05/2019 22:08:58    2182040

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Belclare your getting awfully exercised over a first round fixture. We were excellent in the league despite so many injuries. Relax man. We will peek for the mayo match/ connacht final and take them by 3 in the stadium. Chill man!"
We saw from Corofin what Galway football could be but what we have instead is this awful stuff. To be beaten in Sligo could be a good thing as it could bring to an end this awful management we have at present.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 05/05/2019 23:01:42    2182052

Link

As the man in Doolin said after the match.....Galway were awful lucky it wasnt the Cork ladies football team they were playing.....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 05/05/2019 23:31:31    2182055

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Belclare your getting awfully exercised over a first round fixture. We were excellent in the league despite so many injuries. Relax man. We will peek for the mayo match/ connacht final and take them by 3 in the stadium. Chill man!"
The performance today shouldn't be a shock to anyone. The team selected was poor. The tactics are crude and are outdated. The ommission of molloy in particular is quite shocking. Martin farragher and leonard not even subs. Power on the bench. Steede not even in the panel. KW doesn't seem to be accountable to anyone.

Based on our current form and KW's team selections, the Sligo game could be a real banana skin. There is a real chance that Sligo could push us all the way and pull off an upset.

Mayo will be alot stronger this year. They are full of confidence and their players appear to be enjoying their football. They won't fear Galway. I would think James Horan is delighted to see the likes of Molloy, Power and Farragher not starting and will be hoping that this continues. I certainly don't think we will beat them if KW continues to ignore the likes of Molloy, Power and farragher.

Its fair to say that Molloy is one of the most exciting talents in the game. He should have started today or at the very least he should have come on as a sub. I think his class is obvious to everyone apart from KW.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 06/05/2019 00:11:24    2182057

Link

That was a massively disappointing effort against London today. Granted, its early doors in the Championship and London is a bit of an odd fixture sometimes but really, what was going on with Galway's game plan? While its nice to give management the benefit of the doubt, as they're the ones working with these players almost every day, I wonder what we're doing to genuinely turn this talented group into potential AI winners? We categorically cannot and will not win titles playing back-pedaling football. Our attacking plan wasn't looking like its anywhere near the required level. With such an array of talent, even accounting for injuries, Galway should be putting a margin of 10+ points on London, not limping to a win against bottom of Div 4 opposition. London, to their immense credit, could actually have put us away. If they had a couple more rubs of the green, they might have.
Learning to defend more effectively has been essential and we've seen Galway advance a lot in the last couple of years off the back of it. And that work has to continue. But what is happening with our offensive planning? With these players, Galway fans should get to enjoy proper attacking football. Galway supporters are just crying out to see some all-out football - where the lads can have a real cut when attacking. Let's stop the back pedaling and go to Sligo with a cohesive and well-drilled attacking plan, please!! Time to strike fear into a few teams. If we could just bring some pace, venom, and much more controlled aggression, it could be a joy to watch. If we get it right and these lads click on a given day then I've no doubt it could be devastating. We want to see it. I'm sure the players want to bring it. They need to become tigers now and show leadership on the field too - management won't drive it over the bar for ye. If Galway support is to wake up in big numbers then its time to make that bloody net rattle!! Management and team - just play the football that's in yer very DNA and have at it. Gaillimh Abu!

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 148 - 06/05/2019 00:13:51    2182058

Link

"Ive been standing by management all year" ie crying about not enough corofin players in the team lol.

Mayo drew with London and then made the all ireland final a few years ago people Need to relax. Id be more worried if we were flying on top of the ground first week of may as it would suggest our training schedule is about 2 months out of wack

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 06/05/2019 01:29:09    2182066

Link