Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Cornetto2:  "They were well beaten by cork,was not told the score but they played very poorly.
They were out again last night Friday against tipp but didn't hear how that went."
Won 2.16 to 0.13

Theeagleeye (Roscommon) - Posts: 69 - 03/05/2019 10:06:15    2181589

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "He also said due to injury Dylan wall and Mike farragher were not able to apply themselves 100%.
As said previously wall is not part of the panel."
Well he is part of of the panel he is only injured that's like saying Kelly is injured and is not part if the panel and clearly is. When Wall gets fit he will come into contention to start then.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 03/05/2019 10:13:37    2181592

Link

Molloy mustn't be fit enough? You'd imagine, if he's half as good as 'everyone' says he is, that he'd have no problem claiming a starting spot on the Galway half-back line.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 03/05/2019 11:06:38    2181607

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Molloy mustn't be fit enough? You'd imagine, if he's half as good as 'everyone' says he is, that he'd have no problem claiming a starting spot on the Galway half-back line."
Pope- Kevin didn't start Ian Burke in last year's championship and 'everyone' was giving out then too. Players from North Galway do not get chances as easy from Kevin....hopefully by the Mayo game Molloy is on the first 15.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 875 - 03/05/2019 14:07:18    2181665

Link

If Molloy can't start , how do people think when Wall is back he has a good chance of starting? Where exactly would he play? He's not going to start ahead of Molloy surely? I would be shocked to see Wall starting any game this year, not sure if he's even come on as a sub for Kevin yet like Molloy has. Is Leonard in on the panel? You think he would be as good if not better than Cunningham?

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 03/05/2019 14:07:43    2181668

Link

lads not getting a fair shake for being from North Galway, I've heard it all now lol

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 03/05/2019 15:38:37    2181695

Link

Not sure why people are taking the starting 15 named as gospel since KW changes at least 3 or 4 players on match day and has done for 3 years. The king of the dummy team.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 03/05/2019 15:40:31    2181697

Link

There is an argument that Kevin Walsh is saving the Corofin players for sterner tests and easing them into the setup!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 03/05/2019 19:00:09    2181723

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Pope- Kevin didn't start Ian Burke in last year's championship and 'everyone' was giving out then too. Players from North Galway do not get chances as easy from Kevin....hopefully by the Mayo game Molloy is on the first 15."
Firstly I want Molloy in the team I think he is top class. But can you stop this north galway rubbish please. Who is keeping Molloy out of team and what clubs are they from???? How many west Galway lads are on the team 5 or 6? And how many will be there when everyone is fit??

KW is conservative and I hate the way we play at the moment. it drives me mad but he doesn't pick based on where your from. And to suggest otherwise is insulting to a man that slogged for years for us in the early 90's when u got no thanks, and was pivotal in 2 all Ireland's. His style is not everyone's cup of tea but I never doubt fits honesty and integrity

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1024 - 03/05/2019 22:32:40    2181754

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Pope- Kevin didn't start Ian Burke in last year's championship and 'everyone' was giving out then too. Players from North Galway do not get chances as easy from Kevin....hopefully by the Mayo game Molloy is on the first 15."
They're missing from large parts of the training. They will get called in based on how they play for the club but they'll only start get introduced as substitutes based on how they play at training. They just have much less time to show at training as others and as constantly mentioned galway play a different style to corofin they have to adjust to this (whether you like the style or not). Burke took his opportunity and nailed his starting Jersey last year and I've a feeling Molloy will too.

it's not a north galway thing its Corofin only. Corofin are off winning all irelands if players from other north galway clubs aren't making it, it's because they're not performing well enough. Name another player not from Corofin that you think should have a starting Jersey ?

KW also has a corofin man on board his management team. If they weren't being treated fairly I don't think he would still be part of the management

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1011 - 03/05/2019 23:03:54    2181757

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Molloy mustn't be fit enough? You'd imagine, if he's half as good as 'everyone' says he is, that he'd have no problem claiming a starting spot on the Galway half-back line."
From reading the article in yesterday's Indo, it's clear KW has issues in relation to the corofin lads adjusting to his tactics. He clearly has issues also with some pundits who question his tactics.

He suggested the forwards were to blame for the defeat against Dublin. That is partly true but what he conveniently failed to mention was that the collapse in the second half was due to very poor defending by our half back line in particular as Molloy sat on the bench.

Ciaran Kilkenny was not man marked and was free to do as he pleased while our defenders stood off him and marked space instead of men. KW needs to understand that good teams can and will tear his defensive system apart. Dublin proved that last year as did Tyrone in omagh this year.

I suspect he won't start Molloy, Power or Farragher. I hope i'm wrong about that but its clear from his interview that he was trying to justify not selecting them, stating that it will take time for them to adjust to inter county and his tactics. Good luck trying to sell that to the supporters and pundits alike.

The bottom line is that Molloy should be an automatic starter and so should Martin farragher at 14 in the absence of Comer. I'd also start Power as his kickouts are brilliant.

KW should forget about dummy team selections. Name the best 15 available at present and get on with it. Sunday is a perfect opportunity to give the corofin lads a run. He shouldn't waste that opportunity.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 04/05/2019 01:19:59    2181768

Link

Molloy can't defend. Simple as that really. I think he will start later in the year if he starts doing the basics right.

Joyces.left.foot (Galway) - Posts: 53 - 04/05/2019 10:07:26    2181790

Link

Finally we will see how Cummins and Burke play with eachother; hopefully that doesn't change!

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 786 - 04/05/2019 12:23:27    2181812

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "From reading the article in yesterday's Indo, it's clear KW has issues in relation to the corofin lads adjusting to his tactics. He clearly has issues also with some pundits who question his tactics.

He suggested the forwards were to blame for the defeat against Dublin. That is partly true but what he conveniently failed to mention was that the collapse in the second half was due to very poor defending by our half back line in particular as Molloy sat on the bench.

Ciaran Kilkenny was not man marked and was free to do as he pleased while our defenders stood off him and marked space instead of men. KW needs to understand that good teams can and will tear his defensive system apart. Dublin proved that last year as did Tyrone in omagh this year.

I suspect he won't start Molloy, Power or Farragher. I hope i'm wrong about that but its clear from his interview that he was trying to justify not selecting them, stating that it will take time for them to adjust to inter county and his tactics. Good luck trying to sell that to the supporters and pundits alike.

The bottom line is that Molloy should be an automatic starter and so should Martin farragher at 14 in the absence of Comer. I'd also start Power as his kickouts are brilliant.

KW should forget about dummy team selections. Name the best 15 available at present and get on with it. Sunday is a perfect opportunity to give the corofin lads a run. He shouldn't waste that opportunity."
No one not even Comer should be an automatic starter. KW did take Comer off last year when he was having a quiet game. We have a strong panel give someone who is doing well a chance. KW benched Shane Walsh when he was playing poorly and we had a much weaker panel so no one should think their automatically getting a jersey. It also doesn't do the player any favours leaving them on when playing badly.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1011 - 04/05/2019 19:08:21    2181853

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "From reading the article in yesterday's Indo, it's clear KW has issues in relation to the corofin lads adjusting to his tactics. He clearly has issues also with some pundits who question his tactics.

KW should forget about dummy team selections. Name the best 15 available at present and get on with it. Sunday is a perfect opportunity to give the corofin lads a run. He shouldn't waste that opportunity."
Fully agree. Martin Farragher should be full forward, and Molloy at wing back for Sunday, end of. From what I see, and this is from watching almost every Galway training session, the Corofin lads have had no issues in settling back in to the set up. Galways "tactics" are essentially Kevin trying to apply basketball permutations to Gaelic, in that players mark space and attack en masse when the ball is turned over by the opposition. He's highly sensitive to anyone questioning it, including the players.
Dublin had a few guys in Loughgeorge, openly watching Galway training. Despite what Kevin says, they blew us off the pitch last year and we had no plan b whatsoever.

PopeFrancis19 (Galway) - Posts: 24 - 04/05/2019 21:00:42    2181866

Link

Replying To PopeFrancis19:  "Fully agree. Martin Farragher should be full forward, and Molloy at wing back for Sunday, end of. From what I see, and this is from watching almost every Galway training session, the Corofin lads have had no issues in settling back in to the set up. Galways "tactics" are essentially Kevin trying to apply basketball permutations to Gaelic, in that players mark space and attack en masse when the ball is turned over by the opposition. He's highly sensitive to anyone questioning it, including the players.
Dublin had a few guys in Loughgeorge, openly watching Galway training. Despite what Kevin says, they blew us off the pitch last year and we had no plan b whatsoever."
Any sign of Dylan wall.????

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 05/05/2019 10:15:04    2181907

Link

Reassuring to know if anything goes wrong we have an army of experts on this forum ready to jump in and solve all of our "woes".

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 05/05/2019 11:28:01    2181925

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Reassuring to know if anything goes wrong we have an army of experts on this forum ready to jump in and solve all of our "woes"."
If only we had a traditional Tuam Stars/Dunmore element to the team... No stopping the Aran lads now - especially with 3 data coverage on the way... lol

Really (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 05/05/2019 13:22:26    2181952

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Reassuring to know if anything goes wrong we have an army of experts on this forum ready to jump in and solve all of our "woes"."
May go very wrong today and Kevin will be gone anyways

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 05/05/2019 15:32:44    2181963

Link

Level at half time, London the better team, disgraceful display from the team and manager, their inter county futures are all on the line..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 05/05/2019 15:40:17    2181964

Link