Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "Right lads. A week out from the London game and hopefully the start of a long summer. I think KW will not take london lightly but at the same time will try out a couple of players. Team i see starting is:
1. Lavelle
2. Kerin
3.Seán Andy
4.Silke
5. Molloy
6. Daly
7. O'Donnell
8 Flynn
9. Darcy
10. Walsh
11. Daly
12. Heaney
13. Cummins
14. Farragher
15. Burke
O'Laoi can count himself unlucky after a good league but that's just how strong the panel is then. I would start Seán Kelly also but given that GOD has the captaincy i see that as an indicator that he will start. Darcy to start as along with flynn is our only fit natural midfielder at the moment."
Bradshaw will start in my opinion. He had a pretty good league and was ever present last year. I would like to see Daly be given a run too but I think he will probably get on in the second half if all is going well. We need to mind the centre and Bradshaw as an experienced player will get that role. I was surprised that GOD was made captain as it likely means he is a certain starter. I think he is a good player but prefer if he was not an automatic pick given the competition in the half backline. I think one of him and Bradshaw is enough and would have two of the faster lads getting the two other spots

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 308 - 29/04/2019 10:45:45    2180767

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Bradshaw will start in my opinion. He had a pretty good league and was ever present last year. I would like to see Daly be given a run too but I think he will probably get on in the second half if all is going well. We need to mind the centre and Bradshaw as an experienced player will get that role. I was surprised that GOD was made captain as it likely means he is a certain starter. I think he is a good player but prefer if he was not an automatic pick given the competition in the half backline. I think one of him and Bradshaw is enough and would have two of the faster lads getting the two other spots"
GOD & Bradshaw are great servants and will do a job for us on a given day. But if you play the 2 together it exposes the lack of real pace and the opposition don't have to worry about attacks from HB line. That then leads to what we saw against Tyrone.......back and over on the half way line with the opposition sitting deep.

I really think that Molloy,Daly, and either McDaid/Heaney/Kelly as a HB line would dramatically change Galways style. People talk about Galways blanket defense as if defending in numbers is the problem. It's not, it is the slow ponderous attack when we get the ball that is the issue.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1039 - 29/04/2019 12:05:28    2180788

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "GOD & Bradshaw are great servants and will do a job for us on a given day. But if you play the 2 together it exposes the lack of real pace and the opposition don't have to worry about attacks from HB line. That then leads to what we saw against Tyrone.......back and over on the half way line with the opposition sitting deep.

I really think that Molloy,Daly, and either McDaid/Heaney/Kelly as a HB line would dramatically change Galways style. People talk about Galways blanket defense as if defending in numbers is the problem. It's not, it is the slow ponderous attack when we get the ball that is the issue."
U forgot about Wall as well!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 29/04/2019 12:10:19    2180791

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Would defintley leave Silke in the corner and put either Heaney, Kelly or Wall in the other wing back position. I think Cooke and Duggan will be back for Connacht final but that leaves them undercooked for that game they won't be match sharp.

Conroy is still long term so doubt we will be seeing him in championship. I heard in the paper that Gary O'Donnell is captain in place of Comer while he is injured if that's the case O'Donnell will be playing unfortunatley."
So you know Wall isnt in the panel right?

petebainne79 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 29/04/2019 14:08:28    2180824

Link

Replying To petebainne79:  "So you know Wall isnt in the panel right?"
are you sure about this because in two news forums on Galway hoganstand Wall was invited into the panel the other said he was injured?

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 29/04/2019 15:29:25    2180843

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "GOD & Bradshaw are great servants and will do a job for us on a given day. But if you play the 2 together it exposes the lack of real pace and the opposition don't have to worry about attacks from HB line. That then leads to what we saw against Tyrone.......back and over on the half way line with the opposition sitting deep.

I really think that Molloy,Daly, and either McDaid/Heaney/Kelly as a HB line would dramatically change Galways style. People talk about Galways blanket defense as if defending in numbers is the problem. It's not, it is the slow ponderous attack when we get the ball that is the issue."
Would definitely agree with that - I have been saying that for months if not years whilst Kevin Walsh has used the "blanket defence". I am all for a solid defence but if you have slow, ponderous build up play with lateral / backward passes and often lose the ball in contact or by a loose pass, then that is not going to win any AI. Also the "blanket defence" is very porous in Galway's case as players are more often marking space with very little tackles going in and not their actual men!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2267 - 29/04/2019 15:50:53    2180849

Link

What is the story with Dylan Wall? Is he in County panel? If not is it because of injury or personal reasons? If he is in it is he injured and when is he likely to be back?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm curious!!!!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1039 - 29/04/2019 16:09:53    2180859

Link

lavelle
kerin
sac
silke
god
daly
molloy
flynn
duane
s walsh
m.daly
s kelly
burke
farragher
cummins

toe2hand (Galway) - Posts: 221 - 29/04/2019 22:03:20    2180930

Link

Article in the Indo today indicated 8 Corofin players in the squad including both Farraghers and Dylan Wall. Is this accurate?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1039 - 02/05/2019 13:16:18    2181431

Link

Starting 15 vs London:

Lavelle

Kerin
Sean Andy
Wynne

Silke
J Daly
GOD

Flynn
M Daly

O'Laoi
Cunningham
Heaney

Burke
Shane Walsh
Cummins

Would have liked to see Molloy / Sean Kelly start. Strong full forward line though.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 02/05/2019 14:27:23    2181456

Link

Team named
1-Ruairí Lavelle

2-Eoghan Kerin

3-Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh

4-David Wynne

5-Liam Silke

6-John Daly

7-Gary O'Donnell

8-Thomas Flynn

9-Michael Daly

10-Antaine Ó Laoí

11-Padraig Cunningham

12-Johnny Heaney

13-Ian Burke

14-Shane Walsh

15-Danny Cummins

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 02/05/2019 14:43:47    2181462

Link

The Galway Team named

1. Ruairí Lavelle
2. Eoghan Kerin
3. Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh
4. David Wynne
5. Liam Silke
6. John Daly
7. Gary O'Donnell
8. Tom Flynn
9. Michael Daly
10. Antaine O'Laoi
11. Padraic Cunningham
12. Johnny Heaney
13. Ian Burke
14. Shane Walsh
15. Danny Cummins

What changes to this would ye predict??

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 02/05/2019 14:47:29    2181464

Link

Presume Cunningham will go in FF as target man with Burke & Danny playing off him with Walsh roaming.

Interesting that he is looking at Liam Silke H/B. Does he think he has enough at CB without him (for later in championship). Would be a great addition at H/B.

Would like to see Molloy in for GOD but don't think he is naming dummy teams for this game.

Wouldn't pay too much heed to midfield/Half Forward line as with the ginger twins out injured it left positions to be filled.

I think there is so much more in M Daly than we have seen yet. I'm hoping the injury free run will allow him to have a great summer.

Is McDaid still injured? If so any idea on a comeback date?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1039 - 02/05/2019 14:59:38    2181471

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Article in the Indo today indicated 8 Corofin players in the squad including both Farraghers and Dylan Wall. Is this accurate?"
I assume so Kevin Walsh didn't deny it anyway!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 02/05/2019 15:26:59    2181474

Link

Be very interested in seeing how Daly does at midfield. Hopefully he does a Cathal Mannion on it and takes to it like a duck to water.

Glad to see Cunningham getting another chance. Think he has a lot to offer.

Would have liked to see molloy play but I'm sure he'll see minutes.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 02/05/2019 15:27:04    2181475

Link

Is Kelly injured

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 308 - 02/05/2019 17:27:19    2181492

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Is Kelly injured"
Ya heard he'll be long term absentee hopefully not thow

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 02/05/2019 17:54:20    2181495

Link

Kevin Walsh will want 2 give some of the Corofin players game time otherwise they won't see the point in staying on the panel!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 02/05/2019 19:44:10    2181528

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "I assume so Kevin Walsh didn't deny it anyway!"
He also said due to injury Dylan wall and Mike farragher were not able to apply themselves 100%.
As said previously wall is not part of the panel.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 02/05/2019 23:57:51    2181558

Link

Galway (Connacht SFC v London): Rory Lavelle; Eoghan Kerin, Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh, David Wynne; Liam Silke, John Daly, Gary O'Donnell; Tom Flynn, Michael Daly; Antoine O'Laoi, Padraic Cunningham, Johnny Heaney; Ian Burke, Shane Walsh, Danny Cummins

Big chance for Danny and John Daly to nail down spots.

Very disappointing not to see Molloy starting.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 888 - 03/05/2019 08:46:15    2181571

Link