Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Really:  "TBH, JJ, I understand your west of the corrib loyalty. But realistically, when you see a reasonably talented group of players stymied by a lack of positive leadership from Management e.g. compared to Mayo it's a tad sad..."
What is the point of this
Ps I'm from north Galway
Don't know of anyone form the north that would improve the team and or management

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 21/04/2019 11:33:21    2179721

Link

Replying To Really:  "TBH, JJ, I understand your west of the corrib loyalty. But realistically, when you see a reasonably talented group of players stymied by a lack of positive leadership from Management e.g. compared to Mayo it's a tad sad..."
The old North Galway sense of entitlement is alive and well.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 21/04/2019 12:02:16    2179725

Link

Team that I think will start against London with players available

1.Lavelle
2.Silke
3.O'Ceallaigh
4.Kerin
5.Molloy
6.Daly
7.Heaney
8.Flynn
9.D'Arcy
10.Walsh
11.Daly
12.Leonard
13.Burke
14.Farragher
15.O'Laoi

Went for O'Laoi as I right more highly then Cummins but think Walsh will pick Cummins due to his aerial ability. Went for Martin Farragher as Micheal is injured and great chance for him to stake a claim in the team. Forgot about D'Arcy when I was talking about midfielders earlier so he is the obvious choice.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 21/04/2019 13:52:04    2179739

Link

The addition of Martin Farragher to the squad could be a game changer and may be the missing part of the jigsaw at least in the attacking sense. Trying to sort out the midfield and backs is a lot harder although Silke and Molloy are two definite pluses.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2267 - 21/04/2019 15:05:55    2179744

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "What is the point of this
Ps I'm from north Galway
Don't know of anyone form the north that would improve the team and or management"
No point in it whatsoever. Not that it matters but I'm from North Galway also, I just respect what Kevin has achieved in terms of organizing us and making us competitive again after years of mediocrity. And let's wait until the season is over before handing the Manager of the Year award to Horan, we all know championship is the only thing that matters.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 21/04/2019 15:49:35    2179745

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "The addition of Martin Farragher to the squad could be a game changer and may be the missing part of the jigsaw at least in the attacking sense. Trying to sort out the midfield and backs is a lot harder although Silke and Molloy are two definite pluses."
Will be interesting to see if Martin Farragher can step up to inter county. Always seems to play an intelligent brand of football.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1038 - 21/04/2019 18:20:57    2179760

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Will be interesting to see if Martin Farragher can step up to inter county. Always seems to play an intelligent brand of football."
I hope I think the 5, 7, 9, 12 and 15 jerseys are up for grabs this year.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 22/04/2019 15:06:38    2179822

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Team that I think will start against London with players available

1.Lavelle
2.Silke
3.O'Ceallaigh
4.Kerin
5.Molloy
6.Daly
7.Heaney
8.Flynn
9.D'Arcy
10.Walsh
11.Daly
12.Leonard
13.Burke
14.Farragher
15.O'Laoi

Went for O'Laoi as I right more highly then Cummins but think Walsh will pick Cummins due to his aerial ability. Went for Martin Farragher as Micheal is injured and great chance for him to stake a claim in the team. Forgot about D'Arcy when I was talking about midfielders earlier so he is the obvious choice."
Danny every day v O laoi in my opinion
O laoi played really well v mayo but was poor enough against Kerry and Tyrone, was horsed out of it in omagh TBF
On the other hand I think that goal-a-game Danny has to start

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 22/04/2019 16:46:09    2179826

Link

If Kyne is fit would you play him to allow Silke to move to wing back? Or would we be better with Heaney or Kelly wing back and leave Silke in the corner?

Also are the injuries to Cooke & Duggan serious or is it just a bit of sunburn after the heatwave last week!

Any news on Conroys potential return date?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1038 - 23/04/2019 09:38:32    2179873

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "If Kyne is fit would you play him to allow Silke to move to wing back? Or would we be better with Heaney or Kelly wing back and leave Silke in the corner?

Also are the injuries to Cooke & Duggan serious or is it just a bit of sunburn after the heatwave last week!

Any news on Conroys potential return date?"
Would defintley leave Silke in the corner and put either Heaney, Kelly or Wall in the other wing back position. I think Cooke and Duggan will be back for Connacht final but that leaves them undercooked for that game they won't be match sharp.

Conroy is still long term so doubt we will be seeing him in championship. I heard in the paper that Gary O'Donnell is captain in place of Comer while he is injured if that's the case O'Donnell will be playing unfortunatley.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 23/04/2019 18:35:06    2179969

Link

Garry O'D while a great servant for a decade with galway football isn't a starting wing back on a serious All Ireland contender in 2019. Compared to the opposition who will have Lee Keegan, paddy durcan, james mcCarthy, jack mcCaffrey, tiernan McCann, Paul Murphy etc the modern wingback is your counter attacking X factor not the solid hard working wing back defender of yesteryear.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 285 - 24/04/2019 10:09:09    2180031

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Garry O'D while a great servant for a decade with galway football isn't a starting wing back on a serious All Ireland contender in 2019. Compared to the opposition who will have Lee Keegan, paddy durcan, james mcCarthy, jack mcCaffrey, tiernan McCann, Paul Murphy etc the modern wingback is your counter attacking X factor not the solid hard working wing back defender of yesteryear."
Agreed. U could probably get away with him CB if you had 2 rampaging wing backs. While it shouldn't be a factor until Connacht final and by then u would hope Comer is back. But as most of us are suggesting a new HB line this year getting them game time together against London and Sligo is important.

Wouldn't be the first captain to be left on the line. Will be interesting.

On a side not Comer looked slim in the pictures of him in the media yesterday. Think it might suit him more.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1038 - 24/04/2019 10:28:57    2180034

Link

Just heard a bit of an interview with Comer on today FM. Saying he plans to be back for the middle of June. Assuming the plan would be to bring him on in a connacht final if he was needed.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 24/04/2019 18:44:18    2180122

Link

Any word on the challenge against Cork this evening?

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 718 - 24/04/2019 21:20:08    2180143

Link

Replying To manager5:  "Any word on the challenge against Cork this evening?"
They were well beaten by cork,was not told the score but they played very poorly.
They were out again last night Friday against tipp but didn't hear how that went.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 27/04/2019 16:01:22    2180546

Link

Cork are the dark horses this year and will give Kerry a surprise imo....so yeah

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 976 - 27/04/2019 16:32:25    2180550

Link

Wouldn't worry about challenge games championship is where they need 2 preform just trying out players in different positions.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 27/04/2019 16:57:45    2180555

Link

Right lads. A week out from the London game and hopefully the start of a long summer. I think KW will not take london lightly but at the same time will try out a couple of players. Team i see starting is:
1. Lavelle
2. Kerin
3.Seán Andy
4.Silke
5. Molloy
6. Daly
7. O'Donnell
8 Flynn
9. Darcy
10. Walsh
11. Daly
12. Heaney
13. Cummins
14. Farragher
15. Burke
O'Laoi can count himself unlucky after a good league but that's just how strong the panel is then. I would start Seán Kelly also but given that GOD has the captaincy i see that as an indicator that he will start. Darcy to start as along with flynn is our only fit natural midfielder at the moment.

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 259 - 28/04/2019 11:10:44    2180632

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "Right lads. A week out from the London game and hopefully the start of a long summer. I think KW will not take london lightly but at the same time will try out a couple of players. Team i see starting is:
1. Lavelle
2. Kerin
3.Seán Andy
4.Silke
5. Molloy
6. Daly
7. O'Donnell
8 Flynn
9. Darcy
10. Walsh
11. Daly
12. Heaney
13. Cummins
14. Farragher
15. Burke
O'Laoi can count himself unlucky after a good league but that's just how strong the panel is then. I would start Seán Kelly also but given that GOD has the captaincy i see that as an indicator that he will start. Darcy to start as along with flynn is our only fit natural midfielder at the moment."
This could very well be the team that lines out against London!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 28/04/2019 14:26:58    2180652

Link

Replying To gaillimhboy:  "Right lads. A week out from the London game and hopefully the start of a long summer. I think KW will not take london lightly but at the same time will try out a couple of players. Team i see starting is:
1. Lavelle
2. Kerin
3.Seán Andy
4.Silke
5. Molloy
6. Daly
7. O'Donnell
8 Flynn
9. Darcy
10. Walsh
11. Daly
12. Heaney
13. Cummins
14. Farragher
15. Burke
O'Laoi can count himself unlucky after a good league but that's just how strong the panel is then. I would start Seán Kelly also but given that GOD has the captaincy i see that as an indicator that he will start. Darcy to start as along with flynn is our only fit natural midfielder at the moment."
Nice team, you seem hung up on starting 15, O Laoi, Kelly etc are crucial impact subs if not starters. This is a nice position for us to be in.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1301 - 28/04/2019 14:48:04    2180657

Link