Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Agree 100%. I'd also add mcdaid and Wall to the 9 you named. I've no doubt there is enough talent there to win an all ireland. Maybe KW will change the system to allow us to profit from the talent available but I wouldn't hold my breathe on that one."
Dont think you will be seeing Dylan wall playing inter county for this year at least.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 15/04/2019 08:36:14    2178872

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Dont think you will be seeing Dylan wall playing inter county for this year at least."
I heard he got injured. Is that why? Is it a serious injury?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1036 - 15/04/2019 11:26:22    2178904

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Dont think you will be seeing Dylan wall playing inter county for this year at least."
Is it a bad injury to Dylan wall was it yesterday in the leauge game he got injured v killanin.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 15/04/2019 11:47:49    2178909

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "I heard he got injured. Is that why? Is it a serious injury?"
No, just didn't take up the invite this time round,must be work, college or whatever he does.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 15/04/2019 13:25:27    2178937

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "No, just didn't take up the invite this time round,must be work, college or whatever he does."
Heard he carrying a niggly knee injury for the past 6 months and due to have a scan on it which will determine his future involvment

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 15/04/2019 15:47:08    2178975

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "I just think the backs we have had over the years and in the NFL are not good enough for man on man hence the need for sweepers"
agree fully but has the landscape changed now with silke back molloy john daly wall etc....certainly we need to be able topush up and trust them for periods of games when needed or when against lower level teams

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 560 - 15/04/2019 16:04:59    2178980

Link

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "Heard he carrying a niggly knee injury for the past 6 months and due to have a scan on it which will determine his future involvment"
Hope this it isn't serious he would be a huge miss for Galway.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 15/04/2019 16:17:09    2178981

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Hope this it isn't serious he would be a huge miss for Galway."
It's not the injury!! !!unfortunately!!!!

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 15/04/2019 22:56:00    2179043

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "It's not the injury!! !!unfortunately!!!!"
is it definite he is not joining the panel?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1036 - 16/04/2019 10:37:10    2179073

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Sorry but I don't know how anyone could bracket Flynn as an "exceptional player". I just don't see it even though he has been given many chances. Some people say he has improved in the last year or so and he may have to some degree but IMO he is still only average plus he goes missing when the going gets tough and the team need real leadership."
He was one of our best player last year and again in the league this year. I would have agreed with u up to last year but he really stepped up. He seems to have filled into his huge frame and is dominating games.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1036 - 16/04/2019 10:40:12    2179074

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "He was one of our best player last year and again in the league this year. I would have agreed with u up to last year but he really stepped up. He seems to have filled into his huge frame and is dominating games."
I hope he proves me wrong and I will be the first one on here to say it if he does. I know he has improved somewhat but I don't think one could say he is dominating games e.g. where was he when things went horribly awry in the second half of the league games against Dublin and Tyrone this year and against Dublin last year. I know he wasn't the only one that went missing in those games but that is when leadership is required. SAOC is also another player that is very overrated as he is a very loose marker - he is fine when in possession bursting out of defence but his primary job of defending and making sure his man gets minimal possession is not up to scratch (at least currently).

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2267 - 16/04/2019 11:20:58    2179086

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I hope he proves me wrong and I will be the first one on here to say it if he does. I know he has improved somewhat but I don't think one could say he is dominating games e.g. where was he when things went horribly awry in the second half of the league games against Dublin and Tyrone this year and against Dublin last year. I know he wasn't the only one that went missing in those games but that is when leadership is required. SAOC is also another player that is very overrated as he is a very loose marker - he is fine when in possession bursting out of defence but his primary job of defending and making sure his man gets minimal possession is not up to scratch (at least currently)."
He hadn't a bad game by any stretch against Dublin last year. It was remarked upon in several media outlets that himself and Fenton (possibly the finest midfielder of his generation), had a decent battle. If your going to mention tough away games such as Tyrone where he went missing, why dont you mention other tough away games such as Monaghan where he won 2 kickouts and a hop ball when the game was in the melting pot.

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 91 - 16/04/2019 16:32:08    2179152

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I hope he proves me wrong and I will be the first one on here to say it if he does. I know he has improved somewhat but I don't think one could say he is dominating games e.g. where was he when things went horribly awry in the second half of the league games against Dublin and Tyrone this year and against Dublin last year. I know he wasn't the only one that went missing in those games but that is when leadership is required. SAOC is also another player that is very overrated as he is a very loose marker - he is fine when in possession bursting out of defence but his primary job of defending and making sure his man gets minimal possession is not up to scratch (at least currently)."
My own opinion on SAOK is that he has slowed since last year. Seems to be a bit bigger. Maybe needs to lose a pound or two. I think he had a great year last year and we need him at his best. He certainly has had a poor league.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1036 - 16/04/2019 16:34:13    2179153

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "He was one of our best player last year and again in the league this year. I would have agreed with u up to last year but he really stepped up. He seems to have filled into his huge frame and is dominating games."
He had one of his best years last year because he was selected at midfield where he belongs. Thats his natural position. For the first 3 years under KW, he was usually selected at wing forward with Conroy and O Curran at midfield. Flynn is a good midfielder. He's not a natural wing forward. His best position is midfield. He has filled out also and has a good partnership with Duggan at midfield.

As for last year's defeat against Dublin. I would blame Flynn for that one Tommy K. We squandered plenty of chances in the first half and paid the price for that. In the second half, our half back line and corner backs were taken to the cleaners. Cluxton went short with most of his kickouts also which kept Flynn and Duggan out of it.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 16/04/2019 21:41:27    2179199

Link

Typo error. I wouldn't blame Flynn for defeat against dublin

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 16/04/2019 21:44:21    2179201

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Typo error. I wouldn't blame Flynn for defeat against dublin"
Who would you select at Midfield if all options were available and fully fit?

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 17/04/2019 11:08:56    2179261

Link

Replying To Fewpucks24:  "Who would you select at Midfield if all options were available and fully fit?"
Tricky one. KW typically plays 3 big men so i'd say he'd play Conroy as the third midfielder if all fit with Flynn and either Duggan or Cooke. Form is all important,

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1036 - 17/04/2019 13:32:43    2179283

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Tricky one. KW typically plays 3 big men so i'd say he'd play Conroy as the third midfielder if all fit with Flynn and either Duggan or Cooke. Form is all important,"
Yes that's how I think it will go

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 17/04/2019 14:11:55    2179286

Link

conroys creativity has been missed....hopeful;ly he is back sooner than later

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 560 - 17/04/2019 19:35:17    2179350

Link

It's hard see Paul Conroy getting back to the level of fitness at this stage after such serious injury Flynn and probably Dugan at midfield my preference would be Flynn and Cooke but as we all know it's a 21 man game now the day of same 15 well gone

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 17/04/2019 20:25:02    2179360

Link