Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "He was excellent for Corofin yesterday against Corofin as were Martin Farragher and Ronan Steede.(Of the 3 i still think Jason has the one most to offer at intercounty.)"
Please , please please fairplay4ever. "He was excellent against Caherlistrane in a league game".
Please...
Look, I'm not saying Jason Leonard isn't good enough we just don't know until he is tried

He is worth a try. My personal opinion is that he is not good enough, but I don't have facts to back it up either.

There is a horse of a difference between club and county and while an AI club final v Crokes is not a bad indicator , a League game v Caherlistrane can hardly be considered.

I say this without disrespect to Caherlistrane who are a fine club but they are obviously nowhere near the level they will be at later in the year as recent week's results would suggest

Annaghdown 3-14 v Caherltrane 0-8
Mtbellew 4-14 v Annaghdown 1-2
Tuam 0-9 v Mtbellew 0-8

Based on this set of results surely we should consider more Tuam players.
I say this with tongue in cheek , but all jokes aside its a pity Jamie Murphy never gave a committed shot at county...now thats a what I call player.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 64 - 01/04/2019 21:53:47    2177116

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Please , please please fairplay4ever. "He was excellent against Caherlistrane in a league game".
Please...
Look, I'm not saying Jason Leonard isn't good enough we just don't know until he is tried

He is worth a try. My personal opinion is that he is not good enough, but I don't have facts to back it up either.

There is a horse of a difference between club and county and while an AI club final v Crokes is not a bad indicator , a League game v Caherlistrane can hardly be considered.

I say this without disrespect to Caherlistrane who are a fine club but they are obviously nowhere near the level they will be at later in the year as recent week's results would suggest

Annaghdown 3-14 v Caherltrane 0-8
Mtbellew 4-14 v Annaghdown 1-2
Tuam 0-9 v Mtbellew 0-8

Based on this set of results surely we should consider more Tuam players.
I say this with tongue in cheek , but all jokes aside its a pity Jamie Murphy never gave a committed shot at county...now thats a what I call player."
Take your point but he still looked sharp -I'm not 100% either and I know this sounds mad and no basis for it but there's just something about the cut of him that i like.(not a great way to pick an intercounty player i accept). he is deceptively quick and has improved alot physically since havin the shirt pulled off him in Limerick 2 years ago.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 01/04/2019 22:19:10    2177127

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "We were "admired" for our style of play by Kerry pundits who liked how Galway played lovely football and then lost by 7 points to them.

Id like KW to throw the shackles off a bit but its not that long ago we were losing to wexford westmeath laois and antrim in championship and getting hammered by 15 pts by Mayo. I know what id rather"
We played attacking football for The first half against Tyrone and went in 6 or 7 points ahead. We then came out for the second half playing defensive football and ended up losing by 7.

You need to understand that our system is past its sell by date and good teams will figure out a way very easily to overcome it. That penny has dropped for alot of the top sides now.

You also say that you doubt whether mayo have 3 natural forwards. Again that may have been valid statement in previous years but horan has unearthed at least 3 new forwards in this league. Last Sunday, they kicked some great scores and showed they have an eye for goal also. With a little more luck on their side, they could have hammered Kerry.

Ruane at midfield is a real find and o Shea is back to his best. Boland, Treacey, Carr and fionn mcdonagh are new to the scene and they all seem to be natural forwards. Then throw in Doherty, Moran, mcloughlin and the 2 o Connors and anyone can see they will be more dangerous up front this year.

Mayo will be a far better side this year than in previous years. They will play an attacking high risk brand of football against us if we meet in the connacht final. We certainly have the players to match them if they are selected and let play with shackles off but if we set up defensively against them I think we'll be in trouble this year as they will be a much stronger team under horan especially up front.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 02/04/2019 01:37:36    2177163

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "I genuinley believe Walsh doesn't think he has the defenders 2 play a more expansive game hence the defensive game we are playing. Before we started playing this system we were conceding heavy scores the last 2 years hence the Kerry and Tipp games in 17 and 16 for years in Galway we were playing great football and getting beat."
We were reasonable negative against Kerry and Tipp as well. KW has played the same style from Day 1.

As bad as the style is to watch I don't think he it takes a lot to dramatically improve it. Driving forward from half back line is the key. While GOD and Bradshaw are great servants they don't have the pace for doing that hence the ball slows up when it gets to them. Molloy/Mcdaid/Wall...... 2 of those at wing back would make a big difference to our shape. Guys that break the line and draw defenders change the whole game.

On a number of occasions Bradshaw recycled against Tyrone when there was a gap in front of him. I wouldn't blame him for doing it, he probably rightly judged he hadn't the speed to capitalise.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1036 - 02/04/2019 10:22:42    2177195

Link

Can't believe there's people on this forum with the gall to criticise the style and shortcomings of Galway under Kevin Walsh. Are you not aware that he has been bestowed with managerial infallibility.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 02/04/2019 12:07:55    2177230

Link

No doubt that the style needs to be tweaked and the fact that both halves against Tyrone were chalk and cheese should tell Kevin everything he needs to know.
Agree with the posts saying we need more pace coming from half back line. We should be putting up big scores against London and Sligo, they both finished bottom of Div 4 and 3 respectively. Real test will come in the Connaught final against Rossies or Mayo.

Be great to see Wall, Molloy and possibly Leonard getting some starts. Also great to have Burke back.

Think we've massively missed Comer and Conroy. Were lacking some leadership.

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 02/04/2019 13:08:58    2177258

Link

Replying To Fewpucks24:  "No doubt that the style needs to be tweaked and the fact that both halves against Tyrone were chalk and cheese should tell Kevin everything he needs to know.
Agree with the posts saying we need more pace coming from half back line. We should be putting up big scores against London and Sligo, they both finished bottom of Div 4 and 3 respectively. Real test will come in the Connaught final against Rossies or Mayo.

Be great to see Wall, Molloy and possibly Leonard getting some starts. Also great to have Burke back.

Think we've massively missed Comer and Conroy. Were lacking some leadership."
Pretty much on the button.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1640 - 02/04/2019 19:55:57    2177361

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "We were reasonable negative against Kerry and Tipp as well. KW has played the same style from Day 1.

As bad as the style is to watch I don't think he it takes a lot to dramatically improve it. Driving forward from half back line is the key. While GOD and Bradshaw are great servants they don't have the pace for doing that hence the ball slows up when it gets to them. Molloy/Mcdaid/Wall...... 2 of those at wing back would make a big difference to our shape. Guys that break the line and draw defenders change the whole game.

On a number of occasions Bradshaw recycled against Tyrone when there was a gap in front of him. I wouldn't blame him for doing it, he probably rightly judged he hadn't the speed to capitalise."
Getting more pace into that half back line would make a huge difference and having another ball carrier in the half forward line (McDaid) would also be hugely beneficial. I still think Bradshaw has something to offer, think he intercepts a fair bit of ball and positons himself well and he'd be my first choice no 6 this summer ahead of Daly. Either side of him I've have Sean Kelly & Molloy. Sean Kelly has to start because of his energy ans is capable of getting a score too. What would depress me is a half back line of Bradshaw & Bradshaw. John Daly is going to be first choice for a long time to come, just think he's got a little bit to learn in the no 6 role, thats not to say it won't happen this summer.

If Galway can get Walsh, McDaid, Heaney, Sean Kelly & Molloy in that middle 3rd it gives Galway great energy and pace. All 5 have brilliant engines on them and can cover a lot of ground. For most of the league Galway have only had Walsh & Heaney in there and its been Galways biggest problem, to slow and predictable in possession.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 03/04/2019 10:17:30    2177447

Link

Nice interview with Kieran Molloy on Off the Ball the other day which is also on their GAA podcast. Seems a genuine, down to earth guy who works very hard on and off the pitch. Really hope the clash between NFL and club championship doesn't hider him and other Corofin lads being fully integrated into the county setup this year. They deserve to be given every chance with Galway.

https://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/gaa-on-off-the-ball/kieran-molloy-awards-love-club-galway-ambitions

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 12/04/2019 14:28:56    2178582

Link

He came across as a very sound young fella.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 12/04/2019 16:32:08    2178598

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Getting more pace into that half back line would make a huge difference and having another ball carrier in the half forward line (McDaid) would also be hugely beneficial. I still think Bradshaw has something to offer, think he intercepts a fair bit of ball and positons himself well and he'd be my first choice no 6 this summer ahead of Daly. Either side of him I've have Sean Kelly & Molloy. Sean Kelly has to start because of his energy ans is capable of getting a score too. What would depress me is a half back line of Bradshaw & Bradshaw. John Daly is going to be first choice for a long time to come, just think he's got a little bit to learn in the no 6 role, thats not to say it won't happen this summer.

If Galway can get Walsh, McDaid, Heaney, Sean Kelly & Molloy in that middle 3rd it gives Galway great energy and pace. All 5 have brilliant engines on them and can cover a lot of ground. For most of the league Galway have only had Walsh & Heaney in there and its been Galways biggest problem, to slow and predictable in possession."
i agree broadly and i also think we will need replacements for 2 if not three of these in game....john daly, wall brannigan, michael daly are all in the start/replace bracket.

i would agree bradshaw has somethinbg to offer but he and god cannot play in the same half back line thats for sure

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 560 - 12/04/2019 17:45:33    2178605

Link

Its a tough job Kevin Walsh has trying to derive the best formula for success from a talented group . One concern I would have seems to be his failure to get the best from his top talent. Its really hard to believe that its only this year that you would consider Shane Walsh to be a nailed down starter , when it has been obvious for years that he he is an exceptional talent.

In my opinion Kevin has about 9 exceptional players. Everyone might not agree with me on these , and some would not even be on some peoples starting 15, and maybe deservedly not based on current form , but I think he needs to build his team to try to make these top players really really great and then to fill the remaining positions from a number lads who are undoubtedly good players also.

Its a tall ask but that is the demands of trying to compete with Dublin.

The 9 players I think are in the category are: SAOK, Silke, Molloy, JDaly, Flynn, Comer, Walsh, MDaly, Burke.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 64 - 13/04/2019 11:50:31    2178659

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "We played attacking football for The first half against Tyrone and went in 6 or 7 points ahead. We then came out for the second half playing defensive football and ended up losing by 7.

You need to understand that our system is past its sell by date and good teams will figure out a way very easily to overcome it. That penny has dropped for alot of the top sides now.

You also say that you doubt whether mayo have 3 natural forwards. Again that may have been valid statement in previous years but horan has unearthed at least 3 new forwards in this league. Last Sunday, they kicked some great scores and showed they have an eye for goal also. With a little more luck on their side, they could have hammered Kerry.

Ruane at midfield is a real find and o Shea is back to his best. Boland, Treacey, Carr and fionn mcdonagh are new to the scene and they all seem to be natural forwards. Then throw in Doherty, Moran, mcloughlin and the 2 o Connors and anyone can see they will be more dangerous up front this year.

Mayo will be a far better side this year than in previous years. They will play an attacking high risk brand of football against us if we meet in the connacht final. We certainly have the players to match them if they are selected and let play with shackles off but if we set up defensively against them I think we'll be in trouble this year as they will be a much stronger team under horan especially up front."
Agree, Mayo imo, have added a lot of quality up front, and now have a damn good midfielder in Mattie Ruane. His partnership with AOS is proving v. effective. A crucial area, so we will need players like Molloy and Wall coming out strong. Their one weakness, however, is creativity in front of goal. I'm sure we have the advantage in this area - especially now with Ian back. Of course defence must be well organised. But now with the addition of Silke, Malloy, Wall, we can afford to at times go man on man - fast transitioning from HB line. KW must now realise this, and play to his strengths.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 352 - 13/04/2019 13:24:33    2178664

Link

Replying To Really:  "Agree, Mayo imo, have added a lot of quality up front, and now have a damn good midfielder in Mattie Ruane. His partnership with AOS is proving v. effective. A crucial area, so we will need players like Molloy and Wall coming out strong. Their one weakness, however, is creativity in front of goal. I'm sure we have the advantage in this area - especially now with Ian back. Of course defence must be well organised. But now with the addition of Silke, Malloy, Wall, we can afford to at times go man on man - fast transitioning from HB line. KW must now realise this, and play to his strengths."
I think Kevin's biggest problem is that he appears to be listening to defensive coaches like Kevin stritch. His motto is to retain possession at all costs and dont take a risk. That would be understandable if we didn't have naturally talented players but we do. Therefore there is no need to be overly defensive.

I'd love to see a half back line of Molloy, Daly and Wall. 3 very intelligent defenders who are capable of defending man to man and who would hit our forwards with quick ball. I think it's unlikely KW will select them as the system won't allow it. That Will cost us in the end.

Unfortunately it appears to be all about this system which will bring us so far but won't get us over the line against the top teams like Dublin. As you correctly point out, if Kevin put more faith in the players and starts silke, Daly, Molloy and Wall at the back, then we could really be in with a chance this year as Dublin seem to be in decline.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 13/04/2019 17:02:26    2178686

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Its a tough job Kevin Walsh has trying to derive the best formula for success from a talented group . One concern I would have seems to be his failure to get the best from his top talent. Its really hard to believe that its only this year that you would consider Shane Walsh to be a nailed down starter , when it has been obvious for years that he he is an exceptional talent.

In my opinion Kevin has about 9 exceptional players. Everyone might not agree with me on these , and some would not even be on some peoples starting 15, and maybe deservedly not based on current form , but I think he needs to build his team to try to make these top players really really great and then to fill the remaining positions from a number lads who are undoubtedly good players also.

The 9 players I think are in the category are: SAOK, Silke, Molloy, JDaly, Flynn, Comer, Walsh, MDaly, Burke."
Sorry but I don't know how anyone could bracket Flynn as an "exceptional player". I just don't see it even though he has been given many chances. Some people say he has improved in the last year or so and he may have to some degree but IMO he is still only average plus he goes missing when the going gets tough and the team need real leadership.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2267 - 13/04/2019 17:33:15    2178691

Link

Replying To Really:  "Agree, Mayo imo, have added a lot of quality up front, and now have a damn good midfielder in Mattie Ruane. His partnership with AOS is proving v. effective. A crucial area, so we will need players like Molloy and Wall coming out strong. Their one weakness, however, is creativity in front of goal. I'm sure we have the advantage in this area - especially now with Ian back. Of course defence must be well organised. But now with the addition of Silke, Malloy, Wall, we can afford to at times go man on man - fast transitioning from HB line. KW must now realise this, and play to his strengths."
@Really Kevin is lucky to have a man of your coaching prowess to come on here and let him know how to set up the team...

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 13/04/2019 17:58:06    2178693

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Sorry but I don't know how anyone could bracket Flynn as an "exceptional player". I just don't see it even though he has been given many chances. Some people say he has improved in the last year or so and he may have to some degree but IMO he is still only average plus he goes missing when the going gets tough and the team need real leadership."
Tommy
You can't wait to go to Galway matches this year after missing last year I'd say

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 13/04/2019 21:39:46    2178710

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Its a tough job Kevin Walsh has trying to derive the best formula for success from a talented group . One concern I would have seems to be his failure to get the best from his top talent. Its really hard to believe that its only this year that you would consider Shane Walsh to be a nailed down starter , when it has been obvious for years that he he is an exceptional talent.

The 9 players I think are in the category are: SAOK, Silke, Molloy, JDaly, Flynn, Comer, Walsh, MDaly, Burke."
Agree 100%. I'd also add mcdaid and Wall to the 9 you named. I've no doubt there is enough talent there to win an all ireland. Maybe KW will change the system to allow us to profit from the talent available but I wouldn't hold my breathe on that one.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 14/04/2019 13:37:36    2178767

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Agree 100%. I'd also add mcdaid and Wall to the 9 you named. I've no doubt there is enough talent there to win an all ireland. Maybe KW will change the system to allow us to profit from the talent available but I wouldn't hold my breathe on that one."
I just think the backs we have had over the years and in the NFL are not good enough for man on man hence the need for sweepers

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 14/04/2019 14:01:00    2178769

Link

Tom Flynn is fairly objectively an excellent midfielder. The mark rule suits him hugely. Has been the constant excellent presence while there has been a bit of a revolving door around him for the 2nd MF jersey over the last 18 months or so

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 14/04/2019 20:59:46    2178828

Link