Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Good team! great to see FOC getting the nod, please god Kieran Molloy can carry the club championship form into the county set up!

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 16/05/2019 14:43:27    2184620

Link

Good team interesting that Power gets the nod ahead of Lavelle. Don't think O'Currain is good enough but we haven't many options in midfield due to injuries and KW wants to give him game time.

Delighted Molloy is playing but he needs to take his chance and prove everyone right that he should be in the team. Don't think Bradshaw has the pace anymore but with Kelly injured, Mcdaid injured and Wall not fit/not on the panel he is the only option. Forward line looks very good if they all click would like 2 see Jason Leonard and Martin Farragher get a run if they are on the bench.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 16/05/2019 14:55:14    2184624

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "So the team is named:
Bernard Power
Eoghan Kerin
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
Liam Silke
Kieran Molloy
Gareth Bradshaw
John Daly
Thomas Flynn
Fiontán Ó Curraoin
Shane Walsh
Michael Daly
Johnny Heaney
Antaine Ó Laoi
Ian Burke
Danny Cummins

Starts for Kieran Molloy and Bernard Power. I'm very glad to see Molloy getting his chance in particular. We'll hopefully see a much improved performance and a significant increase in work-rate."
Good team and wouldn't be surprised if no changes are made. Hopefully if FOC starts he finds his form, with Flynn playing the way he is it would be fantastic for these two to reach full potential at the same time. People forget how many injuries FOC had to recover from

Regardless of who starts I hope all the lads play well. That should be every galwegians attitude

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1036 - 16/05/2019 14:57:38    2184625

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Good team and wouldn't be surprised if no changes are made. Hopefully if FOC starts he finds his form, with Flynn playing the way he is it would be fantastic for these two to reach full potential at the same time. People forget how many injuries FOC had to recover from

Regardless of who starts I hope all the lads play well. That should be every galwegians attitude"
Something I think is on lost some people on this forum

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 16/05/2019 15:04:06    2184631

Link

I like this team. Back 6 almost at full strength 5/6. Just Bradshaw to be swapped with Kelly and Daly moved to 6 I think we're set then. Be interesting to see how FOC does, been something of a peripheral figure the last few years but best of luck to him.

Just a thought lads but would anyone else like to see Cillian McDaid tried at midfield? I know after Sunday the games for trying things will be gone but I've thought this year he would thrive playing off Tom Flynn with his energy. Probably a bit irrelevant now as after the Sligo game it will be too risky to try them kind of things out but maybe one for the future.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 16/05/2019 15:09:36    2184635

Link

Who will captain the side on Sunday? Bradshaw? Walsh?

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 257 - 16/05/2019 15:12:40    2184637

Link

Good side overall. NB to shake it up selection wise. Nice to see FOC get a run again. He's been a good servant to Galway football and has battled back from serious injury when most lads would have thrown the towel in. So he deserves great credit for that and I hope he plays well.

Likewise it will be good to see Molloy and Power in action. Its important to road test these lads and integrate them into the county set. So the very best of luck to them too. I dont expect any changes from team selection apart from maybe a few positional changes up front.

It's an exciting team with potential and if they click, I'd expect us to win with plenty to spare. Credit to the management also and hopefully they can tweak the system in favour of a more attacking strategy which will suit the 15 named.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 16/05/2019 16:17:26    2184659

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Good side overall. NB to shake it up selection wise. Nice to see FOC get a run again. He's been a good servant to Galway football and has battled back from serious injury when most lads would have thrown the towel in. So he deserves great credit for that and I hope he plays well.

Likewise it will be good to see Molloy and Power in action. Its important to road test these lads and integrate them into the county set. So the very best of luck to them too. I dont expect any changes from team selection apart from maybe a few positional changes up front.

It's an exciting team with potential and if they click, I'd expect us to win with plenty to spare. Credit to the management also and hopefully they can tweak the system in favour of a more attacking strategy which will suit the 15 named."
You do know Power has been involved in an inter-county set-up for a number of years now and has started several games as well? I sincerely doubt he needs to have a "road-test" to be integrated?

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 16/05/2019 16:50:02    2184666

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Team that should start v Sligo - Changes certainly needed after dodgy start v London and a good clipping from a poor Cork team the week before.

Lavelle - Has done nothing to lose his place - Power should have made himself available for the league

Kerin - Significant drop in form this year - If we had more corner backs I'd drop him
SOC - Massive fan of SOC but like Kerin, really needs to up his game
Silke - Huge addition this year

Kelly - If fit
J.Daly - Anyone that thinks he is being bossed around the place wasn't in Castlebar for the league when he went toe to toe with Aidan O'Shea and was fantastic
Bradshaw - Slowly introduce Molloy - Need an experienced head on that line for now

Flynn - MOTM v London & Galway's player of the league
M.Daly - Will move to half forward line when Duggan/Cooke/Conroy Return

Heaney - Galways most underrated player - Will battle it out with McDaid when he is fit.
Walsh - I think 11 is his best position
Leonard - I believe they are keeping him as a secret weapon for the final - Supposed to have done brilliantly in challenges

Cummins - Like many I had my doubts about Danny returning - proving me and many others wrong!
Burke - No comment required
O'Laoi - Coming on excellently

Those six forwards will rotate"
Wasn't far off

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 16/05/2019 17:10:38    2184670

Link

I agree it definitely is a better team (on paper at least) than for the London game but I would have included Leonard for Heaney and Farragher for O'Laoi. The management may think that would be too many new players starting but at least I hope they are in the subs and can be brought on during some part of the game.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2267 - 16/05/2019 17:22:53    2184675

Link

I can see the logic in playing O'Curraoin...Mayo will push up on the Galway kickout and force us to go long where they'll be hoping O'Shea and Ruane can dominate....O'Curraoin is a very good fielder so it makes sense.

Wonder who will captain the side in the absence of O'Donnell. Is Kelly still injured? He is a loss

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 16/05/2019 17:26:33    2184677

Link

Better balanced team than last day. With Damp, McDaid and Brannigan the next batch to come back definitely the balance is getting closer.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1640 - 16/05/2019 18:22:53    2184684

Link

Shame Mcdaid, and Kelly are injured and Wall who is injured or not on the panel then we would have a solid looking half back line. Bradshaw has been a great servant to Galway football but he doesn't have the pace for inter county football anymore.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 16/05/2019 18:32:24    2184685

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "You do know Power has been involved in an inter-county set-up for a number of years now and has started several games as well? I sincerely doubt he needs to have a "road-test" to be integrated?"
Very true. I've no doubt he'll do the business as he is a top class keeper. Unlike others I don't need to be convinced about starting him. He's obviously playing well in training. As a previous poster correctly pointed out, you have to trust the judgement of KW when picking his team. Best of luck to power. Hope he does well

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 16/05/2019 19:37:43    2184706

Link

Were subs named

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1035 - 16/05/2019 20:30:39    2184720

Link

Good well balanced
However the physical size of the fullforward line pretty much rules out route one

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 198 - 16/05/2019 20:51:31    2184725

Link

Good see few changes Silke in his best position molloy good see him In team full forward line all same type players my opinion, and unlike most posters I'm not sure about Power in goal think he looks under pressure with ball in hand hope I'm wrong ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 16/05/2019 21:47:52    2184737

Link

I know this unrelated 2 the team selection against Sligo. But is it definite that Dylan Wall and Micheal Farragher have left the Galway panel and are Jason Leonard and Martin Farragher still involved just want 2 know so we can put Corofin topic behind us!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 17/05/2019 00:19:04    2184774

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Good see few changes Silke in his best position molloy good see him In team full forward line all same type players my opinion, and unlike most posters I'm not sure about Power in goal think he looks under pressure with ball in hand hope I'm wrong ,"
I think that he picked power and o currain as a link together. Powers long kick outs will find him and allow us tonpoisitin further up the pitch

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 17/05/2019 07:10:54    2184791

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Good well balanced
However the physical size of the fullforward line pretty much rules out route one"
It might rule out high ball being bombed in (although Cummins and Burke are more than competitive in the air for thier size), but that full-forward line has great movement so it should be ideal for letting quick kick-passes in to space. Having Walsh running on from deeper and taking quick lay-offs from the inside line would be a good threat.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 596 - 17/05/2019 09:11:06    2184804

Link