Liam Silke
Molloy
Wall
Steede
Leonard
Michael Farragher
Ian Burke
Martin Farragher

If they did they are not in the Galway squad as no county player available last weekend."
Steede and Mike Farragher played against St Michaels-don't think any of the others did

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 343 - 14/05/2019 22:29:11    2184161

Link

Team that should start v Sligo - Changes certainly needed after dodgy start v London and a good clipping from a poor Cork team the week before.

Lavelle - Has done nothing to lose his place - Power should have made himself available for the league

Kerin - Significant drop in form this year - If we had more corner backs I'd drop him
SOC - Massive fan of SOC but like Kerin, really needs to up his game
Silke - Huge addition this year

Kelly - If fit
J.Daly - Anyone that thinks he is being bossed around the place wasn't in Castlebar for the league when he went toe to toe with Aidan O'Shea and was fantastic
Bradshaw - Slowly introduce Molloy - Need an experienced head on that line for now

Flynn - MOTM v London & Galway's player of the league
M.Daly - Will move to half forward line when Duggan/Cooke/Conroy Return

Heaney - Galways most underrated player - Will battle it out with McDaid when he is fit.
Walsh - I think 11 is his best position
Leonard - I believe they are keeping him as a secret weapon for the final - Supposed to have done brilliantly in challenges

Cummins - Like many I had my doubts about Danny returning - proving me and many others wrong!
Burke - No comment required
O'Laoi - Coming on excellently

Those six forwards will rotate

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 14/05/2019 23:51:12    2184181

Link

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "Steede and Mike Farragher played against St Michaels-don't think any of the others did"
Mike gone, Martin still there..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 14/05/2019 23:52:47    2184182

Link

No matter who takes the field,I first of all hope for a win,I definitley think galway will go man to man.i really do hope sligo put it up to us,no point in another big galway win and finding out nothing.
On the other side I hope the rossies dont show up too many of the mayo deficiencies,mayo will be going full press to get the ball kicked to centre field hoping the colossus o shea will get his hands on it.interesting to see what tactics will be employed.the rossies will have a packed defence it could be interesting, a mayo win though.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 15/05/2019 00:16:08    2184186

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Team that should start v Sligo - Changes certainly needed after dodgy start v London and a good clipping from a poor Cork team the week before.

Lavelle - Has done nothing to lose his place - Power should have made himself available for the league

Kerin - Significant drop in form this year - If we had more corner backs I'd drop him

Kelly - If fit
J.Daly - Anyone that thinks he is being bossed around the place wasn't in Castlebar for the league when he went toe to toe with Aidan O'Shea and was fantastic
Bradshaw - Slowly introduce Molloy - Need an experienced head on that line for now

Heaney - Galways most underrated player - Will battle it out with McDaid when he is fit.
Leonard - I believe they are keeping him as a secret weapon for the final - Supposed to have done brilliantly in challenges

Cummins - Like many I had my doubts about Danny returning - proving me and many others wrong!

Those six forwards will rotate"
Good post gaa190 but where do you see Martin Farragher fit into those plans? I would rate him as being in the top 3 forwards in Galway - consistently excellent for Corofin.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 15/05/2019 09:09:16    2184215

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Team that should start v Sligo - Changes certainly needed after dodgy start v London and a good clipping from a poor Cork team the week before.

Kelly - If fit

Those six forwards will rotate"
Power was injured for most of the league.
He was available but not selected for a few league games if what I'm hearing is correct.
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start a game in the near future.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 238 - 15/05/2019 10:58:47    2184255

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Good post gaa190 but where do you see Martin Farragher fit into those plans? I would rate him as being in the top 3 forwards in Galway - consistently excellent for Corofin."
After the London game, KW spoke about missed opportunities being the main reason for the poor performance.

There's only one way of addressing that problem and that's making changes. Its very simple. Cunningham, cummins and Heaney were poor against london. They're all decent players but if you don't perform then a stint on the bench can help focus the mind.

Martin farragher and leonard weren't even in the match day panel. They should be called in. It's hard to imagine them missing the wasted chances KW referred to. Molloy should also be starting at the back or even at wing forward if KW wants someone to track back. He has a big engine and is more than capable of taking a few scores on the break.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 15/05/2019 11:58:19    2184272

Link

For someone adamant you aren't from Corofin your solutions to every problem in the Galway team across multiple posts is to exclusively name Corofin players to play instead of non Corofin players.

Interesting.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 15/05/2019 13:49:14    2184299

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "For someone adamant you aren't from Corofin your solutions to every problem in the Galway team across multiple posts is to exclusively name Corofin players to play instead of non Corofin players.

Interesting."
Like alot of genuine football supporters from around the county who are not from corofin, I'd like to see farragher and leonard get a chance. I can't see why you would have an issue with either of them getting a run or indeed Molloy for that matter

Unless of course that might be too much of a risk to take for you. We couldn't have a situation like farragher kicking 5 or 6 points from play and leonard nailing all the frees. That might put your nose out of joint and we couldn't have that.

I'd love to know what your solution to our problem up front is. Who do you think should drop to the bench ? Or should we keep our heads buried in the sand and start the same six forwards again. Is that your solution ?

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 15/05/2019 18:40:02    2184377

Link

The only county that plays with 6 forwards is Dublin as they are so strong everywhere they can do it. We play with 4. Two inside and two outside. We play with a 3rd midfielder (usually Cooke or Conroy) and an extra half back (Heaney/kelly) . If everyone is fit 3 players are unquestionable certs to fill those 4 spots. Comer, Burke, Walsh. That leaves one spot as a forward for Branigan, Varley, O'Laoi, Daly etc to fight over.

Id like to see us get more attack from our half backs and would start Molloy there as ive said repeatedly. Thats where modern teams get their cutting edge from - Lee Keegan, Colm Boyle, Paddy Durcan, james mccarthy, Jack mcCaffrey, tiernan mcCann.

KW is watching the panel 4 nights a week. He is at multiple club games every club weekend. He won two All Irelands and had us in the league final and all ireland semi final last season. I trust his judgment more than some lad on a message board who wants to see his favourites picked.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 15/05/2019 19:50:34    2184387

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "Power was injured for most of the league.
He was available but not selected for a few league games if what I'm hearing is correct.
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start a game in the near future."
Agree with the original poster that lavelle has done nothing to lose his no 1 Jersey. I thought it was great some of the corofin lads made themselves but even if Power was not injured during the league or not he has every right to chose not to make himself available and concentrate on the club championship. There is no SHOULD have made himself available . That is where I don't agree with the previous poster. His choice

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1010 - 15/05/2019 21:35:08    2184414

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "The only county that plays with 6 forwards is Dublin as they are so strong everywhere they can do it. We play with 4. Two inside and two outside. We play with a 3rd midfielder (usually Cooke or Conroy) and an extra half back (Heaney/kelly) . If everyone is fit 3 players are unquestionable certs to fill those 4 spots. Comer, Burke, Walsh. That leaves one spot as a forward for Branigan, Varley, O'Laoi, Daly etc to fight over.

Id like to see us get more attack from our half backs and would start Molloy there as ive said repeatedly. Thats where modern teams get their cutting edge from - Lee Keegan, Colm Boyle, Paddy Durcan, james mccarthy, Jack mcCaffrey, tiernan mcCann.

KW is watching the panel 4 nights a week. He is at multiple club games every club weekend. He won two All Irelands and had us in the league final and all ireland semi final last season. I trust his judgment more than some lad on a message board who wants to see his favourites picked."
If I can go to the odd intermediate match I do and I've often seen KW there. I rarely if ever saw any previous managers there. He is actively looking for players all the time

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1010 - 15/05/2019 21:39:27    2184415

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Agree with the original poster that lavelle has done nothing to lose his no 1 Jersey. I thought it was great some of the corofin lads made themselves but even if Power was not injured during the league or not he has every right to chose not to make himself available and concentrate on the club championship. There is no SHOULD have made himself available . That is where I don't agree with the previous poster. His choice"
Should have - If he wanted to over take Lavelle as number one.

Now he will have to wait for Lavelle to have a string of poor performances.

No player involved with their club should "have to" make themselves available to the County. In Power's case - in my opinion he should have made himself available if he wanted to over take Lavelle.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 16/05/2019 10:09:36    2184492

Link

Kevin Walsh's record as Galway manager, vs Mayo
Played: 7
Won: 6
Lost: 1
This in a period where most pundits have Mayo as the second best team in the country. Have faith in the big man

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 16/05/2019 12:20:16    2184556

Link

Power,Fiontain and Molloy to start.Team just announced

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 343 - 16/05/2019 13:43:04    2184591

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Should have - If he wanted to over take Lavelle as number one.

Now he will have to wait for Lavelle to have a string of poor performances.

No player involved with their club should "have to" make themselves available to the County. In Power's case - in my opinion he should have made himself available if he wanted to over take Lavelle."
Not long to wait....

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 16/05/2019 13:56:21    2184598

Link

So the team is named:
Bernard Power
Eoghan Kerin
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
Liam Silke
Kieran Molloy
Gareth Bradshaw
John Daly
Thomas Flynn
Fiontán Ó Curraoin
Shane Walsh
Michael Daly
Johnny Heaney
Antaine Ó Laoi
Ian Burke
Danny Cummins

Starts for Kieran Molloy and Bernard Power. I'm very glad to see Molloy getting his chance in particular. We'll hopefully see a much improved performance and a significant increase in work-rate.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 584 - 16/05/2019 14:01:39    2184600

Link

Power,Fiontain and Molloy to start.Team just announced

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 343 - 16/05/2019 14:03:01    2184601

Link

Solid looking team. Very tasty forward line. Looking forward to it

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 16/05/2019 14:18:21    2184607

Link

Team looks decent. FOC getting a start is a bid left field.

That said, KW usually has 2 or 3 changes on the morning of the game so pinch of salt

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 16/05/2019 14:19:47    2184608

Link