Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

What in the Lord Jesus gives us the notion we should be winning all Ireland's ?????
Don't see major evidence from the last 18 years
Maybe we will but in any of the previews of this years championship I have heard we are not even mentioned

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 11/05/2019 15:06:48    2183101

Link

Based on the squad that's training and available for selection I'd have
1 Ruairi Lavelle
2 David Wynne
3 Sean Andy
4 Declan Kyne
5 Gareth Bradshaw
6 Gearoid Armstrong
7 Johnny Heaney
8 Fiontain O Curraoin
9 Peter Cooke
10 Antoine O Laoi
11 David Cunnane
12 Sean Kelly
13 Eamon Brannigan
14 Rob Finnerty
15 Finnian O Laoi

Especially with the Connacht final in Pearse Stadium, these lads thrive in there and would have no complaints about congestion around the place.

Galwaygaa.ie (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 12/05/2019 11:25:21    2183247

Link

Replying To Galwaygaa.ie:  "Based on the squad that's training and available for selection I'd have
1 Ruairi Lavelle
2 David Wynne
3 Sean Andy
4 Declan Kyne
5 Gareth Bradshaw
6 Gearoid Armstrong
7 Johnny Heaney
8 Fiontain O Curraoin
9 Peter Cooke
10 Antoine O Laoi
11 David Cunnane
12 Sean Kelly
13 Eamon Brannigan
14 Rob Finnerty
15 Finnian O Laoi

Especially with the Connacht final in Pearse Stadium, these lads thrive in there and would have no complaints about congestion around the place."
Leave down the wooden spoon..

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 245 - 12/05/2019 11:56:03    2183255

Link

Replying To Galwaygaa.ie:  "Based on the squad that's training and available for selection I'd have
1 Ruairi Lavelle
2 David Wynne
3 Sean Andy
4 Declan Kyne
5 Gareth Bradshaw
6 Gearoid Armstrong
7 Johnny Heaney
8 Fiontain O Curraoin
9 Peter Cooke
10 Antoine O Laoi
11 David Cunnane
12 Sean Kelly
13 Eamon Brannigan
14 Rob Finnerty
15 Finnian O Laoi

Especially with the Connacht final in Pearse Stadium, these lads thrive in there and would have no complaints about congestion around the place."
So... no Shane Walsh, Ian Burke, Liam Silke, Tom Flynn, Mike Daly for a start. And David Cunnane centre forward?
Thank the Lord you are nowhere near a county management setup!

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 650 - 12/05/2019 12:06:14    2183259

Link

1 Ruairi Lavelle
2 David Wynne
3 Sean Andy
4 Declan Kyne
5 Gareth Bradshaw
6 Gearoid Armstrong
7 Johnny Heaney
8 Fiontain O Curraoin
9 Peter Cooke
10 Antoine O Laoi
11 David Cunnane
12 Sean Kelly
13 Eamon Brannigan
14 Rob Finnerty
15 Finnian O Laoi

I heard Pearse Stadium surface was in good condition for hurling match. They have had to put down 2 types of seed. You weren't on the grass by any chance.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 352 - 13/05/2019 01:25:08    2183472

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "So... no Shane Walsh, Ian Burke, Liam Silke, Tom Flynn, Mike Daly for a start. And David Cunnane centre forward?
Thank the Lord you are nowhere near a county management setup!"
I think there is a Western bias to that selection - lol!!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2267 - 13/05/2019 02:55:54    2183475

Link

Kieran Molloy is one of those players who is getting better every time he doesn't play. Great player but he to my mind has never started a senior match for Galway.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 311 - 13/05/2019 12:58:10    2183625

Link

1 Ruairi Lavelle
2 David Wynne
3 Sean Andy
4 Declan Kyne
5 Gareth Bradshaw
6 Gearoid Armstrong
7 Johnny Heaney
8 Fiontain O Curraoin
9 Peter Cooke
10 Antoine O Laoi
11 David Cunnane
12 Sean Kelly
13 Eamon Brannigan
14 Rob Finnerty
15 Finnian O Laoi

1 Ruairi Lavelle
2 David Wynne
3 Sean Andy
4 Declan Kyne
5 Gareth Bradshaw
6 David Cunnane
7 Gearoid Armstrong
8 Fiontain O Curraoin
9 Peter Cooke
10 Johnny Heaney
11 Antoine O Laoi
12 Sean Kelly
13 Eamon Brannigan
14 Rob Finnerty
15 Finnian O Laoi

Good selection, but think they would be better off in these positions. think we should play with 13 behind the ball with rob finnerty and antaine as the 2 lone forwards. should be strong enuf to challenge vs sligo. be great to be in a connacht junior final before the senior game on the 16th of july!!

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 13/05/2019 15:23:33    2183697

Link

Well this thread as descended into farce

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 608 - 13/05/2019 16:07:15    2183710

Link

Replying To Galwaygaa.ie:  "Has Barry McHugh not left the panel?"
I believe so but it would be crying shame if he is out of the panel for the year. if there is issues, management should be able to sort them out... management teams forget what it was like to be in their twenties sometimes, Kevin Walsh above all lads... no one cared about his "hamstring injuries" in April as long as he was available in July to take on Mayo. This would mirror my thoughts towards Barry McHugh, he's a class free taker, who can score goals in high pressure games & we need him if we are to have any chance. Not too many lads like him around that can kick 45s and with the couldn't care less swagger needed for big games.. hit 2 big frees in castlebar last year, hit 6 frees against Dublin in league final last year. with Armstrong retired, who's going to hit big frees?

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 13/05/2019 16:51:05    2183724

Link

1 Ruairi Lavelle
2 David Wynne
3 Sean Andy
4 Declan Kyne
5 Gareth Bradshaw
6 Gearoid Armstrong
7 Johnny Heaney
8 Fiontain O Curraoin
9 Peter Cooke
10 Antoine O Laoi
11 David Cunnane
12 Sean Kelly
13 Eamon Brannigan
14 Rob Finnerty
15 Finnian O Laoi

Nice West Galway selection. Try this for a North board selection. Not a fada in sight but plenty of medal winners
1 Power
2 Molloy
3 Silke
4 Wall
5 O Donnell
6 Daly
7 Mcdaid
8 Duggan
9 Daly
10 Leonard
11 Walsh
12 Mike farragher
13 Burke
14 Martin Farragher
15 Mchugh/Varley/ Cummins

When Comer gets fit, I'd slot him in at 14 and move Martin Farragher to 15. Couldn't see the north board lads having any chance against your 15 from out west. LOL
On a serious note, the county board should organise a charity match every year on St Stephens day with all proceeds going to few local charities. I'm sure it would be a popular event with the supporters and also an opportunity for the senior management to have a look at a few up and coming players

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 13/05/2019 18:36:02    2183776

Link

The pick an entire West Board 15 to keep traffic down joke went over a lot of peoples heads

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 285 - 13/05/2019 19:47:23    2183792

Link

Flynn isn't on some of these teams. He is probably the first lad on the sheet these days with all members of management agreeing. Ive always rated him but last year he was phenomenal and luckily his form is continuing. He is a leader when we need one.

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1040 - 13/05/2019 21:02:37    2183813

Link

Replying To hailrainorsnow:  "I believe so but it would be crying shame if he is out of the panel for the year. if there is issues, management should be able to sort them out... management teams forget what it was like to be in their twenties sometimes, Kevin Walsh above all lads... no one cared about his "hamstring injuries" in April as long as he was available in July to take on Mayo. This would mirror my thoughts towards Barry McHugh, he's a class free taker, who can score goals in high pressure games & we need him if we are to have any chance. Not too many lads like him around that can kick 45s and with the couldn't care less swagger needed for big games.. hit 2 big frees in castlebar last year, hit 6 frees against Dublin in league final last year. with Armstrong retired, who's going to hit big frees?"
Totally agree , we need a reliable free taker if we are to go anywhere. Remember Dean Rock was carried on the Dublin team for a couple of years because of his free taking ability. Barry McHugh in my opinion is our best free taker by a long way.

SAM1998 (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 14/05/2019 10:21:55    2183903

Link

Replying To SAM1998:  "Totally agree , we need a reliable free taker if we are to go anywhere. Remember Dean Rock was carried on the Dublin team for a couple of years because of his free taking ability. Barry McHugh in my opinion is our best free taker by a long way."
He was last year but even his free taking form dipped this year missing frees he normally wouldn't. Jason Leonard isn't far away from him in the free taking stakes and just as good a player-probably needs a year in the set-up before physically strong enough to nail down inter county starting place ??

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 14/05/2019 10:51:08    2183916

Link

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "He was last year but even his free taking form dipped this year missing frees he normally wouldn't. Jason Leonard isn't far away from him in the free taking stakes and just as good a player-probably needs a year in the set-up before physically strong enough to nail down inter county starting place ??"
Posters really need a list of current players involved with Galway because some lads ye are naming are no longer in there !

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 14/05/2019 11:22:19    2183928

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Posters really need a list of current players involved with Galway because some lads ye are naming are no longer in there !"
Take it by referring to my post Jason no longer involved so and in fairness you should know- himself and Martin Farragher were definitely involved prior to London trip but maybe no longer???Is anyone sure who are definitely there or not there.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 14/05/2019 13:18:51    2183960

Link

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "Take it by referring to my post Jason no longer involved so and in fairness you should know- himself and Martin Farragher were definitely involved prior to London trip but maybe no longer???Is anyone sure who are definitely there or not there."
No, apologies . Didn't mean to reply to yours specifically. Jason still in there, but one or two others not...

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 14/05/2019 14:17:51    2183985

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "No, apologies . Didn't mean to reply to yours specifically. Jason still in there, but one or two others not..."
So Jason Leonard is still involved but the Farraghers are not?

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 14/05/2019 14:52:53    2183995

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Posters really need a list of current players involved with Galway because some lads ye are naming are no longer in there !"
Corofin played Michaels last weekend in the league
Did the following line out?
Power
Liam Silke
Molloy
Wall
Steede
Leonard
Michael Farragher
Ian Burke
Martin Farragher

If they did they are not in the Galway squad as no county player available last weekend.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 353 - 14/05/2019 16:24:38    2184038

Link