Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It's his fourth year on the panel lads. This isn't someone who has never gotten a chance before.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 08/05/2019 09:10:22    2182416

Link

Lavelle, mark my words he will have a howler or two this year

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 08/05/2019 10:42:52    2182429

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Lavelle, mark my words he will have a howler or two this year"
That's the spirit. It's almost like people want him to fail. Then again we had another poster who wanted Galway to lose to engineer the removal of Walsh so that sums up our mentality as supporters

I think last year was the first summer for some time our starting goalkeepers didn't make a noticeable mistake.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 08/05/2019 13:21:15    2182470

Link

Replying To Pullin.lambs1:  "No need for Molloy to come on? This is championship football. This isn't a challenge in LoughGeorge. Molloy might be a bit loose in his defending. He plays with his head up ready to attack so if there is anything to learn and tighten up defensively it is was in London. Sligo in 2 weeks will be another test. Time to work on things I don't think so. defensive tactics and slow play are part of Galway for the last number of years. During the league was the time to open up and play football and continue that into the Championship. A number of places up for graps especially around the middle."
No need for Molloy as in why would you want to put anything on film as to patterned runs from the back line or anything like that. Let that work be done in the background and then let Mayo see it for the first time in the Connacht final. Dont give them a look at a more potent half back line with Daly and Molloy together ahead of time.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 71 - 08/05/2019 13:38:05    2182475

Link

I'm really not understanding why Lavelle is getting so much stick, thats ridiculous.

As for Kevin Walsh there's plenty of us have reservations over him but its far too early to be writing him off.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 08/05/2019 15:06:18    2182504

Link

Wasn't at the game so unfortunately had to listen to GBFM coverage. Ollie Turner and Frank I think it was said Gary O Donnell slipped for first goal when it was clearly Kerins from every match report and highlights I saw. Barely a mention of Tom Flynn and I saw on Galway Footballer's page that he got MOTM. Did anyone else find this? Nearly hoping Galway would fail I thought!?
Thank god I will be able to go to the remainder of games and wont have to listen to that again!
Hoping to see Molloy start against Sligo, this is the time to give him some games, don't want him thrown in against Mayo in the heat of battle. Think Kevin will stick with Lavelle, seems to like him a lot.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 08/05/2019 15:12:41    2182505

Link

Great performance by Div 4 London who nearly turned over one of the favourites for the All Ireland. London do a great job in a massive city where time spent commuting is difficult, where other counties & clubs as we saw last w'end come over fundraising in London's catchment area drawing from their pot, the difficulty of travelling for matches & its cost & the difficulty of developing facilities in one of the most expensive cities in the world. In that regard a certain Oranmore Maree man both as a player & administrator has proved what happens when you put high caliber people in place on Boards instead of strokers. He has been one of those instrumental in the redevelopment of Mc Govern Park & the coaching structures to produce more home based players. At club level there have been many Galway people involved for decades in London who never get any acclaim for the great work they do over there. So while they lost this w'end, it was a moral victory for all those, their heads should be held high this week.
In contrast the amount of bitching & politics that is going on behind the scenes in Galway at present on & off the field, (which is no surprise) doesn't bode well. A number of people setting themselves up now & poised to pounce & getting people sowing the seeds of discontent on & off the field. Some people looking over their shoulders now to see who has the dagger under their cloak, a facet never far away in Galway football. Management are in year 5 out of 6, regardless of what people think of results, team picked, style of play, if you commit to giving someone 6 years then you must honour it. But this is Galway, so who knows, honour & honesty aren't high on the agenda, a number of names for managing & playing being put out there & what will happen if Galway are turned over by someone.
Next big purchase for Galway GAA after this w'end is more bubble wrap.

Uimhir.a.3. (Galway) - Posts: 409 - 08/05/2019 15:20:05    2182507

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "Wasn't at the game so unfortunately had to listen to GBFM coverage. Ollie Turner and Frank I think it was said Gary O Donnell slipped for first goal when it was clearly Kerins from every match report and highlights I saw. Barely a mention of Tom Flynn and I saw on Galway Footballer's page that he got MOTM. Did anyone else find this? Nearly hoping Galway would fail I thought!?
Thank god I will be able to go to the remainder of games and wont have to listen to that again!
Hoping to see Molloy start against Sligo, this is the time to give him some games, don't want him thrown in against Mayo in the heat of battle. Think Kevin will stick with Lavelle, seems to like him a lot."
Someone other than OT doing galway games is long overdue but will probably be hearing him for another 20 years.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 08/05/2019 16:03:32    2182526

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Very one eyed post. Lavelle has held his place and likely deserves it but the facts are he has made errors. He missed several games for Salthill last year and came back and threw one in in Tuam. His kickouts are hit and miss and the reality is he doesn't tend to have to make piles of saves due to our mass defence policy."
In my post i alluded to his clear errors v tyrone and roscommon so i have no idea what you are talking about with "one eyed" . He has been very good for two years now and i see no reason to drop him.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 08/05/2019 16:07:15    2182529

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "From your post, I can only assume you didn't see too much of corofin this year and certainly didn't tune in on paddy's day. To say their success had little to do with Power is amazing. In the connacht final, it was his brilliant 60 yard pass to Sice that set up the corofin goal when the game was up for grabs. Very few keepers in the game have that in their locker. That pass was the winning of the game.

In the all ireland final, his kickouts laid the foundation for the win. He set up numerous quick counter attacks with his pin point accuracy and vision from kickouts and general play. Molloy got man of the match. Power was a very close second for that award. The panel on the Sunday game gave him huge praise."
Wrong on your many assumptions here Corofin boy.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 08/05/2019 16:08:26    2182530

Link

Replying To GDL:  "There is no question about his shot stopping but many of his saves are as a result of his kickouts going wrong or being turned over. His kickouts remain suspect. Only for the black cards Galway would have been in serious trouble versus Cavan in the league. When Cavan got back to 15 players his kickouts imploded as they pressed up. He kicked 6 or 7 poor ones on the spin, Flynn then made a monster catch on the stand side and Galway held out. Power has the ability to go deep into the oppositions half and take pressure off the back six or ten in Galways current situation. His kickouts were also poor against Monaghan granted the wind was shocking in Inniskeen but he should be used to it from Salthill, and again Flynn made a massive catch at tge end to save us. He goes on numerous aimless solo runs and against Mayo and Tyrone he got punished and got turned over. He calked for the ball from Sean Andy, he should never have been on tje 45....goal scored, anotger mistake granted he got a poor pass.

If you are making the case that Power has ultimate protection from Corofin backs you are making the case for Silke, Wall and Molloy to start. So who drops out?"
Id absolutely start Silke and Molloy for what it is worth. Silke at corner back and Molloy at wing back. GOD would drop out as would Wynne. Think Molloy is well worth trying, even if he had to be named wing forward as KW probably feels he is very attack minded and might leave gaps behind at county level. Since we tend to name a wing forward who interchanges with a wing back (Heaney/Kelly) i would be very happy to try Molloy in one of those roles as i think he is a serious talent and a breath of fresh air to be honest.

As i said in my post nothing wrong with Power as a keeper, i see them fairly similar level to be honest but i think the clear clamour to see Power in is coming from a certain geographical area on here and we all know where!

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 08/05/2019 16:12:35    2182535

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "Wasn't at the game so unfortunately had to listen to GBFM coverage. Ollie Turner and Frank I think it was said Gary O Donnell slipped for first goal when it was clearly Kerins from every match report and highlights I saw. Barely a mention of Tom Flynn and I saw on Galway Footballer's page that he got MOTM. Did anyone else find this? Nearly hoping Galway would fail I thought!?
Hoping to see Molloy start against Sligo, this is the time to give him some games, don't want him thrown in against Mayo in the heat of battle. Think Kevin will stick with Lavelle, seems to like him a lot."
Agreed.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 607 - 08/05/2019 16:30:12    2182543

Link

Replying To Uimhir.a.3.:  "Great performance by Div 4 London who nearly turned over one of the favourites for the All Ireland. London do a great job in a massive city where time spent commuting is difficult, where other counties & clubs as we saw last w'end come over fundraising in London's catchment area drawing from their pot, the difficulty of travelling for matches & its cost & the difficulty of developing facilities in one of the most expensive cities in the world. In that regard a certain Oranmore Maree man both as a player & administrator has proved what happens when you put high caliber people in place on Boards instead of strokers. He has been one of those instrumental in the redevelopment of Mc Govern Park & the coaching structures to produce more home based players. At club level there have been many Galway people involved for decades in London who never get any acclaim for the great work they do over there. So while they lost this w'end, it was a moral victory for all those, their heads should be held high this week.
In contrast the amount of bitching & politics that is going on behind the scenes in Galway at present on & off the field, (which is no surprise) doesn't bode well. A number of people setting themselves up now & poised to pounce & getting people sowing the seeds of discontent on & off the field. Some people looking over their shoulders now to see who has the dagger under their cloak, a facet never far away in Galway football. Management are in year 5 out of 6, regardless of what people think of results, team picked, style of play, if you commit to giving someone 6 years then you must honour it. But this is Galway, so who knows, honour & honesty aren't high on the agenda, a number of names for managing & playing being put out there & what will happen if Galway are turned over by someone.
Next big purchase for Galway GAA after this w'end is more bubble wrap."
Fantastic post!

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 08/05/2019 18:49:11    2182576

Link

Replying To galway19:  "No need for Molloy as in why would you want to put anything on film as to patterned runs from the back line or anything like that. Let that work be done in the background and then let Mayo see it for the first time in the Connacht final. Dont give them a look at a more potent half back line with Daly and Molloy together ahead of time."
Stop stop stop. Brian Cody is the only man for springing somebody that hasn't play championship. The set up compared to Corofin is totally different. Molloy to his credit is probably the most eager guy ever and I'm sure he is only bullin to get game time. KW isn't going to take risks against any team and that is evident with Martin Farragher only getting a call up a few weeks ago then left at home. I hope Molloy gets a run against Sligo and that things kick on and ready for Mayo. They didn't spare NY and it's about time Galway brought that ruthlessness to their game.

Pullin.lambs1 (Galway) - Posts: 39 - 08/05/2019 19:25:37    2182582

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "Lavelle, mark my words he will have a howler or two this year"
Seriously you clearly would be delighted if he did. Pathetic I have my favourites on the team but when they're not selected I never wish anyone else plays badly. Galway have awful "fans" . All the lads deserve so much respect they give up so much of their family time and social lives to do this and have to put up with so much crap

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1005 - 08/05/2019 19:31:02    2182585

Link

Replying To Uimhir.a.3.:  "Great performance by Div 4 London who nearly turned over one of the favourites for the All Ireland. London do a great job in a massive city where time spent commuting is difficult, where other counties & clubs as we saw last w'end come over fundraising in London's catchment area drawing from their pot, the difficulty of travelling for matches & its cost & the difficulty of developing facilities in one of the most expensive cities in the world. In that regard a certain Oranmore Maree man both as a player & administrator has proved what happens when you put high caliber people in place on Boards instead of strokers. He has been one of those instrumental in the redevelopment of Mc Govern Park & the coaching structures to produce more home based players. At club level there have been many Galway people involved for decades in London who never get any acclaim for the great work they do over there. So while they lost this w'end, it was a moral victory for all those, their heads should be held high this week.
Next big purchase for Galway GAA after this w'end is more bubble wrap."
I hate that that last part of your post is true

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1005 - 08/05/2019 19:41:10    2182586

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Seriously you clearly would be delighted if he did. Pathetic I have my favourites on the team but when they're not selected I never wish anyone else plays badly. Galway have awful "fans" . All the lads deserve so much respect they give up so much of their family time and social lives to do this and have to put up with so much crap"
Galway have a very small number of true fans and a much larger number of casual observers masquerading as fans - there'a a big difference between the two. And on the subject of GBFM coverage, Turner is well past his sell by date as a commentator. His constant negativity is nauseating to say the least. Why not give the gig to someone like Tommy Devane who makes for a pleasant change from the norm on the few occasions he is given the opportunity.

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 08/05/2019 20:35:42    2182597

Link

After the showing in ruislip id expect a big backlash in Sligo Sunday week. First championship games are for winning and they did that wether it was pretty or not. Would hope and expect they'll up it another gear and put up a decent score against a poor Sligo team

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 08/05/2019 21:37:29    2182605

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "That's the spirit. It's almost like people want him to fail. Then again we had another poster who wanted Galway to lose to engineer the removal of Walsh so that sums up our mentality as supporters

I think last year was the first summer for some time our starting goalkeepers didn't make a noticeable mistake."
Last year was also the first year of our mass defensive system.
Having an opinion and wanting someone to fail are two different things.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 238 - 09/05/2019 07:54:44    2182640

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Belclare your getting awfully exercised over a first round fixture. We were excellent in the league despite so many injuries. Relax man. We will peek for the mayo match/ connacht final and take them by 3 in the stadium. Chill man!"
We were the only Div 1 team to lie down against Dublin.
The Tyrone second half was shocking given what was on the line, (a national title with Dublin out of the picture v an over rated young Kerry team) "
Ah sure its only the league"
Look at the momentum Mayo have gained from bullying Kerry in the league final from an opportunity we gifted them!!!
Yes we had injuries and yes we found some new talent which is great but can anyone honestly say they have any idea which Galway will show up against Mayo this year (assuming we get to the C Final)
They will arrive in Pearse Stadium with a new self belief to meet an obviously confused Galway team.
The pundits are as confused as we are about this Galway team.
They all say we have the talent and great forwards but they have no idea what our style of play is. Neither do I.
Tyrone changed their style of play in less than 1 year. Why cant we?
A team without weapons and talent has to play defensive football to survive.
That's not Galway any more. We need to dismantle defensive teams and systems not outlast them!!!
Cut loose and have a go. Dublin will probably be a step too far ahead again this year.
Kerry are smart and already aiming to be ready for next year.
They'll have a go at everyone, gain knowledge and experience as they go.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 238 - 09/05/2019 08:29:40    2182647

Link