Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Plenty of time to improve and we got the win notwithstanding a terrible performance. Think the stick Kevin Walsh is getting here is way over the top. show a bit of patience and respect to a Galway legend. Facts are he has gotten us from league 2 to one of the top teams in the country, we will be well in the mix for the Connacht title and the super 8s. Neither us or Mayo are anywhere near Dublin at this stage but are as good as the other top sides and if Dublin slip up to someone who knows. No point relentlessly going on about Corofin lads(all fine footballers) who are not on the panel, time to get behind the lads who are and the manager

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 06/05/2019 20:23:35    2182184

Link

Yes trucker and belclare and co will be eating dallops of humble pie after the connacht final. O ye of little faith in Kevin. We were in hell 5 years ago. Exercise your memory belclare.

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 350 - 06/05/2019 20:47:31    2182188

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "How do you know he hasn't done enough. All evidence points to the contrary. He has 3 all ireland medals in his back pocket. Maybe he should give up club football altogether. Is that your solution"
Not too long ago, I posted a reasonable enough argument on why he shouldn't be automatically installed as No.1. I can repost if you'd like but essentially my point he has been a part of the squad for four years now and hasn't been able to nail down a starting position. I don't buy into your argument that he has been winning All-irelands so cant play league etc. because it wasn't an issue for other Corofin players AND he got his debut in 2016 after having no involvement in the league that year.

As well as that, I have been impressed enough with Lavelle to the extent it would be most unfair to drop him unless his form dropped dramatically. My feeling is that his ability as a goalkeeper was sealed in the eyes of many after the 2017 Connacht final. That was nearly two years ago. He's recovered immensely since then to become our consistent first choice. It's his to lose and that shouldn't happen overnight again in my opinion.

There's no vendetta against Power, No chip on my shoulder as my ol chum Belclare oddly put it. I just don't get the clamour for changing goalkeepers when we have an established No.1 already. Lavelle had one really bad kick-out yesterday but was fine besides that imo. (And that's all this is lads, My opinion)

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 06/05/2019 20:52:04    2182189

Link

Not going to buy into the end of the world stuff regarding our play yesterday. We all know we're capable of better in this set-up and im sure we will see that starting in the next game.

Let Mayo relax and celebrate in Times Square all they want, we all know there is bigger days ahead and we should focus on that.

I will agree with the consensus regarding Kieran Molloy and not getting a second of game-time yesterday. Very strange decision

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 06/05/2019 21:06:00    2182190

Link

Molloy has been brilliant for Corofin without doubt.
I have a feeling that there is a perception out there that he is not good defensively in one on one situations.
He spends his time bombing forward for Corofin and I suppose that level of freedom would not be there with the county.
Personally think he is worth giving a chance to at least.
One of the Galway backs (I think GOD) went down at one stage and it looked like he may have needed to be replaced - according to gbfm it was David Cunnane who was about to be sprung.
With all due respect to him he isnt in the same league as Molloy.
Strange.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 646 - 06/05/2019 22:06:36    2182194

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Molloy has been brilliant for Corofin without doubt.
I have a feeling that there is a perception out there that he is not good defensively in one on one situations.
He spends his time bombing forward for Corofin and I suppose that level of freedom would not be there with the county.
One of the Galway backs (I think GOD) went down at one stage and it looked like he may have needed to be replaced - according to gbfm it was David Cunnane who was about to be sprung.
Strange."
Not strange. Molloy was never coming on yesterday. For certain reasons. He will be close but not certain for Sligo. But will start the Connacht Final. Nothing sinister. Nothing wrong. He has simply been brought a bit slower than other Corofin players. I find it strange the poster who has been to so many training sessions didn't mention how many trainings he sat out or didn't engage in the hard running fully. Maybe he'll give the full story soon enough.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 443 - 06/05/2019 23:30:33    2182207

Link

Maybe I am missing something but since his excellent U21 days, I can't remember FOC having many good days for Galway, and would have thought the Cooke had done very well with the few chances he got. While we have a very strong panel, the main problem remains as it was 10 years ago, a poor HB line that leaves the FB line exposed. Mayo have the best HB line in the Country, and that's the foundation for their gallant efforts against Kerry and the Dubs. Some here are suggesting that Molloy will not be up to it at intercounty, but there can be no argument against him not getting a chance to prove them right or wrong. Surely he has to start V Sligo, the only team in the entire national league to end up with zero points.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 972 - 07/05/2019 08:31:41    2182222

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Molloy has been brilliant for Corofin without doubt.
Strange."
Also according to Galway Bay FM, "the facilities here in London are second to none," cant wait to see what its like in London if the facilities are better than Croker, Thurles, Pairc de Frank, GG's etc.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 607 - 07/05/2019 09:18:46    2182230

Link

No harm to let the hype build in Mayo for the next few weeks. I think you'll see a much improved performance against Sligo and probably a few changes to the team as well. Paul Conroy didnt look far off coming back into the squad in London. I also imagine Kieran Molloy will start at 5 or get some minutes off the bench against Sligo with a view to starting the final, you can drop Silke back to corner back to replace Wynne. No need to have Molloy coming on in a game that was fairly safe in London, better to keep him under wraps for later in the year. Kevin Walsh is going to have a decision to make shortly when Cooke and Duggan get back (possibly in Sligo) as to whether Michael Daly should stay in midfield. He gets on plenty of ball in midfield and gets more space when he runs from deeper. He will probably revert back to the half forward line but if you pick him in midfield you can keep an extra forward in the team instead of Duggan. Just something to keep in mind with a view to the final.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 72 - 07/05/2019 09:31:35    2182232

Link

Sluggish in the extreme. We were never in any danger but the movement and work rate was sporadic. The constant recycling of possession is an issue. At some stage you have t take on your man.

Maybe they were content to close out the game and recycle possession over and over so as not to show their hand however that is me putting the most optimistic slant on it. The other possibility is that they are afraid to take a chance.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1024 - 07/05/2019 10:10:38    2182234

Link

Sean Andy is not going to be a guaranteed starter,there are mutterings of a change ,its hard to see who else would slot in,but his performances this year have been poor,great going forward but poor defending.on the other hand it was nice to see rob finnerty get game,to those of you who think challenge games are meaningless,it was on the strength of his performance against tipperary he got game time.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 07/05/2019 10:41:59    2182245

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Sean Andy is not going to be a guaranteed starter,there are mutterings of a change ,its hard to see who else would slot in,but his performances this year have been poor,great going forward but poor defending.on the other hand it was nice to see rob finnerty get game,to those of you who think challenge games are meaningless,it was on the strength of his performance against tipperary he got game time."
I thought Sean Andy played a good game on Sunday. Plenty of physicality to his duel which suited him. He'll need to build on it for sure in the coming weeks but its very hard to see who could replace him.

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 07/05/2019 10:57:36    2182250

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "Not too long ago, I posted a reasonable enough argument on why he shouldn't be automatically installed as No.1. I can repost if you'd like but essentially my point he has been a part of the squad for four years now and hasn't been able to nail down a starting position. I don't buy into your argument that he has been winning All-irelands so cant play league etc. because it wasn't an issue for other Corofin players AND he got his debut in 2016 after having no involvement in the league that year.

As well as that, I have been impressed enough with Lavelle to the extent it would be most unfair to drop him unless his form dropped dramatically. My feeling is that his ability as a goalkeeper was sealed in the eyes of many after the 2017 Connacht final. That was nearly two years ago. He's recovered immensely since then to become our consistent first choice. It's his to lose and that shouldn't happen overnight again in my opinion.

There's no vendetta against Power, No chip on my shoulder as my ol chum Belclare oddly put it. I just don't get the clamour for changing goalkeepers when we have an established No.1 already. Lavelle had one really bad kick-out yesterday but was fine besides that imo. (And that's all this is lads, My opinion)"
Agreed, the clamour to change the goalkeeper has been ongoing for 2 years now despite him keeping clean sheet after clean sheet last year in league and championship and his kickouts are generally speaking first class now. He was absolute cat against Roscommon in the connacht final two years ago as you say and made a big mistake V Tyrone this year in the league but otherwise has been consistently good to very good.

Methinks if Lavelle had transferred to Milltown or Tuam instead of a City club we wouldn't be having these ongoing calls to have him dropped.

Nothing against Bernie Power, he is a very solid goalkeeper but people alluding to how many All Irelands he has won are really clutching at straws. Corofin ain't winning those all irelands because of who is between their sticks when opposition teams can't get anywhere near their goals because Corofin are night and day better than everyone all over the pitch at club level.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 07/05/2019 15:15:25    2182312

Link

Surprised that molloy didn't see any minutes at all. Thought these would be the games to give him minutes and get him some championship football. Hopefully Sligo well see him play.

Could anyone at the game tell me how O laoi and Cunningham played? Be interested to hear how they adapted to championship ball.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 07/05/2019 15:25:36    2182314

Link

well it seems to me we seem to be stuck in the same gear
and theres no sign of us changing anytime soon
according to kevin the complaints about the galway teams style are coming from a few empty vessels
well firstly hes wrong there as a lot of supporters can see whats going on were not stupid
time to stop making excuses for this team as regards players injured or club tied
in the last 2 years we have got to div 1 fair enough and an all ireland semi
but thats the least wed expect anyway but my god were playing crap football
we dont seem to be making progress on developing our game
in fact some of the results for me have papered over a lot of cracks
id like to be optomistic about this year but i fear the worst

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1058 - 07/05/2019 15:37:50    2182316

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Agreed, the clamour to change the goalkeeper has been ongoing for 2 years now despite him keeping clean sheet after clean sheet last year in league and championship and his kickouts are generally speaking first class now. He was absolute cat against Roscommon in the connacht final two years ago as you say and made a big mistake V Tyrone this year in the league but otherwise has been consistently good to very good.

Methinks if Lavelle had transferred to Milltown or Tuam instead of a City club we wouldn't be having these ongoing calls to have him dropped.

Nothing against Bernie Power, he is a very solid goalkeeper but people alluding to how many All Irelands he has won are really clutching at straws. Corofin ain't winning those all irelands because of who is between their sticks when opposition teams can't get anywhere near their goals because Corofin are night and day better than everyone all over the pitch at club level."
There is no question about his shot stopping but many of his saves are as a result of his kickouts going wrong or being turned over. His kickouts remain suspect. Only for the black cards Galway would have been in serious trouble versus Cavan in the league. When Cavan got back to 15 players his kickouts imploded as they pressed up. He kicked 6 or 7 poor ones on the spin, Flynn then made a monster catch on the stand side and Galway held out. Power has the ability to go deep into the oppositions half and take pressure off the back six or ten in Galways current situation. His kickouts were also poor against Monaghan granted the wind was shocking in Inniskeen but he should be used to it from Salthill, and again Flynn made a massive catch at tge end to save us. He goes on numerous aimless solo runs and against Mayo and Tyrone he got punished and got turned over. He calked for the ball from Sean Andy, he should never have been on tje 45....goal scored, anotger mistake granted he got a poor pass.

If you are making the case that Power has ultimate protection from Corofin backs you are making the case for Silke, Wall and Molloy to start. So who drops out?

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 07/05/2019 17:42:38    2182345

Link

Replying To tribesman125:  "Surprised that molloy didn't see any minutes at all. Thought these would be the games to give him minutes and get him some championship football. Hopefully Sligo well see him play.

Could anyone at the game tell me how O laoi and Cunningham played? Be interested to hear how they adapted to championship ball."
O'Laoi scored a nice point and was prepared to fight for any ball that Flynn didn't get hold of. Didn't think Cunningham did anything special but wouldn't hold it against him either as he was in good company in that respect.

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 762 - 07/05/2019 20:42:58    2182369

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Agreed, the clamour to change the goalkeeper has been ongoing for 2 years now despite him keeping clean sheet after clean sheet last year in league and championship and his kickouts are generally speaking first class now. He was absolute cat against Roscommon in the connacht final two years ago as you say and made a big mistake V Tyrone this year in the league but otherwise has been consistently good to very good.

Nothing against Bernie Power, he is a very solid goalkeeper but people alluding to how many All Irelands he has won are really clutching at straws. Corofin ain't winning those all irelands because of who is between their sticks when opposition teams can't get anywhere near their goals because Corofin are night and day better than everyone all over the pitch at club level."
From your post, I can only assume you didn't see too much of corofin this year and certainly didn't tune in on paddy's day. To say their success had little to do with Power is amazing. In the connacht final, it was his brilliant 60 yard pass to Sice that set up the corofin goal when the game was up for grabs. Very few keepers in the game have that in their locker. That pass was the winning of the game.

In the all ireland final, his kickouts laid the foundation for the win. He set up numerous quick counter attacks with his pin point accuracy and vision from kickouts and general play. Molloy got man of the match. Power was a very close second for that award. The panel on the Sunday game gave him huge praise.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 07/05/2019 21:23:26    2182376

Link

Very one eyed post. Lavelle has held his place and likely deserves it but the facts are he has made errors. He missed several games for Salthill last year and came back and threw one in in Tuam. His kickouts are hit and miss and the reality is he doesn't tend to have to make piles of saves due to our mass defence policy.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 438 - 08/05/2019 00:02:51    2182397

Link

Replying To galway19:  "No harm to let the hype build in Mayo for the next few weeks. I think you'll see a much improved performance against Sligo and probably a few changes to the team as well. Paul Conroy didnt look far off coming back into the squad in London. I also imagine Kieran Molloy will start at 5 or get some minutes off the bench against Sligo with a view to starting the final, you can drop Silke back to corner back to replace Wynne. No need to have Molloy coming on in a game that was fairly safe in London, better to keep him under wraps for later in the year. Kevin Walsh is going to have a decision to make shortly when Cooke and Duggan get back (possibly in Sligo) as to whether Michael Daly should stay in midfield. He gets on plenty of ball in midfield and gets more space when he runs from deeper. He will probably revert back to the half forward line but if you pick him in midfield you can keep an extra forward in the team instead of Duggan. Just something to keep in mind with a view to the final."
No need for Molloy to come on? This is championship football. This isn't a challenge in LoughGeorge. Molloy might be a bit loose in his defending. He plays with his head up ready to attack so if there is anything to learn and tighten up defensively it is was in London. Sligo in 2 weeks will be another test. Time to work on things I don't think so. defensive tactics and slow play are part of Galway for the last number of years. During the league was the time to open up and play football and continue that into the Championship. A number of places up for graps especially around the middle.

Pullin.lambs1 (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 08/05/2019 07:11:01    2182406

Link