Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Heard a rumor that Farraghers turned down Kevin Walshs invitation into the galway panel"
Rumours... Mike played against Mayo in the Fbd two months ago.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 650 - 31/03/2019 07:58:08    2176561

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Rumours... Mike played against Mayo in the Fbd two months ago."
That was FBD galwayman2: he could very well have changed his mind since then.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 31/03/2019 12:54:16    2176602

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "I don't really like picking teams but I will say I don't think Galway/Kevin Walsh/most county teams pick three natural inside forwards. I'd be surprised if we saw Burke Comer and Cummins starting together."
I can't think of a better place to pick three natural forwards than the full forward line!!!
Would you not say Dublin/Kerry/Mayo play three natural forwards in the full forward line?

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 01/04/2019 09:02:24    2176870

Link

not sure mayo have 3 natural forwards in the county to be honest :)

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 01/04/2019 10:11:09    2176890

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Heard a rumor that Farraghers turned down Kevin Walshs invitation into the galway panel"
Martin Farragher was interviewed 2 weeks ago and was literally begging to be called up by Kevin Walsh and how it was his aim to be called in to the panel.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 01/04/2019 10:14:21    2176892

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Martin Farragher was interviewed 2 weeks ago and was literally begging to be called up by Kevin Walsh and how it was his aim to be called in to the panel."
Well he is hardly gonna give it out about the manager of Galway Kevin Walsh in a national newspaper. The reason I made this comment is because is that someone told me that Farraghers really want the win 3 in a row next year and want no distractions that's including being involved in the Galway panel this year

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 01/04/2019 11:22:18    2176920

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Well he is hardly gonna give it out about the manager of Galway Kevin Walsh in a national newspaper. The reason I made this comment is because is that someone told me that Farraghers really want the win 3 in a row next year and want no distractions that's including being involved in the Galway panel this year"
He could easily have said he wan't able to commit.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 01/04/2019 11:32:32    2176922

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "That was FBD galwayman2: he could very well have changed his mind since then."
Yes I realise it was the FBD but if a guy isn't going to commit to playing for Galway he is hardly going to bother togging for an FBD game surely.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 650 - 01/04/2019 11:54:00    2176929

Link

So naming a team for Championship so we name:
1) What team we think KW will put out?
2) What we personally think are the best 15 players in the county
or
3) 2) What we personally think are the best 15 players available (excluding retirements and injury) in the county

I'll have a go at 3:
1. Power (Lavelle a sound replacement)

2. Silke (Think we need him back here as he is a class man marker and we have more depth in half back line)
3. Seán Andy Ó C (Think he will come good in Championship and hopefully game Vs Tyrone will provide focus)
4. Kerin (getting a lot of abuse here, but we cried out for year to have a defender like this in the county - Kyne if fit and able replacement or start one and when they pick up a yellow or black card sub in the other one!)

5. Molloy (or Mc Daid if fit, based on who's going better in training)
6. Wall (Love to see him tried here over Bradshaw....Bradshaw an able replacement)
7. Heaney (Better here than in the half forwards)

Midfield (based on KWs tendency to pick 3 midfielders 8-10)
8. Flynn
9. Cooke
10. Duggan (Conroy the one unlucky to miss out here due to injury but think he could slot in or any 3 position if back fit and going better in training and any of the named 8-10)

11. Shane Walsh
12. Brannigan (need here for his pace and running engine. Sean Kelly unlucky to miss out but an able replacement at ~60mins)
13. M Daly

14. Cummins (based on league form, obviously when Comer come back from injury he will get the 14 jersey)
15. Ian Burke

Subs (excluding players mentioned as able replacements/injuries above)
- McHugh
- Antaine Ó Laoi
- F Ó Curraoin
- GOD
- J Daly

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 607 - 01/04/2019 12:28:47    2176945

Link

I do think he'll certainly play 3 midfielders should we play Mayo so that means Cooke, Duggan & Flynn. Wall & Molloy won't start together.

i agree Silke will start in the full back line and think Sean Kelly will be a cert to start, look at the way Kerry didn't track Mayo's runners yesterday. Sean Kelly does the hard yards, he won't switch off.

If as many of us expect Comer won't be fit for a Connacht Final then I'd expect Cummins to start.

Burke, Walsh & Daly will all start. I can see the 5th place been taken up by either Brannigan or McDaid given their pace. Brannigan in fairness always seems to play well against Mayo.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 01/04/2019 12:57:56    2176959

Link

Replying To JDF:  "I do think he'll certainly play 3 midfielders should we play Mayo so that means Cooke, Duggan & Flynn. Wall & Molloy won't start together.

i agree Silke will start in the full back line and think Sean Kelly will be a cert to start, look at the way Kerry didn't track Mayo's runners yesterday. Sean Kelly does the hard yards, he won't switch off.

If as many of us expect Comer won't be fit for a Connacht Final then I'd expect Cummins to start.

Burke, Walsh & Daly will all start. I can see the 5th place been taken up by either Brannigan or McDaid given their pace. Brannigan in fairness always seems to play well against Mayo."
What about Jason Leonard is well good enough to start for Galway better player then Brannigan, IMO and is well able to take a score which is something Brannigan lacks.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 01/04/2019 13:42:56    2176977

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "What about Jason Leonard is well good enough to start for Galway better player then Brannigan, IMO and is well able to take a score which is something Brannigan lacks."
I don't think he is but hopefully I'm proved wrong. i think McDaid is going to be a huge player for Galway and will ultimately take Brannigan's role. He is an athlete and a natural footballer, potential All Star material.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 01/04/2019 13:48:20    2176979

Link

Replying To JDF:  "I don't think he is but hopefully I'm proved wrong. i think McDaid is going to be a huge player for Galway and will ultimately take Brannigan's role. He is an athlete and a natural footballer, potential All Star material."
He's been injured for most of the year I don't think he is gonna force his way in at this stage and the games I saw him play in didn't really impress me still has much to do live up to the hype that everyone has around him.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 01/04/2019 14:59:04    2177001

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "What about Jason Leonard is well good enough to start for Galway better player then Brannigan, IMO and is well able to take a score which is something Brannigan lacks."
He was excellent for Corofin yesterday against Corofin as were Martin Farragher and Ronan Steede.(Of the 3 i still think Jason has the one most to offer at intercounty.)

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 01/04/2019 16:35:34    2177035

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "He's been injured for most of the year I don't think he is gonna force his way in at this stage and the games I saw him play in didn't really impress me still has much to do live up to the hype that everyone has around him."
He started great against Dublin kicking 0-2 early on before he got injured. Not bad going for a fella who had played very little gaelic football for a year. Agreed that the injury came at a bad time for him though as he needs games.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1670 - 01/04/2019 19:22:06    2177069

Link

Big win for Mayo yesterday which will add spice to the Connacht Championship.
I was in Croker the last time they won it in 2001.
Who remembers what happened later on that year.....

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 01/04/2019 19:23:00    2177071

Link

id like to be positive about galways championship
but the crap style of football is just killing our talented players
and im sure im not the only one whos fed up with it
theres no other way of saying it
we can make all the excuses we like
I cant see us improving unless we develop our gameplan
the second half v tyrone was so depressing to be honest
to see a galway team play like that after being 7 pts up at half time
from being a county that was admired all over for the way we played football
to where we now regarded a negative boring defensive team
I live in hope that kevin will let the players express themselves a bit this summer

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1067 - 01/04/2019 20:18:54    2177083

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "id like to be positive about galways championship
I live in hope that kevin will let the players express themselves a bit this summer"
This is an excellent post from 1985

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 01/04/2019 21:04:40    2177095

Link

We were "admired" for our style of play by Kerry pundits who liked how Galway played lovely football and then lost by 7 points to them.

Id like KW to throw the shackles off a bit but its not that long ago we were losing to wexford westmeath laois and antrim in championship and getting hammered by 15 pts by Mayo. I know what id rather

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 01/04/2019 21:12:58    2177098

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "id like to be positive about galways championship
I live in hope that kevin will let the players express themselves a bit this summer"
I genuinley believe Walsh doesn't think he has the defenders 2 play a more expansive game hence the defensive game we are playing. Before we started playing this system we were conceding heavy scores the last 2 years hence the Kerry and Tipp games in 17 and 16 for years in Galway we were playing great football and getting beat.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 01/04/2019 21:36:20    2177108

Link