Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Following in the lead of the hurling thread. A lot of places up for grabs after some lads had contrasting leagues performance wise. Basing my team on everyone being available. I've heard Damo might not be around untill later in the summer but for the sake of this thread im picking my preferred team with everyone available.

1. Lavelle
2. Silke
3. SA
4. Kerin
5. Molloy
6. J.Daly
7. Heaney
8. Flynn
9. Duggan
10. M.Daly
11. Walsh
12. Kelly
13. Burke
14. Comer
15. Cummins

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 26/03/2019 18:45:57    2175627

Link

Replying To tribesman125:  "Following in the lead of the hurling thread. A lot of places up for grabs after some lads had contrasting leagues performance wise. Basing my team on everyone being available. I've heard Damo might not be around untill later in the summer but for the sake of this thread im picking my preferred team with everyone available.

1. Lavelle
2. Silke
3. SA
4. Kerin
5. Molloy
6. J.Daly
7. Heaney
8. Flynn
9. Duggan
10. M.Daly
11. Walsh
12. Kelly
13. Burke
14. Comer
15. Cummins"
I don't really like picking teams but I will say I don't think Galway/Kevin Walsh/most county teams pick three natural inside forwards. I'd be surprised if we saw Burke Comer and Cummins starting together.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 443 - 26/03/2019 21:13:12    2175675

Link

I think its pointless picking teams on the basis of everyone being fit. Everyone is not fit.
What is likely is that we will be playing in Salthill in a Connacht Final against either Mayo or Ross. Win and we are in super 8s, lose and we have to win one game and get there. Not a bad position.
Conroy-Unlikely to be able for super 8s this year.
Comer-50/50, who decided travelling to Omagh on a bus after ankle surgery was a good idea.
Cooke-Where did he disappear to Sunday.
Kyne-No sign of him at any league game.
McDaid-Came home from Oz carrying injuries and has been injured again.
Kelly-Looks to be carrying a knock
M Daly-Only back and not fully fit.
J Daly-Has a poor injury record.
Brannigan-Just Back
Liam Silke-Between Corofin/UCD/Galway needs a break
Kieran Molloy-Beyween Corofin/NUIG/Galway needs a break.

Kevin Walsh has gone on record as saying his main priority is getting lads back and fit for summer.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 311 - 26/03/2019 22:31:58    2175708

Link

For me
1 power
2 kerin
3 SA
4Silke
5Molloy
6 daly
7 heaney
8 Flynn
9 Duggan
10 Daly
11Walsh
12 Heaney
13 cummins
14 Comer
15 Burke

Expect o laoi God Cooke brannigan to be the super subs.

GAL4DaDouble (Galway) - Posts: 76 - 27/03/2019 00:31:39    2175725

Link

Replying To GAL4DaDouble:  "For me
1 power
2 kerin
3 SA
4Silke
5Molloy
6 daly
7 heaney
8 Flynn
9 Duggan
10 Daly
11Walsh
12 Heaney
13 cummins
14 Comer
15 Burke

Expect o laoi God Cooke brannigan to be the super subs."
I know Johnny Heaney is a fit man but we surely don't have to play him in 2 positions ;) ;)

TribalThing (Galway) - Posts: 74 - 27/03/2019 08:37:56    2175740

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I think its pointless picking teams on the basis of everyone being fit. Everyone is not fit.
What is likely is that we will be playing in Salthill in a Connacht Final against either Mayo or Ross. Win and we are in super 8s, lose and we have to win one game and get there. Not a bad position.
Conroy-Unlikely to be able for super 8s this year.
Comer-50/50, who decided travelling to Omagh on a bus after ankle surgery was a good idea.
Cooke-Where did he disappear to Sunday.
Kyne-No sign of him at any league game.
McDaid-Came home from Oz carrying injuries and has been injured again.
Kelly-Looks to be carrying a knock
M Daly-Only back and not fully fit.
J Daly-Has a poor injury record.
Brannigan-Just Back
Liam Silke-Between Corofin/UCD/Galway needs a break
Kieran Molloy-Beyween Corofin/NUIG/Galway needs a break.

Kevin Walsh has gone on record as saying his main priority is getting lads back and fit for summer."
Conroy is expected to be on the bench or very close to it for London.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 646 - 27/03/2019 09:16:16    2175745

Link

Been saying it for a few years now, but surely Mayo will beat us one of these years!

Extraordinary to think that the Mayo domination (fail narrowly in 4 all-ireland finals) of Connacht only lasted 5 seasons, and Galway (with all our problems & puke football etc!!) are on a 4-in-row over Mayo, if we scalp them this summer. We might lose, now that we have a bit of a team!! Such is the lore of Galway versus Mayo.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 27/03/2019 11:33:17    2175776

Link

1.Power
2.Kerin
3.Kyne
4.Silke
5.Molloy
6.Daly
7.GOD
8.Flynn
9.Duggan
10.Brannigan
11.Daly
12.A O'Laoi
13.Burke
14.Walsh
15.Danny
Presuming all players will be fit. Inside 2 of Danny and Ian both are playing way too well to not start. Walsh to pull out and play his own game. Partnership of Duggan and Flynn at midfield going well. Cooke, Comer, Conroy, Sean Andy, Bradshaw, Sean Kelly, McDaid, Brannigan all great options to come off the bench. Comer doesnt offer enough from open play, alot of ball wasted just being thrown into him, is always gassed by the last 10/15 mins when we badly need him. Antaine O'Laoi has been a great find for galway, was outstanding in the intercounty junior championship last year. We have a very strong panel as of now, full back is a worry position for me tho.

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 27/03/2019 11:39:52    2175777

Link

Replying To whoop_hero:  "1.Power
2.Kerin
3.Kyne
4.Silke
5.Molloy
6.Daly
7.GOD
8.Flynn
9.Duggan
10.Brannigan
11.Daly
12.A O'Laoi
13.Burke
14.Walsh
15.Danny
Presuming all players will be fit. Inside 2 of Danny and Ian both are playing way too well to not start. Walsh to pull out and play his own game. Partnership of Duggan and Flynn at midfield going well. Cooke, Comer, Conroy, Sean Andy, Bradshaw, Sean Kelly, McDaid, Brannigan all great options to come off the bench. Comer doesnt offer enough from open play, alot of ball wasted just being thrown into him, is always gassed by the last 10/15 mins when we badly need him. Antaine O'Laoi has been a great find for galway, was outstanding in the intercounty junior championship last year. We have a very strong panel as of now, full back is a worry position for me tho."
One thing I know for certain in life. This wont be the 15.

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 27/03/2019 12:08:08    2175786

Link

Replying To whoop_hero:  "1.Power
2.Kerin
3.Kyne
4.Silke
5.Molloy
6.Daly
7.GOD
8.Flynn
9.Duggan
10.Brannigan
11.Daly
12.A O'Laoi
13.Burke
14.Walsh
15.Danny
Presuming all players will be fit. Inside 2 of Danny and Ian both are playing way too well to not start. Walsh to pull out and play his own game. Partnership of Duggan and Flynn at midfield going well. Cooke, Comer, Conroy, Sean Andy, Bradshaw, Sean Kelly, McDaid, Brannigan all great options to come off the bench. Comer doesnt offer enough from open play, alot of ball wasted just being thrown into him, is always gassed by the last 10/15 mins when we badly need him. Antaine O'Laoi has been a great find for galway, was outstanding in the intercounty junior championship last year. We have a very strong panel as of now, full back is a worry position for me tho."
Are there 2 Brannigans, or does Eamonn have the gift of bilocation? If he's capable of starting, and being a 'great option to come off the bench', maybe he'd be able to hurl for Galway as well! Was one of the better forwards we had on a fairly recent u21 hurling team, I recall, and MD must be on the lookout & the blower for some inform hurling forwards right now.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 27/03/2019 12:45:34    2175792

Link

I'll assume all fit for the purposes of this exercise. My Connacht Final team:

Lavelle - wouldn't be upset if it was Power either
Silke
Sean Andy - I know he has had a bad league but he is our best option and he is better than his current form
Kerin - Kyne wouldn't upset me either (i have no idea if they both play the same side or not!)
Molloy - we needs his energy and pace even though he is unproven at this level
Daly - looks good in the league
McDaid - this is my gamble. i haven't seen enough of him since he came back. he used to have the pace for it
Flynn - has to start
Duggan - consistency needed or Conroy could take his place
Heaney - very strong competition for this worker/half forward spot. Heaneys scoring ability swings it
Cooke
Daly - not guaranteed. does some super things but can be hit and miss. needs consistency
Burke
Comer
Walsh - what a player he is becoming

KW always plays a third midfielder hence i have Cooke in. there are a number of players of similiar level for h/f line Brannigan, Sean Kelly, heaney etc what u really want is one of them to be playing so well he elevates himself above the others rather than a much of a muchness situation. I haven't really seen much of Wall. Really think we need pace in H/B line. The half backs need to be a bigger threat.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1024 - 27/03/2019 16:52:20    2175851

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "I'll assume all fit for the purposes of this exercise. My Connacht Final team:

Lavelle - wouldn't be upset if it was Power either
Silke
Sean Andy - I know he has had a bad league but he is our best option and he is better than his current form
Kerin - Kyne wouldn't upset me either (i have no idea if they both play the same side or not!)
Molloy - we needs his energy and pace even though he is unproven at this level
Daly - looks good in the league
McDaid - this is my gamble. i haven't seen enough of him since he came back. he used to have the pace for it
Flynn - has to start
Duggan - consistency needed or Conroy could take his place
Heaney - very strong competition for this worker/half forward spot. Heaneys scoring ability swings it
Cooke
Daly - not guaranteed. does some super things but can be hit and miss. needs consistency
Burke
Comer
Walsh - what a player he is becoming

KW always plays a third midfielder hence i have Cooke in. there are a number of players of similiar level for h/f line Brannigan, Sean Kelly, heaney etc what u really want is one of them to be playing so well he elevates himself above the others rather than a much of a muchness situation. I haven't really seen much of Wall. Really think we need pace in H/B line. The half backs need to be a bigger threat."
Fully agree re half back line. We haven't have enough zip in the half back line and moving the ball from defence into attack has been this Galway teams biggest problem. No doubt we have the forwards at our disposal who can hurt teams.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 27/03/2019 18:47:29    2175879

Link

1. Power
2. Kerin
3. SAOC
4. L. Silke
5. Molloy
6. J. Daly
7. S. Kelly
8. Flynn
9. Duggan
10. Heaney
11. Daly
12. Walsh
13. Cummins
14. Comer (A. O'Laoi if Comer's setback rumours are true)
15. I. Burke

Unlucky to not be in: Antaine O'Laoi
Lucky to be there: Kerin and Duggan

No way in hell that K.W and Co won't be starting Bradshaw and GO'D though. I'd also prefer Liam Silke in the halfbacks but think we're stuck for a corner-back and he's the next best option.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 167 - 27/03/2019 21:36:05    2175907

Link

Lavelle
Kyne
SAOC
Silke
Molloy
Daly
Kelly
Flynn
Duggan
Mc Daid
Daly
Heaney
Burke
Shane
Danny

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 196 - 27/03/2019 22:46:48    2175925

Link

1.Power
2.Silke
3.Sean andy
4.Kerin
5. Heaney
6. Daly.
7. Molloy
8. Flynn.
9.Duggan
10.Mcdaid
11.m.daly
12.Cooke
13.I.Burke
14.Comer
15. Walsh
Feel Walsh will play with three midfielders as he has done in the past. Cant wrap my head around people leaving out comer even when hes back fit. He will have 2 on him most of the time freeing up burke walsh and co to do more damage then

jd6220 (Galway) - Posts: 39 - 29/03/2019 15:08:19    2176233

Link

I think when everyone back fit Michael Daly will be very lucky start he not got the pace for half forward line at all ,, I would consider Brannigan, Cooke , Walsh Heaney, Kelly , much better options ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 29/03/2019 16:25:41    2176248

Link

Replying To jd6220:  "1.Power
2.Silke
3.Sean andy
4.Kerin
5. Heaney
6. Daly.
7. Molloy
8. Flynn.
9.Duggan
10.Mcdaid
11.m.daly
12.Cooke
13.I.Burke
14.Comer
15. Walsh
Feel Walsh will play with three midfielders as he has done in the past. Cant wrap my head around people leaving out comer even when hes back fit. He will have 2 on him most of the time freeing up burke walsh and co to do more damage then"
Doubt Mcdaid will get will make the team since he hasn't played since the Dublin game and is still injured so I think we can only expect him to make the subs. This is the team I think Kevin Walsh will be hoping to field come championship.

1.R.Lavelle
2.L.Silke
3.S.O'Ceallaigh
4.E.Kerin
5.K.Molloy
6.J.Daly
7.S.Kelly
8.T.Flynn
9.C.Duggan
10.S.Walsh
11.Daly
12.J.Heaney
13.I.Burke
14.D.Comer
15.D.Cummins

positions up for grabs are 7, 9 and 15. Wall, Kelly and Bradshaw will be vying for the 7 jersey personally I would go for Wall but Walsh rates Kelly highly so I can see him starting. Duggan has the number 9 jersey unless Cooke can find form can't see Conroy getting back in like Mcdaid has been injured for too long. Cummins will get the 15 jersey based on his aerial ability for a small man and I think Walsh will use that come championship I prefer O'Laoi but think his lack of physicality might go against him. Leonard if involved with panel will be pushing hard for a starting spot and Johnny Heaney will be looking over his shoulder if his performance levels drop.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 29/03/2019 16:46:26    2176252

Link

power
silke
sean andy
wynne
kelly
j daly
molloy
flynn
cooke
heaney
walsh
michael daly
danny
comer
burke

thats the best we have i feel with conroy coming in for cooke when fully fit

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 554 - 29/03/2019 22:56:31    2176317

Link

There are only a few players in my opinion that should certainly start if healthy

Liam Silke, Johnny Heaney, Tom Flynn, Shane Walsh, Michael Daly, Damien Comer, Ian Burke.

Anyone else is interchangeable, but a lot of quality is there overall.

That being said I'd start

1. Lavelle
2. Silke
3. Séan Andy
4. Kerin
5. Heaney
6. J. Daly
7. Molloy
8. Flynn
9. Conroy (if fit)
10. Kelly
11. Walsh
12. M. Daly
13. Burke
14. Comer (if fit)
15. Cummins

Would have liked to seen more of McDaid and he could still be a big asset this year. Bradshaw will probably start for his experience in place of Kelly with Heaney moving to wing forward. Brannigan, Cooke, Duggan, O'Laoi, the Farraghers etc. is a pretty strong bench. Our backline is still the weaker area but Liam Silkes return and hopefully a breakout year from John Daly & Kieran Molloy might shore it up a little.

Koolsgang (Galway) - Posts: 15 - 30/03/2019 19:12:33    2176433

Link

Heard a rumor that Farraghers turned down Kevin Walshs invitation into the galway panel

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 30/03/2019 19:49:57    2176451

Link