Galway Forum

Football Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To WunderBar:  "Why are we being forced to Tuam stadium to watch games? Simply not fit for purpose. County Board should be using Athenry and Pearse Stadum only for the business end of the Championship. Nice Towns, Nice Facilities."
A quarter final between Mountbellew and Corofin in Salthill makes great sense.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 75 - 18/09/2019 17:07:58    2237237

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Why are we being forced to Tuam stadium to watch games? Simply not fit for purpose. County Board should be using Athenry and Pearse Stadum only for the business end of the Championship. Nice Towns, Nice Facilities."
How is it not fit for purpose?

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 18/09/2019 18:57:22    2237278

Link

You are obviously one of those who likes a 10min walk from the house. Tuam is been done up and is a class pitch as is Athenry and pierce stadium. I cant see ur problem. Isn't it great to have 3 fine pitches that can hold big crowds.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 245 - 18/09/2019 22:27:06    2237368

Link

The pitch at tuam might be very nice but ive been there three times in the last 2 months and struggled to see where the "development" people are so keen to talk about has been. The dressing rooms? Cos it sure isnt the stands or the surrounding area or parking facilities. A nightmare to get in and out of compared to Athenry. Dragging salthill claregalway and micheal breathneachs to Tuam is mad.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 18/09/2019 23:47:27    2237396

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "The pitch at tuam might be very nice but ive been there three times in the last 2 months and struggled to see where the "development" people are so keen to talk about has been. The dressing rooms? Cos it sure isnt the stands or the surrounding area or parking facilities. A nightmare to get in and out of compared to Athenry. Dragging salthill claregalway and micheal breathneachs to Tuam is mad."
I also have been there on several occasions in the past 2 months. The dressing rooms are open and top class. They are situated at the back of where new stand is been built so it's hard to see them. Now maybe is a case of not Been open for ever game. If I'm not mistaken didn't Michael breathneachs not play either cortoon or kilconly not sure which in pierce stadium lately. Didn't milltown play salthill in pierce stadium last year ( with some terrible officiating may I add). I don't think that's neutral ground. One thing I do agree is the development of Tuam is very very slow, but it will happen sooner or later. When it does it will be a class facility.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 245 - 19/09/2019 06:42:08    2237421

Link

Facilities are not good enough simple as. Pearse stadium is best but has so many games scheduled some games had to go tuam

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 103 - 19/09/2019 07:32:18    2237428

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Facilities are not good enough simple as. Pearse stadium is best but has so many games scheduled some games had to go tuam"
Pierce stadium is a class stadium but would be more suitable for rugby. Even on a fine summer day theres a gale blowing. Whether people like it or not Tuam stadium will be top class when finished. As I said its great to have the choice.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 245 - 19/09/2019 09:39:25    2237464

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Pierce stadium is a class stadium but would be more suitable for rugby. Even on a fine summer day theres a gale blowing. Whether people like it or not Tuam stadium will be top class when finished. As I said its great to have the choice."
Very true. Its a real pity about the wind. It is not suitable for hurling at all. I play about four games there a year and the wind has such an effect on the game. It did come up in a county board meeting earlier in the year that they are looking to installing a wind blocker the west side. I still don't think this would work!

dapoormansson (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 19/09/2019 12:24:04    2237517

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Pierce stadium is a class stadium but would be more suitable for rugby. Even on a fine summer day theres a gale blowing. Whether people like it or not Tuam stadium will be top class when finished. As I said its great to have the choice."
That's fine and good - when it is finished. And given the way our country is run, we will be waiting a long time. I was at the Galway U20 game v Mayo - Great atmosphere and support on the night but the car parking on the night was a total fiasco with cars thrown everywhere and it was a nightmare to get in and out of - a claim which has been thrown at Salthill before and probably correctly. Bringing six sets of fans to the current version of Tuam stadium for quarterfinals on a sunday afternoon is not in my opinion in the interest of travelling supporters. Corofin V M/M in Tuam - No problem with that, makes sense.

We've a massive county geographically distance wise. Not every ground needs to be county standard to host a quarter final or relegation game. Don't see what would be wrong with using Moycullen, Athenry etc for such games. Seems to be the county board decided the handiest thing from an organisational point of view was fire everyone into one stadium regardless of where the teams are from.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 19/09/2019 12:37:16    2237524

Link

Replying To dapoormansson:  "Very true. Its a real pity about the wind. It is not suitable for hurling at all. I play about four games there a year and the wind has such an effect on the game. It did come up in a county board meeting earlier in the year that they are looking to installing a wind blocker the west side. I still don't think this would work!"
Fully agree wind ruins games in Pearse. Always has, always will. Good luck getting planning for anything like that windbreaker though or getting a temporary one past health and safety. Must be just about the only county ground that can't put floodlights up though i suppose if i spent that much money on my house beside it i would't want them in my back garden either!

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 19/09/2019 12:39:34    2237525

Link

Replying To dapoormansson:  "Very true. Its a real pity about the wind. It is not suitable for hurling at all. I play about four games there a year and the wind has such an effect on the game. It did come up in a county board meeting earlier in the year that they are looking to installing a wind blocker the west side. I still don't think this would work!"
Surely you are not allowed play golf there off season.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 245 - 19/09/2019 12:59:36    2237531

Link

Moving away from the stadium talk
Predictions:
QF Tuam V Spiddal - Tuam (Tuam will have to much class for this Spiddal team)
MM vs Corofin - Corofin (It is what it is)
Moycullen vs Michaels - Moycullen (Moycullen have met tougher opposition this year)
Salthill vs Clarealway - Salthill (Hardest Game to call)

Relegation:
Killererin vs Caherlistrane - Killererin (this is the part of championship where they come alive)
James vs Barna - Barna ( Same as above, although this is less likely)
Cheathru rua va Leitir Mor - Ceathru rua ( I would be shocked if Leitir Mor don't go down)

I'd back the loser of Barna and James to stay up in the round robin.

Galwaywest19 (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 19/09/2019 17:19:42    2237626

Link

Wind blockers, get a grip. Crazy to think the weather might have an impact on fixtures in the west of Ireland.

Why don't we talk about the obvious bias there is in the scoring into the town end in Tuam stadium? Surely its far more significant factor than the wind? Parking Access Facilities for the paying spectators are a fiasco. This is the business end of the championship, it should be in Pearse stadium

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 19/09/2019 17:27:23    2237630

Link

Replying To Galwaywest19:  "Moving away from the stadium talk
Predictions:
QF Tuam V Spiddal - Tuam (Tuam will have to much class for this Spiddal team)
MM vs Corofin - Corofin (It is what it is)
Moycullen vs Michaels - Moycullen (Moycullen have met tougher opposition this year)
Salthill vs Clarealway - Salthill (Hardest Game to call)

Relegation:
Killererin vs Caherlistrane - Killererin (this is the part of championship where they come alive)
James vs Barna - Barna ( Same as above, although this is less likely)
Cheathru rua va Leitir Mor - Ceathru rua ( I would be shocked if Leitir Mor don't go down)

I'd back the loser of Barna and James to stay up in the round robin."
Agree with you right through except barna v james

Tuam v spiddal- Tuam with the expectation here, spiddal nothing to loose but Tuam will have too much

Moycullen v Micheal's- big loss with Cooke and Kelly, will Cooke be flying in for a visit? They have such a chance this year, Micheal's are only ok, depend on frees too much

Salthill v claregalway- most competitive of the draw I feel, salthill can be got at, hold sweeney and finnerty and their strong running from midfield and they can be had, claregalway could pip them so I'm going for them

Corofin v mm- always a lively hard contest, id love to see MM win but corofin are just too good, they haven't really needed to hit 3rd gear, will that go against them???

Barna v james- I fancy games here, barna only ok
Kill v ctrane- kill to win but should be a good game
Carraroe v letter- carraroe all day

Ctrane and letter for the drop, teams gone will need to focus in on next year, 3 teams go down and with 2 strong teams coming up, it could be a real shake up year for senior football, more so than this year

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 103 - 19/09/2019 17:33:58    2237631

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Wind blockers, get a grip. Crazy to think the weather might have an impact on fixtures in the west of Ireland.

Why don't we talk about the obvious bias there is in the scoring into the town end in Tuam stadium? Surely its far more significant factor than the wind? Parking Access Facilities for the paying spectators are a fiasco. This is the business end of the championship, it should be in Pearse stadium"
Facilities? A seat, a stand, new toilets, hot teas/ coffee.. all in Tuam. Parking in Pearse is so handy alright....

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 19/09/2019 18:08:57    2237640

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Wind blockers, get a grip. Crazy to think the weather might have an impact on fixtures in the west of Ireland.

Why don't we talk about the obvious bias there is in the scoring into the town end in Tuam stadium? Surely its far more significant factor than the wind? Parking Access Facilities for the paying spectators are a fiasco. This is the business end of the championship, it should be in Pearse stadium"
I've played in tuam many a time and the town goal bias is only a myth. There is more of a crowd there that is all.

dapoormansson (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 19/09/2019 19:09:28    2237652

Link

Replying To dapoormansson:  "I've played in tuam many a time and the town goal bias is only a myth. There is more of a crowd there that is all."
Where is all this parking ur on about in pierce stadium. If the nearby school decided to lock their gates there would be mayhem. There is parking spots alright but it's on double yellow lines.
I seem it happen several times outside pierce stadium cars getting tickets and in some cases been clamped. Plenty of parking in Athenry and Tuam within 10 and 12 minute walk.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 245 - 20/09/2019 09:14:50    2237753

Link

Replying To dapoormansson:  "I've played in tuam many a time and the town goal bias is only a myth. There is more of a crowd there that is all."
Well that is bull. Ireland has a prevailing wind. And that wind 90% of the time blows into the town goal. Every pitch in Ireland has a breeze that blows a certain way more commonly. But I'm sure you know that.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 444 - 20/09/2019 09:34:16    2237759

Link

I'll take a chance on....
Tuam Stars
Moycullen
Corofin
Salthill/Knocknacara, all to win Senior Football Quarter Finals.

katser (Galway) - Posts: 768 - 20/09/2019 20:20:37    2237916

Link

Replying To katser:  "I'll take a chance on....
Tuam Stars
Moycullen
Corofin
Salthill/Knocknacara, all to win Senior Football Quarter Finals."
You are a genius katser. A 1/2 shot and 4 x 1/4 shots. You didnt overly test the crystal ball for those predictions.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 64 - 20/09/2019 21:13:55    2237930

Link