Galway Forum

Football Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To anotheralias:  "Interesting call by the ref to ignore the shemozzle. Technically incorrect but maybe it might encourage less shemozzling if teams felt that they need to be conscious of the flow of the game. Having said that i do sympathise with killanin as it was a pivotal score.. but the better team won anyhow."
One team benefited from it and the other team was punished in what was a very important fixture for both. I do think fair play to the 2 MM players for playing on but for me it's not right that a ref would run past it when even his officials were making there way towards it

There was only 4 points in it and killanin were playing for a goal in the end. I would put MM as the better team but it doesnt excuse poor refereeing

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 985 - 25/08/2019 16:47:07    2229189

Link

Great to watch (as a neutral) Corofin and Claregalway today in Tuam. Two teams who set out to score points and goals and to attack! Played in great spirit as well. Galway football please copy!!!

Mayfair (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 25/08/2019 20:40:01    2229229

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Wasnt at the game myself but I did here about the pulling out of daly. Heard that heaney was also being pulled off the ball too and the ref let it go for the entire game. No protection for players

Also heard the mountbellew goal came from most players being distracted by the fact there was a fight in the middle of the pitch involving at least 6 players. Linesman made his way way and the umpire from behind the kilanin goal was half way obviously thinking the ref has to blow the whistle. only to have to run back because the ref ran past the players and two mountbellew lads played on. No kilanin man in their half of the pitch (fight was up the other side) only the keeper.

Imagine 6 + players involved and rolling on the ground and the ref runs past"
It was killianins own fault for conceding the goal because they started the fight , pulled some Mountbellew player to the ground , nearly pulled the shorts off him ! Themselves to blame , players leaving their position to get involved in a fight !
The ref was dead right to let the play go ! sure what if a team were straight through on goal and the other team decided to start a fight so the ref would stop play and therefore the other team lose out on a chance of scoring a goal ???

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 63 - 25/08/2019 20:56:51    2229231

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "It was killianins own fault for conceding the goal because they started the fight , pulled some Mountbellew player to the ground , nearly pulled the shorts off him ! Themselves to blame , players leaving their position to get involved in a fight !
The ref was dead right to let the play go ! sure what if a team were straight through on goal and the other team decided to start a fight so the ref would stop play and therefore the other team lose out on a chance of scoring a goal ???"
If a player is through on goal and he is fouled or a member of his team is fouled then ref should and usually does play advantage. This isnt what happened here so I dont see how its relevant?

The fight began when the ball was around the MM goal mouth which is why most of the players were at that end of the field. Not all players got involved. Let's not imply that all kilanin outfield players were involved in the fight.They like the officials thought the ref would stop play and considering a linesman and umpire were on the field the could have thought the play had been stopped. Only 2 MM players carried on and well done them. the ref didnt know who started it because he booked no one. You may very well be right that it was a kilanin player . The same ref didnt offer heaney or daly any protection for the entire game. That's 60+ mins of lads getting pulled and dragged with the ref allowing that.

You can argue that kilanin deserve what they got . I would consider MM a better team but regardless the referee is supposed to stop the game. They cant pick and choose what rules they are going to follow

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 985 - 25/08/2019 23:26:40    2229267

Link

What's the story with relegation this year? Is it bottom 3 in trouble or bottom 6 across the groups.

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 76 - 26/08/2019 13:05:13    2229388

Link

Replying To galwaygoal:  "What's the story with relegation this year? Is it bottom 3 in trouble or bottom 6 across the groups."
Galway Bay FM posted this on their social media platforms to show possible progression from the groups and relegation.

"Top 2 teams in each Group plus the third-placed team from the group containing the two seeded teams (Group 2) qualify for the Quarter Finals. The remaining quarter-final place goes to the 3rd placed team in either Group 1 or Group 3 depending on: (i) Greater number of points; (ii) Scoring difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from the total Scores For);(iii) Highest Total Score For;(iv) A Play-Off.

Quarter Finals - 3 Top Teams and the second team from Group 2 in one pot drawn against the second/third-placed teams in the other pot - open draw. Repeat fixtures to be avoided in the Quarter Finals. Quarter Finals to "Finish on the day"- in line with decision taken at Annual Congress - February 2019 Ard Comhairle to designate procedure.

Semi-Finals - Open Draw - Repeats allowed. Extra time in Semi-Finals (10mins x 2) if required - (Replays if required - Replays subject to "Finish on the day" - procedure as above)

Final - Replay in Final if required - no extra time - (Replay subject to "Finish on the day" - procedure as above)

Relegation to Intermediate: Two (2) teams to be relegated to Intermediate for 2020. Fifth-placed teams in each group play off against sixth-placed team in each group. Open draw - Avoid repeats."Finish on the day" - procedure as above. Three losers play off against each other as follows: Round 1: 1 v 2. Round 2: Loser of 1 v 2 plays 3. Round 3: Winner of 1 v 2 plays 3. Final position of teams in group to be determined in accordance with Rule 6.21 (4). The top team in the Group retains Senior Status for the following year. The two bottom teams in the Group are relegated to Intermediate for the following year"

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 30/08/2019 11:06:00    2230630

Link

I wonder is it time to review the head to head rule i.e. head to head before score difference. I understand the logic but it leads to a lot of dead rubbers ( or semi dead rubbers) in club championships and super 8s. For example both carraroe and caherlistrane have nothing to play for this weekend. They will finish 5th and 6th respectively regardless of scorelines. If it werre not for the head to head rule carraroe could potentiallt finish 4th 5th or 6th( at least mathematically) depending on results and caherlistrane could finish 5th or 6th. What makes it worse is that they both playing teams where the result and scoreline is significant.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 61 - 02/09/2019 19:19:32    2232053

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "I wonder is it time to review the head to head rule i.e. head to head before score difference. I understand the logic but it leads to a lot of dead rubbers ( or semi dead rubbers) in club championships and super 8s. For example both carraroe and caherlistrane have nothing to play for this weekend. They will finish 5th and 6th respectively regardless of scorelines. If it werre not for the head to head rule carraroe could potentiallt finish 4th 5th or 6th( at least mathematically) depending on results and caherlistrane could finish 5th or 6th. What makes it worse is that they both playing teams where the result and scoreline is significant."
You make a valid point but there should be a reward for beating an team and matching the same amount of points it always good to add drama to a championship. The dead rubbers will happen anytime with a group style format in reality with the way the teams get drawn to play against each other.

Have to say I would have been advocate for the 16 team format but the extra games in this 3 groups of 6 has made for some great contests and excellent games.

PineappleExpres (Galway) - Posts: 15 - 04/09/2019 00:56:39    2232608

Link

Big win for killanin, deserved the 1/4 finals but so is the system for now, Monivea looked tired. Spiddle through on scoring difference in their first year not bad, Micheal's still performing, still for the drop lettermore for sure with either c'strane or killererin, bookies might suspend betting on kill if they are in it, few pound to be made off the drop

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 95 - 07/09/2019 19:57:03    2233463

Link

Good win for michaels and Spiddal, both teams recovered well to reach quarters. Again Killanin very unlucky to lose out on points difference but can be happy with season.
Was in Tuam yesterday for two entertaining games. However I have to say the officiating in the first game was beyond a disgrace. Salthill man was clearly decked off the ball in second half blood streaming from his nose and ref and linesman did absolutely nothing despite seeing incident....
second game very exciting due to penalties.

futj (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 08/09/2019 01:25:49    2233498

Link

the officiating in the spiddal v barna match was also very poor. Spiddal showed tremendous character as they always do to win it in the last few minutes. Whats the story with antaine o laoi when will they have him back?

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 08/09/2019 10:19:39    2233512

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "the officiating in the spiddal v barna match was also very poor. Spiddal showed tremendous character as they always do to win it in the last few minutes. Whats the story with antaine o laoi when will they have him back?"
Officiating is an easy target but I and many I've spoken to feel it's been suspiciously poor this year, moycullen v mm and spiddle v salt hill jump to mind, just wondering what the set up is with regard officiating the officials? Do they get analysed? It's probably a case of not what you know but who.

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 95 - 08/09/2019 10:59:57    2233520

Link

SFC quarter-final draw

Corofin v Mountbellew-Moylough
Claregalway v Salthill Knocknacarra
An Spideal v Tuam Stars
St Michael's v Moycullen

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1661 - 08/09/2019 17:38:29    2233589

Link

Galway SFC relegation

Killererin v Caherlistrane
An Cheathru Rua v Leitir Moir
St James v Barna

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1661 - 08/09/2019 17:44:45    2233595

Link

Games of huge interest for me are:
Corofin v MM
Carraroe v Lmore
Salthill v cgalway

All derbies in the relegation battle it's great, in the 1/4's good draw for moycullen and Tuam I think

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 95 - 08/09/2019 17:59:17    2233598

Link

Corrofin, Tuam Stars, Final I hope..nothing else in it, Salthill not bad either I suppose. Nothing else there.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1621 - 08/09/2019 18:47:18    2233615

Link

Sorry I know this probably has been mentioned before but how does the relegation work with those 3 games?

galwayboy15 (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 08/09/2019 19:33:26    2233625

Link

Replying To futj:  "Good win for michaels and Spiddal, both teams recovered well to reach quarters. Again Killanin very unlucky to lose out on points difference but can be happy with season.
Was in Tuam yesterday for two entertaining games. However I have to say the officiating in the first game was beyond a disgrace. Salthill man was clearly decked off the ball in second half blood streaming from his nose and ref and linesman did absolutely nothing despite seeing incident....
second game very exciting due to penalties."
Who was reffing the Salthill match?

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 08/09/2019 20:19:31    2233643

Link

Replying To futj:  "Good win for michaels and Spiddal, both teams recovered well to reach quarters. Again Killanin very unlucky to lose out on points difference but can be happy with season.
second game very exciting due to penalties."
Who was reffing the Salthill match?

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 08/09/2019 20:19:39    2233644

Link

Replying To galwayboy15:  "Sorry I know this probably has been mentioned before but how does the relegation work with those 3 games?"
Look to the top of this page, about 10 post ago.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 08/09/2019 20:55:50    2233652

Link