Galway Forum

Football Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Annaghdown in trouble this year but will do enough to stay up, red card hurt them and the penalty point when you need take goal chances against the AI champs. Damo double marked at times.

Spiddeal another good win on the bounce didn't hear much of A O Laoi, well marshalled I'd imagine.

Killererin and milltown into relegation battle id imagine, both need to get something out of their remaining games

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 10/08/2019 10:23:56    2223295

Link

Annaghdown should have won and will be very disappointed today but their disipline was shocking with two unnecessary sending offs.They should have been 7 or 8 up at halftime. The poorest display from Corofin in a long time. Duggan a big loss for Annaghdown and it was noted most when Coleman ran out energy after a massive shift. Kerin was very good, Damo kicked one massive score but some of his shooting was questionable with pulled and sliced shots, thought Healy was excellent with restarts and long distance frees. Corofin missing, Silke, Wall, Farragher, Sice, McHugh, Bradys and Ian Burke who came on with 10 minutes to go. Corofin with a lot if improving to do if they are to win another title, but they continue to get the wins and never panic. Annaghdown have improved greatly since their games against Claregalway and the Stars.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 343 - 10/08/2019 10:58:24    2223306

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Annaghdown in trouble this year but will do enough to stay up, red card hurt them and the penalty point when you need take goal chances against the AI champs. Damo double marked at times.

Spiddeal another good win on the bounce didn't hear much of A O Laoi, well marshalled I'd imagine.

Killererin and milltown into relegation battle id imagine, both need to get something out of their remaining games"
Antaine Ó Laoi didn't play. He's out with a shoulder injury. A very good win considering he was missing. Two big games left against Barna and Salthill for An Spidéal.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 565 - 10/08/2019 11:33:22    2223320

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Annaghdown in trouble this year but will do enough to stay up, red card hurt them and the penalty point when you need take goal chances against the AI champs. Damo double marked at times.

Killererin and milltown into relegation battle id imagine, both need to get something out of their remaining games"
O'Laoi has his arm in a sling after surgery

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 304 - 10/08/2019 12:41:43    2223343

Link

Annaghdown should have won. Strange tactics at times from Corofin and didn't seem up for it or playing their own game. That could be down to annaghdown or the too me if year etc. You just cannot be missing penaltys at club or county level.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 304 - 10/08/2019 12:44:05    2223345

Link

Don't agree with claims that Annaghdown should have won to be honest, they didn't take their chances, their discipline was shocking and once Corofin went ahead they were able to keep in front, they were 6 up at one stage in the second half. Daithi Burke and Jason Leonard were very good for Corofin as was Gavin Burke. Comer showed flashes of what he's capable of but was well marshalled in the second half when Corofin had the extra man.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 75 - 10/08/2019 16:07:25    2223409

Link

Salthill had a good win over Michaels in appalling conditions in Pearse. The two 17 yr old forwards Cathal Sweeney and Eoghan Tinney as sub were real standouts and are clearly huge prospects. Michaels were missing Keith Ward and Only had Eamon Branigan for the last 15 mins coming back from injury.

Milltown beat Barna in the same group which makes it extremely tight between those sides and An Spidéal with Killerein out of it.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 10/08/2019 16:10:52    2223410

Link

Dreadful conditions in pearse stadium today and to make matters worse the refereeing display in the the first two matches was dreadful , especially the Moycullen and Mtbellew game !
I don't think I've seen softer frees given before , it was such a stop / start game !
Mtbellew got a red card that was very very harsh !
I say Moycullen got most scores from very soft frees , you couldn't lay a hand on anyone ! Moycullen were through and goal and got pulled back for a free !
Worst refereeing I have seen in a long long time!
All the efforts players put in , the least that could be done is have the game refereed fairly

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 63 - 10/08/2019 19:06:31    2223500

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Dreadful conditions in pearse stadium today and to make matters worse the refereeing display in the the first two matches was dreadful , especially the Moycullen and Mtbellew game !
I don't think I've seen softer frees given before , it was such a stop / start game !
I say Moycullen got most scores from very soft frees , you couldn't lay a hand on anyone ! Moycullen were through and goal and got pulled back for a free !
All the efforts players put in , the least that could be done is have the game refereed fairly"
At one stage he gave a free out for dessie conneely "overcarrying" on edge of square with 2 lads pulling him then when the crowd went mad he quickly saw enough messing and called a hop ball then from the hop ball gave a free in

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 261 - 10/08/2019 19:18:10    2223517

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "At one stage he gave a free out for dessie conneely "overcarrying" on edge of square with 2 lads pulling him then when the crowd went mad he quickly saw enough messing and called a hop ball then from the hop ball gave a free in"
Yeah I seen that ! He bottled a few decisions !
Moycullens first 2 points were from frees and the players were hardly touched ?
The red card for Mtbellew , the player broke the ball? Looked like a fair hard challenge

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 63 - 10/08/2019 19:59:58    2223566

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Yeah I seen that ! He bottled a few decisions !
The red card for Mtbellew , the player broke the ball? Looked like a fair hard challenge"
Agree about referee decisions shocking. The red card for mountbellow was a disgraceful decision. I was also in Tuam for milltown and killererin game and kilconly v oranmore a few weeks back. The officiating was dreadful for both games. The first game kilconly v oranmore there was 2min of injury time called. Kilconly were 1 point up. On 4 MINUTE of injury time a kilconly player let the ball out over the line as it came off an oranmore player. But guess what the linesman called it an oranmore ball. Oranmore got a draw. The second game killererin was approx 7 points up going into injury time and guess what the referee played 9 MINUTES of injury time for Milltown to come back and draw. This type of officiating is pushing the younger lads from playing gaa. Something needs to be done about this

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 10/08/2019 21:49:48    2223681

Link

The time of tackling at club level is gone, % wise teams are better off conceding possession, ref standards here are gone, hand in foul, shoulder ok foul, Francis belles, Kieran mcgeaney be heartbroken

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 11/08/2019 04:59:15    2223772

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Yeah I seen that ! He bottled a few decisions !
The red card for Mtbellew , the player broke the ball? Looked like a fair hard challenge"
Agree about referee decisions shocking. The red card for mountbellow was a disgraceful decision. I was also in Tuam for milltown and killererin game and kilconly v oranmore a few weeks back. The officiating was dreadful for both games. The first game kilconly v oranmore there was 2min of injury time called. Kilconly were 1 point up. On 4 MINUTE of injury time a kilconly player let the ball out over the line as it came off an oranmore player. But guess what the linesman called it an oranmore ball. Oranmore got a draw. The second game killererin was approx 7 points up going into injury time and guess what the referee played 9 MINUTES of injury time for Milltown to come back and draw. This type of officiating is pushing the younger lads from playing gaa. Something needs to be done about this

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 11/08/2019 05:24:00    2223775

Link

Many of last years minor impressing in the championship?

I know Cathal Sweeney did well for Salthill last weekend.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 16/08/2019 13:34:13    2226397

Link

Yes sweeney with the standout performance champs to date imo last weekend albeit against a surprisingly poor Micheal's display, strong direct running, a real handful, himself and finnerty are big players this year, they'll beat spiddeal handy this weekend, spiddeal should have bet an intermediate killererin by way more, Antoine a big loss for them at a very important time of the year. Groups 1&3 are very tight when I had group 2 down at the start- annaghdown poor showing has created that gap. Certainties for relegation battle are leitir mór, caherlistrane, killererin, joining them will be annaghdown or James spiddeal (won't win remaining games) and carraroe,
leitir and kill for the drop
2 of aran, kilconly oranmore or headford for the up.
Next year will be mayhem

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 16/08/2019 16:52:08    2226495

Link

Williamstown for the drop?

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 236 - 17/08/2019 23:36:17    2226880

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Dreadful conditions in pearse stadium today and to make matters worse the refereeing display in the the first two matches was dreadful , especially the Moycullen and Mtbellew game !
All the efforts players put in , the least that could be done is have the game refereed fairly"
Who was the ref?

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 18/08/2019 09:31:19    2226915

Link

Claregalway have put themselves in with a good shout of getting the coveted 3rd place spot in Group 2. However i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that St.James were robbed. 1 perfectly good goal disallowed for a push that didn't happen, and another for an off the ground that might have been more justifed but I've seen them givin before. Poor quality match but highly entertaining.

JohnJohnC (Mayo) - Posts: 14 - 19/08/2019 08:08:16    2227332

Link

Replying To JohnJohnC:  "Claregalway have put themselves in with a good shout of getting the coveted 3rd place spot in Group 2. However i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that St.James were robbed. 1 perfectly good goal disallowed for a push that didn't happen, and another for an off the ground that might have been more justifed but I've seen them givin before. Poor quality match but highly entertaining."
Clear fouls in the build up in both instances, the only controversial disallowed goal was 1 in the first half from Cummins.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 232 - 19/08/2019 09:41:04    2227369

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Clear fouls in the build up in both instances, the only controversial disallowed goal was 1 in the first half from Cummins."
Square Ball all day long.

JohnJohnC (Mayo) - Posts: 14 - 19/08/2019 10:08:18    2227382

Link