Galway Forum

Football Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Something was wrong from the start when last years management who got us to within one score of a quarter final were disbanded and the manager job was given to a man who was sick in hospital! Then a couple of months later that position was taken off him and given to a well known member of the Joyce family.
Players told the club would give them free usage of the clubs gym, only to be told weeks after they needed to pay €140 for it. Door was then locked with a code to keep out members of the team who wouldn't pay.
Half the team went to the all Ireland 7's and went on the sauce on the way home while the rest of us were told we were on a drinking ban.
I love this club with all my heart but it's no wonder really that we went down. Too much wrong from the start

Eartotheground96 (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 29/10/2019 15:30:58 22

Eartotheground96 (Galway) - Posts: 1 - You are a really bad Person Club Member Player going by your post running down your beloved club like this.. Disgraceful Post.. I honestly think that your beloved club would be better off without the likes of you in the Club. Especially if you are a member or worse again a player !!
Maybe you should take a good look in the mirror and see what you think of yourself and what you did for your beloved club to help out all year...sounds to me like someone who did not play well or Jealousy got the better of you...
Im sure the Management and Players wont lose too much sleep over your comments...

smokeygaa (Galway) - Posts: 420 - 30/10/2019 22:20:38    2246685

Link

Replying To Toman:  "In my opinion the day people start saying smaller clubs have no place in senior is the end of club football. So are all those clubs like Milltown. Kilconly, Cotoon, killererin, Breanachs, Spiddal, Caherlistrane etc and I even include Tuam... are they all wasting their time putting into uage. So are those smaller clubs as you call them just going to shut up shop and go to watch the Corofin , Salthill and Claregalways. I don't think so. I think you need a huge reality check there. The beauty of clubs putting into their uage is to be able to see those uage lads grow into good footballers be it senior, intermediate junior or even County. For example look at Caltra and Kilconly minors this year what they have achieved. Both winners in north board A and B respectively. I was at those games, brilliant to watch. Then you have Ouchterard winners of minor Country B and went on to represent Galway in Connaught. Not bad for so called small clubs. You also have the likes of Dunmore and Monivea who are very very strong at uage. But sure the way ur talking they are all wasting their time. Where were all the so called bigger clubs when the likes of Killererin and Caltra won Frank Fox. Were the so called smaller clubs going around saying everyone else were wasting their time. What an idiotic Post."
It's not a question of the championship being better or worse without small clubs, it is the fact that most rural small clubs will not be able to field adult teams in the normal run of events. There will be the odd exception, where a very talented group come along together, such as Mullinalaghta of Longford last year. Yes, Kilconly/Caltra had a great year at minor, but will struggle and are unlikely to be able to field a minor team next year. Killererin have had little or no success at under age over the past 20 years, yet managed 4 county titles. Rural Ireland is in decline. Most of the players from any small club up to 10 years ago came from families of 5 or 6 or more. The main school, Barnaderg NS, which Killererin draw players from had only 1 boy in 6th class in 2009, there were 11 boys in PJs class 20 years earlier. Killererin and clubs of similar size have to amalgamate as soon as possible if they are to have players taking part in senior football again. Where an exceptional player does come along in a small club he will be coaxed away to the city (where he might win something) as we have seen happen already a few times. Just as Dublin are dominating intercountry, 1 or 2 big clubs will dominate club football in every county.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 974 - 31/10/2019 09:33:29    2246716

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "It's not a question of the championship being better or worse without small clubs, it is the fact that most rural small clubs will not be able to field adult teams in the normal run of events. There will be the odd exception, where a very talented group come along together, such as Mullinalaghta of Longford last year. Yes, Kilconly/Caltra had a great year at minor, but will struggle and are unlikely to be able to field a minor team next year. Killererin have had little or no success at under age over the past 20 years, yet managed 4 county titles. Rural Ireland is in decline. Most of the players from any small club up to 10 years ago came from families of 5 or 6 or more. The main school, Barnaderg NS, which Killererin draw players from had only 1 boy in 6th class in 2009, there were 11 boys in PJs class 20 years earlier. Killererin and clubs of similar size have to amalgamate as soon as possible if they are to have players taking part in senior football again. Where an exceptional player does come along in a small club he will be coaxed away to the city (where he might win something) as we have seen happen already a few times. Just as Dublin are dominating intercountry, 1 or 2 big clubs will dominate club football in every county."
While you make some valid points, I don't see the doomsday scenario you're outlining. The increase in population in areas within 20 miles of Galway, means there will be a lot more than 1 or 2 clubs with healthy numbers. I'm not sure how you see it being limited to 1 or 2. There will be a struggle for the most rural clubs further from Galway and we will need some amalgamations, I'm sure.
However, Galway football has almost always been dominated by clubs from the larger towns. A look at the roll of honour will show that.
There is also a factor that more and more people will be working remotely in future. This gives people the option of living outside of large population centres and staying in their communities. The effects of this are starting to be seen in some places.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 597 - 31/10/2019 09:58:52    2246723

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "It's not a question of the championship being better or worse without small clubs, it is the fact that most rural small clubs will not be able to field adult teams in the normal run of events. There will be the odd exception, where a very talented group come along together, such as Mullinalaghta of Longford last year. Yes, Kilconly/Caltra had a great year at minor, but will struggle and are unlikely to be able to field a minor team next year. Killererin have had little or no success at under age over the past 20 years, yet managed 4 county titles. Rural Ireland is in decline. Most of the players from any small club up to 10 years ago came from families of 5 or 6 or more. The main school, Barnaderg NS, which Killererin draw players from had only 1 boy in 6th class in 2009, there were 11 boys in PJs class 20 years earlier. Killererin and clubs of similar size have to amalgamate as soon as possible if they are to have players taking part in senior football again. Where an exceptional player does come along in a small club he will be coaxed away to the city (where he might win something) as we have seen happen already a few times. Just as Dublin are dominating intercountry, 1 or 2 big clubs will dominate club football in every county."
I can definitely see where you are coming from. But until that happens that the likes of Called and kilconly as u mention are not able to field then they join up. Both teams u mention did well at u16 this year so Why shouldn't they be able to field minor need year. So too did cortoon do well at uage. I'm sure all those clubs don't need me or you to tell them when they are able to field at u16, minor or intermediate or what ever grade they are in. There is no point in trying to close down a part of rural Ireland umt it happens.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 248 - 31/10/2019 10:31:26    2246735

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "While you make some valid points, I don't see the doomsday scenario you're outlining. The increase in population in areas within 20 miles of Galway, means there will be a lot more than 1 or 2 clubs with healthy numbers. I'm not sure how you see it being limited to 1 or 2. There will be a struggle for the most rural clubs further from Galway and we will need some amalgamations, I'm sure.
However, Galway football has almost always been dominated by clubs from the larger towns. A look at the roll of honour will show that.
There is also a factor that more and more people will be working remotely in future. This gives people the option of living outside of large population centres and staying in their communities. The effects of this are starting to be seen in some places."
Agree - with the new road networks, parishes like Kilconly, Milltown and Killererin will soon become very viable - cost wise, for young families to set up home.. These parishes also have fabulous natural amenities, excellent trout/salmon fishing and gaming.. Can't beat it..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 352 - 31/10/2019 11:54:07    2246764

Link

No amalgamation is not necessary. Killererin can play 11 or 9 a side at underage if facilitated. At least then all of your players are playing games. Joining up with the neighbours will mean only the better players stick at it.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 888 - 31/10/2019 12:15:24    2246770

Link

Replying To Really:  "Agree - with the new road networks, parishes like Kilconly, Milltown and Killererin will soon become very viable - cost wise, for young families to set up home.. These parishes also have fabulous natural amenities, excellent trout/salmon fishing and gaming.. Can't beat it.."
Way healthier lifestyle than living in car pollution towns and city's. You get get too many trout in those places

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 248 - 31/10/2019 13:06:41    2246782

Link

Kilconly and Caltra contested the U16 Division 2 County Final last year. Two great teams. Kilconly won Minor B North Board this year with Caltra winning Minor A North Board. Not only will they both be fielding at minor next year they'll both probably be in A. Along with this, Kilconly were in U16 Division one this year competing with all the top clubs in Galway. So where you're getting the notion they'll be "unlikely to be able to field" teams next year I don't know. Do a bit of research before coming on here making idiotic comments like this about small clubs who've a huge passion for the game.

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 31/10/2019 13:16:00    2246787

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "No amalgamation is not necessary. Killererin can play 11 or 9 a side at underage if facilitated. At least then all of your players are playing games. Joining up with the neighbours will mean only the better players stick at it."
In fairness you are living up to the start of ur name there..low. Killererin may have joined up in minor but for someone to try to have a laugh at this is very low. The likes of those parishes put as much as everyone into uage, more at times. As far as everyone getting a game is concerned I know a couple of the big clubs where only the elite are getting game time, so that works both ways.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 248 - 31/10/2019 13:41:07    2246793

Link

Replying To Donaldtrump:  "Kilconly and Caltra contested the U16 Division 2 County Final last year. Two great teams. Kilconly won Minor B North Board this year with Caltra winning Minor A North Board. Not only will they both be fielding at minor next year they'll both probably be in A. Along with this, Kilconly were in U16 Division one this year competing with all the top clubs in Galway. So where you're getting the notion they'll be "unlikely to be able to field" teams next year I don't know. Do a bit of research before coming on here making idiotic comments like this about small clubs who've a huge passion for the game."
Ur Post is on the money. Didn't know kilconly and Caltra contested u16 b last year. So what is giveitlong saying, they won't be able to contest minor. Are lads immigrating now at 16 years. . What's more lads at those clubs are in a way way better position of getting game time than bigger clubs.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 248 - 31/10/2019 14:53:24    2246817

Link

So the replay on Sunday then......

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 31/10/2019 16:43:12    2246847

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "So the replay on Sunday then......"
Prediction...? Have Tuam missed their chance? I think they will pip Corofin :)

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 01/11/2019 09:16:26    2246935

Link

Replying To Tiddlywinks77:  "Prediction...? Have Tuam missed their chance? I think they will pip Corofin :)"
Hope I'm wrong but I think Tuam have missed their chance. On saying that Tuam left a lot of scores after them 2 weeks ago. Whoever wins I don't think we will see quality football like the last day. Its promised wet conditions and gaa must be worried about pitch when they moved junior final to Athenry.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 248 - 01/11/2019 10:09:53    2246947

Link

I could see this game getting called off. Many pitches unplayable today

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1040 - 02/11/2019 12:01:32    2247209

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I could see this game getting called off. Many pitches unplayable today"
Can't be called off, the winners are due to play the Connacht semi final next Sunday, could see it being moved to Athenry or Pearse alright, depends how it held up for the Glenamaddy junior game today.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 02/11/2019 15:48:11    2247237

Link

Replying To Really:  "Agree - with the new road networks, parishes like Kilconly, Milltown and Killererin will soon become very viable - cost wise, for young families to set up home.. These parishes also have fabulous natural amenities, excellent trout/salmon fishing and gaming.. Can't beat it.."
What new road network? The Galway to Tuam road is still a carpark every morning and evening. The motorway that starts at Tuam is not used by people working in Galway. The road should have been located 4 or 5 miles west of where it is and then it would take traffic from both the Tuam road and the Headford road. It is good for Kerry or Donegal or Mayo supporters on their travels north or south and thats about it. Other than that its a disaster and another white elephant.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 02/11/2019 20:46:28    2247294

Link

Replying To crafty:  "What new road network? The Galway to Tuam road is still a carpark every morning and evening. The motorway that starts at Tuam is not used by people working in Galway. The road should have been located 4 or 5 miles west of where it is and then it would take traffic from both the Tuam road and the Headford road. It is good for Kerry or Donegal or Mayo supporters on their travels north or south and thats about it. Other than that its a disaster and another white elephant."
Do you know crafty you should have been in the future planning of any new road development. 4 or 5 miles west of where it is what a load of nonsense. See how easy it is for the likes of Roscommon or Kildare and several other countries to get to Tuam pitch now. This is a Galway championship forum not a survey of who travels to work in Galway

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 248 - 02/11/2019 22:16:14    2247311

Link

Replying To crafty:  "What new road network? The Galway to Tuam road is still a carpark every morning and evening. The motorway that starts at Tuam is not used by people working in Galway. The road should have been located 4 or 5 miles west of where it is and then it would take traffic from both the Tuam road and the Headford road. It is good for Kerry or Donegal or Mayo supporters on their travels north or south and thats about it. Other than that its a disaster and another white elephant."
It's all about getting a properly integrated transport system together...

http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-2/public-consultation-no-3/#nogo

Really (Galway) - Posts: 352 - 03/11/2019 03:11:20    2247329

Link

Replying To GalwayLurker:  "Can't be called off, the winners are due to play the Connacht semi final next Sunday, could see it being moved to Athenry or Pearse alright, depends how it held up for the Glenamaddy junior game today."
It won't be in pearse sure they called off the football there yesterday and it was playable but there was a drop off rain and a hurling match to be played x2 nest Sunday. #saveitforthehurling

nohandpass (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 03/11/2019 08:30:52    2247334

Link

We got over the line by the skin of our teeth. Tough luck to Tuam. Definitely a championship in them. Maybe next year.

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 03/11/2019 15:51:13    2247412

Link