Galway Forum

Football Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Killererin relegated to intermediate after the weekend, very little surprise given what's gone on during the year

NOHOPE77 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 29/10/2019 09:03:58    2246400

Link

Replying To NOHOPE77:  "Killererin relegated to intermediate after the weekend, very little surprise given what's gone on during the year"
This was coming for a few years. After 51 Years at least they have had a few big days, 2 Connacht titles and 6 County. The days of the small rural football or hurling club are well and truly numbered. I expect the bookies to make the 2 teams who dropped from senior this year, favs to go junior next year, if 2 teams are going to go down. When Killererin won the county in 1999 they had 4 sets of brothers playing, 20 years later minors and U20s are amalgamated, and the seniors can just about field a team. St Thomas and Portumna (recent all ireland winners) are all heading the same way. In football Milltown, who I think are longer in senior than any other club are really going to struggle to survive much longer. In north Galway only Corofin, Tuam, Mountbellew and possibly Monevia/Abbey have hope of remaining senior for the next 10 years. Family sizes have dropped by around 75 percent and will drop more. Never again will we see the likes of Caltra or St Thomas, win an All-Ireland with 5 or 6 brothers on the team. Hard to know what effect if any this trend will have on the county team.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 974 - 29/10/2019 10:24:07    2246422

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "This was coming for a few years. After 51 Years at least they have had a few big days, 2 Connacht titles and 6 County. The days of the small rural football or hurling club are well and truly numbered. I expect the bookies to make the 2 teams who dropped from senior this year, favs to go junior next year, if 2 teams are going to go down. When Killererin won the county in 1999 they had 4 sets of brothers playing, 20 years later minors and U20s are amalgamated, and the seniors can just about field a team. St Thomas and Portumna (recent all ireland winners) are all heading the same way. In football Milltown, who I think are longer in senior than any other club are really going to struggle to survive much longer. In north Galway only Corofin, Tuam, Mountbellew and possibly Monevia/Abbey have hope of remaining senior for the next 10 years. Family sizes have dropped by around 75 percent and will drop more. Never again will we see the likes of Caltra or St Thomas, win an All-Ireland with 5 or 6 brothers on the team. Hard to know what effect if any this trend will have on the county team."
Fair play to you kicking a club when they are down.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 888 - 29/10/2019 11:41:29    2246444

Link

If any of the rumors coming out of the club are true then it's got very little to do with the drop in numbers

NOHOPE77 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 29/10/2019 12:07:51    2246450

Link

Manager appointed then taken away after 2 months
Not allowed access to the gym in clubhouse
Half the team on the beer before the St michaels game at the 7's
What did they expect

NOHOPE77 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 29/10/2019 13:16:24    2246463

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Fair play to you kicking a club when they are down."
Unfortunately it is inevitable that this will happen due to demographic movements. I don't know if this was the reason in this particular case however it is a very big challenge facing the gaa.

One of the biggest strengths of the organisation is club loyalty and rivalries. However amalgamations are the likely solution to keep football alive in areas and club loyalty and rivalries in this case become the biggest weakness.

There is no perfect solution.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 29/10/2019 13:23:20    2246465

Link

Replying To lowballplease:  "Fair play to you kicking a club when they are down."
Kicking a club, absolutely not, they have been shining light in what they have achieved as one of the smallest clubs in the county. Do not know about manager issues, but 95% of the clubs problems on the pitch are due to lack of numbers. St Micheal's beat them by 15 points, and they did not have 1 sub to introduce in the game. The players in all these small clubs deserve great credit for the efforts they make. Look at Caherlistrane for example. In reality they have no hope whatever of winning the fox cup, you have to go back 130 years since they won a senior title, yet they give it 100% every year. Killererin the same. Hope of "bouncing back" has to be based reality and the reality is that most likely the last 2 or 3 remaining players, Kelly, Flynn and Reddington, who have county medals will hang up the boots now. There are no players coming through at under age who look like being up to intermediate football.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 974 - 29/10/2019 14:46:42    2246483

Link

Replying To Eartotheground96:  "Something was wrong from the start when last years management who got us to within one score of a quarter final were disbanded and the manager job was given to a man who was sick in hospital! Then a couple of months later that position was taken off him and given to a well known member of the Joyce family.
Players told the club would give them free usage of the clubs gym, only to be told weeks after they needed to pay €140 for it. Door was then locked with a code to keep out members of the team who wouldn't pay.
Half the team went to the all Ireland 7's and went on the sauce on the way home while the rest of us were told we were on a drinking ban.
I love this club with all my heart but it's no wonder really that we went down. Too much wrong from the start"
That's a tough pill to swallow. I wish you the best next year. I hope players are given the respect they deserve and that ye are at least competitive at intermediate

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1040 - 29/10/2019 17:40:20    2246501

Link

any truth to the rumor that three teams will be relegated from senior in 2020 and only one promoted ? meaning in 2021 there will be sixteen seniors clubs like it was in the 90's

devrandom (Galway) - Posts: 39 - 29/10/2019 17:49:24    2246502

Link

Replying To devrandom:  "any truth to the rumor that three teams will be relegated from senior in 2020 and only one promoted ? meaning in 2021 there will be sixteen seniors clubs like it was in the 90's"
This is true from what I've heard... they want a 16 team championship

John789 (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 29/10/2019 18:59:22    2246513

Link

I would like to see it go to 16 teams only with 2 down every year and then 2 up. That should keep it interesting.
Hard Luck to the lads from Barnadearg.

ref (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 29/10/2019 19:38:23    2246517

Link

Replying To ref:  "I would like to see it go to 16 teams only with 2 down every year and then 2 up. That should keep it interesting.
Hard Luck to the lads from Barnadearg."
I don't mind the system they have this year. But I think spiddal should've had to play kilanin for the final q/f spot. Yes it would mean a quick turn around between that game and the q/f but as the team who finished 3rd in their group they'd have no complaints and would be thankful to be there.

I do want to keep the 2 up 2 down system in place . Hard luck to kilrerin but breathnachs and oughterard are miles ahead of them

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1040 - 29/10/2019 19:53:42    2246518

Link

Caherlistrane are not a small club by any means. They have three adult teams. Their parish is huge and numbers are not an issue for them.

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 718 - 29/10/2019 20:16:39    2246522

Link

Bring it on a 16 team c'ship. Still to many teams who have no business in the senior ranks. Kilconly Barna carroroe carlstrande caltra menlough.

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 29/10/2019 20:30:31    2246526

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Bring it on a 16 team c'ship. Still to many teams who have no business in the senior ranks. Kilconly Barna carroroe carlstrande caltra menlough."
Your knowledge of who's in senior ranks seems a bit misplaced. Kilconly, Caltra or Menlough are not in senior ranks for some time. Caherlistrane as its spelt not calstrande is a very big club and deserves its senior status. The way ur talking all u want in senior is Corofin, Tuam. Mountbellow, Salthill, Claregalway and maybe 1 or two from west. This would soon see an end to club football completely.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 29/10/2019 22:03:02    2246542

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "Kicking a club, absolutely not, they have been shining light in what they have achieved as one of the smallest clubs in the county. Do not know about manager issues, but 95% of the clubs problems on the pitch are due to lack of numbers. St Micheal's beat them by 15 points, and they did not have 1 sub to introduce in the game. The players in all these small clubs deserve great credit for the efforts they make. Look at Caherlistrane for example. In reality they have no hope whatever of winning the fox cup, you have to go back 130 years since they won a senior title, yet they give it 100% every year. Killererin the same. Hope of "bouncing back" has to be based reality and the reality is that most likely the last 2 or 3 remaining players, Kelly, Flynn and Reddington, who have county medals will hang up the boots now. There are no players coming through at under age who look like being up to intermediate football."
For a start using Caherlistrane as an example of a small club is well wide of the mark.
One of the largest parishes in Galway with a huge population.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 650 - 30/10/2019 08:59:14    2246577

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "I don't mind the system they have this year. But I think spiddal should've had to play kilanin for the final q/f spot. Yes it would mean a quick turn around between that game and the q/f but as the team who finished 3rd in their group they'd have no complaints and would be thankful to be there.

I do want to keep the 2 up 2 down system in place . Hard luck to kilrerin but breathnachs and oughterard are miles ahead of them"
If Spiddal would have to play Kilannin for the quarter final spot, surely Claregalway would have to be part of this play-off too. All 3 teams finished with 6 points in their groups. That would be a 3-way play-off and 2 extra games for each team, which would take far too much time before a quarter-final. The criteria was scoring difference and everyone was made aware of it.
The plan is to reduce it to 16 teams, which is healthy in my opinion. It will also address the issue you've mentioned.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 598 - 30/10/2019 15:15:57    2246632

Link

If it's 3 down In 2020 then it'll be the most important year for senior teams to perform more than ever before and inter teams at that, if they have ambitions of promotion with 6 senior teams relegated in past 2 years then their chances of promotion will be even harder.
The likes of carraroe, caherlistrane, milltown, breathnachs, oughterard, spiddal, st micheals, st jameswill all be targeted and will need to be on their toes, bring it on I say, a shake up is needed, it seems to be working for mayo who are operating at top table performance wise.

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 103 - 30/10/2019 17:38:07    2246651

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "If Spiddal would have to play Kilannin for the quarter final spot, surely Claregalway would have to be part of this play-off too. All 3 teams finished with 6 points in their groups. That would be a 3-way play-off and 2 extra games for each team, which would take far too much time before a quarter-final. The criteria was scoring difference and everyone was made aware of it.
The plan is to reduce it to 16 teams, which is healthy in my opinion. It will also address the issue you've mentioned."
I thought it was fair that the 3rd team in a group with 2 of the 4 seeded teams should qualify for the quarter finals. That would leave one extra game for the team finishing in 3rd in the other groups. Extra time if required and a quick turn around for the winner but they could have no issue as they would be glad to get to a quarter final having finished 3rd in their group.

I liked this years format and that's the only change I would make. Each to their own I guess

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1040 - 30/10/2019 20:16:51    2246662

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Bring it on a 16 team c'ship. Still to many teams who have no business in the senior ranks. Kilconly Barna carroroe carlstrande caltra menlough."
In my opinion the day people start saying smaller clubs have no place in senior is the end of club football. So are all those clubs like Milltown. Kilconly, Cotoon, killererin, Breanachs, Spiddal, Caherlistrane etc and I even include Tuam... are they all wasting their time putting into uage. So are those smaller clubs as you call them just going to shut up shop and go to watch the Corofin , Salthill and Claregalways. I don't think so. I think you need a huge reality check there. The beauty of clubs putting into their uage is to be able to see those uage lads grow into good footballers be it senior, intermediate junior or even County. For example look at Caltra and Kilconly minors this year what they have achieved. Both winners in north board A and B respectively. I was at those games, brilliant to watch. Then you have Ouchterard winners of minor Country B and went on to represent Galway in Connaught. Not bad for so called small clubs. You also have the likes of Dunmore and Monivea who are very very strong at uage. But sure the way ur talking they are all wasting their time. Where were all the so called bigger clubs when the likes of Killererin and Caltra won Frank Fox. Were the so called smaller clubs going around saying everyone else were wasting their time. What an idiotic Post.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 249 - 30/10/2019 22:12:40    2246683

Link