Galway Forum

Football Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Tiddlywinks77:  "I am not from Corofin but am a big supporter of Galway GAA Football.
I go to as many club games as i can both intermediate & senior. And whoever comes out of Galway each year i will go to see and support them where possilbe.
For you to say "if the playing field was levelled"? is a silly remark!
Corofin are going for 7 in a row and each year some team one or another try to put it up to them in some shape or form.
M/M more so in recent years & they tried last year and nearly succeeded by not letting Corofin play Football in the Drawn County Final. Once they went behind in the replay their tactcis shone through, spitting & off the ball incidents with red cards to follow.
I was in the stand last Sunday in Tuam Stadium for both games.
Claregalway will rue their missed opportunities, but they will gain huge experience from it.
If M/M played a bit more football in the first half the last day i feel they would have given Corofin a much closer game.
The actions of Canny running on & off the field have to be addressed but some of the actions of the M/M selectors like pulling the ear piece off a Corofin selector & squirting water is shameful.

Corofin to beat Salthill in the Semi Final. I feel Tuam to pip Moycullen in the other Semi final and I'd hope Tuam to give a good go against Corofin in the County Final."
There is only one club in Dublin, the County! Parish medals means nothing when you look into their cabinets or Paudie O' Sheas, RIP Cabinet. People other than from your own Parish really wont remember much about it.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 26/09/2019 12:35:56    2239353

Link

Replying To Tiddlywinks77:  "I am not from Corofin but am a big supporter of Galway GAA Football.
I go to as many club games as i can both intermediate & senior. And whoever comes out of Galway each year i will go to see and support them where possilbe.
For you to say "if the playing field was levelled"? is a silly remark!
Corofin are going for 7 in a row and each year some team one or another try to put it up to them in some shape or form.
M/M more so in recent years & they tried last year and nearly succeeded by not letting Corofin play Football in the Drawn County Final. Once they went behind in the replay their tactcis shone through, spitting & off the ball incidents with red cards to follow.
I was in the stand last Sunday in Tuam Stadium for both games.
Claregalway will rue their missed opportunities, but they will gain huge experience from it.
If M/M played a bit more football in the first half the last day i feel they would have given Corofin a much closer game.
The actions of Canny running on & off the field have to be addressed but some of the actions of the M/M selectors like pulling the ear piece off a Corofin selector & squirting water is shameful.

Corofin to beat Salthill in the Semi Final. I feel Tuam to pip Moycullen in the other Semi final and I'd hope Tuam to give a good go against Corofin in the County Final."
If the playing field was levelled corofin would still be all ireland champs.

It doesnt excuse the behaviour of officials from their side breaking the rules. I wasnt at the match but you were and the behaviour of the M/M lads sounds equally as bad. They shouldnt cancel each other out though. It shouldnt be accepted from either side

I was at a relegation match maybe 3 years ago where management of one side started shouting abuse at the players on the other team from the sideline. Horrible stuff. Management have a responsibility to behave with a bit of integrity. Bringing my young nephew to a match where he can hear a grown man shouting abuse at a young lad because his teams defence couldnt handle him. How do you explain that

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1005 - 26/09/2019 12:46:00    2239358

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "There is only one club in Dublin, the County! Parish medals means nothing when you look into their cabinets or Paudie O' Sheas, RIP Cabinet. People other than from your own Parish really wont remember much about it."
Parish medals mean nothing to you maybe. You're club hasn't won any county titles at this moment and time..

MairtinTomSean (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 26/09/2019 13:52:29    2239377

Link

Replying To MairtinTomSean:  "Parish medals mean nothing to you maybe. You're club hasn't won any county titles at this moment and time.."
Parish medals are only secondary to Proper All Ireland's. You are missing the point as usual.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 27/09/2019 00:33:25    2239534

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Parish medals are only secondary to Proper All Ireland's. You are missing the point as usual."
What's a proper All-Ireland, or rather what's not a proper All-Ireland?
This is a thread about the club championship, so all that matters in this discussion are the performances of clubs. Corofin have set the standard for all clubs in Ireland for the last few years, which is an incredible achievement.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 581 - 27/09/2019 11:33:38    2239595

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Parish medals are only secondary to Proper All Ireland's. You are missing the point as usual."
What a stupid statement. Do you think the likes of P. Joyce, Mehans from caltra, Garry sice etc haven't their club medals on show in their cabinets. Dead right they do and what a lovely thing to be able to show ur kids and grandchildren and friends.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 208 - 27/09/2019 11:49:02    2239599

Link

Welcome back Sammy. I see your spoon has gotten much bigger! :)

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 260 - 27/09/2019 15:47:57    2239672

Link

Replying To Toman:  "What a stupid statement. Do you think the likes of P. Joyce, Mehans from caltra, Garry sice etc haven't their club medals on show in their cabinets. Dead right they do and what a lovely thing to be able to show ur kids and grandchildren and friends."
Paraic Joyce has both on show . They didn't skip off to America when their County called them. Dont be comparing players who gave their all to the County, Maroon and White to players who wont play if they dont get to pick the Manager. Leave our Greatest GALWAY players, who gave people outside their village a chance to support them out of the argument.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 28/09/2019 12:09:58    2239811

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Paraic Joyce has both on show . They didn't skip off to America when their County called them. Dont be comparing players who gave their all to the County, Maroon and White to players who wont play if they dont get to pick the Manager. Leave our Greatest GALWAY players, who gave people outside their village a chance to support them out of the argument."
QUOTE No emphasis on Club Football in Dublin... ONE CLUB matters, the County.. TBH, Not too hard to understand...what exactly are you rattling on about. You say the above in one post and a later post you are saying they have both on show. You are also rattling on about American. Just remember its lads who are going well at club who should be picked for County. There is only one club who are still in championship who have supporters on about flying back one of their players come semi final. If you know players who wouldn't play for club or country spit it out.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 208 - 29/09/2019 09:19:07    2239952

Link

Replying To Toman:  "QUOTE No emphasis on Club Football in Dublin... ONE CLUB matters, the County.. TBH, Not too hard to understand...what exactly are you rattling on about. You say the above in one post and a later post you are saying they have both on show. You are also rattling on about American. Just remember its lads who are going well at club who should be picked for County. There is only one club who are still in championship who have supporters on about flying back one of their players come semi final. If you know players who wouldn't play for club or country spit it out."
Keep Calm, if Dublin wanted to set up a club to win the Club All Ireland every year they would. Them lads are gearing up for September, no player will get injured playing for a Club in Dublin.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 30/09/2019 00:50:56    2240178

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Keep Calm, if Dublin wanted to set up a club to win the Club All Ireland every year they would. Them lads are gearing up for September, no player will get injured playing for a Club in Dublin."
Relax about Dublin. This is a Galway gaa forum. I don't think too many people reading galway posts want to hear about Dublin.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 208 - 30/09/2019 11:11:04    2240247

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Relax about Dublin. This is a Galway gaa forum. I don't think too many people reading galway posts want to hear about Dublin."
If I relax anymore I will die. The point is, where there is a real County team with 5 in a row they put County first and don't bother much with Parish games.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 30/09/2019 14:02:57    2240310

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "If I relax anymore I will die. The point is, where there is a real County team with 5 in a row they put County first and don't bother much with Parish games."
Agreed Sammy but in fairness no club in Galway has bothered with parish games for at least six years bar Corofin and still no sign of Sam travelling over the Shannon. It does make you wonder why Dublin clubs go actively recruiting players from down the country in order to win the auld Dublin Championship... Vincents, Ballyboden, Kimacud, Na Fianna or Brigids, sure even Parnells recuited the Mort from Shrule and they had the greatest of all time in Cluxton in their stable but still went into the transfer market.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 30/09/2019 19:39:44    2240442

Link

Replying To GDL:  "Agreed Sammy but in fairness no club in Galway has bothered with parish games for at least six years bar Corofin and still no sign of Sam travelling over the Shannon. It does make you wonder why Dublin clubs go actively recruiting players from down the country in order to win the auld Dublin Championship... Vincents, Ballyboden, Kimacud, Na Fianna or Brigids, sure even Parnells recuited the Mort from Shrule and they had the greatest of all time in Cluxton in their stable but still went into the transfer market."
They are using the clubs to recruit for the County, and rob the other Counties at the same time. Totally different set up when a County goes professional and pays their players.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 30/09/2019 21:47:37    2240462

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "They are using the clubs to recruit for the County, and rob the other Counties at the same time. Totally different set up when a County goes professional and pays their players."
Still don't get your logic, sure successive Galway managers have left good club players out and brought in the cream of talent (county standard) from the remainder of clubs who don't feature in the search for the local medal and still no Sam since 2001. Did ya ever get a chance to draw up that list of lads you where on about that went over the pond for July and August rather than do a few drills at Loughgeorge and declined the county invite?

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 30/09/2019 22:01:23    2240466

Link

Replying To GDL:  "Agreed Sammy but in fairness no club in Galway has bothered with parish games for at least six years bar Corofin and still no sign of Sam travelling over the Shannon. It does make you wonder why Dublin clubs go actively recruiting players from down the country in order to win the auld Dublin Championship... Vincents, Ballyboden, Kimacud, Na Fianna or Brigids, sure even Parnells recuited the Mort from Shrule and they had the greatest of all time in Cluxton in their stable but still went into the transfer market."
Seems to me that, like many others ,you are very jealous of Corofins great success in recent times referring to club football as parish games. They are a shining light in Galway football and I heard a Dublin player say recently how he loved watching them play. If Galway could copy their style they might get somewhere.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 30/09/2019 22:04:33    2240467

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Seems to me that, like many others ,you are very jealous of Corofins great success in recent times referring to club football as parish games. They are a shining light in Galway football and I heard a Dublin player say recently how he loved watching them play. If Galway could copy their style they might get somewhere."
Jealousy doesn't come into it. The last all Ireland's we won were won by a team of players from every corner of the County, all put County first and respected the Jersey and respected the manager. Now all of a sudden we are supposed to play the Coroffin way and have 15 of them on the team in order to win and make sure our manager don't live west of the Corrib. We won two All Ireland's by playing the Managers way and being willing to play with players from the places you mistakingly think are inferior to you.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 30/09/2019 22:42:30    2240478

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "There is only one club in Dublin, the County! Parish medals means nothing when you look into their cabinets or Paudie O' Sheas, RIP Cabinet. People other than from your own Parish really wont remember much about it."
Sammy you seem to be forgetting one very important point here, without clubs there would be no county players. I would never blame any player for putting his club before a county team, after all that's where they start their career and also where they'll finish it.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 30/09/2019 23:34:57    2240484

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Seems to me that, like many others ,you are very jealous of Corofins great success in recent times referring to club football as parish games. They are a shining light in Galway football and I heard a Dublin player say recently how he loved watching them play. If Galway could copy their style they might get somewhere."
Read this below from last Octobers forum from Galwayboy09... he think I'm from Corofin, you think I'm jealous, perhaps I'm just giving opinions and was agreeing with Sammy or pulling his leg.

GDL, you are clearly a corofin man with the corofin goggles on if you criticising Mountbellew for blanket defense. Anyone that actually watched the game seen that when Mountbellew had the ball, corofin had 14 men back inside their own 45 and didn't bother pressing Mountbellew so Mountbellew frustrated Corofin by playing lateral and keeping the ball, it was their tactics, why didn't corofin press Mountbellew as in the second half they pressed Mountbellew and started to win more ball. When Corofin had the Mountbellew had 14 men back so it was 2 very negative teams playing each other that led to a shocker of a match. Its football that needs to be criticised yesterday as both teams played the same way.
GalwayBoy09 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 29/10/2018 17:07:27 2148619

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 01/10/2019 00:11:52    2240486

Link

Replying To GalwayLurker:  "Sammy you seem to be forgetting one very important point here, without clubs there would be no county players. I would never blame any player for putting his club before a county team, after all that's where they start their career and also where they'll finish it."
This forum should be renamed SAMMYTHEBULL. Hes on the same rant now for as long as I can remember ie manager from west.. lads gone to America... parish medals. Get over yourself SAMMY and move on.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 208 - 01/10/2019 07:47:05    2240507

Link