Galway Forum

Football Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

People don't half get carried away, Coroin are one of the greatest club sides of all time and have won 3 of the last 5 club finals by 10, 15 & 12 points. They have walked those games against top opposition. The club game in Galway is no way near as made out by a few on here.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 23/09/2019 12:40:16    2238485

Link

most striking thing yesterday was that Corofin had 10 or 11 different scorers while Mountbellew had 4

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 343 - 23/09/2019 12:57:26    2238498

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Its 2 or 3 years too early for this Salthill team before they can hope to fire a shot against Corofin imo. Lucky enough to beat Claregalway. The core of the SK team are U21 (Maher, Finnerty, Tinney, Sweeney, McFadden, the Culhanes, evan murphy to come back next year you would think) with a few experienced heads like Hanley, G. Armstrong , McTiernan, Rob Butler and Gavin Duffy adding experience. Would have had a good shot v Tuam or Moycullen but can't see anything but a 10 pt win for Corofin.

Tuam or a Kelly & Cookeless Moycullen will be very underwhelming finalists aswell. Much like Dublin and the all ireland, It would be an unreal tight championship with 6 or 7 seriously contenders if Corofin didn't exist!"
They were certainly lucky to get past a belligerent Claregalway. Duffy and McTiernan are long past their sell by date with FH nearly finito also. Corofin will be licking their lips as at this stage it is a done deal they will win it out.

RicoSuave (Galway) - Posts: 14 - 23/09/2019 13:17:00    2238507

Link

Was at Ceathru Rua v Leitir Mor. Very enjoyable game with a huge crowd in Ros Muc. Intermediate standard.. Once again C Rua had too much for the islanders, however the mileage adding up for the red men and I'd worry for them next year. Islanders will be intermediates next year imo.

MairtinTomSean (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 23/09/2019 13:58:23    2238528

Link

Replying To MairtinTomSean:  "Was at Ceathru Rua v Leitir Mor. Very enjoyable game with a huge crowd in Ros Muc. Intermediate standard.. Once again C Rua had too much for the islanders, however the mileage adding up for the red men and I'd worry for them next year. Islanders will be intermediates next year imo."
Average age of the 15 on field was just over 25 years.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 655 - 23/09/2019 15:31:32    2238574

Link

Did anyone notice the corofin selector/maor uisce that used to run onto the pitch for every Mountbellew kick out? He seemed to run out to fill any pocket of space that developed for the kick out and then proceeded to run off when the kick out was taken

Josphine (Galway) - Posts: 13 - 23/09/2019 15:46:23    2238578

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Average age of the 15 on field was just over 25 years."
As good as they will be, wont be getting any better at 35.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 23/09/2019 16:51:10    2238591

Link

Replying To JDF:  "People don't half get carried away, Coroin are one of the greatest club sides of all time and have won 3 of the last 5 club finals by 10, 15 & 12 points. They have walked those games against top opposition. The club game in Galway is no way near as made out by a few on here."
Pity they couldn't develop into County players like the Dubs, Mayo, Kerry etc. Sure if a person hasn't got it cant be blamed either. But agree at Club Standard hard to beat.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 23/09/2019 16:54:31    2238592

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "As good as they will be, wont be getting any better at 35."
Welcome back Sammy x

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 655 - 23/09/2019 16:57:52    2238593

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Welcome back Sammy x"
Lol..

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 23/09/2019 16:59:51    2238595

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Pity they couldn't develop into County players like the Dubs, Mayo, Kerry etc. Sure if a person hasn't got it cant be blamed either. But agree at Club Standard hard to beat."
'Pity they couldn't develop into County players like the Dubs, Mayo, Kerry etc'
That's one of your more intelligent comments in fairness Sammy. Not even sure what it means tbh.

I would say Ian Burke and Liam Silke are well established county players at this stage.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 125 - 24/09/2019 08:11:11    2238675

Link

Replying To Josphine:  "Did anyone notice the corofin selector/maor uisce that used to run onto the pitch for every Mountbellew kick out? He seemed to run out to fill any pocket of space that developed for the kick out and then proceeded to run off when the kick out was taken"
Yes I did!!
they were trying to confuse M/M's keeper by filling pockets of space and slow down the kick out.
They were also throwing in extra balls just to slow down any M/M restarts....... I can't believe the ref never copped it because about half the stand did!!
Should give the attacking team a free at halfway, would stop this nonsense as some inter-county teams are at this too.... selectors shouldn't be allowed affect the speed of a game

futj (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 24/09/2019 08:20:39    2238678

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "'Pity they couldn't develop into County players like the Dubs, Mayo, Kerry etc'
That's one of your more intelligent comments in fairness Sammy. Not even sure what it means tbh.

I would say Ian Burke and Liam Silke are well established county players at this stage."
Silke was very poor when it mattered for galway this year ie agaist Mayo and Ros. Definitely not an IC corner back defensively, might be good enough at wing back.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 24/09/2019 09:23:16    2238688

Link

Replying To futj:  "Yes I did!!
they were trying to confuse M/M's keeper by filling pockets of space and slow down the kick out.
They were also throwing in extra balls just to slow down any M/M restarts....... I can't believe the ref never copped it because about half the stand did!!
Should give the attacking team a free at halfway, would stop this nonsense as some inter-county teams are at this too.... selectors shouldn't be allowed affect the speed of a game"
I was at a game 2 seasons back in the senior championship where at a very crucial point in proceedings with about 5 minutes left a maor uisce ran in and literally contested a kickout, the ball broke to his "team mate" and a point was scored. Referee never even spotted it apparently despite half the crowd going ape.

Should be an outright ban on anyone who isn't a registered physio entering the field of play at anything other than an injury stoppage.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 24/09/2019 09:28:25    2238694

Link

Should give the attacking team a free at halfway, would stop this nonsense as some inter-county teams are at this too.... selectors shouldn't be allowed affect the speed of a game"
A simple solution, if extreme, but allow players to treat them like opposition players. A firm shoulder to anyone other than physio/doctor running onto the field will cut down on these incursions. It will never happen sadly

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 266 - 24/09/2019 12:05:51    2238742

Link

Canny did it twice. Linesman told the ref. Ref told him to stop. He did. It's a strange tactic picked up from the IC scene this year. Maybe there is merit to it. It was stopped very quickly to give the officials a bit of credit.

SamandLiamSoon (Galway) - Posts: 443 - 24/09/2019 15:40:31    2238805

Link

Mayo and Dublin have been using this extra man on the field tactic on kickouts for a few years now. Jayo is never off the pitch.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 176 - 24/09/2019 18:20:43    2238842

Link

Replying To SamandLiamSoon:  "Canny did it twice. Linesman told the ref. Ref told him to stop. He did. It's a strange tactic picked up from the IC scene this year. Maybe there is merit to it. It was stopped very quickly to give the officials a bit of credit."
Im afraid i cant give officials much credit. Corofin clearly the better team but i think we cant ignore the very obviius bias in officialdom towards corofin. It may be sub conscious on their behalf as opposed to deliberate but nevertheless very prevalent. 2 blatant trips (one foor and 1 hand) unpunished, constant pinging of mtbellew players for off the ball fouls while similar offences unpunished at the other end. Mtbellew never allowed to take quick frees and when they did the frees were ordered to be retaken with no 10 yard penalty. Look , corofin are the best and all in the county want to see them go the whole way again. But the gap betweeb them and the best of the rest in galway might not be as much if the playing field was levelled.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 61 - 25/09/2019 08:36:50    2238963

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "Im afraid i cant give officials much credit. Corofin clearly the better team but i think we cant ignore the very obviius bias in officialdom towards corofin. It may be sub conscious on their behalf as opposed to deliberate but nevertheless very prevalent. 2 blatant trips (one foor and 1 hand) unpunished, constant pinging of mtbellew players for off the ball fouls while similar offences unpunished at the other end. Mtbellew never allowed to take quick frees and when they did the frees were ordered to be retaken with no 10 yard penalty. Look , corofin are the best and all in the county want to see them go the whole way again. But the gap betweeb them and the best of the rest in galway might not be as much if the playing field was levelled."
I am not from Corofin but am a big supporter of Galway GAA Football.
I go to as many club games as i can both intermediate & senior. And whoever comes out of Galway each year i will go to see and support them where possilbe.
For you to say "if the playing field was levelled"? is a silly remark!
Corofin are going for 7 in a row and each year some team one or another try to put it up to them in some shape or form.
M/M more so in recent years & they tried last year and nearly succeeded by not letting Corofin play Football in the Drawn County Final. Once they went behind in the replay their tactcis shone through, spitting & off the ball incidents with red cards to follow.
I was in the stand last Sunday in Tuam Stadium for both games.
Claregalway will rue their missed opportunities, but they will gain huge experience from it.
If M/M played a bit more football in the first half the last day i feel they would have given Corofin a much closer game.
The actions of Canny running on & off the field have to be addressed but some of the actions of the M/M selectors like pulling the ear piece off a Corofin selector & squirting water is shameful.

Corofin to beat Salthill in the Semi Final. I feel Tuam to pip Moycullen in the other Semi final and I'd hope Tuam to give a good go against Corofin in the County Final.

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 260 - 26/09/2019 09:49:50    2239294

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "'Pity they couldn't develop into County players like the Dubs, Mayo, Kerry etc'

I would say Ian Burke and Liam Silke are well established county players at this stage."
No emphasis on Club Football in Dublin... ONE CLUB matters, the County.. TBH, Not too hard to understand.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 26/09/2019 12:30:55    2239351

Link