Galway Forum

Football Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Maroonforever:  "I never said anything about about abusing players galwayfball. I'm just making a point that the Moycullen lads have not performed well with Galway this year. Bar Sean Kelly who I can give a free pass to beacuse of injury. Bradshaw, Cooke and Wynne have all been poor this year for Galway."
Wynne has played well this year he hasn't had a poor performance. If moycullen don't progress to the quarter finals these 4 lads are on the pitch with 11 others. Base your opinion on how you see them perform for galway or if you actually attend a moycullen game base it on what you see. At club level they stand out on the pitch. Cooke is a superstar for us

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 976 - 06/04/2019 01:25:50    2177876

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Wynne has played well this year he hasn't had a poor performance. If moycullen don't progress to the quarter finals these 4 lads are on the pitch with 11 others. Base your opinion on how you see them perform for galway or if you actually attend a moycullen game base it on what you see. At club level they stand out on the pitch. Cooke is a superstar for us"
I do base on what i've seen with Galway and i'm still not impressed by him it's only the league he has not performed well when it has come to championship. Against Tipperary in 16 and Mayo in 17 he was destroyed by Quinlvan and O'Connor he's not a tight enough marker for an intercounty corner back.

I don't care if Cooke is a star for Moycullen I want to see him perform well amd intercounty level and this tear any game I have seen him in he has not played well taking shots from out the field that he is never gonna and dropping the balll into the opposition keepers hands you can't do at this level if the Corofin players were doing it i'd say the exact same thing.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 338 - 06/04/2019 10:15:06    2177883

Link

Moycullen are in a tough group, they have a local derby vs killanin which could go either way. In saying that i can see them finishing second to mountbellew in this group. killanin 3rd, monivae 4th, caherlistrane 5th, an cheathru rua 6th.

jj19 (Galway) - Posts: 431 - 06/04/2019 11:39:37    2177889

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Wynne has played well this year he hasn't had a poor performance. If moycullen don't progress to the quarter finals these 4 lads are on the pitch with 11 others. Base your opinion on how you see them perform for galway or if you actually attend a moycullen game base it on what you see. At club level they stand out on the pitch. Cooke is a superstar for us"
Let's call a spade a spade - Wynne isn't at the standard needed for a county defender.
Any time he comes up against a half decent forward he gets destroyed - even against Sligo last year in the rout in Pearse Stadium.
The other 3 Moycullen lads are quality - although Cooke has yet to really show it in a senior jersey.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 642 - 06/04/2019 13:45:54    2177898

Link

Id expect Moycullen to go well they have the 4 inter county panel lads plus Matt Donoghue galway hurler plus some prospects like Kelly's younger brother who was on galway minors last year plus a young lad who was on their u20 last year (while still a minor) who got about 2-5 from play in the u20 county final and is about 6'6 and takes frees.

Only last to mountbellew by 1 pt after Xtra time last year but have a tough group.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 06/04/2019 23:29:28    2177939

Link

surely killanin should be one of the favs for the drop this year ?!!!!

lukewestburgh (Galway) - Posts: 2 - 09/04/2019 12:21:33    2178195

Link

Replying To lukewestburgh:  "surely killanin should be one of the favs for the drop this year ?!!!!"
Considering they drew with annaghdown and were very unlucky to only draw with salthill last year im not sure what that would be based on. Two Sweeneys and Heaney are a real handful for any club side.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 09/04/2019 16:45:05    2178246

Link

Mountbellew or Killanin to Dismantle Corofins crown this year (you read it here first!)

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 253 - 27/04/2019 13:45:04    2180537

Link

Replying To Tiddlywinks77:  "Mountbellew or Killanin to Dismantle Corofins crown this year (you read it here first!)"
Moycullen could be another team added to the list. I doubt any of these teams will beat Corofin though are just to far ahead of everyone else.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 338 - 27/04/2019 17:37:41    2180567

Link

Could we get league tables up on forum to see how the form is coming into the first round. Can't get them on Galway has website

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 27/04/2019 20:55:41    2180587

Link

Tables not available. A shambles of a website imo.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 220 - 28/04/2019 19:00:00    2180702

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Could we get league tables up on forum to see how the form is coming into the first round. Can't get them on Galway has website"
It's pretty easy to find the tables on the galwaygaa website. Just go to football results and go to the left side and press whichever division you want to see.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 650 - 28/04/2019 19:28:14    2180708

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Considering they drew with annaghdown and were very unlucky to only draw with salthill last year im not sure what that would be based on. Two Sweeneys and Heaney are a real handful for any club side."
And niall Walsh is also a very good footballer for killanin too.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 294 - 28/04/2019 22:25:31    2180732

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Moycullen could be another team added to the list. I doubt any of these teams will beat Corofin though are just to far ahead of everyone else."
Have to disagree with you there,. Annaghdown, Salthill and Milltown would come in ahead of Moycullen. Maybe one or two more.

Galwaywest19 (Galway) - Posts: 6 - 02/05/2019 13:58:04    2181444

Link

Very hard to see any team knocking corofin out, think the best chance is in the quarter /semi final because come the final they wont slip up, although maybe them getting toppled would push on the standard in the county

Gaagodeo (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 13/05/2019 23:42:57    2183860

Link

Predictions:
Salthill v bearna, salthill + 4
Micheals v spiddal, micheals +2
Milltown v killererin, milltown +8
Carraroe v caherlistrane, good game draw
Mountbellew v monivea, mountbellew strong contenders
Moycullen v killanin, looking forward to this will watch it Sunday, killanin have a full back line that can be got at, moycullen by 2
Annaghdown v claregalway, annaghdown missing duggan comer so can be targeted but they will just squeeze past, annaghdown by 2
Leitir mór v james, 2 poor leagues to date, they will both target this game, leitir mór to scrape it
Corofin v tuam, corofin +6

Mountbellew going hard this year, if they get corofin early in knock out stages then maybe otherwise corofin again.
2 down, killererin, James,leitir mór or spiddal

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 15/05/2019 09:37:24    2184227

Link

Some interesting clashed between some big teams. Looking forward to being in Athenry for the double header.

Granted no comer but Annaghdown still should have too much for Claregalway. The difference between a D1 and D2 team can be often exposed in the white heat of championship battle. I note Claregalway last beat Oranmore by a point at home whereas Annaghdowns latest league victory came away to Salthill.

Tuam will get up to play Corofin but it will be 1 way stuff altogether. Tuam seem to be going well in the league so lets see if they can eradicate the ghosts of last season when they were in the relegation dogfight and salavage some pride against their near neighbours.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 16/05/2019 08:24:18    2184473

Link

I belief that Moutnbellya Moylough are de team to beat this year.

they are de best drilled team I've seen and I think they will have the beating of corofin and I think that the corofin lads are tired after such a long season. I think that annaghdown will fall short and M/M will beat everyone.

BigNualaBurke (Galway) - Posts: 77 - 17/05/2019 15:30:41    2184971

Link

Build up to the games simmering nicely. Word on the street is that Tuam are quietly confident and well posied to deliver a big performance on Saturday evening. I agree with the above poster that MM will be the only team to stop Corofin this year. Barry McHugh's exodus from the Galway panel may be the catalyst needed to get them over the line on the big day. Time will tell.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 21/05/2019 09:43:24    2186177

Link

Tuam were fairly lucky not to be relegated last year. Be amazed if they lay a glove on Corofin.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 256 - 21/05/2019 12:50:32    2186277

Link