Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Most good senior club teams have 2 or 3 players who are 9 out of 10 lads ie their inter county stars. Then they might have 3 or
4 seven out of ten lads ie top class club players and then a big drop to the rest of the team and panel who are 5 out of 10 .

The difference with corofin is they have their 2 or 3 9/10 (ian burke, sice, silke) lads but then they have about twenty 7/10 or 8/10 lads. Their depth of quality blows every other club away. But that doesnt mean all their superb club players are better than the 9/10 lads who are dotted among the other senior teams who make up the Galway panel.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 25/11/2018 20:48:59    2152398

Link

Replying To Jellybaby:  "I agree Kickitout.

Corofin are a phenomenal team and club but I don't think anyone else other than Silke, Molloy and Ian Burke would make that Galway team. They have a gifted bunch of club player's but they never seemed to be able to make that step up to intercounty.

Young Silke possibly one for the future, he'll be with the u20s this year."
Agree with all of the above. Max 3 players from this Corofin team are county standard.

DaleWater (Galway) - Posts: 29 - 25/11/2018 21:15:02    2152402

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "We may have loads of quality backs at our disposal but my fear is that if corofin progress, we will hear the usual manure that it will be too late to integrate them or not fair on the players who have been training with panel since December. Or the classic excuse . . Just because you are a great club player doesn't mean you will do it at county. An excuse that was given for the exclusion of Ian Burke for 3 years before he got his chance.

We have to learn from our mistakes and put our best 15 out on the pitch. We need to bring in at least 6 new backs and 2/3 forwards onto panel. The team should be selected on form and ability.

My team
Power
Silke, SAC, Mcdaid
Molloy, Daly, Wall
Duggan, Steede
Daly, Walsh, Kelly
Burke, Comer, Mannion

Subs Farraghers, Varley, Cooke, Flynn, Kirrane, kerins, Conroy, Bradshaw, Kyne, Cunningham, Leonard, Mchugh, Lundy and lavelle"
Interesting line up, not sure I agree 100% but I like the way you're thinking

dontlookback (Galway) - Posts: 185 - 25/11/2018 21:25:53    2152403

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "Didn't see anything from any Corofin player today that would warrant a call up to the Galway panel. Made hard work of a poor Ballintuber team."
DaleWater you dont know what you are talking about calling Ballintubber a poor team. They are Mayo Co Champions and a very fine side. They have a number of top class Mayo players and would give a hard game to any club side particularly at home.Corofin looked a bit tired today but they still got the win which is what its all about.However I would agree that most of their players are not Co standard but very good club players.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 25/11/2018 21:59:17    2152407

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "Didn't see anything from any Corofin player today that would warrant a call up to the Galway panel. Made hard work of a poor Ballintuber team."
What game were you watching ?. Liam silke played well. Molloy was brilliant all day. Wall showed his class as the game progressed. Steede had a superb 2nd half and dominated midfield for the last 20 minutes when the game was up for grabs. It's a mystery how this man can't get even one chance at county level. He is strong, mobile, an excellent fielder of the ball, possesses great vision and is an excellent fielder of the ball.

Ian Burke gave an exhibition of how the game should be played. Worth the admission fee. 3 connacht titles in a row for this great side. Playing ballintubber who are a good side with plenty of county stars in castlebar. You are a hard man to please Dalewater.

Alot of the other corofin lads played well also and did enough to win the game. Any of the 5 corofin lads named above are worthy of a call up and also good enough to start any game for Galway.

Another 2 or possibly 3 are good enough for the county panel. If management dont give them a fair chance and select them, then it wont be the end of the world. We'll probably progress to a certain point again next year but we can definitely wave goodbye to any chance of winning an all ireland or competing against dublin without these lads.

Anyway congrats to corofin on achieving the 3 in a row and doing Galway proud once again.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 26/11/2018 01:04:45    2152424

Link

I am not from Corofin but I think we need to take into account yesterdays match was played on 25th Nov. Football never looks great and a player that shines on the 25th of November would not necessary shine on 25th June.

Molloy, Burke, Silke are the obvious lads to step to next level. Steede and Farragher have been in and must not have shown enough.

I would like to see Wall get a chance although it will be tough for him with Corofins Club commitments.

Some of the teams that are being put up have left out Tom Flynn (which I would have agreed with before last year), I thought he had a fantastic 2018 and looks like he is finally fulfilling his potential.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 26/11/2018 08:41:58    2152432

Link

Leonard is good. Martin Farragher seems hard done by to never have been given a trial. Sure look maybe he just is happy out with Corofin.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 26/11/2018 09:59:10    2152436

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Leonard is good. Martin Farragher seems hard done by to never have been given a trial. Sure look maybe he just is happy out with Corofin."
Was he not involved under Mullholland in 2013?

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 26/11/2018 10:53:00    2152443

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Was he not involved under Mullholland in 2013?"
No.. Michael was.

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 26/11/2018 12:08:27    2152455

Link

Great win for Corofin and had to be patient, as Ballintubber set up so defensively. Dylan Wall has loads of potential - such a versatile player. Daithi will need to get more football exposure for sharpness. A lot of talk now of a Crokes/Corofin final. Crokes have added a lot of young talent, are very Lacey and, potentially a better team that when they last won AI. They are also capable of putting up big scores. I feel Corofin still have not fully opened up, so there's room for improvement. Whether the hunger is there - only time will tell. Let's hope so...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 352 - 27/11/2018 00:42:59    2152550

Link

Replying To Really:  "Great win for Corofin and had to be patient, as Ballintubber set up so defensively. Dylan Wall has loads of potential - such a versatile player. Daithi will need to get more football exposure for sharpness. A lot of talk now of a Crokes/Corofin final. Crokes have added a lot of young talent, are very Lacey and, potentially a better team that when they last won AI. They are also capable of putting up big scores. I feel Corofin still have not fully opened up, so there's room for improvement. Whether the hunger is there - only time will tell. Let's hope so..."
You must be mistaken....no Mayo team has or will-ever set up defensively...this is why they are clear favorites to win all ahead of them in 2019.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 607 - 27/11/2018 10:04:58    2152571

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "We may have loads of quality backs at our disposal but my fear is that if corofin progress, we will hear the usual manure that it will be too late to integrate them or not fair on the players who have been training with panel since December. Or the classic excuse . . Just because you are a great club player doesn't mean you will do it at county. An excuse that was given for the exclusion of Ian Burke for 3 years before he got his chance.

We have to learn from our mistakes and put our best 15 out on the pitch. We need to bring in at least 6 new backs and 2/3 forwards onto panel. The team should be selected on form and ability.

My team
Power
Silke, SAC, Mcdaid
Molloy, Daly, Wall
Duggan, Steede
Daly, Walsh, Kelly
Burke, Comer, Mannion

Subs Farraghers, Varley, Cooke, Flynn, Kirrane, kerins, Conroy, Bradshaw, Kyne, Cunningham, Leonard, Mchugh, Lundy and lavelle"
Power
Silke, SAC, Mcdaid
Molloy, Daly, Wall
Duggan, Steede
Daly, Walsh, Kelly
Burke, Comer, Mannion

Subs Farraghers, Varley, Cooke, Flynn, Kirrane, kerins, Conroy, Bradshaw, Kyne, Cunningham, Leonard, Mchugh, Lundy and lavelle

Flynn, Kerin and Conroy are good enough to start.
No Brannigan, Heaney, Cummins on panel?
11 Corofin players??? They are an excellent club team but that's just ridiculous.
Agree re Silke corner back. It seems to be his best position offer loads going forward from there.
Inexperienced but exiting looking half back line. If all three make the step up looks good but its a big ask for them all to make it next year.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 27/11/2018 11:09:22    2152580

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "You must be mistaken....no Mayo team has or will-ever set up defensively...this is why they are clear favorites to win all ahead of them in 2019."
Ballintubber were set up very defensively at the weekend. they had 14 behind the ball when ever they could. CO'C was picking up balls on his own 13 even. did you watch the game on sunday?

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 27/11/2018 11:10:35    2152581

Link

Replying To whoop_hero:  "Ballintubber were set up very defensively at the weekend. they had 14 behind the ball when ever they could. CO'C was picking up balls on his own 13 even. did you watch the game on sunday?"
Ah here, is sarcasm completely lost on you?

I know they were defensive, the comment was in jest toward our Northern rivals who claim that they are the only one who can win an AI as they dont play defensive football up there.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 607 - 27/11/2018 11:46:05    2152584

Link

Where is Joe Donnellan Cortoon Shamrocks gone??
Think he deserves a crack at it....

smokeygaa (Galway) - Posts: 420 - 28/11/2018 17:37:10    2152742

Link

Those of you on the Steede Bandwaggon - He has had his chances in county panels over the years and didn't even show enough in training to get a run, not to mind start in the championship like some of you have suggested. Corofin were cleaned at mid field in the first half at the weekend.

Padraic Cunningham will have a massive year.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 28/11/2018 17:57:23    2152750

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Those of you on the Steede Bandwaggon - He has had his chances in county panels over the years and didn't even show enough in training to get a run, not to mind start in the championship like some of you have suggested. Corofin were cleaned at mid field in the first half at the weekend.

Padraic Cunningham will have a massive year."
Opinions vary on the steede issue. Steede has never been given a chance unlike others who have started for Galway on many occasions regardless of their form. I'd never judge the top players by their form in training. You can only really judge county players in a competitive environment and not training sessions. The game is littered with great players who by their own admission were anonymous in training but nearly always produced on match day.

The current management were proven to be very wrong in relation to Ian Burke. There are many galway supporters out there who believe that they are making the same mistake again in relation to steede. The fact of the matter is that steede is a proven winner. He has pace, is very mobile, has good vision, is an excellent fielder of the ball and he is well able to take a score when the opportunity arises.

In relation to last sundays game, corofin made a few mistakes at the back in the first half. Gibbons and O Connor ere county footballers and had a good first half. When the game was in the melting pot in the second half, steede was brilliant and dominated the midfield. Gibbons and O Connor were cleaned by Steede. It's a farce that this man is deemed surplus to requirements. He should be given game time. That's the only way this debate will be put to bed. I strongly suspect that he won't disappoint if given his chance.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 28/11/2018 22:29:28    2152779

Link

Replying To smokeygaa:  "Where is Joe Donnellan Cortoon Shamrocks gone??
Think he deserves a crack at it...."
recovering from a knee injury atm... big loss for cortoon when they struggled being relegated

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 29/11/2018 10:18:38    2152800

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Opinions vary on the steede issue. Steede has never been given a chance unlike others who have started for Galway on many occasions regardless of their form. I'd never judge the top players by their form in training. You can only really judge county players in a competitive environment and not training sessions. The game is littered with great players who by their own admission were anonymous in training but nearly always produced on match day.

The current management were proven to be very wrong in relation to Ian Burke. There are many galway supporters out there who believe that they are making the same mistake again in relation to steede. The fact of the matter is that steede is a proven winner. He has pace, is very mobile, has good vision, is an excellent fielder of the ball and he is well able to take a score when the opportunity arises.

In relation to last sundays game, corofin made a few mistakes at the back in the first half. Gibbons and O Connor ere county footballers and had a good first half. When the game was in the melting pot in the second half, steede was brilliant and dominated the midfield. Gibbons and O Connor were cleaned by Steede. It's a farce that this man is deemed surplus to requirements. He should be given game time. That's the only way this debate will be put to bed. I strongly suspect that he won't disappoint if given his chance."
Needless to say i 100% agree. The only reason Tubber did well in the first half at midfield the last day was the crowded it and picked up a lot of breaks in the first half, this was rectified at half time. O Connor was anoyomus all game and if thats what Mayo have in midfield this year i wouldn't be losing too much sleep.

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 29/11/2018 10:41:22    2152802

Link

Replying To gaa190:  "Those of you on the Steede Bandwaggon - He has had his chances in county panels over the years and didn't even show enough in training to get a run, not to mind start in the championship like some of you have suggested. Corofin were cleaned at mid field in the first half at the weekend.

Padraic Cunningham will have a massive year."
Cunningham is injured - needs surgery I think not 100% sure. Did not play for the club in knock out stages of inter c'ship (bar 10 mins in qf).

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 650 - 29/11/2018 11:38:47    2152812

Link