Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Trucker1:  "McDaid at corner back instead of Eoghan Kerin? McDaid is an attacking wing back or a forward and is totally unproven at this level yet although is a great prospect. Kerin has been brilliant for us. No Heaney at all who has been one of our best players(he couldn't manage Jack McCaffrey but who could). Cathal Sweeney is getting written off too easily, agree he is under pressure but there was very few games where he was bettered. Flynn was one of the best midfielders in the country last year and is proven unlike Steede(though I'd give him a shot in league to see how he went). Forwards look tasty but I'd try someone like Heaney or maybe McDaid together with Kelly to work up and down the pitch and allow Comer and Burke to stay as close to goal as possible. All in all there is a good squad of players there"
Good post. All about opinions really. Nothing like a bit of competition for places. I just think that our half back line last year was outclassed against Dublin. I think a half back line of Molloy, Daly and Wall would have held their own and more against Dublin. Heaney had a great league but a very quiet championship. Molloy and Wall on either wing will offer more than Sweeney and Heaney. Thats just my opinion. Daly is also a natural number 6 and he should keep bradshaw on his toes.The lads who played there last year have been great servants and I appreciate their efforts but I think management need to try something different especially in this area. As for mcdaid, I think he is far too good a player to leave on the bench. He has the ability to play anywhere including at corner back. Kerins had a great 2018 but came unstuck against Paul mannion in the semi final. I just think mcdaid is a better footballer overall and if that means placing kerins on the bench then so be it. As for flynn, he played well in a few games Last year and is a good player but has drifted in and out of big games in the past. A Steede/Duggan midfield however is not a bad pairing. Steede in particular deserves a chance. Its incredible to think he has yet to be given a start at senior considering his achievements. We know what Flynn can do. I'd like to see Steede get a start in a league game and lets see what he can do. I suspect that he might give the same answer as Ian Burke when he eventually got his break. Anyway, there is no shortage of talent out there. Hopefully, we'll have another good year.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 16/11/2018 22:42:26    2151368

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Some lads absolutely losing the run of themselves looking for McDaid and Wall to just go straight into the team. They havent played a competitive game for Galway yet... And if someone tells me Mcdaid played FBD well that is hardly the most comparable thing to championship is it ? Its good to have the competition but can some of ye try apply to rational thinking."
Mcdaid played championship against Donegal up in Sligo in 2017. Came on for the last 10 minutes. Didn't feature after that and went to Australia. As for Wall, he went to U.S last summer along with Silke which cost us dearly. Wall like Mcdaid are brilliant footballers and readers of the game.

With the new hand pass rule on the horizon, we'll need guys who are comfortable playing the foot pass. That comes down to natural footballing ability something these guys possess. The natural instinct of Molloy, Silke, Daly, Mcdaid and Wall is to move the ball by foot. That's why it will be crucial to have them on the pitch if we are to succeed next year.

If the man in possession is the recipient of the third hand pass, then he'll have to go to foot. A poor foot pass then will either cough up possession or lead to a concession of an easy score. That will be the reality of the game in next year's league. In that regard, we should be delighted to have these guys available for selection.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 17/11/2018 00:01:08    2151377

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Any way Maghnus Breatchnach will get another look in? Hes on a great run with An Spidéal, he captained the Galway junior team to Connacht title last year, voted onto the intermediate team of the year. He won the free to draw with Breachnachs in the last minute and kicked it himself....with the modern game looking for a keeper to run out, provide teh overlap and lay it off then he would be well suited?"
Fair play to him but don't think we go back there. Manus way too adventurous for inter county. Gave me some nervous moments over the years as was looking to exit his line far too often. We need stability in this area and between Lavelle and Power have two very decent keepers.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1640 - 17/11/2018 08:11:35    2151381

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Good post. All about opinions really. Nothing like a bit of competition for places. I just think that our half back line last year was outclassed against Dublin. I think a half back line of Molloy, Daly and Wall would have held their own and more against Dublin. Heaney had a great league but a very quiet championship. Molloy and Wall on either wing will offer more than Sweeney and Heaney. Thats just my opinion. Daly is also a natural number 6 and he should keep bradshaw on his toes.The lads who played there last year have been great servants and I appreciate their efforts but I think management need to try something different especially in this area. As for mcdaid, I think he is far too good a player to leave on the bench. He has the ability to play anywhere including at corner back. Kerins had a great 2018 but came unstuck against Paul mannion in the semi final. I just think mcdaid is a better footballer overall and if that means placing kerins on the bench then so be it. As for flynn, he played well in a few games Last year and is a good player but has drifted in and out of big games in the past. A Steede/Duggan midfield however is not a bad pairing. Steede in particular deserves a chance. Its incredible to think he has yet to be given a start at senior considering his achievements. We know what Flynn can do. I'd like to see Steede get a start in a league game and lets see what he can do. I suspect that he might give the same answer as Ian Burke when he eventually got his break. Anyway, there is no shortage of talent out there. Hopefully, we'll have another good year."
Agree in the main but Flynn is our best proven midfielder no question. Gets too much stick imo. Bottom line as you say though we have plenty of talent with seemingly better backup in our most problematic line the half back line.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1640 - 17/11/2018 09:34:36    2151387

Link

I'll get a bit of stick over this but I would give Declan Kyne a run for a fbd/league game at centre back. He is not a natural cornerback and is exposed in there. He is very strong though, physical and a much better footballer than he is given credit for. Most people here are nominating the likes of Wall, Heaney, Molloy, McDaid,Kelly or maybe even Brannigan for half back line and while they are all fine footballers and athletes someone has to mind the centre and that that player either needs very strong physical presence like Kyne or be excellent covering space maybe like Liam Silke or Bradshaw who did ok at it last year though don't think it's his natural game either. Anyone coming through the centre trying to burst though Kyne and then O Ceallaigh will be feeling sore. We did it before with Tomas Mannion moving from corner to centre though I fully appreciate Kyne is not in Tomas Mannion class. John Daly is a good long term shout but surely he would need a year on the panel to get up to speed with the pace and physicality of the higher level.
Re comments above on Flynn, I was a critic of him in the past just think he really stepped up to the plate last year and if he keeps that form he is a certain starter for me.
The good thing is though is while it's all about opinions the players we are all arguing in or out for are high level players and leagues ahead of what we have had for many years. K Walsh has put in a really good foundation and just hope we can kick on both with existing lads, some of the new lads being named but also I think it's clear to all that we need to develop our style of play so that we get more out of a very exciting bunch of forwards. The amount of chances we convert is a clear area of improvement for example. We should have been ahead of Dublin at half time last year for example

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 308 - 17/11/2018 10:10:41    2151390

Link

Mulkerrins is the best option for centre back...

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 17/11/2018 15:35:16    2151409

Link

Mulkerrins is the best option for centre back...

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 17/11/2018 15:36:32    2151410

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "Mulkerrins is the best option for centre back..."
The lad has no experience what so ever and you are going to play him centre back straight away he wasn't even centre back on a minor or U-21 team

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 18/11/2018 22:16:47    2151557

Link

Does anyone else think that Jason Leonard is good enough 2 play county. Is a good free taker but does have enough ability 2 get scores from play?

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 18/11/2018 22:41:02    2151562

Link

Davy Glennon playing football with Ballinasloe ? Might he be able do a job ?

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 20/11/2018 12:14:16    2151799

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Davy Glennon playing football with Ballinasloe ? Might he be able do a job ?"
his number 1 sport is hurling and he cant make the hurling team. how do you think he would do a job for the footballers??

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 20/11/2018 13:19:03    2151811

Link

Any lads in Intermediate worth a call up or run.

Garry Kelly always hitting big scores in championship, brilliant free takers and good from play. Surely he is a better option than McHugh and Paddy Sweeney?

Kelleher and Mathew Redington had good summers too.

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 245 - 20/11/2018 13:48:41    2151821

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Davy Glennon playing football with Ballinasloe ? Might he be able do a job ?"
You're a pure troll.. Glennon never kicked a ball and is definitely not playing for Ballinasloe or anyone.. Move on..

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 20/11/2018 14:31:47    2151828

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Does anyone else think that Jason Leonard is good enough 2 play county. Is a good free taker but does have enough ability 2 get scores from play?"
Leonard is a very good footballer. Consistently good for corofin. Excellent free taker as you say and always good for a few scores from play. Should be given a chance. He'd have no problem making the step up to county imo. Alot will depend on the corofin run in championship. If they go all the way to paddy's day then it's unlikely we'll see him in a maroon jersey under the current management.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 21/11/2018 00:14:04    2151928

Link

Leonard has looked good without excelling from play but he has what barry mchugh doesnt in pace and power to assist in the group defence we employ and also to be potentially one of the inside men who have to win ball one on one in space.....
all Barry bring unfortunately is the frees and he missed two big ones v rosscommon when pressure was on

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 560 - 21/11/2018 12:45:05    2151984

Link

Kieran Molloy excellent foot passing in the first half
Lundy still worth a rattle

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 25/11/2018 14:33:50    2152363

Link

Didn't see anything from any Corofin player today that would warrant a call up to the Galway panel. Made hard work of a poor Ballintuber team.

DaleWater (Galway) - Posts: 29 - 25/11/2018 16:24:10    2152370

Link

Liam silke . Kieran molloy and Ian Burke Thars all will make it ,, though Kieran molloy should definitely have got man of match was by far best player ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 353 - 25/11/2018 16:54:10    2152373

Link

U-20 final today - Rob finnerty and maher very quiet today looked average !
John daly was a class above everyone today , up and down the pitch all day some athelete!
Probably would of got mom if salthill hadnt won

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 63 - 25/11/2018 17:18:31    2152384

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Liam silke . Kieran molloy and Ian Burke Thars all will make it ,, though Kieran molloy should definitely have got man of match was by far best player ,,"
I agree Kickitout.

Corofin are a phenomenal team and club but I don't think anyone else other than Silke, Molloy and Ian Burke would make that Galway team. They have a gifted bunch of club player's but they never seemed to be able to make that step up to intercounty.

Young Silke possibly one for the future, he'll be with the u20s this year.

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 245 - 25/11/2018 19:19:03    2152394

Link