Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To galwayman2:  "Lundy was excellent (in my opinion anyway) in his first year with Galway in 2014.
He never scaled those heights again in subsequent seasons though."
Agree with this. If he performed like he did in 2014 he'd be in the starting 15 but based on his form since he'd be lucky to make the 26.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 14/11/2018 14:22:24    2151126

Link

Thankfully we don't need wholesale changes.

Contrary to what some posters think the forward line is only behind Dublin in terms of quality. It would be great if we could find another half forward of real quality but not the end of the world if we didn't,

The half back line is the obvious weakness but thankfully this where we have 4 potentially new players this year in Silke, Wall, Molloy & McDaid.

Lavelle doesn't get enough credit for his kickouts and likewise the kickout strategy improved as the season went on.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 14/11/2018 14:26:22    2151128

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Agree with this. If he performed like he did in 2014 he'd be in the starting 15 but based on his form since he'd be lucky to make the 26."
2014 was 5 years ago lads. Lundy had his chance and didn't take it. We move on.

DaleWater (Galway) - Posts: 29 - 14/11/2018 14:54:49    2151131

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "I refuse to debate anything Corofin related with you Belclare! In fairness you seem a well adjusted poster in general but when it comes to Corofin you permanently have the rose tinted spectacles on and lose any ability to think rationally.

Lundy is an above average club player who has had a very successful career to date. However, he never got going for Galway as he simply wasn't good enough despite being given many chances and was constantly over shadowed by more talented forwards like Danny Cummins."
In fairness to Belclare, he is entitled to his opinion. A refusal to debate with him the pros and cons of selecting particular players is not very rational. Lundy is possibly on course to win a third all ireland club medal. An amazing achievement in itself if they manage to pull it off. He is part of a team that is probably one of the greatest to ever grace the game. Anybody who finds this hard to accept has a very poor understanding of the game imo.

Lundy is a class footballer who was carrying a few niggling injuries for the last 2 years. He appears to be coming back to his best which is a plus. Let's see how he gets on with corofin. If he's going well, then he should be given another chance. There's no guarantee, he'd start but he's defo good enough to be an impact sub.

The new rules will mean that to succeed next year, the ability of players to accurately execute the foot pass will be crucial. Lundy, like his corofin colleagues are streets ahead of the hand pass merchants in most other teams. They play the game the way it should be played, if you want to win and be a success. Its also the way most supporters want the game to be played. Were it not for the corofin's or the Dublin's of the game, the game would be in serious trouble. Their style of football should be applauded. I'm not a corofin man but we should all get behind them as they are credit to Galway football.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 14/11/2018 16:39:04    2151145

Link

I have watched a lot of the club championship this year and have been very impressed by a lot of the younger lads. John Maher from S/K looks to be a very direct and clever player and someone who I look forward to seeing in a maroon jersey. Powerful runner. Agreed that Dylan wall is a very intelligent and talented player who deserves a chance with Galway. Very impressive in the county final when going forward. Not enough seem of him defending to put him into a county setup. Seen Oisin o Brien vs Corofin thought he asked more questions off a Corofin defence than any other forward has this year. Gearoid Armstrong lookes to really have upped his game this year and looks to be a very powerful figure going forward.
Some who I feel stood out from the games I have been at this year. Gaillimh Abú

illplayanywhere (Galway) - Posts: 22 - 14/11/2018 22:08:58    2151170

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "In fairness to Belclare, he is entitled to his opinion. A refusal to debate with him the pros and cons of selecting particular players is not very rational. Lundy is possibly on course to win a third all ireland club medal. An amazing achievement in itself if they manage to pull it off. He is part of a team that is probably one of the greatest to ever grace the game. Anybody who finds this hard to accept has a very poor understanding of the game imo.

Lundy is a class footballer who was carrying a few niggling injuries for the last 2 years. He appears to be coming back to his best which is a plus. Let's see how he gets on with corofin. If he's going well, then he should be given another chance. There's no guarantee, he'd start but he's defo good enough to be an impact sub.

The new rules will mean that to succeed next year, the ability of players to accurately execute the foot pass will be crucial. Lundy, like his corofin colleagues are streets ahead of the hand pass merchants in most other teams. They play the game the way it should be played, if you want to win and be a success. Its also the way most supporters want the game to be played. Were it not for the corofin's or the Dublin's of the game, the game would be in serious trouble. Their style of football should be applauded. I'm not a corofin man but we should all get behind them as they are credit to Galway football."
Lavelle
Kerin O'Ceallaigh L.Silke
Wall/Molloy Bradshaw/Heaney C.McDaid
Conroy Flynn
Daly Cooke Kelly/Brannigan
Burke Comer Walsh

Subs: Power, M. Breathnach, Kyne, J.Daly, Sweeney, O'Donnell, O'Corrain, Darcy, Duggan, Varley, Cummins, McHugh,

Wall, McDaid, J,.Daly new introductions to panel.
30 good footballers above and good competition for places. Our back line in general has not been attacking or dynamic enough to get to the level of Dublin. Mayo's back line was the one reason they put it up to Dublin. We now have loads of players who can play in both half forward line and half back line and this competition will improve all these players. L.Silke has the capabilities to be a K.Higgins/Philly type of corner back and attack a lot like he does with Corofin. I think Cooke can add creativity at centre forward - he has good vision and kick pass and will compliment the lads inside well. Pray that Corofin success won't impede Wall/Molloy's chances and they get some league time as they are vital to the panel.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 14/11/2018 23:16:04    2151177

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Thankfully we don't need wholesale changes.

Contrary to what some posters think the forward line is only behind Dublin in terms of quality. It would be great if we could find another half forward of real quality but not the end of the world if we didn't,

The half back line is the obvious weakness but thankfully this where we have 4 potentially new players this year in Silke, Wall, Molloy & McDaid.

Lavelle doesn't get enough credit for his kickouts and likewise the kickout strategy improved as the season went on."
Lavelle is prone to the odd howler under a high ball or a mixup in his square but his kickouts in particular 50,60 yard floaters to a man on the run's chest are leagues ahead of 99% of keepers.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 14/11/2018 23:34:09    2151179

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Lavelle is prone to the odd howler under a high ball or a mixup in his square but his kickouts in particular 50,60 yard floaters to a man on the run's chest are leagues ahead of 99% of keepers."
Any way Maghnus Breatchnach will get another look in? Hes on a great run with An Spidéal, he captained the Galway junior team to Connacht title last year, voted onto the intermediate team of the year. He won the free to draw with Breachnachs in the last minute and kicked it himself....with the modern game looking for a keeper to run out, provide teh overlap and lay it off then he would be well suited?

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 607 - 15/11/2018 10:10:28    2151196

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Lavelle
Kerin O'Ceallaigh L.Silke
Wall/Molloy Bradshaw/Heaney C.McDaid
Conroy Flynn
Daly Cooke Kelly/Brannigan
Burke Comer Walsh

Subs: Power, M. Breathnach, Kyne, J.Daly, Sweeney, O'Donnell, O'Corrain, Darcy, Duggan, Varley, Cummins, McHugh,

Wall, McDaid, J,.Daly new introductions to panel.
30 good footballers above and good competition for places. Our back line in general has not been attacking or dynamic enough to get to the level of Dublin. Mayo's back line was the one reason they put it up to Dublin. We now have loads of players who can play in both half forward line and half back line and this competition will improve all these players. L.Silke has the capabilities to be a K.Higgins/Philly type of corner back and attack a lot like he does with Corofin. I think Cooke can add creativity at centre forward - he has good vision and kick pass and will compliment the lads inside well. Pray that Corofin success won't impede Wall/Molloy's chances and they get some league time as they are vital to the panel."
We may have loads of quality backs at our disposal but my fear is that if corofin progress, we will hear the usual manure that it will be too late to integrate them or not fair on the players who have been training with panel since December. Or the classic excuse . . Just because you are a great club player doesn't mean you will do it at county. An excuse that was given for the exclusion of Ian Burke for 3 years before he got his chance.

We have to learn from our mistakes and put our best 15 out on the pitch. We need to bring in at least 6 new backs and 2/3 forwards onto panel. The team should be selected on form and ability.

My team
Power
Silke, SAC, Mcdaid
Molloy, Daly, Wall
Duggan, Steede
Daly, Walsh, Kelly
Burke, Comer, Mannion

Subs Farraghers, Varley, Cooke, Flynn, Kirrane, kerins, Conroy, Bradshaw, Kyne, Cunningham, Leonard, Mchugh, Lundy and lavelle

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 15/11/2018 15:40:41    2151240

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Any way Maghnus Breatchnach will get another look in? Hes on a great run with An Spidéal, he captained the Galway junior team to Connacht title last year, voted onto the intermediate team of the year. He won the free to draw with Breachnachs in the last minute and kicked it himself....with the modern game looking for a keeper to run out, provide teh overlap and lay it off then he would be well suited?"
Aside from all of that, his kick-outs have also been excellent. An Spidéal don't have a big midfield, but have managed to retain posession very well in the games to-date.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 597 - 15/11/2018 15:46:29    2151241

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "We may have loads of quality backs at our disposal but my fear is that if corofin progress, we will hear the usual manure that it will be too late to integrate them or not fair on the players who have been training with panel since December. Or the classic excuse . . Just because you are a great club player doesn't mean you will do it at county. An excuse that was given for the exclusion of Ian Burke for 3 years before he got his chance.

We have to learn from our mistakes and put our best 15 out on the pitch. We need to bring in at least 6 new backs and 2/3 forwards onto panel. The team should be selected on form and ability.

My team
Power
Silke, SAC, Mcdaid
Molloy, Daly, Wall
Duggan, Steede
Daly, Walsh, Kelly
Burke, Comer, Mannion

Subs Farraghers, Varley, Cooke, Flynn, Kirrane, kerins, Conroy, Bradshaw, Kyne, Cunningham, Leonard, Mchugh, Lundy and lavelle"
McDaid at corner back instead of Eoghan Kerin? McDaid is an attacking wing back or a forward and is totally unproven at this level yet although is a great prospect. Kerin has been brilliant for us. No Heaney at all who has been one of our best players(he couldn't manage Jack McCaffrey but who could). Cathal Sweeney is getting written off too easily, agree he is under pressure but there was very few games where he was bettered. Flynn was one of the best midfielders in the country last year and is proven unlike Steede(though I'd give him a shot in league to see how he went). Forwards look tasty but I'd try someone like Heaney or maybe McDaid together with Kelly to work up and down the pitch and allow Comer and Burke to stay as close to goal as possible. All in all there is a good squad of players there

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 308 - 15/11/2018 20:52:00    2151262

Link

Don't think I would write Kyne off either
Not a lot wrong with the fullback line this year
Kyne is the type of hardy man marker we didn't have in the noughties that we could well have done with
I would have him in anyway
A lot of the fullback line bad press comes from a porous half back line

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 15/11/2018 21:03:02    2151264

Link

My stab at a preferred team for 2019.
Lavelle
L.silke Sean Andy Kerin
Molloy Wall McDaid
Duggan Flynn
Kelly Conroy Daly
Burke Comer Walsh

A lot of players people think should be starting left out but any team looking to win anything has to have that problem. A lot of quality on the bench chomping at the bit to get in should anyone have an off day. Look at the Dubs, its a squad game now.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 15/11/2018 21:27:12    2151268

Link

I think we definitely need get more pace in halfback line Liam silke , molloy definitely start in my opinion think Heaney still good enough would not dismiss Brannigan at all think he good player I would expect at least 10-11 of last year team that played semi final to start championship next year and think they should we need prob 4-5 lads to freshen things up like most counties do and I believe we have a panel now to get back to semi final again and we need that consistency to build a good team

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 15/11/2018 22:42:25    2151272

Link

Some lads absolutely losing the run of themselves looking for McDaid and Wall to just go straight into the team. They havent played a competitive game for Galway yet... And if someone tells me Mcdaid played FBD well that is hardly the most comparable thing to championship is it ? Its good to have the competition but can some of ye try apply to rational thinking.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 16/11/2018 09:30:03    2151286

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "McDaid at corner back instead of Eoghan Kerin? McDaid is an attacking wing back or a forward and is totally unproven at this level yet although is a great prospect. Kerin has been brilliant for us. No Heaney at all who has been one of our best players(he couldn't manage Jack McCaffrey but who could). Cathal Sweeney is getting written off too easily, agree he is under pressure but there was very few games where he was bettered. Flynn was one of the best midfielders in the country last year and is proven unlike Steede(though I'd give him a shot in league to see how he went). Forwards look tasty but I'd try someone like Heaney or maybe McDaid together with Kelly to work up and down the pitch and allow Comer and Burke to stay as close to goal as possible. All in all there is a good squad of players there"
Hard to take anyone seriously not having Flynn & Kerin in their starting 15. Kerin & Flynn are guaranteed starters, Kerin has been for a few years a top player and Flynn last year came of age and is now Galway's best midfielder.

Cathal Sweeney had a good year but might be under pressure from one of the younger lads but will still see a lot of game time next year.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 16/11/2018 10:13:49    2151289

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Some lads absolutely losing the run of themselves looking for McDaid and Wall to just go straight into the team. They havent played a competitive game for Galway yet... And if someone tells me Mcdaid played FBD well that is hardly the most comparable thing to championship is it ? Its good to have the competition but can some of ye try apply to rational thinking."
Mcdaid has already played championship and should be starting for sure.

Dunmore10 (Galway) - Posts: 37 - 16/11/2018 10:31:15    2151294

Link

I am still not convinced by Flynn. He can be anonymous in most games I see him play, is not driven or aggressive enough and is too easily dispossessed e.g. the Mayo championship game this year where be was subbed and then brought back on. Admittedly he did play better when reintroduced but it shouldn't come to being subbed first. McDaid, Silke, Molloy, Wall, Leonard and John Daly would all be welcome additions. I would try Duggan and Darcy at midfield. My starting 15 would be: Power, Kerin, O'Ceallaigh, Silke, McDaid, Molloy, Wall, Duggan, Darcy, Walsh, M. Daly, Kelly, Burke, Comer, Leonard.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2267 - 16/11/2018 12:20:18    2151304

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I am still not convinced by Flynn. He can be anonymous in most games I see him play, is not driven or aggressive enough and is too easily dispossessed e.g. the Mayo championship game this year where be was subbed and then brought back on. Admittedly he did play better when reintroduced but it shouldn't come to being subbed first. McDaid, Silke, Molloy, Wall, Leonard and John Daly would all be welcome additions. I would try Duggan and Darcy at midfield. My starting 15 would be: Power, Kerin, O'Ceallaigh, Silke, McDaid, Molloy, Wall, Duggan, Darcy, Walsh, M. Daly, Kelly, Burke, Comer, Leonard."
I think Flynn was excellent throughout 2018 and will be first choice midfielder for 2019.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 16/11/2018 15:16:01    2151329

Link

lavelle way better keeper than power Heaney will be playing Sean kelly had good year as i said in earlier post at least 10 prob 11 of team that played v Dublin will start this year championship and rightly so no need go mad making lots changes need 3 new defenders that woukd make big impact after that is just about getting more out of what is all ready there and progressing our style of play to get the best out of them

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 16/11/2018 15:39:48    2151334

Link