Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

heard there was trials yesterday. Anyone able to shed any information on who attended?

jd6220 (Galway) - Posts: 39 - 12/11/2018 12:58:48    2150754

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Jason Leonard and Martin Farragher worth a look along with Dylan Wall. People will say that they may struggle to make the step up but they are so so far ahead of opposition at club level they have to get a run in Jan/Feb at the very least. Dylan Wall purely for his ability to play at the back as well as up top is impressive. Dont rule out B Mcugh just yet. Gearoid Mc was a long time around the galway hurling panel before he became a regular starter. Everyone seem incredibly excited about Mcdaid but sure plenty of lads were good minors and u21s and didnt do much after. Would hope they can unearth a new midfielder to go with Flynn. FOC wasnt up too a great deal pre injury at least."
Same issue for Corofin players every year. They've probably 10 lads on their team who are arguably as good as the lads on the Intercounty panel - Steed, Wall, Molloy, Leonard etc but they'll likely be unavailable until the end of March. It's very hard for Kevin Walsh to come along next April or May and say to lads who have been training all year that they are parachuting in lads from Corofin. It's fine in a special case like Ian Burke who has to start when available. It's a different kettle of fish for a lot of the others and its easier for squad harmony to go with the lads you have had all year.

If Corofin had gone out in Galway a month ago ive no doubt you would see 7 or 8 of them in the FBD league.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 12/11/2018 13:13:38    2150759

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Same issue for Corofin players every year. They've probably 10 lads on their team who are arguably as good as the lads on the Intercounty panel - Steed, Wall, Molloy, Leonard etc but they'll likely be unavailable until the end of March. It's very hard for Kevin Walsh to come along next April or May and say to lads who have been training all year that they are parachuting in lads from Corofin. It's fine in a special case like Ian Burke who has to start when available. It's a different kettle of fish for a lot of the others and its easier for squad harmony to go with the lads you have had all year.

If Corofin had gone out in Galway a month ago ive no doubt you would see 7 or 8 of them in the FBD league."
The other side if that of that is the Corofin player coming into replace the player that has been player since March might be of better quality. U need ur best players in the pitch and i'm sure the player that is being replaced should be able 2 understand why he is being replaced as the player that is replacing brings diffefent qualities. There shouldn't be any egos involved all the players should be putting Galway football first. Remember what John O'Mahony said on any given Sunday the players were doing it for Galway!.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 12/11/2018 14:43:12    2150785

Link

So to recap....the last 4-5 pages on this thread have made no suggestions for new players for 2019!

Class...

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 607 - 12/11/2018 16:34:48    2150815

Link

I'n my opinion prob 4 -5 corofin lads will make Galway panel this year Liam silke , Dylan wall , Kieran molloy ,, Ian Burke ( I would start all 4 ) maybe Bernard power sub but I'm not convinced by him my opinion again they are a class team but I don't think anymore of them better than what is there all ready ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 12/11/2018 17:34:02    2150833

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I'n my opinion prob 4 -5 corofin lads will make Galway panel this year Liam silke , Dylan wall , Kieran molloy ,, Ian Burke ( I would start all 4 ) maybe Bernard power sub but I'm not convinced by him my opinion again they are a class team but I don't think anymore of them better than what is there all ready ,,"
I was impressed by Power yesterday, granted the opposition weren't up to much but his kick outs were inch perfect apart from maybe 2. There was one particular kick that dropped in front of Kieran Molloy as he ran past midfield and into the Clann 45, Lavelle has improved this year but the mistakes he made playing for Salthill this summer didn't fill me with confidence.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 12/11/2018 21:04:25    2150866

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I'n my opinion prob 4 -5 corofin lads will make Galway panel this year Liam silke , Dylan wall , Kieran molloy ,, Ian Burke ( I would start all 4 ) maybe Bernard power sub but I'm not convinced by him my opinion again they are a class team but I don't think anymore of them better than what is there all ready ,,"
Ya burke is the stand out. Wall and Molloy arent far off by the look of things, id agree 5 max might make the panel

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 395 - 12/11/2018 23:05:13    2150879

Link

A freshening up of the back 6 needed in my opinion with McDaid Molloy and Wall all starting. There is good options in midfield for the first time in a while and there is undoubtedly talent up front. Its not that big a project just a few new fitter players in key positions and i think this team could go and improve on last year.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 12/11/2018 23:45:53    2150883

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "So to recap....the last 4-5 pages on this thread have made no suggestions for new players for 2019!

Class..."
You obviously wanted to say that for a while, so I hope u feel better now.

To recap (as you'd say yourself) mcdaid & Silke were mentioned, molloy & wall also and that's before ask the young lads that have been suggested that may or may not be ready ...... mulkerrins, Murphy, John Daly......

3 new players would be big difference. I think we have a lot to be hopeful about.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1035 - 13/11/2018 04:43:25    2150885

Link

Stab at a championship 15...way too early but anyway

Lavelle

FB: Sweeney/Kyne, SAC, Kerin

HB: Molloy/Wall, Bradshaw, Silke

MF: Flynn, Duggan, Conroy

HF: McDaid, Daly, Walsh

FF: Burke, Comer.

Cover: Heaney, Kelly (backs)
Cooke, FOC (MF)
Brannigan, Varley (forwards)

Would like to see Silke corner back but we know he loves Kyne and Sweeney and will likely keep one. Possible springers over Bradshaw are Mulkerrin or John Daly but maybe a year too soon. He's always played 3 midfielders when having options available. Cien Darcy also for MF. McDaid to be the workhorse in the forwards, leaving the other 4 up hopefully. Just ideas, don't shoot me

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 91 - 13/11/2018 10:36:08    2150913

Link

The Micháel Lundy interview with the Irish Independent provides for amusing reading today. Interesting to see him leave the door open for himself for a return to the Galway set up. No where near good enough for the panel.

DaleWater (Galway) - Posts: 29 - 13/11/2018 13:20:36    2150947

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "The Micháel Lundy interview with the Irish Independent provides for amusing reading today. Interesting to see him leave the door open for himself for a return to the Galway set up. No where near good enough for the panel."
How's your own career going? The man has All Ireland medals in his back pocket and has played for Galway. His form thi year has improved so yes he is well good enough for a place on the panel

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 13/11/2018 14:18:43    2150959

Link

Heard 1,2 of the Sweeneys pulled out. Anyone else?

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 13/11/2018 14:43:02    2150961

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "How's your own career going? The man has All Ireland medals in his back pocket and has played for Galway. His form thi year has improved so yes he is well good enough for a place on the panel"
Just for once can you please leave your club bias aside

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 13/11/2018 15:41:02    2150973

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "How's your own career going? The man has All Ireland medals in his back pocket and has played for Galway. His form thi year has improved so yes he is well good enough for a place on the panel"
I refuse to debate anything Corofin related with you Belclare! In fairness you seem a well adjusted poster in general but when it comes to Corofin you permanently have the rose tinted spectacles on and lose any ability to think rationally.

Lundy is an above average club player who has had a very successful career to date. However, he never got going for Galway as he simply wasn't good enough despite being given many chances and was constantly over shadowed by more talented forwards like Danny Cummins.

DaleWater (Galway) - Posts: 29 - 13/11/2018 15:53:27    2150974

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "I refuse to debate anything Corofin related with you Belclare! In fairness you seem a well adjusted poster in general but when it comes to Corofin you permanently have the rose tinted spectacles on and lose any ability to think rationally.

Lundy is an above average club player who has had a very successful career to date. However, he never got going for Galway as he simply wasn't good enough despite being given many chances and was constantly over shadowed by more talented forwards like Danny Cummins."
Lundy well worth another shot
Thought he did really good in the few minutes he was on v Mayo in 2017
Hope he gets another shot

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 13/11/2018 19:32:35    2151004

Link

Is John Daly close? Has potential to be a solid 6 for Galway in years to come. My view would be to introduce him to panel now in order to build up physically and get used to pace of intercounty football.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 13/11/2018 21:16:37    2151028

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "The Micháel Lundy interview with the Irish Independent provides for amusing reading today. Interesting to see him leave the door open for himself for a return to the Galway set up. No where near good enough for the panel."
Did you read the article or just the headline? He was asked the question and said "We'll see how this goes,"
"Hopefully we'll have a long run here with Corofin and then you never know what could happen." In other words, he's happy enough with the way things are going with the club, next question please. He was hardly going to give an outright no was he

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 13/11/2018 21:47:07    2151035

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "I refuse to debate anything Corofin related with you Belclare! In fairness you seem a well adjusted poster in general but when it comes to Corofin you permanently have the rose tinted spectacles on and lose any ability to think rationally.

Lundy is an above average club player who has had a very successful career to date. However, he never got going for Galway as he simply wasn't good enough despite being given many chances and was constantly over shadowed by more talented forwards like Danny Cummins."
Lundy was excellent (in my opinion anyway) in his first year with Galway in 2014.
He never scaled those heights again in subsequent seasons though.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 650 - 14/11/2018 09:31:49    2151085

Link

The Keegan shenanigans on him in the 2015 championship game in Salthill seemed to present point of no return. He was targeted that day after his outstanding club year with Corofin. Too soft we were but would not happen now. Won't be bullied.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1640 - 14/11/2018 13:14:59    2151119

Link