Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Triffic:  "To clarify the point I'm trying to make, I'm saying that any promising young player *from a club with little tradition* with ambitions to progress in the game and perhaps play at county level needs to be playing at as high a club level as possible in order to improve. In other words, mainly but not exclusively, hurlers from football areas or vice versa. This is nothing new or radical, simply common sense. There's loads of examples, e.g. Bosco McDermott from Williamstown played with Fr. Griffins when the former were very weak at club level, Ruairi Lavelle moved from Renvyle to Salthill, JP Dullaghan from Mountbellew played Minor with Galway but played practically all his adult hurling in goal for Turlough'. Didn't Tadhg Haran start out with Salthill? I know it can be tough on smaller clubs with lesser resources, but the players themselves must make the call.
Whereas Shane Walsh is from a strong football area, and K/C have been Senior for a number of years at least, Athenry haven't been Senior in many years, if at all, (they did amalgamate with Monivea for a season once I think), and football there is very neglected, pretty much the team is picked on whoever shows up on the day."
Lavelle isn't a direct comparison at all. He's not from Renvyle. His home place doesn't have an adult club, so he can choose his team. Based on where he lives now, Salthill is his choice.
If a player's club has an adult team who are competing, then he should play for them.
This "tradition" argument is completely subjective, and could be interpreted any way you want. How can you say that a club who were in the intermediate final only 3 years ago don't have tradition?

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 581 - 25/10/2018 15:34:17    2148304

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "Was that last line aimed at me? You are aware Flynn is teaching and living in Claregalway? Have heard from several sources he'll tog with Claregalway next year."
HE neither teaches or lives in claregalway. Get your facts right

jd6220 (Galway) - Posts: 39 - 25/10/2018 16:20:59    2148309

Link

Replying To jd6220:  "HE neither teaches or lives in claregalway. Get your facts right"
I heard he is transferring but to Oranmore and not Claregalway

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 242 - 25/10/2018 20:48:42    2148329

Link

Replying To Triffic:  "To clarify the point I'm trying to make, I'm saying that any promising young player *from a club with little tradition* with ambitions to progress in the game and perhaps play at county level needs to be playing at as high a club level as possible in order to improve. In other words, mainly but not exclusively, hurlers from football areas or vice versa. This is nothing new or radical, simply common sense. There's loads of examples, e.g. Bosco McDermott from Williamstown played with Fr. Griffins when the former were very weak at club level, Ruairi Lavelle moved from Renvyle to Salthill, JP Dullaghan from Mountbellew played Minor with Galway but played practically all his adult hurling in goal for Turlough'. Didn't Tadhg Haran start out with Salthill? I know it can be tough on smaller clubs with lesser resources, but the players themselves must make the call.
Whereas Shane Walsh is from a strong football area, and K/C have been Senior for a number of years at least, Athenry haven't been Senior in many years, if at all, (they did amalgamate with Monivea for a season once I think), and football there is very neglected, pretty much the team is picked on whoever shows up on the day."
Tom Flynn has been invited into the Galway hurling panel on numerous instances in the last few years, as has Damien Comer. I think it would save him a lot more hassle to transfer county code than club team.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 26/10/2018 16:07:13    2148381

Link

Move on Move on please
topic is new players for 2019

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1055 - 26/10/2018 17:19:53    2148392

Link

Have been at the last 3 mountbellew games and i must say ive been very impressed with John daly ! Easly the man of the match in all 3 games !
He is playing his way into the senior set up and can defo see him getting the call in!
With His reading of the game, driving runs and accurate kick passing i could see him as galways future centre back

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 63 - 29/10/2018 18:02:38    2148625

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "Have been at the last 3 mountbellew games and i must say ive been very impressed with John daly ! Easly the man of the match in all 3 games !
He is playing his way into the senior set up and can defo see him getting the call in!
With His reading of the game, driving runs and accurate kick passing i could see him as galways future centre back"
I presume John Daly is Micheal's son and does he always play in the half backline?

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 29/10/2018 18:17:53    2148628

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "I presume John Daly is Micheal's son and does he always play in the half backline?"
Michaels brother and Val's son I think, you meant to say there! He usually plays number 6, midfield from time to time at underage but generally in defence.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 29/10/2018 18:51:00    2148631

Link

Replying To GalwayLurker:  "Michaels brother and Val's son I think, you meant to say there! He usually plays number 6, midfield from time to time at underage but generally in defence."
Just realised my mistake after posting apologise. Do u think John could be a an option at 6 next year as I feel Gareth Bradshaw even though had a solid year could not track Ciarian Kilkenny in the semi final!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 29/10/2018 20:13:58    2148638

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Just realised my mistake after posting apologise. Do u think John could be a an option at 6 next year as I feel Gareth Bradshaw even though had a solid year could not track Ciarian Kilkenny in the semi final!"
Bit raw and inexperienced yet, I saw Dylan Wall play there a few times this year and he looks like a fair prospect but if Corofin go on a run in the club championship it probably won't happens this year. He's lightening quick and can mark too.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 29/10/2018 21:25:37    2148649

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "
Lavelle isn't a direct comparison at all. He's not from Renvyle. His home place doesn't have an adult club, so he can choose his team. Based on where he lives now, Salthill is his choice.
If a player's club has an adult team who are competing, then he should play for them.
This "tradition" argument is completely subjective, and could be interpreted any way you want. How can you say that a club who were in the intermediate final only 3 years ago don't have tradition?"
This "tradition" argument is completely subjective, and could be interpreted any way you want. How can you say that a club who were in the intermediate final only 3 years ago don't have tradition?
WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 309 - 25/10/2018 15:34:17

Lavelle is from Inish Boffin which is within the Renvyle catchment area,Renvyle have an adult team competing at Junior.If They wanted They could have blocked his transfer, otherwise he would have to show proof he was living in the Salthill/Knocknacarra area for a certain period of time.

otto (Galway) - Posts: 189 - 30/10/2018 13:24:17    2148720

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Just realised my mistake after posting apologise. Do u think John could be a an option at 6 next year as I feel Gareth Bradshaw even though had a solid year could not track Ciarian Kilkenny in the semi final!"
Ofcourse sure hes a way better footballer than bradshaw who is past it now ! He bullied whoever he was marking in the last 3 games for mountbellew and his reading of the game is just a joy to watch!
Better to have him at 6 and let him grow into his potential rather than have bradshaw who is past improving!
Im not saying start him straight away but give him a few league games and see how he gets on

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 63 - 30/10/2018 16:02:21    2148748

Link

Team that I would pick for 2019

1.Lavelle
2.Silke
3.O'Ceallaigh
4.Kerin
5.Molloy
6.Wall
7.Heaney
8.Conroy
9.Flynn
10.Daly
11.Walsh
12.Kelly
13.Burke
14.Comer
15.Mchugh/Mcdaid

Can't decide between Mcdaid and Mchugh I know Mcdaid played wing back for under 21's but had played in the forwards for seniors before he went 2 Australia. I know I have questioned commitment of Corofin players in the past but if they are serious about playing for Galway and are called in they sgould accept invitation and yes before u start bashing me yes Walsh needs 2 pick them.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 11/11/2018 18:45:07    2150634

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Team that I would pick for 2019

1.Lavelle
2.Silke
3.O'Ceallaigh
4.Kerin
5.Molloy
6.Wall
7.Heaney
8.Conroy
9.Flynn
10.Daly
11.Walsh
12.Kelly
13.Burke
14.Comer
15.Mchugh/Mcdaid

Can't decide between Mcdaid and Mchugh I know Mcdaid played wing back for under 21's but had played in the forwards for seniors before he went 2 Australia. I know I have questioned commitment of Corofin players in the past but if they are serious about playing for Galway and are called in they sgould accept invitation and yes before u start bashing me yes Walsh needs 2 pick them."
Would have McDaid in for Heaney. I would also have Jason Leonard for McHugh as he is a good free taker and poses a bigger scoring threat from open play. Otherwise it's a strong team.

Junior70 (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 11/11/2018 20:10:49    2150655

Link

Corofin have no problem letting Daithí Burke going on a friendly the other side of the world, but won't release players for some FBD and league matches in order to stake a claim. They have to change this as the players ultimately suffer. Not saying all games, just some.

galwaydublin (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 11/11/2018 20:52:34    2150667

Link

Replying To galwaydublin:  "Corofin have no problem letting Daithí Burke going on a friendly the other side of the world, but won't release players for some FBD and league matches in order to stake a claim. They have to change this as the players ultimately suffer. Not saying all games, just some."
In fairness 2 Corofin that game over in Australia wouldn't have been that competitive amd Daithi Burke probably had less of a chance getting injured. I could be wrong as I didn't sed the highlights but I do agree with ur point they should release their players 2 play county during FBD and League they wouldn't have 2 start but just to come off the bench for 15 or 20 mins!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 11/11/2018 21:38:33    2150678

Link

couldnt stop daithi if they wanted to id say!!
cant see mchugh playing for galway again- yes he brings frees to the partybutnotawhole lot else in comparison to leonard, mcdaid, fully fit michael daly rob finnerty etc

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 554 - 11/11/2018 21:45:39    2150681

Link

Jason Leonard and Martin Farragher worth a look along with Dylan Wall. People will say that they may struggle to make the step up but they are so so far ahead of opposition at club level they have to get a run in Jan/Feb at the very least. Dylan Wall purely for his ability to play at the back as well as up top is impressive. Dont rule out B Mcugh just yet. Gearoid Mc was a long time around the galway hurling panel before he became a regular starter. Everyone seem incredibly excited about Mcdaid but sure plenty of lads were good minors and u21s and didnt do much after. Would hope they can unearth a new midfielder to go with Flynn. FOC wasnt up too a great deal pre injury at least.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 12/11/2018 10:51:31    2150732

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "In fairness 2 Corofin that game over in Australia wouldn't have been that competitive amd Daithi Burke probably had less of a chance getting injured. I could be wrong as I didn't sed the highlights but I do agree with ur point they should release their players 2 play county during FBD and League they wouldn't have 2 start but just to come off the bench for 15 or 20 mins!"
Easier said than done I'd imagine, to release players from a club setup preparing for an all-ireland semi-final. which is likely where Corofin will be in early 2019. A host of key players from great club hurling sides like Sarsfields, Athenry & Portumna couldn't positively impact the county setup for years. Corofin are in the exact same boat currently. Seems to be a huge challenge in either code, for a county setup to extract anything like the notional potential that seems to exist in these hugely successful powerhouse club sides. Ian Burke made the step up this year of course, and might have 'arrived' on the national scene sooner, if he'd been utilized earlier.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 12/11/2018 11:29:13    2150737

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Easier said than done I'd imagine, to release players from a club setup preparing for an all-ireland semi-final. which is likely where Corofin will be in early 2019. A host of key players from great club hurling sides like Sarsfields, Athenry & Portumna couldn't positively impact the county setup for years. Corofin are in the exact same boat currently. Seems to be a huge challenge in either code, for a county setup to extract anything like the notional potential that seems to exist in these hugely successful powerhouse club sides. Ian Burke made the step up this year of course, and might have 'arrived' on the national scene sooner, if he'd been utilized earlier."
Very true but we will never how good they are unlezs they are tried. People have been asking for Dylan Wall and Kieran Molloy to be in the team throw them in see how they get on but it does come back 2 Kevin Walsh not picking them not a critcism kn Walsh but he obviously sees something in tranning that we don't.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 12/11/2018 12:19:11    2150747

Link