Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To EDH:  "No."
Heard he did very well against johnny cooper

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 394 - 22/10/2018 22:23:11    2147798

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Heard he did very well against johnny cooper"
He was the standout player in that game for the Underdogs, but it's hard to judge based such a game.
What should be more relevant is that he did play very well for James' against Corofin a few weeks ago.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 581 - 23/10/2018 06:36:06    2147822

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "He was the standout player in that game for the Underdogs, but it's hard to judge based such a game.
What should be more relevant is that he did play very well for James' against Corofin a few weeks ago."
Thought he was very poor for the underdogs and is not at the level required. They will no doubt bring him in for a look but the FBD will be as much as he will get.

Best of luck to him all the same.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 23/10/2018 10:46:10    2147852

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "is St James' Fintan Ó Cuanaigh of the underdogs up to it??"
Not good enough for Galway, he ticks every single box to make it apart from he can't kick a ball which was very noticeable on Friday night, his kicking was dreadful. Other than that he's a very good footballer.

I'm looking forward to next year already, we've got a few reasons to think we can close the gap on the Dubs.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 23/10/2018 12:34:29    2147879

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "He was the standout player in that game for the Underdogs, but it's hard to judge based such a game.
What should be more relevant is that he did play very well for James' against Corofin a few weeks ago."
He probably deserves a call up applying for the underdogs shows he has the drive fair play to him for putting himself out there.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 394 - 23/10/2018 12:50:57    2147884

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Tom Flynn fielded oodles of marks around the middle and Duggan rowed in with plenty. I don't see that sector as the issue at all is Cooke kicks on and conroy comes back fit."
With the downward direction of Athenry football club, Flynn really needs to start living in places such as Tuam, Corofin, Annaghdown etc. to improve any. Lining out with Athenry was never going to bring him on as a player.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 23/10/2018 13:40:33    2147900

Link

Replying To Triffic:  "With the downward direction of Athenry football club, Flynn really needs to start living in places such as Tuam, Corofin, Annaghdown etc. to improve any. Lining out with Athenry was never going to bring him on as a player."
Heard Tom Flynn is joining Claregalway next year.

That move would work out for all parties. They're Senior club in need of a midfielder and he's in need of a club that's operating above Junior level.

DaleWater (Galway) - Posts: 29 - 23/10/2018 15:53:36    2147926

Link

I don't think Tom Flynn has 2 leave Athenry to improve he be training all the time with county anyway think if that trend was 2 start or in anyway let happen by county board it would spell the end of lots of rural clubs , if ur good enough with right attitude u will make it regardless if it junior or senior u play obviously it woukd be better 2 be playing senior but the day u loose sight of where u come from and where u started out is the begging of the end , just look at Galway minor under 17 hurling this year they were from all over the county many from what one woukd describe as football areas so if ur good enough u will get the opportunity,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 23/10/2018 16:06:33    2147928

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "He probably deserves a call up applying for the underdogs shows he has the drive fair play to him for putting himself out there."
That Cuanaigh lad is an average club player at best.
James are a top 8 team in Galway and he is a mid level performer for them, he may have done well against Corofin but they never left 2nd gear so I would rank him at all.
He had plenty of opportunity at underage.

One thing i noticed on underdogs was how much ball he gave away with aimless kicks, at county level we cant afford such easy turn overs.

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 23/10/2018 16:11:53    2147930

Link

Replying To Triffic:  "With the downward direction of Athenry football club, Flynn really needs to start living in places such as Tuam, Corofin, Annaghdown etc. to improve any. Lining out with Athenry was never going to bring him on as a player."
Sure county lads barely line out for their clubs at all anymore so it hardly makes any difference to an established county player.
County players have played the sum total of 2 league games in addition to any club championship games and don't train with the club at all while the county are still in it - apart from the week leading into club championship.
It's young lads who aren't established county players that will struggle to develop in such a situation.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 646 - 23/10/2018 16:19:00    2147932

Link

o cunaigh deserves a shot....flynn is better off with a junior or inter club--- less pressure/trainming and physicality leaves him fresh for cvounty
moving clubs doesnt necessarily help- note lavelle dropping ball last weekend and being erratic the weekend before. should remember where he came from

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 553 - 23/10/2018 17:20:48    2147951

Link

What absolute nonsense. Athenry were pushing to go up to senior only 2/3 years back and have had one down year and are still strong at underage. They only lost to Kilkerrin-Clonberne by 2 at the weekend in a very close game. Should Shane Walsh leave KC also? That Claregalway stuff is laughable rubbish

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 89 - 23/10/2018 17:32:29    2147952

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "What absolute nonsense. Athenry were pushing to go up to senior only 2/3 years back and have had one down year and are still strong at underage. They only lost to Kilkerrin-Clonberne by 2 at the weekend in a very close game. Should Shane Walsh leave KC also? That Claregalway stuff is laughable rubbish"
Was that last line aimed at me? You are aware Flynn is teaching and living in Claregalway? Have heard from several sources he'll tog with Claregalway next year.

DaleWater (Galway) - Posts: 29 - 23/10/2018 18:39:19    2147962

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "Was that last line aimed at me? You are aware Flynn is teaching and living in Claregalway? Have heard from several sources he'll tog with Claregalway next year."
Think Flynn is teaching in Merlin, Paul Conroy is starting in Claregalway when his leg has healed i believe

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 394 - 23/10/2018 19:46:46    2147969

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "Was that last line aimed at me? You are aware Flynn is teaching and living in Claregalway? Have heard from several sources he'll tog with Claregalway next year."
He'll play football with Claregalway but then come back with welcome arms to the Athenry hurling side is it? He doesn't work in Claregalway and where does where he live matter when they're within 15 mins of each other?

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 89 - 23/10/2018 20:14:32    2147975

Link

Lads from intermediate clubs being linked with moves to play senior is real soccer fan style nonsense. As pointed out above, club players barely see their intercounty players. They don't train with them most of the year and don't play many if any league matches. Players are picked for Galway based on how they perform in training camps with the squad, not how they play in a junior game in Clonbur.

Incidences of players transferring within galway are very rare and usually due to unique circumstances, not based on moving up a division.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 24/10/2018 10:17:15    2148066

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "What absolute nonsense. Athenry were pushing to go up to senior only 2/3 years back and have had one down year and are still strong at underage. They only lost to Kilkerrin-Clonberne by 2 at the weekend in a very close game. Should Shane Walsh leave KC also? That Claregalway stuff is laughable rubbish"
Doing sweet FA at underage. Athenry has always been hurling territory, football there is too much of an afterthought to progress. It's probably too late for Flynn now, but he really should have been with a proper football club when he first emerged at U-21 level. He'd be a much better player today because he'd have been playing at a much higher club level. Shane Walsh is no comparison because K/C are a proper club in a parish where football is the prime sport, no distractions. I was never GOD's biggest fan, but he moved to Tuam to try and progress his football career. Similarly, Kevin Brady hurled (very well) for Castlegar. This year's Minor hurling team contained some wonderful talent from non-traditional clubs, but do you really think that these players will progress without playing at least Intermediate or Senior club championship hurling of a higher standard? Club level does count.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 24/10/2018 11:42:09    2148091

Link

Replying To Triffic:  "Doing sweet FA at underage. Athenry has always been hurling territory, football there is too much of an afterthought to progress. It's probably too late for Flynn now, but he really should have been with a proper football club when he first emerged at U-21 level. He'd be a much better player today because he'd have been playing at a much higher club level. Shane Walsh is no comparison because K/C are a proper club in a parish where football is the prime sport, no distractions. I was never GOD's biggest fan, but he moved to Tuam to try and progress his football career. Similarly, Kevin Brady hurled (very well) for Castlegar. This year's Minor hurling team contained some wonderful talent from non-traditional clubs, but do you really think that these players will progress without playing at least Intermediate or Senior club championship hurling of a higher standard? Club level does count."
In that case maybe Shane Walsh should transfer to Corofin - To spare him from then usual abuse from his own supporters on the days he doesn't clock up 1-10

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 24/10/2018 16:57:19    2148163

Link

Replying To Triffic:  "Doing sweet FA at underage. Athenry has always been hurling territory, football there is too much of an afterthought to progress. It's probably too late for Flynn now, but he really should have been with a proper football club when he first emerged at U-21 level. He'd be a much better player today because he'd have been playing at a much higher club level. Shane Walsh is no comparison because K/C are a proper club in a parish where football is the prime sport, no distractions. I was never GOD's biggest fan, but he moved to Tuam to try and progress his football career. Similarly, Kevin Brady hurled (very well) for Castlegar. This year's Minor hurling team contained some wonderful talent from non-traditional clubs, but do you really think that these players will progress without playing at least Intermediate or Senior club championship hurling of a higher standard? Club level does count."
I've never read such a load of nonsense. You're essentially saying that any talented player from a weaker club should transfer to one playing at a higher level.
What incentive is there for any small club to keep going, on that basis? It would effectively spell the end of large swathe of them.
Some of the best players in the country played for small intermediate clubs, like Shane McGrath in Tipp.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 581 - 24/10/2018 18:17:56    2148178

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "I've never read such a load of nonsense. You're essentially saying that any talented player from a weaker club should transfer to one playing at a higher level.
What incentive is there for any small club to keep going, on that basis? It would effectively spell the end of large swathe of them.
Some of the best players in the country played for small intermediate clubs, like Shane McGrath in Tipp."
To clarify the point I'm trying to make, I'm saying that any promising young player *from a club with little tradition* with ambitions to progress in the game and perhaps play at county level needs to be playing at as high a club level as possible in order to improve. In other words, mainly but not exclusively, hurlers from football areas or vice versa. This is nothing new or radical, simply common sense. There's loads of examples, e.g. Bosco McDermott from Williamstown played with Fr. Griffins when the former were very weak at club level, Ruairi Lavelle moved from Renvyle to Salthill, JP Dullaghan from Mountbellew played Minor with Galway but played practically all his adult hurling in goal for Turlough'. Didn't Tadhg Haran start out with Salthill? I know it can be tough on smaller clubs with lesser resources, but the players themselves must make the call.
Whereas Shane Walsh is from a strong football area, and K/C have been Senior for a number of years at least, Athenry haven't been Senior in many years, if at all, (they did amalgamate with Monivea for a season once I think), and football there is very neglected, pretty much the team is picked on whoever shows up on the day.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 25/10/2018 10:31:46    2148241

Link