Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I for one hope Adrian varely is not gone off panel he a player I rate very highly think might be worth trying Eamonn Brannighan as a wing back think he would be ideal for it our half Back line need a total overhaul maybe keep Heaney but other 2 not good enough if we want to a consistent team ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 25/09/2018 16:57:15    2143776

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I for one hope Adrian varely is not gone off panel he a player I rate very highly think might be worth trying Eamonn Brannighan as a wing back think he would be ideal for it our half Back line need a total overhaul maybe keep Heaney but other 2 not good enough if we want to a consistent team ,,"
Varely was poor against the Dubs when he started his body isn't built like a winner. Hes grand coming on against teams when there tired but maybe its him who wants a break from the panel who knows? I agree that the half back line is a problem but brannighan is class when he has confidence id leave him in the forwards hes still young. Cillian McDaid is going back to Oz which is a pity. I think Daly has ability but plays off himself a lot but he can work on that.Moran from claregalway is a man id love to see in the panel or Rory McTiernan of salthill.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 394 - 25/09/2018 17:28:35    2143789

Link

For whatever reason, a lot of the players from last year's panel, although good footballers, seemed to lack the drive, leadership and commitment necessary, to be real contenders. This was so evident against Dublin. Silke and co. must now give thought to getting in serious competitors. I always felt Darcy and Eoghan Finnerty (Mountbellew) have a lot to offer in this regard. Also, KW must modify the game plan in order to properly integrate the Corofin lads into the team. Otherwise, it's a wasted year.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 346 - 26/09/2018 01:47:17    2143853

Link

If you watch Varley play at Club level, you couldn't keep him off the county panel. He's an absolute beast in at full forward for Cortoon.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 26/09/2018 10:19:23    2143886

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "If you watch Varley play at Club level, you couldn't keep him off the county panel. He's an absolute beast in at full forward for Cortoon."
He's a bit light for a central target man imo, and it's his style to play that way. Found the going tough physically v Monaghan. Looked lightweight that evening, for a relatively slow moving full forward line target man. Ian Burke plays a similar game, but moves way more sharply, and avoids some punishment as a result. Varley is a better finisher than Brannigan, and that wouldn't be hard.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 26/09/2018 19:14:51    2144001

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "He's a bit light for a central target man imo, and it's his style to play that way. Found the going tough physically v Monaghan. Looked lightweight that evening, for a relatively slow moving full forward line target man. Ian Burke plays a similar game, but moves way more sharply, and avoids some punishment as a result. Varley is a better finisher than Brannigan, and that wouldn't be hard."
Varley couldnt finish from the penalty spot against a useless Claregalway team 2 and a half weeks ago so its worrying to hear you say hes a way better finisher than Brannigan... actually now i think of it, you are more than likely correct.

Few lads need to rise to the occasion this year... McHugh, Daly and possibly Finnerty need to have big seasons. Daire Curely has been moving well with the college and possibly deserves a crack. I hear a lot of good things said about a few Salthill lads such as Mahers and Finnertys - and it makes me question my fellow Galway GAA fans as to me they are lucky to make their club panel not to mind a county 1.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 27/09/2018 11:26:24    2144079

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "I see young cillian mc daid is home from Australia,but don't be getting too excited he is heading back to Australia oct/Nov for a minimum of six months.pity really but i suppose he has to try out the aussie experience while still young."
Well I was in my favourite tipple place wards hotel and was told by young rob finnerty cillian Mc daid has decided to stay home and help Galway in their quest for Sam!I think it is great news and with Liam silke would be a pacey half back line.Great news.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 14/10/2018 23:08:28    2146529

Link

So its official, Cillian Mc Daid is coming home for good.. This is a massive boost to Galway with himself and Liam Silke returning to strenghten our half back line for 2019

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 15/10/2018 10:25:38    2146567

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "Well I was in my favourite tipple place wards hotel and was told by young rob finnerty cillian Mc daid has decided to stay home and help Galway in their quest for Sam!I think it is great news and with Liam silke would be a pacey half back line.Great news."
That would be huge news, one of the most naturally talented players I've seen at u21 & Minor anywhere in recent years and in a position where we're desperately short.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 15/10/2018 10:47:21    2146574

Link

yes Cillian Mc Daid is back great news

gboy (Galway) - Posts: 15 - 15/10/2018 12:22:25    2146594

Link

That's 2 big additions to team who are both have a big chance to be starters. If we could pick up 1 or 2 more it would really give us impetus into new year.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1025 - 15/10/2018 13:34:13    2146610

Link

Great news for Galway football! A big prospect for the coming years, welcome home Cillian!

Hopefully he'll be brought straight into the setup and we get to see him during the league.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 15/10/2018 13:41:54    2146611

Link

Replying To gboy:  "yes Cillian Mc Daid is back great news"
Great news, with mcdaid and silke back should give us some needed extra cover in the back

Gaagodeo (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 15/10/2018 14:14:39    2146619

Link

Replying To Gaagodeo:  "Great news, with mcdaid and silke back should give us some needed extra cover in the back"
Yes. But I'd honestly hope others would be the cover for theese two starters..

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 15/10/2018 14:29:03    2146626

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "Yes. But I'd honestly hope others would be the cover for theese two starters.."
Belclare, could you get Daithi Burke or Dylan Wall? Have you influence?
Back six could be fullback line of Silke, Sean Andy, and Kerin, half backline of Wall, Daithi Burke and McDaid. Cover to be provided by Mulkerrins, Kyne, Donnellan, Heaney, Bradshaw, Duane and O'Donnell.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 349 - 15/10/2018 15:34:59    2146637

Link

Daithi burke as a better football centre back than either Bradshaw or Duane is real fantasy stuff.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 15/10/2018 17:32:41    2146659

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Daithi burke as a better football centre back than either Bradshaw or Duane is real fantasy stuff."
He was the U21 winning centre back. He would be the Tomas Mannion kind of centre back. He also did a job there in the qualifier game versus Tipperary in Tullamore when Galway were in the stew. No fantasy at all.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 349 - 15/10/2018 18:13:05    2146665

Link

Replying To GDL:  "He was the U21 winning centre back. He would be the Tomas Mannion kind of centre back. He also did a job there in the qualifier game versus Tipperary in Tullamore when Galway were in the stew. No fantasy at all."
He is twice the player of Bradshaw and Duane.. Would be a massive addition, but no , you wont see him togging for the footballers any time soon.. As for Dylan , I'm sure he would be interested if the call came eventually, but the club is number 1

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 15/10/2018 19:55:13    2146678

Link

Daithi Burke is descent club footballer but woukd not be anywhere near good enough for county has not got anywhere near the pace for inter county football will he start next day for corofin?? Think Macdaid big addition molloy should definitely be playing this year no substitute for pace and them 2 have lots of it

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 15/10/2018 20:32:06    2146684

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Daithi Burke is descent club footballer but woukd not be anywhere near good enough for county has not got anywhere near the pace for inter county football will he start next day for corofin?? Think Macdaid big addition molloy should definitely be playing this year no substitute for pace and them 2 have lots of it"
Rubbish.. He hasnt the pace for inter county football but is one of the best inter county hurlers in Ireland.. He has played for Galway foitballers before..He may not start but that is solely down to availability and Corofins panel depth..

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 15/10/2018 22:48:36    2146715

Link