Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Rocky.Road:  "My team for championship 2019:

1. Lavelle

2. Eoghan Kerin 3. Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh 4. Declan Kyne
5. Kieran Molloy 6. Liam Silke 7. Johnny Heaney

8. Tom Flynn 9. Ciaran Duggan (With Paul Conroy, Peter Cooke and Cian Darcy pushing hard)

10. Cillian McDaid 11. Michael Daly 12. Sean Kelly
13. Shane Walsh 14. Damien Comer 15. Ian Burke

Molloy, Heaney, McDaid and Kelly all interchangeable as modern running wing backs/forwards - 4 serious engines there with pace.

If John Daly proves to be ready for centre back this year then I'd put Liam Silke back in the corner in place of Kyne. There's a lot of talent in that team and every line is strong. If things go right they could really push the Dubs."
Can't have Kyne in the side. Not even good enough for the panel

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 242 - 11/01/2019 20:19:34    2156661

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Would have agreed with you until 2018
For me it now is about who plays there with Tom Flynn"
Agreed if Flynn has similar form as last year. It was fantastic to see him reach his full potential

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1005 - 11/01/2019 20:24:50    2156662

Link

Team for FBD game.

1.M.Breathnach
2.D.Kyne
3.S.Andy O'Ceallaigh
4.L.Silke
5.K.Molloy
6.J.Daly
7.D.Wall
8.C.Duggan
9.T.Flynn
10.C.Mcdaid
11.M.Farragher
12.J.Heaney
13.F.Burke
14.M.Boyle
15.B.Mchugh

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 12/01/2019 09:41:35    2156696

Link

Paul conroy now back running which augurs well for a return in the latter stages of the league.
Don't be surprised as stated in an earlier post to be in around the half forward line.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 13/01/2019 10:31:47    2156820

Link

If we're picking a panel of Galways' best 28 players who are available to the manager this year it wold look something like this;

Lavelle, Power/Breathnach

Kerin, Sean Andy, Kyne, Silke, J Daly, Bradshaw, Sean Kelly, O'Donnell, Molloy, Wall, Farragher

Flynn, Duggan, Cooke, Conroy, D'Arcy

Walsh, Comer, Burke, M Daly, Brannigan, Heaney, McDaid, McHugh, Varley, Cummins.

There's a lot of talent in that squad and it has a great age profile. Lots to be optimistic about.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 15/01/2019 12:31:06    2157267

Link

Replying To Jellybaby:  "Can't have Kyne in the side. Not even good enough for the panel"
Had a very good game against Kerry last year but agree, won't make the team this year.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 124 - 15/01/2019 12:44:38    2157275

Link

Is fiontan O curraoin involved this year?

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 295 - 15/01/2019 14:33:29    2157315

Link

Having looked at the Corofin match on telly I would rate the Corofin players involved with the county set up as follows:
Power, great save and good kick outs
Liam Silke, different gravy, will deffo start for Galway
Dillon Wall, did not stick out
Molloy, strong display, good to carry and pass off ball
Michael Farragher, quite game
Leonard came into it more towards the end

I actually think Lundy gets through a load of work out the field and still has something to offer Kevin not as a scorer but for tracking back and carrying ball forward

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 196 - 17/02/2019 15:47:17    2165879

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Having looked at the Corofin match on telly I would rate the Corofin players involved with the county set up as follows:
Power, great save and good kick outs
Liam Silke, different gravy, will deffo start for Galway
Dillon Wall, did not stick out
Molloy, strong display, good to carry and pass off ball
Michael Farragher, quite game
Leonard came into it more towards the end

I actually think Lundy gets through a load of work out the field and still has something to offer Kevin not as a scorer but for tracking back and carrying ball forward"
On the telly there is the key in your post, Dylan Wall was marking one of GD biggest threats Naoise Ó Boaill and did it admirably but most of it was off the ball shadowing him and keeping him away from the ball. He was lucky to get away with one high tackle alright but had to go off injured unfortunately, he fouled one of the McGees and he struck out with his fist and caught Wall where he had his knee bandaged, nasty action. Power was great I thought, not at fault for that goal at all, made a great save and it went in with a rebound shot. Kick outs were inch perfect. Lundy does a serious amount of work away from the forward line alright, spends more time in his half back line but usually making himself useful and nearly always plays forward. Sice is having a fantastic year and makes that forward line tick. Ian Burke, what can you say about him, he's a genius.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 17/02/2019 17:21:23    2165901

Link

Any truth in the rumours that clubs are putting county board under pressure to cut the panel. To many players unavailable to play league club matches and have little or no chance in making championship panel

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 349 - 19/03/2019 10:41:47    2173630

Link

Replying To JDF:  "If we're picking a panel of Galways' best 28 players who are available to the manager this year it wold look something like this;

Lavelle, Power/Breathnach

Kerin, Sean Andy, Kyne, Silke, J Daly, Bradshaw, Sean Kelly, O'Donnell, Molloy, Wall, Farragher

Flynn, Duggan, Cooke, Conroy, D'Arcy

Walsh, Comer, Burke, M Daly, Brannigan, Heaney, McDaid, McHugh, Varley, Cummins.

There's a lot of talent in that squad and it has a great age profile. Lots to be optimistic about."
What Farragher do you mean above - Mike or Martin? On current form, I would have Martin in the starting line up for Galway - great player to take a score or link up play as well as being big and strong which is another plus in the modern intercounty game.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 19/03/2019 11:40:30    2173645

Link

I would like Fiontán O'Curraíon to get a run out sometime as he has been a sub in the last number of games and I think it is only fair for him to see some action. He has made the effort to make himself available and on his day he is an excellent midfielder who can also take a score if the opportunity presents itself - something Flynn, Duggan or Cooke haven't been doing too often recently.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 19/03/2019 11:53:36    2173652

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "What Farragher do you mean above - Mike or Martin? On current form, I would have Martin in the starting line up for Galway - great player to take a score or link up play as well as being big and strong which is another plus in the modern intercounty game."
I would also have the 2 O'Laoi's in ahead of McHugh or Varley as they really haven't performed consistently from play and McHugh's freetaking has regressed recently.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 19/03/2019 11:58:52    2173655

Link

Present panel is 40 plus. Is it necessary or just leading players on?

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 349 - 19/03/2019 12:13:57    2173660

Link

One assumes the cull will happen after league final as I am confident we will beat Tyrone anything but to let mayo leapfrog over us into the final .

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 224 - 19/03/2019 12:16:32    2173662

Link

Did anyone mention A O'Laoi as a potential new player before the league? I doubt it, he's really come out of nowhere.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 19/03/2019 17:47:29    2173762

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Did anyone mention A O'Laoi as a potential new player before the league? I doubt it, he's really come out of nowhere."
I mentioned O'Laoi before he was even on the county panel. From what I saw of him playing for Spiddal he was consistently excellent.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 19/03/2019 19:31:08    2173783

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Any truth in the rumours that clubs are putting county board under pressure to cut the panel. To many players unavailable to play league club matches and have little or no chance in making championship panel"
No I'm pretty sure any player who wasn't in the named 23/24 for the Allianz League games was allowed play for their clubs that weekend.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 646 - 19/03/2019 20:18:53    2173800

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I would like Fiontán O'Curraíon to get a run out sometime as he has been a sub in the last number of games and I think it is only fair for him to see some action. He has made the effort to make himself available and on his day he is an excellent midfielder who can also take a score if the opportunity presents itself - something Flynn, Duggan or Cooke haven't been doing too often recently."
Fiontain has a terrible scoring record. Ciaran Duggan regularly pops up with a score and again last Sunday.

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 401 - 19/03/2019 23:26:09    2173831

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "Just wondering peoples opinions on players that are ready to make the breakthrough next season. I liked the look of Ryan Forde for the 21s this year, Liam Silke will be back and id be hopeful for Kieren Molloy to see more game time along hopefully with Dylan Wall. Not sure what the story with Cillian Mc Daid is.."
Whatever about 2019 what about further down the road.
No Galway school in Connacht football finals.
and will rugby gradually take over and attract the younger players with the lure of professionalism and international competition? Does the tweet below give us a hint of further challenges?

@stjarlaths

St Jarlath's College Retweeted Tuam Rugby Club
Well done to our senior rugby team yesterday on their great win! Both teams now in finals! Congrats to the lads and their management team!St Jarlath's College added,
Tuam Rugby Club

@TuamRFC
Huge congrats to St Jarlaths senior rugby team who are through to the Cup final they beat St Paul's Oughterard in 22-12
The junior and senior teams play in their perspective finals next Wednesday in the Sportsground

10:19 AM - 21 Mar 2019

Mayfair (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 22/03/2019 00:28:38    2174295

Link