Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Whats the difference between 8 & 9 ?"
Is it not why is 6 afraid of 7?

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 606 - 09/01/2019 10:37:16    2156222

Link

Seen Ian Burke's article in the paper. Looks like the corofin players are dividing their time 2 Galway and the club hopefully it works.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 09/01/2019 14:38:51    2156260

Link

I don't think Flynn is good enough to start or even be on the panel I'm afraid. He pops up now and again and may take the odd score now and again but for me he is virtually anonymous in most games that I have seen him play in. He did play better when he was reintroduced after being subbed against Mayo last year but he was ineffective before that. I would play Duggan and Darcy in midfield with Cooke and Steede as subs.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2264 - 09/01/2019 16:36:35    2156282

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I don't think Flynn is good enough to start or even be on the panel I'm afraid. He pops up now and again and may take the odd score now and again but for me he is virtually anonymous in most games that I have seen him play in. He did play better when he was reintroduced after being subbed against Mayo last year but he was ineffective before that. I would play Duggan and Darcy in midfield with Cooke and Steede as subs."
Did you watch last years championship?

Flynn was very good, easily his most consistent to date. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think Flynn was a problem based on those performances.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 09/01/2019 17:28:25    2156286

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "My championship team would be

Power
Silke, Sean Andy, kerins
Molloy, Daly, Wall
Flynn, Duggan
Daly, Walsh, Mcdaid
Conroy, Comer, Burke

It might be a little unfair on lavelle but power's kickouts swing it in his favour for me. I've picked a brand new half back line but these 3 are the best half backs in the county by a country mile. John Daly in particular will be too good to ignore. Molloy and Wall ooze class. Midfield is competitive area but I think Flynn and Duggan are our best option. Daly and walsh are certain starters. Mcdaid is a real gem. A naturally talented footballer with a serious engine. A classy finisher also and very versatile. Capable of playing anywhere so he will have to get the start. its hard to see brannigan getting a start with mcdaid or indeed Kelly available. If Conroy is back fit then you could start him at 15 and let him drift out around midfield. Heaney had a great league last year but had a quiet championship. A good option to come of the bench bit if he can find his form again , he'll push hard to start. Overall I think my 15 good enough to cause serious problems to any team in the country including Dublin provided of course they are let of the leash by management. All will depend on the tactics and system of play adopted. If we park the bus, we can forget it. Trust the players and let them express themselves and we won't be far away"
Would love to see that backline starting also. Hopefully they can all make the step up to intercounty. If not McDaid, Kelly, Heaney and Bradshaw are adequate cover for the half back line.
Kelly, Brannigan, Cummins and Varley are good cover for the forward line also.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 124 - 09/01/2019 17:44:11    2156293

Link

Power
Silke, Sean Andy, kerins
Molloy, Daly, Wall
Flynn, Duggan
Daly, Walsh, Mcdaid
Conroy, Comer, Burke

It might be a little unfair on lavelle but power's kickouts swing it in his favour for me. I've picked a brand new half back line but these 3 are the best half backs in the county by a country mile. John Daly in particular will be too good to ignore. Molloy and Wall ooze class. Midfield is competitive area but I think Flynn and Duggan are our best option. Daly and walsh are certain starters. Mcdaid is a real gem. A naturally talented footballer with a serious engine. A classy finisher also and very versatile. Capable of playing anywhere so he will have to get the start. its hard to see brannigan getting a start with mcdaid or indeed Kelly available. If Conroy is back fit then you could start him at 15 and let him drift out around midfield. Heaney had a great league last year but had a quiet championship. A good option to come of the bench bit if he can find his form again , he'll push hard to start. Overall I think my 15 good enough to cause serious problems to any team in the country including Dublin provided of course they are let of the leash by management. All will depend on the tactics and system of play adopted. If we park the bus, we can forget it. Trust the players and let them express themselves and we won't be far away"
Good team but no way if Kelly has similar form to last year that he won't start. He went toe to toe with the best and was never caught short. Fittest man on the team he never tires

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1005 - 09/01/2019 18:34:50    2156296

Link

Power
Silke, Sean Andy, kerins
Molloy, Daly, Wall
Flynn, Duggan
Daly, Walsh, Mcdaid
Conroy, Comer, Burke

Close enough to a team I posted a while back and on the right track I think. Lavelle for me personally, he's very young and 2018 was much better than 2017 so thinking he may improve again. I could just see Kyne hanging on to a corner back spot and Silke nabbing a wing back spot from one of his Corofin mates, he's always been more of a natural half back. Might be a year soon for J.Daly but hopefully I'm wrong and he's definitely the future. You're right with 3 midfielders anyway, Walsh has always played 3 when he's had them available. McDaid as the workhorse leaving the 4 class forwards then. These people posting teams with an orthodox 15 and 6 natural forwards are completely delusional. I'm hoping he might be adventurous and leave the 4 up this year but we'll be lucky with that.

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 89 - 09/01/2019 23:27:01    2156330

Link

Interesting to see some lads looking for a half backline of Molly,Daly and Wall. 3 lads who have never even started for Galway all parachuted in to start. Ridiculous. Hopefully Molloy and Wall will be available at the end of Feb. Why also are they still persisting with Frankie Burke ?

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 10/01/2019 09:01:23    2156340

Link

Wonder is there any chance of a bolter this year. No one would have anticipated Sean Kelly becoming such a mainstay this time last year. Maybe Ruairi Greene or Ryan Forde?? Greene might be a good shout for corner back, think we need more competition in there

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 10/01/2019 09:41:50    2156346

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Wonder is there any chance of a bolter this year. No one would have anticipated Sean Kelly becoming such a mainstay this time last year. Maybe Ruairi Greene or Ryan Forde?? Greene might be a good shout for corner back, think we need more competition in there"
Valid point. KW will be looking to increase his quote of Kilannin players once again after P Sweeney being dropped and Cathal leaving the panel.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 10/01/2019 09:53:55    2156347

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "Wonder is there any chance of a bolter this year. No one would have anticipated Sean Kelly becoming such a mainstay this time last year. Maybe Ruairi Greene or Ryan Forde?? Greene might be a good shout for corner back, think we need more competition in there"
Don't know too much about Greene but will be interesting to see him with NUIG this year again. I think he got taken off in the final last year (for Molloy I think?). Big fan of Forde though, he could definitely have the Sean Kelly type of influence. Only thing is he'll be up against good competition in that position. Attacking/workhorse wing backs are such a huge part of the game now and we're lucky to have a great selection to choose from this year, so I just hope KW gives them a good shot.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 176 - 10/01/2019 11:28:26    2156365

Link

I don't think Greene is good enough, not seen enough of Forde yet but he has something to work on.

At least it looks like we have plenty of pacey backs coming through, its a position of weakness at the moment but in 2 years time it may well be one of our strongest lines.

Forwards wise there hasn't been anything that has really stood out in the last 3 years coming through the u20's/21's apart from Michael Daly. Ian Burke, Shane Walsh & Comer excelled and really stood out at that level but haven't seen anything since apart from Daly where you thought thats potential All Star material. I'm interested to see how Cunningham does, Kevin Walsh thought he has a lot of potential to have him on the panel last year so perhaps we might see him in the league.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 10/01/2019 11:55:11    2156368

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Valid point. KW will be looking to increase his quote of Kilannin players once again after P Sweeney being dropped and Cathal leaving the panel."
Patrick Sweeney left the panel due to work commitments along with Cathal he was not dropped. If Ruairi Greene was called in it would be on merit not because of any hidden agenda you might think Kevin Walsh has, it is pathetic when this dung is thrown up year after year. I for one would like to thank the Sweeney lads for there effort over the years and fair play to them they have left with the Galway jersey in a lot better position than when they started out.

handpass (Galway) - Posts: 46 - 10/01/2019 12:05:44    2156370

Link

Replying To handpass:  "Patrick Sweeney left the panel due to work commitments along with Cathal he was not dropped. If Ruairi Greene was called in it would be on merit not because of any hidden agenda you might think Kevin Walsh has, it is pathetic when this dung is thrown up year after year. I for one would like to thank the Sweeney lads for there effort over the years and fair play to them they have left with the Galway jersey in a lot better position than when they started out."
Well said, ignore that troll..

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 10/01/2019 12:15:39    2156374

Link

Replying To handpass:  "Patrick Sweeney left the panel due to work commitments along with Cathal he was not dropped. If Ruairi Greene was called in it would be on merit not because of any hidden agenda you might think Kevin Walsh has, it is pathetic when this dung is thrown up year after year. I for one would like to thank the Sweeney lads for there effort over the years and fair play to them they have left with the Galway jersey in a lot better position than when they started out."
Erroneous.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 10/01/2019 12:42:54    2156380

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Interesting to see some lads looking for a half backline of Molly,Daly and Wall. 3 lads who have never even started for Galway all parachuted in to start. Ridiculous. Hopefully Molloy and Wall will be available at the end of Feb. Why also are they still persisting with Frankie Burke ?"
Dublin started Howard and Merchant in the backline last year all be it in different lines- 2 new additions. I know it is a big ask for them but worth a shot - definitely in the league to see how they get on. Looks more exiting than Sweeney, Bradshaw and Heaney in fairness. Would imagine Kerry will have a new looking half forward line next year also.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 124 - 10/01/2019 13:57:38    2156394

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Interesting to see some lads looking for a half backline of Molly,Daly and Wall. 3 lads who have never even started for Galway all parachuted in to start. Ridiculous. Hopefully Molloy and Wall will be available at the end of Feb. Why also are they still persisting with Frankie Burke ?"
John Daly is the best center back we have in Galway. Voted club player of the year if I'm not mistaken. By all accounts, he has been brilliant in training since he has been called in. If he gets a few games under his belt, I predict he will be a certain starter. As for Molloy and Wall on either wing, they are 2 men who know how to win big games and have the medals to prove it.

You have to try and improve the team each year and that means giving outstanding talent like Molloy, Daly and Wall an opportunity to show doubters like yourself what they can do. Their class is beyond doubt. I'd find it very hard to imagine these lads getting a roasting from any half forward line in the country.

On thr flip side, Gareth Bradshaw has been a brilliant servant to Galway. A very talented footballer but he may not have the pace anymore. He would be a serious sub to come on IMO. Likewise with Johnny Heaney needs to regain his league form of last year. Cathal sweeney has given great service also but has pulled out for work reasons. That's why I believe Molloy, Daly and Wall are the best half backs available. Nothing ridulous about it. By the way, Frankie Burke is also a very good forward so I'm not too surprised, he's getting a chance to prove himself

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 10/01/2019 14:37:08    2156400

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Dublin started Howard and Merchant in the backline last year all be it in different lines- 2 new additions. I know it is a big ask for them but worth a shot - definitely in the league to see how they get on. Looks more exiting than Sweeney, Bradshaw and Heaney in fairness. Would imagine Kerry will have a new looking half forward line next year also."
Howard won an all star at midfield and MURCHAN was normally deployed as a corner back. Ask Ian Burke.

Great to see you are a big believer in facts.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 10/01/2019 17:33:58    2156428

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Howard won an all star at midfield and MURCHAN was normally deployed as a corner back. Ask Ian Burke.

Great to see you are a big believer in facts."
Howard won an All-Star at midfield but was a wing forward if anything.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 176 - 10/01/2019 19:10:45    2156454

Link

Hear hear

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 92 - 10/01/2019 19:13:20    2156456

Link