Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "The thread is about new players in the Galway panel
Not this old club v county dung
FFS"
Thank you Marooned in Longford

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 241 - 05/01/2019 12:05:06    2155729

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "
Replying To Reversepass1:  "[quote=Mayonman:  "Its a pity that the competitions cross over. I can see both points of view.

For the individual trying to break into the county team it is a huge disadvantage. e.g. Ian Burke would have made the team at least 2 years earlier if he had the option of playing league games to prove himself.

I think being available for a couple of early FBD games and being in and around the panel in January is a fair compromise.

More to the point what Corofin players are we actually taking about? Who is involved with the county panel (as opposed to your opinion on who should be)?"
I doubt very much if we would be having this conversation about club v county if moycullen/killanin were winning county titles nearly every year and winning all ireland club titles on a regular basis. No other county management set up in the country imposes such a ridulous policy. Ie if you dont train at the start of the year, you can forget about breaking into the team in the latter stages of the league and championship even if your club win the all ireland.

This policy has cost Galway dearly for 5 years now. The corofin players are clearly victims of their own success. It's hard to imagine the Dublin, Tyrone, mayo or Kerry management teams behaving in this stubborn manner. I suspect their respective county boards would call them in to explain the policy and show them the door. In Galway there appears to be no accountability. We have crashed out of the championship each year after heavy defeats. It's hard to imagine any mayo, Dublin, Tyrone or Kerry manager holding on to their jobs after suffering such heavy defeats.

This is the 6th term for our management team. They are blessed with a huge amount of naturally talented players. The envy of most other counties. They have made progress but could have done far better if they had put our best 15 out on the pitch. Their policy of joining the panel in December regardless of club commitments is appalling.

Last year's league final against Dublin was very telling. Con o Callaghan comes on for Dublin as a sub. Ian Burke not even on match day panel for galway. Dublin win by 4. Enough said."
Didn't realise there was a policy!

I think it is just natural that it is hard to throw a guy in for his debut in championship. Particularly the last few years we've had Mayo up first. We were just putting structure on the set up for the first time in years and having all the players in camp was crucial. Don't forget how rubbish we were. Different for Dublin because they are winning all their early games by 10 points + so they can try new guys with no risk. Also slipping a player into a well oiled machine is much easier.

KW is conservative. I took the collapse against Rossies to get Burke in. But I don't agree with your Killanin comment. For all his faults I don't doubt KWs honesty/integrity."]Kevin Walsh has made Good progress. That is beyond dispute however this policy of not giving these lads game time when they become available has cost kevin more success in my opinion.
Sice was established at county level long before Kevin took over in 2015. However, Burke wasn't given a chance by Kevin that year. That was another mistake. He opted out in 2016 and came back in 2017. He trained with county for last few league games but got no game time. Was not even in the match day 26 when roscommon hammered us in connacht final. He was started for the next 2 games and kicked 11 points in total against kerry and Donegal.

Last year, corofin won club all ireland. Not one of them played in league. Surely Ian Burke could have been named as a sub for league final against Dublin. I doubt if any of the lads would have objected if he had come on and won the game which he is quite capable of doing as he proved against mayo last year. It's not often we get to any kind of final. Management stuck to their policy. A missed opportunity imo.

My point is that Con o Callaghan won his club hurling medal with Cuala on the same day Burke won his medal with corofin. Neither Burke or o Callaghan had trained with their county as they were involved with their clubs. Jim gavin didnt have an issue using him on the day. That's the policy Dublin have and that's why they win titles. You have to be ruthless and if a few noses are put out of joint in the process then so be it. Id also doubt if any of the players would have a problem using the corofin lads when they become available. If they do, then they are not being realistic.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 05/01/2019 12:41:34    2155731

Link

The team that I would like 2 see start depending on players available

1.Lavelle
2.Silke
3.O'Ceallaigh
4.Kerin
5.Molloy
6.Wall
7.Heaney
8.Duggan
9.Flynn
10.Daly
11.Walsh
12.Kelly
13.Burke
14.Comer
15.Leonard

Bradshaw unlucky 2 miss out considering he had a good year last year but couldn't track Kilkenny in the semi final might be a bit harsh but just my opinion. Brannigan for me didn't perform well enough last year and isn't worth his place if Leonard is as good as people say he is it's time 2 give him a chance.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 05/01/2019 19:36:33    2155764

Link

With Cathal sweeney not available either now is the time 2 try Kieran Molloy and Dylan Wall. See if they can step up 2 inter county level

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 05/01/2019 19:38:22    2155765

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "The team that I would like 2 see start depending on players available

1.Lavelle
2.Silke
3.O'Ceallaigh
4.Kerin
5.Molloy
6.Wall
7.Heaney
8.Duggan
9.Flynn
10.Daly
11.Walsh
12.Kelly
13.Burke
14.Comer
15.Leonard

Bradshaw unlucky 2 miss out considering he had a good year last year but couldn't track Kilkenny in the semi final might be a bit harsh but just my opinion. Brannigan for me didn't perform well enough last year and isn't worth his place if Leonard is as good as people say he is it's time 2 give him a chance."
Very exciting team. I think if this team was to gel together, then we'd be a match for any side including Dublin. Maybe mcdaid for Heaney as he is a brilliant talent. John Daly is another option and won't be far away either. Anyway if these lads get a run of games under their belts, we'll soon find out.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 05/01/2019 19:57:38    2155766

Link

I don't know i'm not convinced by Mcdaid seen him in a few league games and I wasn't covinced. Maybe as an impact sub for the moment I could be wrong. I think Heaney is very underated he scored a great goal against Mayo and has been one of the standout performers of the Kevin Walsh era. Would be one of the first names on my team and I would say Walsh's as well .

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 05/01/2019 23:16:08    2155769

Link

Can't comment on John Daly as I haven't seen him play but if what people say about him is true he will be a great addition.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 05/01/2019 23:17:19    2155770

Link

Very worrying the departure of the Sweeney s. Either they feel the well has dried up in terms of silverware or the team is going nowhere long term.

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 349 - 06/01/2019 10:01:49    2155774

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Very worrying the departure of the Sweeney s. Either they feel the well has dried up in terms of silverware or the team is going nowhere long term."
Don't agree at all
Patrick in particular has been struggling with injuries
More likely that they just can't commit for the year
Nothing else

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 196 - 06/01/2019 13:35:52    2155790

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Very worrying the departure of the Sweeney s. Either they feel the well has dried up in terms of silverware or the team is going nowhere long term."
I know they have had their critics, nevertheless, they both brought an abrasiveness to the game, that will need to be replaced. I, for one, feel they will certainly be a big loss to the panel. Good to see Cooke and Darcy teaming up at midfield for NUIG. Was talking to a Kerry supporter in the know, and of their 2014 AI winning minor panel of 25 - only 8 members now playing sports of any kind. No doubt in my mind, but Galway are best equipped to take on the Dubs this year.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 06/01/2019 14:22:56    2155792

Link

Very reassuring lads and great optimism. Hope it bodes well for year ahead.

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 349 - 06/01/2019 15:17:48    2155799

Link

sweeneys a loss to the panel but not to the first team.....cathal maybe for impact. i wish themwell and thank them for their service to date

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 552 - 06/01/2019 15:26:54    2155800

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "The thread is about new players in the Galway panel
Not this old club v county dung
FFS"
Which is why we are debating Kieran Molloy and Dylan Wall not being available until Corofin are out.
They are new additions to the panel and need to be given a chance.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 124 - 06/01/2019 19:07:11    2155840

Link

Doubt it ... there is more optimism this year than in previous years imo.
They obviously feel they just can't commit to it.
Cathal had a good year last year but will find it hard to get a game with Liam Silke, Cillian McDaid, Dylan Wall and Kieran Molloy involved this year.
Patrick tried hard but wasn't a natural forward.
Thanks for their service and best of luck to them.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 124 - 06/01/2019 19:13:41    2155842

Link

Is Leonard called in?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1023 - 06/01/2019 21:02:31    2155862

Link

Replying To Really:  "I know they have had their critics, nevertheless, they both brought an abrasiveness to the game, that will need to be replaced. I, for one, feel they will certainly be a big loss to the panel. Good to see Cooke and Darcy teaming up at midfield for NUIG. Was talking to a Kerry supporter in the know, and of their 2014 AI winning minor panel of 25 - only 8 members now playing sports of any kind. No doubt in my mind, but Galway are best equipped to take on the Dubs this year."
Sorry but that fact about Kerry's 2014 winning minor team is completely false. Pretty much all of them are playing for their clubs.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 336 - 06/01/2019 22:03:57    2155872

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Is Leonard called in?"
Played number 11 in a challenge against NUIG recently, hopefully he does well, very underrated player.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 07/01/2019 00:16:21    2155884

Link

Galway played tipp yesterday in a challenge any word on how it went??

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 07/01/2019 13:12:43    2155934

Link

Championship Team 2019
Lavelle
Silke
Sean Andy
Kerin
Molloy
Kyne
Mc Daid
Duggan
Flynn
Kelly
Shane
Daly
Burke
Conroy
Comer

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 196 - 07/01/2019 21:01:21    2156016

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Championship Team 2019
Lavelle
Silke
Sean Andy
Kerin
Molloy
Kyne
Mc Daid
Duggan
Flynn
Kelly
Shane
Daly
Burke
Conroy
Comer"
That is a very good team. I would have Heaney in for McDaid(until he has proven himself which I think he will in time) and possibly switch Silke and Kyne or Bradshaw in for Kyne

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 307 - 08/01/2019 09:08:52    2156043

Link