Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Right just over a week out from our first game in Tuam against Leitrim or Mayo.
Any details on new lads in training?
Mayo back training all out since Oct and had a full 15 on 15 behind closed doors game last Sun in mc hale park. Horan is going all out to beat us and win the FBD. They should be worrying about Leitrim who they couldn't beat this time last year

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 02/01/2019 12:33:55    2155453

Link

No Sweeneys involved this year, work commitments.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 02/01/2019 18:33:09    2155485

Link

Replying To Cornetto2:  "No Sweeneys involved this year, work commitments."
My favourite moment from 2018 was Patrick Sweeneys goal v Kerry
Can't wait for this year to start

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 02/01/2019 22:56:17    2155514

Link

Can anyone answer me a simple question - are the Corofin players training with the Galway panel at the moment? I know they won't be available for FBD or NFL games until after they exit the club championship (a point I don't agree with but anyway), but surely there should be no restriction on them participating in a certain number of training sessions?

It is vital that Kevin Walsh can fully integrate the players he wants from an early stage in the year and my guess is that means Ian Burke, Liam Silke, Kieran Molloy, Dylan Wall, Micheal Lundy and maybe a few more.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 03/01/2019 13:22:28    2155547

Link

Replying To Rocky.Road:  "Can anyone answer me a simple question - are the Corofin players training with the Galway panel at the moment? I know they won't be available for FBD or NFL games until after they exit the club championship (a point I don't agree with but anyway), but surely there should be no restriction on them participating in a certain number of training sessions?

It is vital that Kevin Walsh can fully integrate the players he wants from an early stage in the year and my guess is that means Ian Burke, Liam Silke, Kieran Molloy, Dylan Wall, Micheal Lundy and maybe a few more."
I would seriously doubt they are doing more training on top of their already hectic club training schedule, it would be counter productive. Why do you not agree with them not being available for NFL or FBD games? Surely they have enough going on with club and college? Doubt you'll see Micheal Lundy on the panel this year either.

GalwayLurker (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 03/01/2019 14:53:50    2155559

Link

Shame about Cathal as thats a blow, i think he'd have been under pressure for his place this year but he would be an important member of the panel in an area where Galway are weakest.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 03/01/2019 15:12:43    2155562

Link

Replying To GalwayLurker:  "I would seriously doubt they are doing more training on top of their already hectic club training schedule, it would be counter productive. Why do you not agree with them not being available for NFL or FBD games? Surely they have enough going on with club and college? Doubt you'll see Micheal Lundy on the panel this year either."
I don't see why the players couldn't train with the county and play the intercounty games as well as the 2 club games. That's what happens for rest of the club championship in the summer. They could at least play rounds 1 and 2 of NFL, then dedicate 2 weeks to the club for semi final on 16th Feb. If they win the semi they could then play rounds 4 and 5 of NFL and then dedicate 2 weeks to the club before the final on 17th March. That way the players wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage in terms of breaking into the county setup, which is the current state of play.

The intercounty NFL is a big competition now. I'm not saying it's as big as championship but it's not far behind these days. I just don't see why the club drags players away from their county for essentially 4 months (Nov - March) of the year if they make a club all Ireland final. It's just my opinion anyway.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 03/01/2019 15:31:40    2155566

Link

Replying To Rocky.Road:  "I don't see why the players couldn't train with the county and play the intercounty games as well as the 2 club games. That's what happens for rest of the club championship in the summer. They could at least play rounds 1 and 2 of NFL, then dedicate 2 weeks to the club for semi final on 16th Feb. If they win the semi they could then play rounds 4 and 5 of NFL and then dedicate 2 weeks to the club before the final on 17th March. That way the players wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage in terms of breaking into the county setup, which is the current state of play.

The intercounty NFL is a big competition now. I'm not saying it's as big as championship but it's not far behind these days. I just don't see why the club drags players away from their county for essentially 4 months (Nov - March) of the year if they make a club all Ireland final. It's just my opinion anyway."
I know I'd rather win a club All Ireland than a National League.
Besides once the 17th of March is over you can join your County panel then.
Coroinf lads are making themselves available for 1st 2 FBD games.
After that... it's Club.

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 03/01/2019 17:58:53    2155589

Link

Replying To Tiddlywinks77:  "I know I'd rather win a club All Ireland than a National League.
Besides once the 17th of March is over you can join your County panel then.
Coroinf lads are making themselves available for 1st 2 FBD games.
After that... it's Club."
What about Daithi Burke? Is he following same rules as inter county footballers when it comes to allocating time between county and club? He will inevitably play a huge part in Corofin's upcoming games.
Galway need the likes or Dylan Wall and Kieran Molloy to be with the county for majority of league in order to get a fair judgement on their performance and particularly their capabilities of stepping up to inter county level which has yet to be proven. Ian Burke and Liam Silke are well established so would not worry as much about them.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 03/01/2019 19:24:31    2155595

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "Right just over a week out from our first game in Tuam against Leitrim or Mayo.
Any details on new lads in training?
Mayo back training all out since Oct and had a full 15 on 15 behind closed doors game last Sun in mc hale park. Horan is going all out to beat us and win the FBD. They should be worrying about Leitrim who they couldn't beat this time last year"
Horan will go all out to beat Galway in the fbd league. It will be a a big blow if they fail to beat Galway again. Since mayo last beat Galway in 2015, they have lost one fbd, one league and 3 championship encounters to Galway. They need to put down a marker in this game. Horan knows that another defeat to galway will be disastrous.

Mayo's biggest problem is that they have failed to unearth any new talent to replace their ageing star players. I believe this mayo team have seen their best days. A number of their top players have lost a yard or 2 in pace and this will be their downfall when the ground firms up in the summer. No amount of training sessions can reverse father time.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 03/01/2019 19:50:22    2155601

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "What about Daithi Burke? Is he following same rules as inter county footballers when it comes to allocating time between county and club? He will inevitably play a huge part in Corofin's upcoming games.
Galway need the likes or Dylan Wall and Kieran Molloy to be with the county for majority of league in order to get a fair judgement on their performance and particularly their capabilities of stepping up to inter county level which has yet to be proven. Ian Burke and Liam Silke are well established so would not worry as much about them."
Its a pity that the competitions cross over. I can see both points of view.

For the individual trying to break into the county team it is a huge disadvantage. e.g. Ian Burke would have made the team at least 2 years earlier if he had the option of playing league games to prove himself.

I think being available for a couple of early FBD games and being in and around the panel in January is a fair compromise.

More to the point what Corofin players are we actually taking about? Who is involved with the county panel (as opposed to your opinion on who should be)?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 04/01/2019 08:33:25    2155617

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Its a pity that the competitions cross over. I can see both points of view.

For the individual trying to break into the county team it is a huge disadvantage. e.g. Ian Burke would have made the team at least 2 years earlier if he had the option of playing league games to prove himself.

I think being available for a couple of early FBD games and being in and around the panel in January is a fair compromise.

More to the point what Corofin players are we actually taking about? Who is involved with the county panel (as opposed to your opinion on who should be)?"
Ya I agree, its only fair to Kieran Molloy and Dylan Wall that they get the same chance as others as I am sure they would like a chance to play in the Connaught Championship.
As far as I know Ian Burke, Liam Silke, Kieran Molloy, Bernard Power and Dylan Wall have been involved but am not completely sure to be honest. There could be a few more.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 04/01/2019 12:29:07    2155639

Link

Is john Daly involved?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 04/01/2019 13:43:47    2155648

Link

Both Sweeney's unavailable in 2019 due to work commitments apparently. Patrick only came off the bench occasionally last year but Cathal's spot is up for grabs now. Great chance for Molloy/McDaid.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1670 - 04/01/2019 22:12:47    2155699

Link

Fair play & thanks to them lads for all the service they've given the maroon & white threw thick and thin, hopefully they'll be back again sometime

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 04/01/2019 22:22:32    2155701

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Its a pity that the competitions cross over. I can see both points of view.

More to the point what Corofin players are we actually taking about? Who is involved with the county panel (as opposed to your opinion on who should be)?"
I doubt very much if we would be having this conversation about club v county if moycullen/killanin were winning county titles nearly every year and winning all ireland club titles on a regular basis. No other county management set up in the country imposes such a ridulous policy. Ie if you dont train at the start of the year, you can forget about breaking into the team in the latter stages of the league and championship even if your club win the all ireland.

This policy has cost Galway dearly for 5 years now. The corofin players are clearly victims of their own success. It's hard to imagine the Dublin, Tyrone, mayo or Kerry management teams behaving in this stubborn manner. I suspect their respective county boards would call them in to explain the policy and show them the door. In Galway there appears to be no accountability. We have crashed out of the championship each year after heavy defeats. It's hard to imagine any mayo, Dublin, Tyrone or Kerry manager holding on to their jobs after suffering such heavy defeats.

This is the 6th term for our management team. They are blessed with a huge amount of naturally talented players. The envy of most other counties. They have made progress but could have done far better if they had put our best 15 out on the pitch. Their policy of joining the panel in December regardless of club commitments is appalling.

Last year's league final against Dublin was very telling. Con o Callaghan comes on for Dublin as a sub. Ian Burke not even on match day panel for galway. Dublin win by 4. Enough said.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 04/01/2019 22:28:26    2155702

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "

I doubt very much if we would be having this conversation about club v county if moycullen/killanin were winning county titles nearly every year and winning all ireland club titles on a regular basis. No other county management set up in the country imposes such a ridulous policy. Ie if you dont train at the start of the year, you can forget about breaking into the team in the latter stages of the league and championship even if your club win the all ireland.

This policy has cost Galway dearly for 5 years now. The corofin players are clearly victims of their own success. It's hard to imagine the Dublin, Tyrone, mayo or Kerry management teams behaving in this stubborn manner. I suspect their respective county boards would call them in to explain the policy and show them the door. In Galway there appears to be no accountability. We have crashed out of the championship each year after heavy defeats. It's hard to imagine any mayo, Dublin, Tyrone or Kerry manager holding on to their jobs after suffering such heavy defeats.

This is the 6th term for our management team. They are blessed with a huge amount of naturally talented players. The envy of most other counties. They have made progress but could have done far better if they had put our best 15 out on the pitch. Their policy of joining the panel in December regardless of club commitments is appalling.

Last year's league final against Dublin was very telling. Con o Callaghan comes on for Dublin as a sub. Ian Burke not even on match day panel for galway. Dublin win by 4. Enough said."
Didn't realise there was a policy!

I think it is just natural that it is hard to throw a guy in for his debut in championship. Particularly the last few years we've had Mayo up first. We were just putting structure on the set up for the first time in years and having all the players in camp was crucial. Don't forget how rubbish we were. Different for Dublin because they are winning all their early games by 10 points + so they can try new guys with no risk. Also slipping a player into a well oiled machine is much easier.

KW is conservative. I took the collapse against Rossies to get Burke in. But I don't agree with your Killanin comment. For all his faults I don't doubt KWs honesty/integrity.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 04/01/2019 23:14:30    2155708

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "

Last year's league final against Dublin was very telling. Con o Callaghan comes on for Dublin as a sub. Ian Burke not even on match day panel for galway. Dublin win by 4. Enough said."
They are not really victims of their success. Any Corofin player good enough over the past number of years have played with Galway if they wanted to.
Gary Sice, Ian Burke and Liam Silke have been pretty much nail down starters for Galway when available and rightly so.
The problem is with the likes of Kieran Molloy or Dylan Wall who have loads of potential but are unproven at that level. How can you start them after Corofin's campaign when maybe the likes of Heaney, Bradshaw, Sean Kelly, McDaid, O'Donnell along with a few more are going well in training or previous league games? You can't, simple as.
If anything they are being wronged by the system, not by management.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 04/01/2019 23:28:31    2155710

Link

The thread is about new players in the Galway panel
Not this old club v county dung
FFS

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 05/01/2019 00:08:48    2155713

Link

Galway played NUIG last night in a challenge game in preparation for the FBD Championship. Great to see a few new names wearing the Galway jersey. A lot of talent on show with all Galway players who qualified to play for NUIG playing for them.
Galway:
Manus Breathnach
David Wynne
Declan Kyne
Aidan Claffey
Gearoid Armstrong
Liam Silke
Dylan Wall
Stephen Lawless
Eoin Finnerty
David Cunnane
Jason Leonard