Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The following players are better than what is on the panel and should be involved.

Mark Hehir - Milltown
John Maher - Salthill
Sean Moran - Claregalway

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 439 - 13/09/2018 11:46:24    2141375

Link

Some fella made hi first start of the season for Cortoon last weekend , looks class. Savage is name is.

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 13/09/2018 12:13:52    2141385

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "The following players are better than what is on the panel and should be involved.

Mark Hehir - Milltown
John Maher - Salthill
Sean Moran - Claregalway"
Mark Hehir had a lot going on in his life in recent years so there's always the possibility he'll get another chance. Maher is on Walsh's radar but its a position where Galway are very strong and he's a fair bit behind D'Arcy in the pecking order and in terms of talent.

Sean Moran has never got a chance from memory, he was still an u21 in 2014 so that makes him 25 this year in my book. He's having a very good championship and with Ciaran Duggan getting a call up this year you'd never know but he's another that does't play in a position where Galway are weak.

Its the half back line where Galway really need to improve.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 13/09/2018 12:22:40    2141389

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Mark Hehir had a lot going on in his life in recent years so there's always the possibility he'll get another chance. Maher is on Walsh's radar but its a position where Galway are very strong and he's a fair bit behind D'Arcy in the pecking order and in terms of talent.

Sean Moran has never got a chance from memory, he was still an u21 in 2014 so that makes him 25 this year in my book. He's having a very good championship and with Ciaran Duggan getting a call up this year you'd never know but he's another that does't play in a position where Galway are weak.

Its the half back line where Galway really need to improve."
Totally agree. Half back line so weak although Liam Silkes return will improve it, just need two more

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 13/09/2018 14:32:05    2141450

Link

Mark heir and Sean Moran good decent club players don't have pace for inter county football, in my opinion, think Mikey Boyle from killeerin playing really well he still only about 23 I think might be wrong, with FBD a straight knock out this year not as many games to impress ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 13/09/2018 16:54:47    2141506

Link

Moran from Claregalway is without doubt of the level required for senior inter county. Not sure what age he is but definitely better than some of the lads we have presently. To my knowledge he is also currently hurling with Carnmore so that may occupy some of his other free time. I read in the Tuam Herald he kicked 1-9 for Claregalway. Surely they will be picking up the phone giving him a ring ?

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 13/09/2018 17:22:34    2141511

Link

Was actually at that match he played well got good few frees stand out player on view without a doubt Adrian varely don't get me wrong Sean Moran good player but not near the level for county In my opinion lacks pace big time

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 351 - 13/09/2018 17:53:19    2141517

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Mark heir and Sean Moran good decent club players don't have pace for inter county football, in my opinion, think Mikey Boyle from killeerin playing really well he still only about 23 I think might be wrong, with FBD a straight knock out this year not as many games to impress ,,"
Boyle is about 29 iirc so may be past it at this stage.

Hear a lot of people putting Sean Moran's name forward and I'd have to agree. Single handily got a Claregalway promoted from Intermediate last year and looks like he will single handily keep them up in Senior too. Big man too so he will seamlessly make the transition to the more physical county game.

DaleWater (Galway) - Posts: 29 - 14/09/2018 12:49:07    2141686

Link

The Cooney lad on the underdogs appears to be flying in all the tests so far, interesting to see how hoe does the programme progresses. There isn't a great deal wrong with that Galway panel, going to take a forward of great quality to force his way in over the next few years given the age of the current crop. I'd like to see Dylan Wall given a chance, he has a lot of quality in his game. Thankfully the panel is at the stage of only looking for a few players as opposed to wholesale changes which was required a few years ago.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 14/09/2018 14:03:12    2141709

Link

Replying To DaleWater:  "Boyle is about 29 iirc so may be past it at this stage.

Hear a lot of people putting Sean Moran's name forward and I'd have to agree. Single handily got a Claregalway promoted from Intermediate last year and looks like he will single handily keep them up in Senior too. Big man too so he will seamlessly make the transition to the more physical county game."
Mikey Boyle is only 21. He was Galway minor captain in 2015...he is certainly a player KW should be looking at bringing in. I believe you are thinking of Michéal Boyle.

gaillimhboy (Galway) - Posts: 258 - 14/09/2018 15:58:13    2141748

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Mark Hehir had a lot going on in his life in recent years so there's always the possibility he'll get another chance. Maher is on Walsh's radar but its a position where Galway are very strong and he's a fair bit behind D'Arcy in the pecking order and in terms of talent.

Its the half back line where Galway really need to improve."
Maher is still only 20 and has come on a lot this year. Must be 6'3 or 6'4. Was Salthill's best player in a very poor team performance V Annaghdown where he matched Ciaran Duggan.

Might be a year or two away from inter-county mind.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 19/09/2018 14:20:27    2142699

Link

Replying To JDF:  "The Cooney lad on the underdogs appears to be flying in all the tests so far, interesting to see how hoe does the programme progresses. There isn't a great deal wrong with that Galway panel, going to take a forward of great quality to force his way in over the next few years given the age of the current crop. I'd like to see Dylan Wall given a chance, he has a lot of quality in his game. Thankfully the panel is at the stage of only looking for a few players as opposed to wholesale changes which was required a few years ago."
Are you kidding? A 'forward of great quality' would walk into that current Galway team imo. By popular assessment, after 2018 is done, we have Comer, Walsh & Burke. That's only THREE forwards. The rest still have everything to prove, and have at least 3 spots on the team readily available for them. If any new players in 2019 start to look like 'forwards of great quality', they will not be dropped surely. Look at how easily Sean Kelly claimed a place in 2018, and he's more a 'box to box' forward, if he's 'a forward' at all, than a 'forward of great quality'.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2299 - 19/09/2018 16:00:06    2142741

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Are you kidding? A 'forward of great quality' would walk into that current Galway team imo. By popular assessment, after 2018 is done, we have Comer, Walsh & Burke. That's only THREE forwards. The rest still have everything to prove, and have at least 3 spots on the team readily available for them. If any new players in 2019 start to look like 'forwards of great quality', they will not be dropped surely. Look at how easily Sean Kelly claimed a place in 2018, and he's more a 'box to box' forward, if he's 'a forward' at all, than a 'forward of great quality'."
A fit Mike Daly is a top forward as good as anyone imo

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 308 - 19/09/2018 20:48:18    2142796

Link

Replying To Trucker1:  "A fit Mike Daly is a top forward as good as anyone imo"
You musht be the only lad that thinks that. He plays his own game and not the game plan set up by big Kev. Comes home from training and Val telling him to do the opposite as he was advised on earlier.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 20/09/2018 10:14:55    2142836

Link

Sean Moran Claregalway and Michael Boyle Killererin both impressive but both are forwards, and it is half backs we badly need.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 974 - 20/09/2018 11:08:16    2142850

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "You musht be the only lad that thinks that. He plays his own game and not the game plan set up by big Kev. Comes home from training and Val telling him to do the opposite as he was advised on earlier."
Daly is only 22 and was injured for most of this year. He was mostly with the u21s last year. Give him a chance, top top quality player and I'd be surprised if a good few didn't have the same view. Agree with you that Sean Moran should be given a shot in a few league games, been flying at club level for a few years. dunno if he has much interest in playing county as surely he has been asked in already

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 308 - 20/09/2018 21:32:30    2143025

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "You musht be the only lad that thinks that. He plays his own game and not the game plan set up by big Kev. Comes home from training and Val telling him to do the opposite as he was advised on earlier."
Well I think it also. Daly has the potential to be a phenomenal player. A clear second behind Walsh on natural talent levels within the squad and should be a mainstay of the team for the next decade. Walsh clearly thought enough of his tactical ability to throw him into a championship debut against Mayo as an U21. Your little story sounds like highstool in a bar gibberish

The original poster had a fair point about it being tough to break into the Galway forwards. In this day and age your only going to leave 3 or 4 out and out forwards up. Everyone else is essentially runners who'll be tracking. Those 4 looks to be Daly, Walsh, Comer and Burke for the foreseeable future provided no injuries

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 91 - 21/09/2018 11:07:56    2143129

Link

We have exciting forwards but they are far from clinical. They created a load of goal chances this year but converted approx 1 In 4. 2 out of 4 against the dubs. Also loads of wides.

Brannigan was always a dodgy shooter but his accuracy in the league was excellent. Unfortunately he seemed to go back to old firm in championship.

Ur just never confident when we shoot until the flag is raised. Don't like to be harking back to glory days but Ja, PJ & Mikey d, always seemed to convert in their pomp.

Definitely think we need a superstar to break through from underage. Evan Murphy has the potential to be that played but a lot of lads had the potential and never stepped up.

PS. Had KW been ratified for another year or what's the story??

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1035 - 24/09/2018 22:49:11    2143625

Link

They had their first meeting back there a few days ago. Apparently they spoke about Dublin for 80% of it. Big Kev remains in charge for at least another season.

Apparantly Patrick Sweeney and Adrian Varely havent been invited back in. Few lads should be keeping an eye on the blower over the coming weeks expecting the impersonal phone call from Brian Silke. Big Kev doesnt get his phone expenses covered which in this day and age is a joke.

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 160 - 25/09/2018 12:03:16    2143694

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "They had their first meeting back there a few days ago. Apparently they spoke about Dublin for 80% of it. Big Kev remains in charge for at least another season.

Apparantly Patrick Sweeney and Adrian Varely havent been invited back in. Few lads should be keeping an eye on the blower over the coming weeks expecting the impersonal phone call from Brian Silke. Big Kev doesnt get his phone expenses covered which in this day and age is a joke."
Good stuff EugeneFox. Any other details of the meeting? Does anyone have news on Cillian McDaid and whether he's heading back to Oz or sticking around?

I'd echo the views expressed above on Michael Daly. He's going to be a key player for Galway for the next few years, a special talent but had his year hampered by injury. Our 4 key forwards are without doubt Comer, Walsh, Burke and Daly and they should be left as much as possible in the opposition half of the field with workers tracking back. What an exciting quartet of forwards that is. All very different and as a front 4 as good as any in the country.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 25/09/2018 16:39:00    2143773

Link