Galway Forum

New Players For Football Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just wondering peoples opinions on players that are ready to make the breakthrough next season. I liked the look of Ryan Forde for the 21s this year, Liam Silke will be back and id be hopeful for Kieren Molloy to see more game time along hopefully with Dylan Wall. Not sure what the story with Cillian Mc Daid is..

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 13/08/2018 14:19:24    2132741

Link

Give Mulkerrins the no 6 jersey.....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 13/08/2018 22:21:10    2132982

Link

if the players being brought in are to be effective they need to already be on a strength and conditioning program....looking at the acid test v dublin we were withered by minute 40 with their power strength and speed running at us incessantly .... there are 7/8 months now to be put to good use in this regard
the players mentioned above along with dessie conneally and rob finnerty as well as some corofin players but the issue with them is availability

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 560 - 14/08/2018 00:13:41    2133021

Link

What are ye people on about? Mulkerrins might of been good in minor and u21 but saying to give the no.6 jersey to him is riduclous ! Hes no way good enough for senior yet or built enough for senior nor is rob finnerty who in my opinion is overrated ans is just good at frees ! Sean andy was an exception but just give these boys time to develop and dont rush them into senior because there is a huge jump !
I would like to see paul donnelan from mountbellew called into galway panel hes been consistent the last few seasons , blistering pace and was on the 21 team a few years ago !
Kieran molloy should be given more time in the league next year and having liam silke back should help also

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 63 - 14/08/2018 15:37:06    2133254

Link

Replying To galwayXI:  "What are ye people on about? Mulkerrins might of been good in minor and u21 but saying to give the no.6 jersey to him is riduclous ! Hes no way good enough for senior yet or built enough for senior nor is rob finnerty who in my opinion is overrated ans is just good at frees ! Sean andy was an exception but just give these boys time to develop and dont rush them into senior because there is a huge jump !
I would like to see paul donnelan from mountbellew called into galway panel hes been consistent the last few seasons , blistering pace and was on the 21 team a few years ago !
Kieran molloy should be given more time in the league next year and having liam silke back should help also"
allow them to develop by not developing them?? please explain

club players are in the most part on holidays for long tracts of the yearand again in most part do not have a sufficient strength and condotioning facet to their preparation so at the very least they need to be in the squad for pre season and fbd games (admittedly most mentioned will be with colleges) but to exclude them totally is the narrow minded thinking we are trying to get away from

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 560 - 14/08/2018 21:24:03    2133399

Link

Would like to see Wall, McDaid, Molloy, Evan Murphy if he isn't playing soccer all given a run in League/FBD. Won't develop a really deep panel by playing the top lads in every game. We all thought we had a very deep panel this year but when it came to the monaghan game and bench players when we had a few injuries we were struggling.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 15/08/2018 10:03:35    2133493

Link

Any forwards out there, not sure we will get much out of Armstrong next year.

Def need to see Molloy there next year.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 151 - 15/08/2018 11:54:31    2133536

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Any forwards out there, not sure we will get much out of Armstrong next year.

Def need to see Molloy there next year."
Padraic Cunningham should get more of a look in next year. Very dangerous forward and A few league games in a row could benefit him massively.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 15/08/2018 12:43:07    2133559

Link

need to play these guys in the league....cant play all the same players from first league through super 8s if we make it and then ask them to go out against a rested dublin team in a semi final- no wonder we were blown away second half

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 560 - 15/08/2018 14:15:54    2133595

Link

Replying To Galwayspur:  "Any forwards out there, not sure we will get much out of Armstrong next year.

Def need to see Molloy there next year."
Rob Finnerty from the U20s has all the skills in the locker if he can get a bit more football saavy as he gets older he could be a big asset. Strictly an inside line scorer though so can't see him getting much of a look in with Comer and burke holding those two spots.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 15/08/2018 14:47:13    2133608

Link

whats the story with players from last years surprise team Monivea Abbey. They got to a semi final. Playing some good stuff this year. Trevor Mullins picked at midfield for the senior team of the year, big stong midfield player good at fielding a ball. Criag Kennedy man of the match the last few games with consistent scoring.

Fungui (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 16/08/2018 13:34:04    2133837

Link

Replying To Fungui:  "whats the story with players from last years surprise team Monivea Abbey. They got to a semi final. Playing some good stuff this year. Trevor Mullins picked at midfield for the senior team of the year, big stong midfield player good at fielding a ball. Criag Kennedy man of the match the last few games with consistent scoring."
exactly.what is the story?
the fact is though if they were good enough and interested they would be there.end of story.

jj99 (None) - Posts: 157 - 16/08/2018 21:23:10    2133953

Link

Liam Silke and Dylan Wall back from the States will be a huge boost to the county.

Rumors of McDaid coming back would really see our defence start to tighten up and adding pace.

Also would have fully fit Duggan and a back to fitness of Conroy and Ó Curraoin adding depth a midfield. Daly should also be back fit. Its depth in the squad that's required especially with introduction of super 8's.

Great to see Mulkerins given the FBD to see where he's at, then make the call for national league, then see where hes at. Id like to see the same time given to Mulloy (Ive been a bit of a critic of him but he came on towards end of Dublin game of KW obviously sees a future in him), Comerford, Finnerty, Cunningham (he was given game time here and there so maybe let him play all FBD games and see where he really is at), McHugh as well who had a great league last year but seem not to be fancied come championship.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 607 - 21/08/2018 11:37:34    2135189

Link

Young mulkerin will still be u20 next year
and from what I seen at sigerson and fbd is not ready for senior county yet
let him play some fbd maybe but he will have plenty football with nuig
when championship starts leave him with u20 team his last year underage

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1067 - 21/08/2018 19:47:46    2135415

Link

Mulkerrin looks a real talent. He needs to develop physically but who's top say how far on he will be next March if he's on a program, and I presume he is.

Evan Murphy seems to be there already physically. Definitely has the talent. Had he the hunger and desire to step up. Certainly every effort should be made top get him on board so we cam find out.

Molloy, Mcdaid, Silke definitely going to improve us.

Possible Wall as will.

Who would have predicted Sean Kelly's year last January. Someone could come out of woodwork we are not expecting.

Even winning teams need 2 to 3 be players every year. So hopefully a few of the above mentioned will step up. I am positive by nature but I doo believe we have a strong conveyor belt chiming through. Much stronger than in other years. Hopefully they stay in the system.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1037 - 23/08/2018 22:56:37    2136131

Link

Anyone in the Senior Championship put their hand up last week?

How did Ryan Forde play, he was outstanding in the u20's last game against Roscommon.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 03/09/2018 11:50:47    2138735

Link

I think you can forget about evan murphy,
id say his future is in soccer in league of ireland
watched him play center half for galway utd lately
and he looks made for it really
hes a big strong lad now too
be a pity to loose him to soccer but that's how it looks

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1067 - 04/09/2018 03:41:19    2139024

Link

I see young cillian mc daid is home from Australia,but don't be getting too excited he is heading back to Australia oct/Nov for a minimum of six months.pity really but i suppose he has to try out the aussie experience while still young.

Cornetto2 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 10/09/2018 11:42:27    2140668

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "I think you can forget about evan murphy,
id say his future is in soccer in league of ireland
watched him play center half for galway utd lately
and he looks made for it really
hes a big strong lad now too
be a pity to loose him to soccer but that's how it looks"
Came on in last 2 minutes for Salthill yesterday. Hopefully he can keep playing both and if the soccer takes off for him, best of luck.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 283 - 10/09/2018 16:01:12    2140781

Link

Shame about McDaid but was very surprised when the rumours started. I'm even more surprised Evan Murhpy came on last Sunday given he's signed for Galway United.

I hear the Costello lad was very impressive for Miltown last weekend, he's u20 again next year so too early to start talking about him making the senior panel. Anyone seen Cunningham in action for Headford? I'd expect him to see more of him during the league next year.

Any other lads look the part in recent weeks?

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 13/09/2018 10:56:52    2141365

Link