Galway Forum

Joe Brolly V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Brolly is more satirical poet than football analyst, I think. That seems to be why he likes to pour scorn on teams and individuals, when he gets the opportunity, as opposed to saying anything of analytical interest. Like many poets, Brolly needs a muse. Mayo and 'puke football' are two of his more popular ones recently, but it wasn't very many moons ago when he was scoffing at soft, 'wide open' teams like ourselves (under Muller). At that point in Brolly's 'analytical journey', he frequently eulogized the great defenses of Tyrone & Donegal, and tended to scoff and pour scorn at 'naive' practitioners like Kerry ,who couldn't seem to hack it in 2003, 2005, 2008, 2012. He's done a full 360 now on 'puke football', leaving his 'analytical credibility' in a fairly compromised state.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2282 - 31/05/2019 22:40:32    2189527

Link

Not sure why this is even a topic. Why do people care. He never analyses a match, tactics, technical strengths or weaknesses, how one team might counteract the other. It is all generalisations on the overall state of the game or the aesthetics of the game.

For me he has become an irrelevance.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 31/05/2019 22:41:41    2189528

Link

There's no doubt he is controversial but he is also a ratings winner on the Sunday game and that's why he is on the panel. If he was such a huge turn off I've no doubt he'd be dropped. I've often seen him mingling with supporters from various counties before and after games and there is no shortage of people lining up for an autograph or selfie.

Nobody takes him that seriously unless of course you are on the receiving end of his criticism. Sometimes he can be critical of certain mayo players. Some of these players were behind the coup that removed Connelly and Holmes. At the time, they argued that the management were to blame for the team not winning Sam. They got their way but have still come up short. Is it unfair of Brolly to highlight this. I don't think so. To ignore this issue would be unfair on Connelly and Holmes.

A number of years ago, he heaped praise on Donegal and Tyrone and in particular their defensive set up. According to him, Gaelic football was changed forever and that this system was unbeatable. Coaches around the country got sucked into this folly and because of that the game was virtually destroyed.

Thankfully Dublin, Mayo and kerry stuck to the principles of attacking football. Dublin have illustrated that attacking football is the way forward if you wish to succeed. That will always be the case. Systems will come and go but the principles of the game will remain unchanged.

In recent years, he has criticised Kevin Walsh's tactics. He called us soft initially but then critises Kevin Walsh when he brought a more cynical and clinical edge to our game. That's unfair critism as most of the top teams display similar characteristics.

Brolly can also see that we have talented players in our team and so he has launched a number of stinging attacks towards what he sees as Kevin Walsh's overly defensive tactics. Brolly might have a point there but he should give credit to Kevin Walsh for the progress made each year.

Either way I doubt if Kevin Walsh takes much notice of what he says. When all the injured Players return, Galway could have a very good summer and Brolly may well have to say that he got it wrong again. That certainly would be entertaining.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 01/06/2019 01:05:58    2189547

Link

Joe lives in a world where the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. He's like one of the shock-jocks on Fox News in the states; capable of the occasional valid insight, but deprived of credibility by everything he's said before and after. Shame, he's clearly a clever man, but he's figured out the easy route to fame instead of putting a bit of effort in and standing out as an actual voice for the game.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2712 - 01/06/2019 02:39:33    2189550

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Joe lives in a world where the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. He's like one of the shock-jocks on Fox News in the states; capable of the occasional valid insight, but deprived of credibility by everything he's said before and after. Shame, he's clearly a clever man, but he's figured out the easy route to fame instead of putting a bit of effort in and standing out as an actual voice for the game."
TBH I think Joe is bored of Gaa football. It's hard to blame him... the competition is in our faces day in day out, and it's no competition! He also looks at the big picture - which is.........life..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 02/06/2019 18:11:25    2189861

Link

Not sure he is a ratings winner. If you want to see highlights of a game you have only one option generally. To be honest I longe watching Whelan and TOS is good. But I generally turn JB off. Yes he has a point about state of football BUT JOE, U SAID IT, WE'VE HEARD U ......... CAN WE TAKE ABOUT THE GAME NOW!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 966 - 02/06/2019 23:30:13    2190035

Link

I think we should rename him joe Dubs brolly
he seems to be obsessed with them
on his most recent appearance on the sunday game
he must have said the Dubs about 7 or 8 times in converstation
likewise he has a real fixation on kicking mayo when there down
I do hope our neighbours do bounce back and make super 8s
it allways makes things more interesting when there about
im sure the gaa are hoping they get there too
there supporters follow them in their thousands without fail

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 999 - 04/06/2019 11:22:37    2190442

Link

Joe is dead right to have a cut a Galway given the negative dull style of football. Exciting Football should absolutely be lauded by our National Broadcaster, at least Joe hammers Galway and Derry in equal, Ciaran Whelan has become an apologist of the worse nature.

My heart breaks a little more every time i see Shane Walsh sprinting back the field to mark 30 SQ FT of empty space.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 221 - 05/06/2019 10:52:51    2190777

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Joe is dead right to have a cut a Galway given the negative dull style of football. Exciting Football should absolutely be lauded by our National Broadcaster, at least Joe hammers Galway and Derry in equal, Ciaran Whelan has become an apologist of the worse nature.

My heart breaks a little more every time i see Shane Walsh sprinting back the field to mark 30 SQ FT of empty space."
Our 'style' was 'acceptable' under Mulholland, and won no Connacht titles. The current 'negative dull style' under KW has a chance to deliver 3 out of 4 Connacht titles. Hard to argue with those stats!

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2282 - 05/06/2019 11:25:17    2190788

Link

Some people have very short memories when it comes to assessing Kevin Walsh. We were a shambles when he took over and he has achieved a hell of a lot in his tenure to date to bring us to where we now are.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 05/06/2019 13:14:52    2190847

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Our 'style' was 'acceptable' under Mulholland, and won no Connacht titles. The current 'negative dull style' under KW has a chance to deliver 3 out of 4 Connacht titles. Hard to argue with those stats!"
For Galway, Connacht titles should be entry level at this stage. Have to make our mark at the later rounds of the championship by now, instead of being beaten heavily at 1/4 finals (and 1 semi') stage, as has been default under KW.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 05/06/2019 13:26:44    2190857

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Our 'style' was 'acceptable' under Mulholland, and won no Connacht titles. The current 'negative dull style' under KW has a chance to deliver 3 out of 4 Connacht titles. Hard to argue with those stats!"
Mullholland wasn't lauded, and is rightly called out above. The first one was great and no doubt he made us very difficult to beat. The knock on effect has he has made it very hard for us to win against decent opposition.

The complete mismanagement of the side against Monaghan last year is a shining example of his failings

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 221 - 05/06/2019 13:58:54    2190874

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Mullholland wasn't lauded, and is rightly called out above. The first one was great and no doubt he made us very difficult to beat. The knock on effect has he has made it very hard for us to win against decent opposition.

The complete mismanagement of the side against Monaghan last year is a shining example of his failings"
Monaghan were a fine team last summer and they needed to win to qualify while we didn't.
That shone through in the performance.
Give credit where it's due, Kevin is making progress.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 05/06/2019 14:39:27    2190891

Link

Replying To Barnowl94:  "Monaghan were a fine team last summer and they needed to win to qualify while we didn't.
That shone through in the performance.
Give credit where it's due, Kevin is making progress."
Is credit where its due related to Monaghan or KW? I certainly think Monaghan were good value for their win in Salthill and fair play to them. I've given KW the appropriate level of credit by saying he has made Galway very hard to beat. Where else do i give credit here? Galway exited the championship on the back of 2 very tame performances last year, following tame exits to Kerry and Tipperary in subsequent years.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 221 - 05/06/2019 14:58:31    2190899

Link

Kevin has done a great job with Galway progressing every year and learning as they go. No longer getting hammered by Mayo 3 years undefeated in all competitions. A FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP win for Galway over Kerry in 53 years beating them down in kerry also in the league. 4 Connacht finals in a row. Division 1 promotion. Allianz Football League Division 1 Final. First All Ireland semi-final since 2001 every Galway football fan will appreciate what he has done for the county and any Galway "fan" looking to media showman Joe Brolly for guidance on Galway football should take a serious look at themselves.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 378 - 05/06/2019 18:05:48    2190957

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Kevin has done a great job with Galway progressing every year and learning as they go. No longer getting hammered by Mayo 3 years undefeated in all competitions. A FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP win for Galway over Kerry in 53 years beating them down in kerry also in the league. 4 Connacht finals in a row. Division 1 promotion. Allianz Football League Division 1 Final. First All Ireland semi-final since 2001 every Galway football fan will appreciate what he has done for the county and any Galway "fan" looking to media showman Joe Brolly for guidance on Galway football should take a serious look at themselves."
Well this is the thing. Joe Brolly said in article last year about Kevin Walsh's style of play and how he got talking 2 a few fans from Corofin and how they do not like the style of play the county team is playing. So he probably believes this Galway team are capable of a lot more then they style of play that Galway are playing and should play the Corofin style. Not defending him whatsoever as like a lot of people would not like the way he conductes himself on the sunday game.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 336 - 05/06/2019 20:18:19    2190990

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Well this is the thing. Joe Brolly said in article last year about Kevin Walsh's style of play and how he got talking 2 a few fans from Corofin and how they do not like the style of play the county team is playing. So he probably believes this Galway team are capable of a lot more then they style of play that Galway are playing and should play the Corofin style. Not defending him whatsoever as like a lot of people would not like the way he conductes himself on the sunday game."
I spoke to 10 corofin fans and they said they love it come on man do you really believe everything Brolly says ?? how do you know he didnt make it up?? What if it was two ballygar boys who didnt like the style would kevin have to go to keep the two ballygar boys happy

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 378 - 06/06/2019 00:56:09    2191066

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "Kevin has done a great job with Galway progressing every year and learning as they go. No longer getting hammered by Mayo 3 years undefeated in all competitions. A FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP win for Galway over Kerry in 53 years beating them down in kerry also in the league. 4 Connacht finals in a row. Division 1 promotion. Allianz Football League Division 1 Final. First All Ireland semi-final since 2001 every Galway football fan will appreciate what he has done for the county and any Galway "fan" looking to media showman Joe Brolly for guidance on Galway football should take a serious look at themselves."
Oddly enough no one is getting hammered by Mayo anymore.

This blind loyalty is absolutely misguided. I'm not saying Galway aren't more competitive than they were previously, but 15 men behind the ball and hoping Walsh or Comer can pull some magic out of the hat isn't exactly a managerial masterclass . Its come at the expense of playing something largely worth watching. Joe Brolly can be distasteful, but in terms of criticism of the style of play under KW he is bang on the money, even if it did reach fever pitch under Tally.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 221 - 06/06/2019 11:04:04    2191119

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "I spoke to 10 corofin fans and they said they love it come on man do you really believe everything Brolly says ?? how do you know he didnt make it up?? What if it was two ballygar boys who didnt like the style would kevin have to go to keep the two ballygar boys happy"
Brolly is full of Sxxx. Look, the most realistic Corofin supporters know the story with different set ups etc. Brolly went on about the Corofin kids who played at half time on Patrick's day and how its engrained in them what style they play. You cannot highlight one club like that and presume it runs through every team.. each team in each club is different. Our under 14s got destroyed in the feile final v Claregalway 5 15 to no score.. No Score? I mean what would the messiah Joe say about that?
He is a glorified mouth piece.

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 365 - 06/06/2019 11:09:35    2191122

Link

Guys I didn't say I believed him I'm just telling you what he said in the article. Jeez both of ye take a chill pill.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 336 - 06/06/2019 11:53:46    2191136

Link