Galway Forum

Joe Brolly V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

As I write this first of all I must say that most things this man says/writes I take with a pinch of salt.
I never rated the man as a footballer nor do I as a journalist/sportts pundit.BUT after reading his piece in yesterdays Sunday Times I had to put pen to paper...now as a pundit he has every right to give his opinion on footballers/manager/gameplans etc thats what he gets paid for in his spare time, but to condone and even encourage violence on the field of play is another thing. Not his best piece of journalism
The 1st of three Galway players he refers to are..
Paul Conroy..he writes that after PC dragged AOS out of a ruck in the Mayo match.. and I quote "AOS should have got up and busted him" ?? To be fair not AOS style.

2nd player..whos name this pundit clearly didnt know ,No.3 as he referred to him Sean Andy. quote "O"Gara poleaxed him, knocking him senseless, he had it coming" ? (this lad is 22)

3rd player Damien Comer, said that Philly Mac quote"stuck his forehead under Damo's chin for 10 seconds (lets see what you got) Damo had nothing.?
Did Galway lose this game?

One last remark..who would agree with this? He was told by a Corofin supporter at the Dublin match "Is it any wonder our lads dont like playing for the county" ?

tincan (Galway) - Posts: 79 - 26/03/2018 10:30:11    2088160

Link

He has to write about something. We're a bit more interesting than Derry at the moment anyway, or maybe there's a story there for next week. Probably looking to build profile too, if he's just joined the Sunday Times? Did you hear what Brolly said in the Sunday Times? A lot haven't heard of the Sunday Times!! Brolly could be a good signing for them. Certainly no reason in the world to be getting agitated by any of his opinions.

To take positives, it's probably a sign that we're improving, gaining attention. Anyway, I see that Tyrone/Paddy Tally is sucking up a fair bit of the crap for our new found 'hard edge'. What's new there? If we get Tyrone to wear that bit, we can continue to wear the old aristocrats/'football as it should be played' hat, that we're so fond of.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2262 - 26/03/2018 11:25:23    2088198

Link

Better to be written about than not at All...shows Galway making progress

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9819 - 26/03/2018 13:03:36    2088256

Link

Totally agree with Pope here..see what he has to say about his own county next week. Tbh I wouldnt even read his column.

westsidestory (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 26/03/2018 13:43:11    2088273

Link

A few years ago I remember Brolly having a right cut off Galway on The Sunday game after they lost a game rather meekly. Said they weren't serious about their football in Galway and were soft and so on and so on.

In other words Joe likes to talk a lot.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1632 - 26/03/2018 16:50:15    2088371

Link

2 be honest would not get over excited about what any pundit says i would always listen but not get 2 concerned they change there mind every match I bet if anyone asked any pundit this time last year when Galway played Kildare in division 2 final how would Galway do in league in 2018 v Dublin Kerry Tyrone and mayo the big 4 not one of them would have said they would win 3 draw 1 ( myself included) so no matter how we do on Sunday we are improving. Will we win an All Ireland in next 2-3 years prob not but we still a top 6 team

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 321 - 26/03/2018 17:43:49    2088401

Link

The only way to shut Brolly up is to mention one name - Tomas Mannion, he effectively ended Brolly's career in the 1998 AISF. He had Brolly sitting in the dugout by half time.
Maybe this is the reason for his dislike of Galway.

Fr_Tod_Unctious (Galway) - Posts: 90 - 26/03/2018 21:07:36    2088490

Link

Replying To Fr_Tod_Unctious:  "The only way to shut Brolly up is to mention one name - Tomas Mannion, he effectively ended Brolly's career in the 1998 AISF. He had Brolly sitting in the dugout by half time.
Maybe this is the reason for his dislike of Galway."
Tomás Mannion - what an absolute hero!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 579 - 27/03/2018 08:31:40    2088582

Link

Replying To Fr_Tod_Unctious:  "The only way to shut Brolly up is to mention one name - Tomas Mannion, he effectively ended Brolly's career in the 1998 AISF. He had Brolly sitting in the dugout by half time.
From the match report at the time:

"Galway's defence answered the questions with a cohesive display that included a great afternoon's work on Joe Brolly by Tomas Mannion who eventually had the satisfaction of watching his eminent opponent being substituted in the 44th minute - much to the Dungiven man's dissatisfaction and the bafflement of most present who couldn't understand why a team should replace their most potent forward."

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 538 - 27/03/2018 11:57:38    2088652

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "From the match report at the time:

"Galway's defence answered the questions with a cohesive display that included a great afternoon's work on Joe Brolly by Tomas Mannion who eventually had the satisfaction of watching his eminent opponent being substituted in the 44th minute - much to the Dungiven man's dissatisfaction and the bafflement of most present who couldn't understand why a team should replace their most potent forward.""
#whatafilingsystem !. Nice quote

Spudsareboilin (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 27/03/2018 13:29:02    2088696

Link

Yes, Padraic Joyce gave Brolly the dig he deserved in reference to that game in an article last year. It does seem to be a sore point with Brolly.

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 759 - 27/03/2018 13:53:42    2088713

Link

yes PJ said that about Brolly last year, very true. We understand why he hates Galway but he seems to get more satisfaction knocking the Mayo boys, calls them "celebrity losers"

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1218 - 27/03/2018 20:35:20    2088854

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "A few years ago I remember Brolly having a right cut off Galway on The Sunday game after they lost a game rather meekly. Said they weren't serious about their football in Galway and were soft and so on and so on.

In other words Joe likes to talk a lot."
I remember that rant and he also said that unless we adopted a defensive structure we were going no where. Now we have one he wants us to go back to being wide open at the back!!!
Ps Conroy, Comer and O Ceallaigh gave as good as they got or better so his assertion that Dublin got the better of us physically is total nonsense

Trucker1 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 28/03/2018 18:17:18    2089123

Link

I actually find Brolly to be quite entertaining most of the time. I agree with most of his criticisms of modern, defensive and frankly boring Gaelic Football.I think its a shame to see quality forwards like Comer and Shane Walsh being misused the way they are at the moment.
We will have to attack next Sunday if we want to have any chance and we will have to take our goal chances which we didn't do the last day.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 28/03/2018 19:47:05    2089143

Link

He's a sensationalist. I don't think he believes all he writes but he is trying to provoke discussion on topics by going ott.

What really annoys me ous how he personalises comments.

What be said about AOS was nasty and inaccurate.

Again he said Galway No 3 had it coming .......please explain...... don't just accuse people of something.

Had a real go at Gooch for making a few quid out of his profile with np hint of irony.

Had a personal attack on new DG just because he's as accountant. Apparently that means he knows nothing about has grass roots; coz he's an accountant!

Sensationalism cam be entertaining but leave out personal attacks

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 965 - 28/03/2018 22:43:45    2089204

Link

Replying To Barnowl94:  "I actually find Brolly to be quite entertaining most of the time. I agree with most of his criticisms of modern, defensive and frankly boring Gaelic Football.I think its a shame to see quality forwards like Comer and Shane Walsh being misused the way they are at the moment.
We will have to attack next Sunday if we want to have any chance and we will have to take our goal chances which we didn't do the last day."
Nobody enjoys boring football. However, boring football for me is a team that moves the ball slowly up the pitch with relentless lateral handpassing. This style of football is killing the game.
Galway's style is the complete opposite of this.
When in possession, we move the ball very quickly through running at pace and direct kick passing.
When we don't have the ball, we certainly do get plenty numbers back. Football has long since moved on from the days of players staying static in their positions. They attack and defend as units now.
Watch any field sport in the world and you'll see that every team defends with as many players as possible, when they don't have possession.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 538 - 28/03/2018 23:23:28    2089218

Link

With Tally gone he will need to come up with a new villain this year poor Kevin could be in for a rough time.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 362 - 30/05/2019 16:13:35    2189158

Link

In fairness Brolly did say that the best thing he could say of Tomás Mannion was that he, Brolly a forward, kept Tomás a back, to one point!

Mayfair (Galway) - Posts: 37 - 30/05/2019 18:13:07    2189186

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "With Tally gone he will need to come up with a new villain this year poor Kevin could be in for a rough time."
Kevin can retire as a succesful manager tomorrow having turned around the shambles he was handed...

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1577 - 31/05/2019 18:15:41    2189463

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "He's a sensationalist. I don't think he believes all he writes but he is trying to provoke discussion on topics by going ott.

What really annoys me ous how he personalises comments.

What be said about AOS was nasty and inaccurate.

Again he said Galway No 3 had it coming .......please explain...... don't just accuse people of something.

Had a real go at Gooch for making a few quid out of his profile with np hint of irony.

Had a personal attack on new DG just because he's as accountant. Apparently that means he knows nothing about has grass roots; coz he's an accountant!

Sensationalism cam be entertaining but leave out personal attacks"
I dont find him entertaining in the slightest. I think singling out players is horrible particularly if you have a national platform and the worst case of this was blaming Aidan o shea for Mayo not winning an all Ireland. How ridiculous and nasty. I wouldn't even be a big o shea fan but teams lose matches not individuals. Why is he on rte, the papers pay him out of their own pocket but rte is government funded and the public dont like him. And I dont believe his controversial comments bring in viewers. The Sunday game was always popular and the majority of viewers dont want him

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 877 - 31/05/2019 19:53:24    2189481

Link