Galway Forum

Galway minor hurlers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Pres. Athenry have a good team ....2019 could be their year......

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 18/03/2019 20:58:42    2173512

Link

We have won 3 out of the last 4 minors. What re so few of these coming through. In my opinion, if everyone was fit and available we would still be starting the same senior team as 2 years ago. Limericks starting forwards are all u24 and yet we have a much better underage record. Any opinions on what we are doing wrong?

onlyhurling (Galway) - Posts: 792 - 04/04/2019 09:43:58    2177628

Link

Maybe we have learned from 20 years of starting 18 and 19 year olds (Keril Wade, Niall Healy et al) too soon coming out of being star minors and are waiting for them to mature to 24, 25 before becoming seniors unless they are just an outrageous talent and physically strong enough to take senior hurling ie Conor Whelan.

Most of the All Ireland winners are still 26, 27 and barely any are over 30. If everyone is fit this summer we'll be close enough.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 04/04/2019 12:06:08    2177659

Link

Does anyone know has the 2019 panel being picked yet.

daveslad62 (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 14/05/2019 15:23:21    2184005

Link

Replying To onlyhurling:  "We have won 3 out of the last 4 minors. What re so few of these coming through. In my opinion, if everyone was fit and available we would still be starting the same senior team as 2 years ago. Limericks starting forwards are all u24 and yet we have a much better underage record. Any opinions on what we are doing wrong?"
I think there is a case for favoritism on certain players. Certain players often get the benefit of the doubt due to their name/club/past achievements rather than the on form player. This is just my opinion but i think this can prevent the progression of players as they are not getting game time and secondly get fed up of it. I know this is probably the case in other counties too but it seems very evident in Galway

pullhard96 (Galway) - Posts: 49 - 14/05/2019 15:42:45    2184023

Link

Replying To onlyhurling:  "We have won 3 out of the last 4 minors. What re so few of these coming through. In my opinion, if everyone was fit and available we would still be starting the same senior team as 2 years ago. Limericks starting forwards are all u24 and yet we have a much better underage record. Any opinions on what we are doing wrong?"
Look The Limerick minor team of 13 and 14, who had great battles with Galway only came good last year, except for Kyle Hayes who was on the All Ireland Final team of 16. Have Galway a much better under age age record that Galway this decade. At minor level Galway have the best record without doubt. However at U21 Level they met three times in this decade and Limerick won two and If Leo O'Connor had not inexplicably played Kevin Downes in 2011, when he was quite clearly unfit to play, LK might won that as well. Having said all that I that I am sure yere excellant minor successes of the past few years will bear more fruit in the not too distant future.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2211 - 14/05/2019 19:18:44    2184096

Link

What is this years team supposed to be like?

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 641 - 14/05/2019 20:11:19    2184117

Link

Galway have a serious minor team again.... good fowards....

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 14/05/2019 22:32:29    2184165

Link

Galway have the best minor record because we pick the best minor hurlers, small wristy fast lads who can pop over points or win handy frees all day long. and winning minor is great and all but these lads aren't worth a $%^& when it comes to senior cause there to small and light. We need to start changing our minor and u20 team to an academy team rather than just a winning team. Start picking lads who display potential of the attributes that make a senior hurler and not just someone who can run away from their marker and pop a handy point at minor level. The reason Conor Cooney, Joeseph Cooney, Glynn, Niall Burke and Flynn are still there is because there the best senior hurlers. most of the good minor lads of recent years are too small and light for the job at senior.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 244 - 15/05/2019 08:39:51    2184210

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "Galway have the best minor record because we pick the best minor hurlers, small wristy fast lads who can pop over points or win handy frees all day long. and winning minor is great and all but these lads aren't worth a $%^& when it comes to senior cause there to small and light. We need to start changing our minor and u20 team to an academy team rather than just a winning team. Start picking lads who display potential of the attributes that make a senior hurler and not just someone who can run away from their marker and pop a handy point at minor level. The reason Conor Cooney, Joeseph Cooney, Glynn, Niall Burke and Flynn are still there is because there the best senior hurlers. most of the good minor lads of recent years are too small and light for the job at senior."
last years Minor team was full of big strong players.

onlyhurling (Galway) - Posts: 792 - 15/05/2019 11:15:11    2184259

Link

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "Galway have the best minor record because we pick the best minor hurlers, small wristy fast lads who can pop over points or win handy frees all day long. and winning minor is great and all but these lads aren't worth a $%^& when it comes to senior cause there to small and light. We need to start changing our minor and u20 team to an academy team rather than just a winning team. Start picking lads who display potential of the attributes that make a senior hurler and not just someone who can run away from their marker and pop a handy point at minor level. The reason Conor Cooney, Joeseph Cooney, Glynn, Niall Burke and Flynn are still there is because there the best senior hurlers. most of the good minor lads of recent years are too small and light for the job at senior."
This is a ridiculous statement. Look at other top hurling counties such as Tipp and Kilkenny. They only pull a couple minors each year that actually make it to senior level. The only exception is when you have a team that you just have to bring them all to senior - such as Limerick with there current crop. But to say that we should change our academy's to suit big men baffles me. Hurling is a game of skill and skill is what wins games. Strength and conditioning allows for even small men to take hits and be the best they cant. I know we need a certain amount of big players too but they have to be able to hurl. If there only big then let them go play rugby!

pullhard96 (Galway) - Posts: 49 - 15/05/2019 14:42:09    2184316

Link

Last few Galway minor teams have had plenty of big lads in them.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1632 - 15/05/2019 15:08:47    2184324

Link

You have to be exceptionally good to go straight from minor and make an impact at senior intercounty. Truth is these lads need more time.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1632 - 15/05/2019 15:11:37    2184325

Link

Any news on how these lads are going?
They must be out soon?

HHH (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 22/05/2019 11:36:57    2186572

Link

Quarter finals of the Hogan Cup take place in Clara on Saturday at 1pm. Galway McDonagh vs Kilkenny Amber and Galway Maroon vs Wexford. Ourselves and Cork both look to have exceptional Minor squads this year so hopefully we might get a game against one of their teams before the championship. Galway McDonagh easily topped Group A with Galway maroon second (only game they lost was to the McDonagh team). Galway Tribesmen topped Group G and play laois at 11:30 in Clara on Saturday.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 14/06/2019 09:45:10    2194715

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Quarter finals of the Hogan Cup take place in Clara on Saturday at 1pm. Galway McDonagh vs Kilkenny Amber and Galway Maroon vs Wexford. Ourselves and Cork both look to have exceptional Minor squads this year so hopefully we might get a game against one of their teams before the championship. Galway McDonagh easily topped Group A with Galway maroon second (only game they lost was to the McDonagh team). Galway Tribesmen topped Group G and play laois at 11:30 in Clara on Saturday."
I am not sure Cork are as exceptional as people think, at this grade. They were if anything lucky to draw with what I feel is an average Limerick team. They defeated Tipp, but Tipp lost to Clare and only narrowly saw off Waterford. I feel Clare are a serious outfit at this level and they could take Cork on Sunday and if Limerick beat Tipp, Cork would be gone.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2211 - 14/06/2019 21:56:06    2195078

Link

Watched the Div 1 Celtic Challenge final on Saturday and we must be absolute shoe ins for the Minor All Ireland this year, some unreal talent coming through. Galway maroon team (probably not even a quarter of the minor panel this year) were four points down to North Cork at half time and won the second half by 22 points, playing some lovely hurling. Colum Molloy from Kilnadeema Leitrim a livewire at corner forward and Killeen from Loughrea at centre back were exceptional but David Slattery from Larkins was different class to everyone on the field at wing forward. Not the biggest but caught puckouts clean in the air and was so fast running with the ball. Got 2-6 from play I think. Our minor championship team will be made up of the best of these lads, also the McDonagh U17 team (who only lost by a couple of points to the maroon team in semi final) and anyone underage from last year's team, Sean McDonagh being the obvious one.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 01/07/2019 10:06:12    2203324

Link

They will walk it even more comprehensively than last year!
Hard to understand how far ahead they are of everyone else the last two years.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 641 - 01/07/2019 11:41:13    2203430

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "They will walk it even more comprehensively than last year!
Hard to understand how far ahead they are of everyone else the last two years."
Looking at provincial finals yesterday there doesnt seem to be any other standout teams. We should be winning this handy. Even more fun was all the talk in Tullamore on Saturday is that the 2020 team will be even better! The lads I mentioned in the last post are u16 this year so will be minor again next year.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 01/07/2019 12:09:11    2203460

Link

Replying To galway19:  "Watched the Div 1 Celtic Challenge final on Saturday and we must be absolute shoe ins for the Minor All Ireland this year, some unreal talent coming through. Galway maroon team (probably not even a quarter of the minor panel this year) were four points down to North Cork at half time and won the second half by 22 points, playing some lovely hurling. Colum Molloy from Kilnadeema Leitrim a livewire at corner forward and Killeen from Loughrea at centre back were exceptional but David Slattery from Larkins was different class to everyone on the field at wing forward. Not the biggest but caught puckouts clean in the air and was so fast running with the ball. Got 2-6 from play I think. Our minor championship team will be made up of the best of these lads, also the McDonagh U17 team (who only lost by a couple of points to the maroon team in semi final) and anyone underage from last year's team, Sean McDonagh being the obvious one."
Fair play to ya! That's given my morale a boost anyway!
Fair play to all involved as there's obviously great work being done with these young lads.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 01/07/2019 14:00:13    2203572

Link