Galway Forum

Galway minor hurlers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To galwayman2:  "That makes a mockery of the u17 competition. Both football and hurling.No respect at all for players good enough to play on both panels."
I have said it here before that Croke Park has no respect for Galway. Our county Board should have insisted that the U17 All Ireland hurling final could not be fixed for the same day that Galway Minors were playing. No brainer there. The Galway u17 management should have call on all the players eligible to play that grade Another no brainer. We should be striving to win every All Ireland we are competing in. Putting out our best teams .How do those lads who trained all year with the u17s feel today having been deprived of winning an All Ireland .The situation with the u17 footballers was equally as bad ..

gerryboy (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 31/07/2017 14:35:27    2026686

Link

Great win. Massive display, even if we had lost it Galway lads fought for everything and made us proud. Best of luck in the final, Gaillimh Abu

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1236 - 06/08/2017 15:40:04    2029768

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "Great win. Massive display, even if we had lost it Galway lads fought for everything and made us proud. Best of luck in the final, Gaillimh Abu"
Great win for the minors Maybe the managers decision to ban the players from having summer jobs and not alLowing the 4 lads to start the u17 Al lreland semi- Final worked

gerryboy (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 06/08/2017 18:36:00    2029846

Link

Cracking win! Great day for Galway hurling!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2712 - 06/08/2017 19:49:44    2029887

Link

Replying To gerryboy:  "Great win for the minors Maybe the managers decision to ban the players from having summer jobs and not alLowing the 4 lads to start the u17 Al lreland semi- Final worked"
Who are the 4 that are still U17?

galway05 (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 07/08/2017 10:30:42    2030115

Link

Replying To gerryboy:  "Great win for the minors Maybe the managers decision to ban the players from having summer jobs and not alLowing the 4 lads to start the u17 Al lreland semi- Final worked"
I m not sure where you get your information from but there is no ban on summer jobs for minors. I met one of them working in the races last week!!! Several of them have summer jobs as I understand it.
As for the u17 semi final there were 5 lads who started v Clare 4 days previously. 1 was the GK who started again. 1 got a bad cut during the Clare game( I might be wrong but he left the field as I recall for a blood sub) he required stitches after the game and so wasn't risked. 1 was out for 6 weeks prior to the Clare game, only returning training 2 weeks before the game so he wasn't risked. That left 2 others, both came on, one at ht and the other near the end.
Another came on as sub in the Clare game and played in 17 game.
Finally what about the 4 other lads that got to start in that game because of the above. Do you think they appreciated the chance? Maybe one of them will develop from the chance they got? In fact I think one of the lads that got a start that night in the backs got called up to the minor squad afterwards on the basis of his display!!!! He wouldn't have started apparently If the others were. There are two sides to everything

Viewpoint (Galway) - Posts: 10 - 08/08/2017 16:46:39    2031162

Link

Fair play to the minor hurlers for doing their part to make last Sunday a day to remember.
I have seen more skillful Galway minor teams but not many with as much grit and determination as this one.
Best of luck to them in the final.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 09/08/2017 13:19:40    2031552

Link

Replying To Viewpoint:  "I m not sure where you get your information from but there is no ban on summer jobs for minors. I met one of them working in the races last week!!! Several of them have summer jobs as I understand it.
As for the u17 semi final there were 5 lads who started v Clare 4 days previously. 1 was the GK who started again. 1 got a bad cut during the Clare game( I might be wrong but he left the field as I recall for a blood sub) he required stitches after the game and so wasn't risked. 1 was out for 6 weeks prior to the Clare game, only returning training 2 weeks before the game so he wasn't risked. That left 2 others, both came on, one at ht and the other near the end.
Another came on as sub in the Clare game and played in 17 game.
Finally what about the 4 other lads that got to start in that game because of the above. Do you think they appreciated the chance? Maybe one of them will develop from the chance they got? In fact I think one of the lads that got a start that night in the backs got called up to the minor squad afterwards on the basis of his display!!!! He wouldn't have started apparently If the others were. There are two sides to everything"
There is only one side to this story The u17 management were not allowed start the four minors .So you played an All Ireland Semi Final without four of your best players Image our Seniors playing Tipperary without Daithi, Gearroid, Padraig, and Joe. According to your thinking it would be great for the four boys that replaced them but what would be the outcry if that was done . It is an absolute fact that the minor panel have been told that they cannott have summer jobs

gerryboy (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 15/08/2017 09:28:10    2033507

Link

Replying To gerryboy:  "There is only one side to this story The u17 management were not allowed start the four minors .So you played an All Ireland Semi Final without four of your best players Image our Seniors playing Tipperary without Daithi, Gearroid, Padraig, and Joe. According to your thinking it would be great for the four boys that replaced them but what would be the outcry if that was done . It is an absolute fact that the minor panel have been told that they cannott have summer jobs"
Gerryboy is correct about the jobs point. A point which I think is not a good message to be sending these kids. Fair enough they are on the cusp of winning an All-Ireland, something I dont have but at the expense of learning (from a young age) how to earn a living and learn the lessons of the workplace. They are being deprived of serious serious life life lessons here which has huge potential to negatively harm them later in life. The management who requested them abort their summer jobs should really be questioned by Croke Park on this. You could argue at 18 the lads can make up there own mind but you cant blame them either as every lad that age would do anything to play for Galway and win an All-Ireland.

clare_sparrow (Galway) - Posts: 248 - 15/08/2017 12:39:09    2033581

Link

what were croke park at fixing u17 final for 12 o clock the day our minors playing all Ireland semi at 2 o clock same day u17 final fixed week before we played cork in semi final it shows me that croker didn't want us in final and I certainly not be happy to be part of u17 management when deprived of 4 eligible players due to minor semi final we shud win every cup we can when we in them but what the hell was our county board at to even allow fixture be made we still been walked on as a county by croke park it stinks from high heaven to me

clubtalk (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 15/08/2017 15:55:19    2033699

Link

Replying To clubtalk:  "what were croke park at fixing u17 final for 12 o clock the day our minors playing all Ireland semi at 2 o clock same day u17 final fixed week before we played cork in semi final it shows me that croker didn't want us in final and I certainly not be happy to be part of u17 management when deprived of 4 eligible players due to minor semi final we shud win every cup we can when we in them but what the hell was our county board at to even allow fixture be made we still been walked on as a county by croke park it stinks from high heaven to me"
Don't know if there was a ban on Minors having summer jobs, do know that one of the stars of the win over KK was working in the week leading up to the game, didn't do him any harm.!! As regards not preparing them for the future, I think that's a bit over the top, a few weeks summer work will hardly define what they will be doing when they are 30.! A bit of work never killed anyone.!!!!!

dontknow (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 15/08/2017 16:15:45    2033710

Link

Replying To clubtalk:  "what were croke park at fixing u17 final for 12 o clock the day our minors playing all Ireland semi at 2 o clock same day u17 final fixed week before we played cork in semi final it shows me that croker didn't want us in final and I certainly not be happy to be part of u17 management when deprived of 4 eligible players due to minor semi final we shud win every cup we can when we in them but what the hell was our county board at to even allow fixture be made we still been walked on as a county by croke park it stinks from high heaven to me"
Clubtalk You are spot on with everything you said Remember Oranmore Maree put a motion through that was 100 per cent supported by the delegates re Minor and u21 participation in Leinster . Our delegates to Congress did no t allow the motion to be discussed or voted on The came up with the lame excuse that it would be defeated So what if was beater At least we would know how the rest of Ireland feels about us in G.A.A terms Our u17s were deprived the opportunity of winning an All Ireland Tell me any other County Board that would have allowed that to happen .

gerryboy (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 16/08/2017 13:41:31    2034201

Link

Replying To dontknow:  "Don't know if there was a ban on Minors having summer jobs, do know that one of the stars of the win over KK was working in the week leading up to the game, didn't do him any harm.!! As regards not preparing them for the future, I think that's a bit over the top, a few weeks summer work will hardly define what they will be doing when they are 30.! A bit of work never killed anyone.!!!!!"
It is an absolute fact that they were told they could not have summer jobs Fair play to any player that defied those orders The power that managers have over young players is wrong and unhealthy The parents are afraid to speak out as they feel that their sons career with Galway hurling will be jeopordised I am dissapointed but not surprised with our local media that they are not highlightling this . We are lucky to have this forum to bring it to the attention oF the Galway G.A.A public So many wrongs were swept under the carpet in the past and we are continueing to do it.

gerryboy (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 17/08/2017 10:24:18    2034590

Link

I ve been asking around and at least half the minor panel have summer jobs. Several work in supervalues across the county and a couple work in the plaza as well as other bits and pieces. Not to mention a whole heap of them were involved in cul camps. Why do you insist on peddling a story that is plainly untrue?
There is obviously no bother with lads having summer jobs as its certainly not effecting their hurling!!!
Also you question what if the seniors were missing four players? Well , you are clearly missing the point. Senior is the finished article. Minor and U17 in particular are for Development of players and the hope that one day they will get to be seniors. A stop on the journey of you will. The more that take that journey then surely the more that will reach the destination!!!

Viewpoint (Galway) - Posts: 10 - 17/08/2017 17:45:14    2034825

Link

reply to viewpoint cork weren't too worried bout development they played their minor lads to win u17 outright its an all Ireland that we didn't treat serious we don't get there too often so win it when you in it my motto who are we to turn our noses up at it if we don't go on and win minor out now it be a barren year and an all Ireland left behind us cork celebrated winning it and it keep youngsters interested for future

clubtalk (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 17/08/2017 19:02:52    2034853

Link

Replying To clubtalk:  "reply to viewpoint cork weren't too worried bout development they played their minor lads to win u17 outright its an all Ireland that we didn't treat serious we don't get there too often so win it when you in it my motto who are we to turn our noses up at it if we don't go on and win minor out now it be a barren year and an all Ireland left behind us cork celebrated winning it and it keep youngsters interested for future"
The minor championship is more important and I really don't care all that much about this year's under 17 competition. As for Galway not getting to finals all that often, which grade are you referring to exactly? This is the first ever year for the under 17 grade so no county has reached the final more than once. On the other hand, Galway have the best record at minor level over the last 25 years, regularly reaching the final and winning it on 9 occasions.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 783 - 17/08/2017 20:01:22    2034872

Link

Replying To Gaillimh_Abu:  "The minor championship is more important and I really don't care all that much about this year's under 17 competition. As for Galway not getting to finals all that often, which grade are you referring to exactly? This is the first ever year for the under 17 grade so no county has reached the final more than once. On the other hand, Galway have the best record at minor level over the last 25 years, regularly reaching the final and winning it on 9 occasions."
Cork took both of them serious they haven't won a minor in years but they didn't put all their eggs in minor basket they went out to win both

clubtalk (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 17/08/2017 21:03:18    2034896

Link

Replying To clubtalk:  "Cork took both of them serious they haven't won a minor in years but they didn't put all their eggs in minor basket they went out to win both"
Is 2001 the last minor title for Cork.The weekend before the 9/11 attacks in America.Think Galway were going for 3 minor in a row.John Gardiner and one of the O'Halpains on the Cork team I think but I may be wrong.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1085 - 17/08/2017 22:16:19    2034928

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Is 2001 the last minor title for Cork.The weekend before the 9/11 attacks in America.Think Galway were going for 3 minor in a row.John Gardiner and one of the O'Halpains on the Cork team I think but I may be wrong."
Tink ur rite Tomas o Leary rugby international was wing forward for cork same day

clubtalk (Galway) - Posts: 51 - 17/08/2017 22:46:34    2034944

Link

Replying To clubtalk:  "Cork took both of them serious they haven't won a minor in years but they didn't put all their eggs in minor basket they went out to win both"
Fair play Michael Donoghue for allowing Conor Whelan to play yesterday Our minor manager could learn a few lessons here

gerryboy (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 20/08/2017 12:36:57    2035502

Link