Galway Forum

Anger sourcing match tickets

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To yew_tree:  "Galway has a population of 258,552 the fifth biggest in the country. Mayo are back on 130,638 and falling. But you have to take into consideration that Galway is a dual county and the city would have a percentage with no GAA interest.

There are however more football clubs in Galway than Mayo so I assume Galway has a bigger playing and therefore football pick than Mayo which may surprise some people."
On your last point there about Galway having more football clubs than Mayo. I don't have the figures on this so statistically you may be correct I'm not sure but you can be sure in real terms this is not the case.
I say that because the figure for the number of football clubs would include every club that affiliates a team of any sort at some level.
There would be several predominantly hurling clubs who would enter a token team in junior C football championship each year and others who would enter some underage competitions but not field at adult level & these clubs would be included in the figures which would swell the number of clubs and give a false picture.
Now they may or may not even field a team in these adult junior C competitions. In many cases they don't fulfill the fixtures.
Some cobble together a team for c'ship whilst not entering the league or conceding all their league fixtures.
So you would have clubs like Portumna, Loughrea, Meelick Eyrecourt, Sarsfields etc. in this boat.
In general, you ain't going to get county footballers out of those areas.
You have guys like Gary O Donnell (Gort) & Cillian McDaid (Craughwell) who are rare exceptions but must move to other football clubs to play club football at any serious level. There are no longer football team sin Gort or Craughwell.

We have 20 senior clubs and 16 intermediate and about another 3 or 4 true football clubs in junior and that's it.
Probably around the same as in Mayo.
Many of the above clubs would be dual clubs where both football and hurling are of a similar level (Monivea/Abbey, Moycullen, Ballygar, Spiddal).

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 641 - 07/06/2017 10:23:03    1996253

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "What we need to do in get behind the IRFU 2023 bid to get rugby world cup as if this happens pearse stadium will become all seater"
under no circumstances should we get behind the rugby bid....are you mad? filling young peoples heads that rugby is actually worth pursuing in place of gaelic games....already losing too many to connacht rugby. in any case the only time we need pearse all seater is for galway vs mayo or maybe connacht final vs ros....thats it! the problemn with pearse isnt lack of seats its a lack of road network....but lets not get that started again!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 530 - 07/06/2017 10:40:53    1996271

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Galway has a population of 258,552 the fifth biggest in the country. Mayo are back on 130,638 and falling. But you have to take into consideration that Galway is a dual county and the city would have a percentage with no GAA interest.

There are however more football clubs in Galway than Mayo so I assume Galway has a bigger playing and therefore football pick than Mayo which may surprise some people."
I love the exact numbers of your response Yew - but my point wasn't the population difference between Galway and Mexico, it was between Galway and Dublin.

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 601 - 07/06/2017 10:47:07    1996280

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "On your response to point 1 - I completely agree, great strides being made in Mayo hurling over the past few years, however its no where near a comparison to Galway which would rival the footballers for support and season ticket sales. Then take the hurling clubs who don't do football out of Galway and you are reducing the amount of lads playing football by a considerable amount the likes of heartlands such as Gort, Port, Castledaly, Adrahan, Bullan, Mullagh, Clarinbridge ah I could go on - even if they were to produce one footballer of intercounty standard every 10 years hat would add to a stronger Galway.

With regard to your latter response in terms of rival sports, I'm not sure a comparison to Dublin can be rolled out here at Galway all in all has a population of around 160k people. And all of the sports you mention we also have including losing the odd lad to Rugby etc. but I'm saying that we have two of the biggest clubs in the country (by membership numbers) in Galway City Harrier's (athletics) and Galway Tri Club - that's a massive % in comparison to other counties."
Yeah, I have a feeling we could go round and round on this one DOC, given the various socio-economic factors at play. Your point regarding hurling clubs in Galway is a fair one, though I note a few players on the Galway football panel from places like Athenry and Claregalway from last year.

My main point is that people from outside seem to believe that Mayo people are exclusively interested in gaelic football, which doesn't really hold, especially in the bigger towns. Similarly, Mayo is one of only two counties in Ireland where the population is actually falling, which is not a problem that Galway city has at any rate (if anything, the opposite is true there).

In any case, even allowing for the factors you mention, Galway still has a far bigger population than its provincial competitors, and if gaelic football isn't winning hearts and minds there, then it's hardly anyone else's fault: it's up to the county board to do something about it.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1676 - 07/06/2017 11:09:15    1996298

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "I love the exact numbers of your response Yew - but my point wasn't the population difference between Galway and Mexico, it was between Galway and Dublin."
I done my research ;) - Census figures and all that.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9856 - 07/06/2017 11:40:48    1996339

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "under no circumstances should we get behind the rugby bid....are you mad? filling young peoples heads that rugby is actually worth pursuing in place of gaelic games....already losing too many to connacht rugby. in any case the only time we need pearse all seater is for galway vs mayo or maybe connacht final vs ros....thats it! the problemn with pearse isnt lack of seats its a lack of road network....but lets not get that started again!"
I agree however part of world cup bid has pearse stadium down as one of the stadiums. Plenty of government funding if bid successful then for the big games where sports ground college Rd not big enough game will be switched to pearse stadium. Fact fact wait till you see

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 07/06/2017 13:36:34    1996435

Link

The last Connacht Council stats had Mayo on more football clubs than Galway but I have not checked them in a while. Maybe some clubs in Mayo have folded/amalgamated since i last sought the sats. Galway obviously has more clubs overall but 45% of those have hurling as the clear priority. Claregalway is actually a football club although the parish takes in Carnmore which is the hurling side of the parish. Galway city has 3 senior club teams hardly a football heartland. Bottom line is Galway have more competing priorties notwithstanding that maybe it is more about strutures than numbers playing.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1636 - 08/06/2017 21:25:26    1997106

Link

Went to portlaoise. Just over 6000 in attendance if Galway are lucky enough to make all Ireland final most in attendance today will struggle to get a ticket and that's what makes my blood boil . I was sad last week by not going across the road to see us beat Mayo and my anger was compounded by seeing so many stand seats vacant .

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 18/06/2017 23:49:58    2001511

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Went to portlaoise. Just over 6000 in attendance if Galway are lucky enough to make all Ireland final most in attendance today will struggle to get a ticket and that's what makes my blood boil . I was sad last week by not going across the road to see us beat Mayo and my anger was compounded by seeing so many stand seats vacant ."
Well you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.... I didn't mind really yesterday as I had a nice seat with space beside me and plenty of elbow room! I expected a larger crowd esp. as it wasn't televised. But it was a null game as we expected GAL to win it.
You won't have much issue getting a stand ticket for the LF and if [when] we beat Wexford and you should be fine for the Semi aswell but the all ireland..... you may watch it in Quinns or Croke Park Hotel!! I have my Premium ticket ordered from my source for the LF .....

TribalCharlie (Galway) - Posts: 149 - 19/06/2017 09:16:44    2001593

Link

The reality is that if you really want to go to the final you will get a ticket.

There are always tickets available on the Friday/Saturday and even the day of the game itself if need be.

Unless you are playing Dublin in a football final I suppose. But that isn't the issue being discussed here.

Stool Pigeon (Galway) - Posts: 434 - 19/06/2017 13:34:26    2001817

Link

Replying To Stool Pigeon:  "The reality is that if you really want to go to the final you will get a ticket.

There are always tickets available on the Friday/Saturday and even the day of the game itself if need be.

Unless you are playing Dublin in a football final I suppose. But that isn't the issue being discussed here."
Your right on the day before all Ireland ticket can surface. Last time against KK I got mine on Saturday but it was a terrible week trying to source it and the following week was a worse week after we lost.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 19/06/2017 14:51:52    2001884

Link

If you went to the match yesterday you deserve a ticket and you'd get one if they got as far as an AI final. Keep your stubs/buy from your local club/ or try to make contacts.

Was about what I expected in terms of attendance yesterday considering the club football was on too. I assume a few of them would have tickets and the rest would be well connected enough come September to have no issue getting tickets.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 167 - 19/06/2017 15:32:50    2001916

Link

Replying To Diabhal:  "If you went to the match yesterday you deserve a ticket and you'd get one if they got as far as an AI final. Keep your stubs/buy from your local club/ or try to make contacts.

Was about what I expected in terms of attendance yesterday considering the club football was on too. I assume a few of them would have tickets and the rest would be well connected enough come September to have no issue getting tickets."
Lads; for gods sake will ye stop talking about All Ireland tickets. We have Wexford and the Rossies to negotiate in provincial finals first.

tribescity (Galway) - Posts: 248 - 19/06/2017 23:20:46    2002240

Link

The double is on, odds shortening with all the money that's going on.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 809 - 20/06/2017 00:50:31    2002267

Link

Oh I am so angry again, the GAA are taking us for gobsh*ts. Can't wait for galway v wexford with 3 friends all heading up we decided to try and purchase tickets early. So onto GAA website and the b********* are trying to sell all the bad seats first. I know to be patient and keep checking and eventually the good seats will come up. But it should be on a first come first served basis with the good seats first.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 21/06/2017 16:56:18    2003150

Link

Patients has paid off. Phone calls to GAA head office fell on def ears. The more I checked the website the nearer to the corner flag i was going. Then this morning I got my 3 tickets for upper cus just of the half way line. Can't wait so excited it's going to be a battle but pound for pound galway better so if the right galway turn up we will win by more then 5 points

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 24/06/2017 11:48:28    2004260

Link

Ah the joys of the season ticket, will right in the middle of the cusack just need to print my ticket on Monday when it's allocated.
Having said that the bring a friend option gave a poor seating choice right near the corner.

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 251 - 24/06/2017 15:49:39    2004321

Link

Found this thread and struck a cord with me, after many years of not attending Wexford games I'm back on the bandwagon, old enough to have experienced the good days but also went through the numerous drubbings to kk/cork in Crocker. Ultimately dissolutioned nd couldn't justify the cost of it all. Great to see Wexford going well again it really lifts the county, but got to say the ticketing arrangements are a farce. Kk game in wex park farce for tickets and Sunday coming isn't much better. I'm seated in the corner of hogan and I got tickets early. Evidently best tickets are being held back nd corner sections sold first . This is what it looks like at least but if someone wants to set me right there please do. Also not having the cheaper option of hill 16 is plainly not fair to Galway or Wexford supporters. No matter what attendance is expected or concert organised . It's an expensive day out treat ALL supporters fairly and not like mug punters on the big days. I

Saywhat (Wexford) - Posts: 1 - 25/06/2017 23:50:11    2005257

Link

Dead centre lower cusacks for season tickets. Not bad.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 167 - 26/06/2017 13:06:04    2005669

Link

Replying To Diabhal:  "Dead centre lower cusacks for season tickets. Not bad."
Nice 1 enjoy

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 26/06/2017 19:04:08    2005957

Link