Galway Forum

Anger sourcing match tickets

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Galway Mayo tickets out today but you can't get a stand tickets unless you a season ticket holder or here it is you in the Know with the nod nod wink wink gang. This makes me so angry and shows up the GAA as unfair. For me I can't go to the terrace . I also am not able to afford the season ticket but I follow galway GAA as much as I can.

Yesterday I made the journey to Tullamore probably about 10000 in attendance were from Galway most of these will struggle to get an
All Ireland ticket if Galway make it to the final

Why oh why can't the real fans get match tickets.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 29/05/2017 19:35:53    1991931

Link

Mayo have thousands of season ticket holders and I think there's a reasonable amount of Galway football supporters with season tickets too. They should get priority seating over more casual fans. The stand in Tullamore was season ticket only for the most-part.

A season ticket is actually reasonably priced too at least than a hundred for 6 free games minimum. That's the best way to show you're a real fan and you can't really moan about Galway not looking after their own anymore.

My issue is that there's no combination ticket for hurling and football. I'd happily pay 150 for a dual season ticket. 200 is asking a bit much especially to make the 60% minimum attendance for both codes when Galway games clash on the same day. Dublin have the Parnell Pass for that reason. Hopefully if success comes to our seniors they'll have to step-up.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 167 - 29/05/2017 21:16:09    1991964

Link

Replying To Diabhal:  "Mayo have thousands of season ticket holders and I think there's a reasonable amount of Galway football supporters with season tickets too. They should get priority seating over more casual fans. The stand in Tullamore was season ticket only for the most-part.

A season ticket is actually reasonably priced too at least than a hundred for 6 free games minimum. That's the best way to show you're a real fan and you can't really moan about Galway not looking after their own anymore.

My issue is that there's no combination ticket for hurling and football. I'd happily pay 150 for a dual season ticket. 200 is asking a bit much especially to make the 60% minimum attendance for both codes when Galway games clash on the same day. Dublin have the Parnell Pass for that reason. Hopefully if success comes to our seniors they'll have to step-up."
I think Mayo have about 3500 season ticket holders where as galway football has under 500 season ticket holders. I am open to correction but if I am right then Galway GAA full of nod and wink .

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 29/05/2017 22:17:48    1991985

Link

should be tickets available...are they still being sold in the centra/suprvalu shops? mayo will bring numbers and we must match them

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 527 - 29/05/2017 22:30:29    1991986

Link

Ticketing for this fixture would be run by Connacht Coucil, not Galway GAA.

In addition to the Season Tickets as mentioned, there would be tickets allocated to players and management of each County (plus those involved in the minor match I assume will be on beforehand), as well as sponsors, dignitaries etc. I'm sure some will be allocated also to County Board officials from each county, and Connacht Council members themselves.

There probably should be some stand tickets available after all those are taken into account, but it will lie with Connacht Council how these are allocated.

game.on.now.ger (Galway) - Posts: 423 - 30/05/2017 10:08:53    1992058

Link

Tickets now on sale, usual county boards, selected super valus.

25 for stand (buy quickly)

20 for terrace.

cornetto (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 30/05/2017 10:49:48    1992076

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Galway Mayo tickets out today but you can't get a stand tickets unless you a season ticket holder or here it is you in the Know with the nod nod wink wink gang. This makes me so angry and shows up the GAA as unfair. For me I can't go to the terrace . I also am not able to afford the season ticket but I follow galway GAA as much as I can.

Yesterday I made the journey to Tullamore probably about 10000 in attendance were from Galway most of these will struggle to get an

Why oh why can't the real fans get match tickets."
Most people if they really want will get AI final tkts. They were tight enough back in the 80s when the capacity of Croker was much reduced from today, but I doubt any real, serious fan would be left outside should Galway (hopefully) get to a final again this year. Football finals are different because you'd have more neutral supporters going from counties with no great hurling tradition.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 30/05/2017 11:54:18    1992111

Link

I went to my local centre last night where I always get my ticket and they only had tickets for the terrace for sale hence my anger

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 30/05/2017 12:50:05    1992152

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "I went to my local centre last night where I always get my ticket and they only had tickets for the terrace for sale hence my anger"
are you a member of a club? you should be able to get stand tickets in a club.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 850 - 30/05/2017 13:32:35    1992176

Link

there you go, an idea for some bright spark out there, develop an App that rewards supporters with an opportunity to buy a ticket based on certain criteria a) club membership b) attendance at matches throughout the year including both club and county, football and hurling c) driven off GPS giving priority based on spend, distance travelled, etc

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 30/05/2017 15:22:02    1992249

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "there you go, an idea for some bright spark out there, develop an App that rewards supporters with an opportunity to buy a ticket based on certain criteria a) club membership b) attendance at matches throughout the year including both club and county, football and hurling c) driven off GPS giving priority based on spend, distance travelled, etc"
Touchof class you make a good point. Reward the fan who turns up at matches.

Re another post about being a club member and you can get a ticket well for galway v

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 30/05/2017 18:59:33    1992346

Link

Replying To TouchOfClass:  "there you go, an idea for some bright spark out there, develop an App that rewards supporters with an opportunity to buy a ticket based on certain criteria a) club membership b) attendance at matches throughout the year including both club and county, football and hurling c) driven off GPS giving priority based on spend, distance travelled, etc"
Touchof class you make a good point. Reward the fan who turns up at matches.

Re another post about being a club member and you can get a ticket well for galway v mayo I am pretty sure clubs only allocated all Ireland tickets and there is normally a draw on the night where you have to be there if your name called and there is usually about 10 tickets for 100 members etc. Then there is the local business and plenty of them offering All Ireland tickets for some draw or other promo if there county in final . How do these businesses get tickets sure it's a nod and a wink and the real fans can't get a decent ticket.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 30/05/2017 19:10:18    1992351

Link

The fan going to matches buys the season ticket though

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 167 - 30/05/2017 22:07:19    1992424

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Galway Mayo tickets out today but you can't get a stand tickets unless you a season ticket holder or here it is you in the Know with the nod nod wink wink gang. This makes me so angry and shows up the GAA as unfair. For me I can't go to the terrace . I also am not able to afford the season ticket but I follow galway GAA as much as I can.

Why oh why can't the real fans get match tickets."
If you followed thru thick and thin you would understand the situation regarding tickets. If you work for or even support your local club you will be fully advised with the availibility of tickets. This can hardly be your first Connacht semi.

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 477 - 30/05/2017 22:08:43    1992426

Link

Replying To ponga:  "If you followed thru thick and thin you would understand the situation regarding tickets. If you work for or even support your local club you will be fully advised with the availibility of tickets. This can hardly be your first Connacht semi."
I understand fully the benefits and friendship of my local club. My original post was regarding stand tickets for Galway v Mayo they are not to be got believe me I tried club supervalul and even pearse stadium.
OK get a county membership cost close to 200 euro a year good value if ya can afford it. My point is the fan who may have to budget in order to raise his family is been penalised. We see it out side the GAA with pay extra and skip the cue this should not be the way of the GAA it's our association we are the ones committed to our local club . Ps it is not my first connaught SF in fact I had the pleasure of seeing Galway lifting Sam.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 31/05/2017 13:04:25    1992601

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "I understand fully the benefits and friendship of my local club. My original post was regarding stand tickets for Galway v Mayo they are not to be got believe me I tried club supervalul and even pearse stadium.
OK get a county membership cost close to 200 euro a year good value if ya can afford it. My point is the fan who may have to budget in order to raise his family is been penalised. We see it out side the GAA with pay extra and skip the cue this should not be the way of the GAA it's our association we are the ones committed to our local club . Ps it is not my first connaught SF in fact I had the pleasure of seeing Galway lifting Sam."
Problem here is that season ticket holders are guaranteed stand seats as part of the perks, and Mayo have one of, if not THE, largest amount of subscribers to these. They have to be accommodated preferentially.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 31/05/2017 14:22:57    1992645

Link

Replying To ponga:  "If you followed thru thick and thin you would understand the situation regarding tickets. If you work for or even support your local club you will be fully advised with the availibility of tickets. This can hardly be your first Connacht semi."
Ponga we in Galway have a lot more travelling to do to supoport our teams, last weekend in Tullamore, next In Pearse, Weekend after Leinster semi and hopefully a Leinster final.. Bringing children to all the above or as many as possible means a season ticket would be costly to cover everyone..
On another note i see the Mayo fans are bringing a 60foot x 30foot flag to Pearse on Sunday week to have over the fans on the Rockbarton rd side. They do know that this is not soccer with segregation for supporters. Imagine the Galway fans having paid good money and this thing is been passed over your heads.. May cause some problems!!

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 31/05/2017 14:26:29    1992648

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "Ponga we in Galway have a lot more travelling to do to supoport our teams, last weekend in Tullamore, next In Pearse, Weekend after Leinster semi and hopefully a Leinster final.. Bringing children to all the above or as many as possible means a season ticket would be costly to cover everyone..
On another note i see the Mayo fans are bringing a 60foot x 30foot flag to Pearse on Sunday week to have over the fans on the Rockbarton rd side. They do know that this is not soccer with segregation for supporters. Imagine the Galway fans having paid good money and this thing is been passed over your heads.. May cause some problems!!"
Didn't you read the memo ;) ? The flag will be swung out during the parade of the teams only. Nobody will have issues seeing the game.

I believe Mayo have between 4-4,500 season ticket holders. What can the stand in Pearce hold? Reading news that the the game is heading for a sell out. Galway v Mayo is the biggest game this side of the Shannon and it is great to see the increase in interest from both sides and outside Connacht this year.

Some games that really stand out for me were:

1997 - Mayo beating Galway in Tuam
1998 - Galway beating us in Castlebar in a thundering atmosphere of a game. We all know what happened in September.
1999 - Mayo dethroned the Champions on a wet day in Tuam (How many were packed in that day)?
2004 - Mayo go 1-3 to 0-0 down after a few minutes only to rally back inspired by Ciaran McDonald.
2006 - Conor Mortimer slots home a difficult free kick (soft free I will admit) at the bacon factory end to win the Connacht Championship.

Can't wait for Sunday week to roll around.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9853 - 31/05/2017 16:09:12    1992708

Link

Its a bit early in the season for the "oh i've every programme from every match since 1756..and i can't a ticket" brigade to come out..and all these dubious sob stories about how my poor father/neighbours uncle in law is about to die and this all ireland will surely be his last ever..blah blah....honestly the garbage that some people go on with.
quit the whinging..you'll get a ticket if you're that dedicated..and if you can't get one then tough..your own fault if you can't make enough connections with the right people who might help you get one
FFS go to the game and enjoy it.

thebossofallmen (Galway) - Posts: 43 - 31/05/2017 17:02:47    1992739

Link

Replying To thebossofallmen:  "Its a bit early in the season for the "oh i've every programme from every match since 1756..and i can't a ticket" brigade to come out..and all these dubious sob stories about how my poor father/neighbours uncle in law is about to die and this all ireland will surely be his last ever..blah blah....honestly the garbage that some people go on with.
quit the whinging..you'll get a ticket if you're that dedicated..and if you can't get one then tough..your own fault if you can't make enough connections with the right people who might help you get one
FFS go to the game and enjoy it."
Well thebossofallmen your post makes my point perfect. Get in the Know with the nod and wink gang and you ge a ticket.

I can get a Terence ticket no problem so my post was not to get someone to feel sorry for me and give me a ticket. I was just pointing out how unfair the GAA is to genuine people who don't subscribe to a nod and wink society. Roll on Sunday week gailimh abu my seat is now booked in front of TV

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 281 - 31/05/2017 23:12:41    1992867

Link