Dublin Forum

Dublin V Kerry

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To theduke66:  "I think the media and probably a lot of supporters want Dublin v Kerry to be a big rivalry. It's the classic Culchies v jackeens. In reality after the late 70s it wasn't really a rivalry until Kerry left the gate open in 2011 and the dubs came storming through. Dublin have pushed on since with Kerry giving them some good games but no more than that.
Dublin football is in rude health and they will be competitive for decades no doubt about it. Any chance they could over take Kerrys role of honour over the next few decades?"
yes its very possible

KerryKillers (Dublin) - Posts: 711 - 20/03/2017 15:50:41    1969153

Link

Newstalk two weeks ago and Tony Hanahoe and Bomber Liston had an interesting take on the 70s rivalry (suggest you podcast) it was that while there were some cracking games no doubt , it wasn't like for like , a mature team meeting a very young team , followed by a slightly over the hill team meeting a team coming into greatness , the question put who would have won when both teams at height of their powers , seemed to be agreed by both parties that that particular match actually never happened

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 20/03/2017 16:10:12    1969163

Link

Replying To KerryKillers:  "yes its very possible"
Not sure

115 years of playing in a small hurling province gave them a golden ticket to a semi-final

All that winning breeds winning, and so they produced many fine footballing families and took coaching very seriously way before most counties.

Remember the talk of the "great coaching going on in Kerry" as a major component to their excellence

And no doubting, they have produced excellence, and then had the advantage of playing almost no one in Munster to get to a semi-final

Dublin are on the right path now, developing the game amongst women is huge, look at the huge number of women now attending and playing the game in Dublin now

Most of them if they so choose will become Dublin supporting mothers, and their children will be playing Sport, and more than likely GAA

The current level of winning will breed winning, and that's what we'll need to keep all of this going, the correct structures to maximise the potential of youngsters and then the families to back up and support those kids.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 20/03/2017 16:25:28    1969176

Link

If I've a chance of seeing Dublin overtake Kerry in my lifetime they'd probably need to keep the 4 to 1 ratio of All Irelands, wouldn't of dreamt that been possible even after 2011. Not so bad when you think of how many Mayo people wont have see them win September gold.

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 320 - 20/03/2017 20:42:21    1969292

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "McHugh finding his feet , been very patient over last few years , could have a big year in front of him , with the much anticipated Con coming into the reckoning, return of Dermo I think its going to be fascinating watching the forward staring line up unfold over the year literally 12 into 6 just doesn't go ."
Having watched the Dubs under 21s for the past 5 years it has come as no surprise to see the quality of Dubs Senior A+B teams.
Don't forget the Under 21s are playing the Leinster Semi Final in Mullingar on Wednesday 22nd at 19.30pm and if successful the following Wednesday in Portlaoise.
See you all there hopefully.

CrubeenBlue (Dublin) - Posts: 28 - 21/03/2017 16:05:38    1969566

Link

Replying To CrubeenBlue:  "Having watched the Dubs under 21s for the past 5 years it has come as no surprise to see the quality of Dubs Senior A+B teams.
Don't forget the Under 21s are playing the Leinster Semi Final in Mullingar on Wednesday 22nd at 19.30pm and if successful the following Wednesday in Portlaoise.
See you all there hopefully."
Under 17 hurlers playing in Bray v Wexford on Wednesday , will have one eye on Hoganstand for updates lads

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 21/03/2017 17:53:33    1969615

Link

I see Paul Curran coming out and saying exactly what I posted on HS.

Plenty of truth in it, whether our friends down in Munster accept it or not.

Many believe it but very very few coming out and admitting it.

Let them stay in denial. ;o)

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 01/04/2017 12:44:48    1973806

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "I see Paul Curran coming out and saying exactly what I posted on HS.

Plenty of truth in it, whether our friends down in Munster accept it or not.

Many believe it but very very few coming out and admitting it.

Let them stay in denial. ;o)"
Its not a case of accepting it or not. It seems that it is the only way of stopping or trying to stop the Dubs at the moment. Teams have tried to play them man for man but that is next to impossible.

aidan64 (Kerry) - Posts: 560 - 03/04/2017 09:37:21    1974601

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Newstalk two weeks ago and Tony Hanahoe and Bomber Liston had an interesting take on the 70s rivalry (suggest you podcast) it was that while there were some cracking games no doubt , it wasn't like for like , a mature team meeting a very young team , followed by a slightly over the hill team meeting a team coming into greatness , the question put who would have won when both teams at height of their powers , seemed to be agreed by both parties that that particular match actually never happened"
Yeah i was thinking that will the youg fellas Dubin have coming through, the standard of the Kerry and Dublin teams miight level out in 3/4 years.

Hopefully the same thing won't happen as in the 70s and there will be two evenly matched teams.

It would be great to see.
It is kind of sad though that it will be Dublin's last decent game until August and you could say the same about Kerry.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 03/04/2017 10:35:15    1974644

Link

I have a sneaky feeling that Kerry may surprise us on Sunday with how they play. Don't think it will be Tralee revisited at all but Kerry will be running straight at us with speed and runners off the shoulder in support. The 2 Geaney's will need some watching and I think young Byrne may not start.

We need to be in our toes for this one and a huge improvement required from yesterday's performance.

Fenton needs assistance in the middle and a strong starting 15 is the order of the day. We cannot afford to keep coming from behind in games so we need to revert to what we do best.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 03/04/2017 11:04:22    1974676

Link

The more I look into the well the LESS evidence of H20 I see ,
I'm not being critical as I completely back Jims squad rotation , it has a long term aim , players benefit from rest and shouldn't get to used to the jersey.
The question does have to be asked when will we go to the well once too often and come unstuck , my heart for a start cant take much more although secretly I love it., probably a better question is WHY have we had to go to the well ? Have teams gotten closer to us ? is our squad still reliant on household names ? When we play out of HQ does that narrow a gap? As the record has been achieved do we have an arrow on our back , we now are THE scalp teams want , all that said Ive enjoyed this campaign as much if not more than many of the others due to the close nature of games, long may it continue.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 03/04/2017 12:53:22    1974758

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "I have a sneaky feeling that Kerry may surprise us on Sunday with how they play. Don't think it will be Tralee revisited at all but Kerry will be running straight at us with speed and runners off the shoulder in support. The 2 Geaney's will need some watching and I think young Byrne may not start.

We need to be in our toes for this one and a huge improvement required from yesterday's performance.

Fenton needs assistance in the middle and a strong starting 15 is the order of the day. We cannot afford to keep coming from behind in games so we need to revert to what we do best."
I like your thoughts on Dubs v Kerry .. is it just me or do you think our attacking half backs are leaving too much space behind them? , Monaghan
were breaking at us very fast with our backs caught too far up the pitch ... the kerry lads will be using lots of chalk on the blackboard to highlight
possible scoring gaps around the 40.. they say ever good team starts at the back ..what do you think? ... cheers ...

Heffo (Dublin) - Posts: 61 - 04/04/2017 15:10:57    1975473

Link

Playing blanket defenses in provincial grounds is always going to 'close the gap'. If a team is hosting the AI champions on their turf, they are going to go where the bodies probably wouldn't normally go. When teams step into Croke Park to play us, not only is the pitch bigger (than most) the whole stadium must look 10 times bigger than some grounds and it does give off that perception of massive spaces for which Dublin's athleticism can exploit you.
So this is already playing on your mind, looks can be deceiving and maybe teams are already a step behind us before the ball is thrown in. Dublin are a team built for Croker so the fact that they're able to dig out results from tight burrows is admirable in my opinion.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 05/04/2017 00:05:54    1975830

Link

Am I the only one that can't see us losing? I'd give them a chance If O Donoghue was playing but can't see them beating us with the players they have available right now.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 06/04/2017 10:14:51    1976370

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Am I the only one that can't see us losing? I'd give them a chance If O Donoghue was playing but can't see them beating us with the players they have available right now."
Any team that can go 6 points behind to Monaghan , draw with Donegal and Tyrone CAN lose to Kerry , as I said on another thread I don't know where our next defeat is coming from , I just know its inevitable , looking at both teams I predict a Dublin win , but logically I believe we are the best team in Ireland so when am I ever going to predict a defeat , doesn't make sense

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 06/04/2017 10:44:32    1976398

Link

anyone know why Jimbo, CD and myself had our posts removed from the Eamonn Fitz thread on the main page?????
What the feck is happening to this place!!

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 06/04/2017 12:28:02    1976453

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "anyone know why Jimbo, CD and myself had our posts removed from the Eamonn Fitz thread on the main page?????
What the feck is happening to this place!!"
Ye are not alone

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 07/04/2017 00:02:00    1976739

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Ye are not alone"
ill wait til the end of time...open your mind, surely its plain to see, you're not alone.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13519 - 07/04/2017 11:26:17    1976819

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Ye are not alone"
I am here with you, though were far apart, youre always in my heart.......

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13519 - 07/04/2017 11:33:55    1976822

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "anyone know why Jimbo, CD and myself had our posts removed from the Eamonn Fitz thread on the main page?????
What the feck is happening to this place!!"
Happened me as well.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 07/04/2017 14:57:52    1976913

Link