Dublin Forum

Dublin V Kerry

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "Yeah O'Gara was a bit of an eejit alright (not for the first time).
When the rest of the regular forwards come back he will struggle to get his place, unless he is thrown on at the end in desperation stakes and the high ball is used.

But I am delighted Dublin refused to be bullied.

If I am completely honest I am also pleased that Dublin seems to have decent rivalry set up for the next few years.

It is not as much fun running a race on your own!

Plus unlike the fabled Kerry v Dublin rivalry of the 70's/80's, where it was one-sided, this has got great potential."
Good post.

Yes he was very lucky and I wouldn't defend it at all. In fact I think he can't tackle properly at all...
I think his involvement in the Summer will be limited enough.

Also agree re the Dublin Kerry rivalry.
It is back and will take over from our temporary rivalry with Mayo.
Kerry will be a st

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 19/03/2017 12:16:31    1968445

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "Yeah O'Gara was a bit of an eejit alright (not for the first time).
When the rest of the regular forwards come back he will struggle to get his place, unless he is thrown on at the end in desperation stakes and the high ball is used.

If I am completely honest I am also pleased that Dublin seems to have decent rivalry set up for the next few years.

Plus unlike the fabled Kerry v Dublin rivalry of the 70's/80's, where it was one-sided, this has got great potential."
Good post.

Yes he was very lucky and I wouldn't defend it at all. In fact I think he can't tackle properly at all...

Kerry will be a strong force soon enough whereas our friends from the west may not be.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 19/03/2017 12:20:40    1968447

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "Good post.

Kerry will be a strong force soon enough whereas our friends from the west may not be."
Scored a great point last night

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 19/03/2017 12:50:07    1968457

Link

Dublin showed great character again.Fair play to them I think they have incredible fight and spirit.
Kerry not an easy place to come away from with a point and had to dig it out again.
Don't think I've ever seen a side with the resolve they possess.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 1176 - 19/03/2017 13:20:13    1968468

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Scored a great point last night"
He did Jimbo but not often enough.

He is on the panel quite a while now but I don't see any improvement.

Will only be used as a target man in the Summer but I am always nervous when he gets the ball and when he loses the ball also.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 19/03/2017 13:36:59    1968471

Link

In fairness the 70s rivalry with Kerry was far from fabled and was certainly not one sided. The recently rivalry is what you call one sided. Granted in the 80s they got us twice on the trot. It wasn't until the noughties that we started meeting again and Kerry had us for that decade.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 19/03/2017 14:02:44    1968481

Link

My man Mannion comes good again, Jesus doh would he ever sort out his bleeding studs he slips all the bleeding time. Great result and well done to management and players on getting us this great record to have absolutely delighted to get it. These are such special days following this great team will never get the credit we deserve but I don't care anymore

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 19/03/2017 17:34:46    1968596

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "My man Mannion comes good again, Jesus doh would he ever sort out his bleeding studs he slips all the bleeding time. Great result and well done to management and players on getting us this great record to have absolutely delighted to get it. These are such special days following this great team will never get the credit we deserve but I don't care anymore"
And Dublin's record is 100% provable

With no fecking walk overs added.. well apart from the 2016 NFL Div 1 final wha!!

;)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 19/03/2017 17:51:57    1968614

Link

Replying To realdub:  "In fairness the 70s rivalry with Kerry was far from fabled and was certainly not one sided. The recently rivalry is what you call one sided. Granted in the 80s they got us twice on the trot. It wasn't until the noughties that we started meeting again and Kerry had us for that decade."
Not too sure about that
AI Final 1975 -- Kerry 2-12 0-11 Dublin ~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 7 points
AI Final 1976 -- Dublin 3-8 0-10 Kerry ~~~~~~~~ Dublin winners by 7 points
AI S-Final 1977 -- Dublin 3-12 1-13 Kerry ~~~~~~~~ Dublin winners by 5 points (the best game of all time? as it is termed)

Then after this for me it was a rivalry only on paper Kerry were the better team and the Dublin team were over the hill.

AI Final 1978 -- Kerry 5-11 0-9 Dublin ~~~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 17 points!!!!!
AI Final 1979 -- Kerry 3-13 1-8 Dublin ~~~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 11 points!!!

New Era 80s?
Not really Dublin did not get any big victory in this time

AI Final 1984 -- Kerry 0-14 Dublin 1-6 ~~~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 5 points
AI Final 1985 -- Kerry 2-12 Dublin 2-8 ~~~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 4 points the closest of them all

Of those 7 games Kerry won 5 of them to Dublin's 2 and most of them were not close games.

I am not including league games because they were not taken seriously back then.

If it was a rivalry it was a bit of lop-sided one.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 19/03/2017 19:07:58    1968678

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "And Dublin's record is 100% provable

With no fecking walk overs added.. well apart from the 2016 NFL Div 1 final wha!!

;)"
Hahaha jimbo your gas every time I post about the record you come right behind me giving out about wether the Kerry record is valid or not haha you never give up pal I love it.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 19/03/2017 19:30:48    1968688

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "Not too sure about that
AI Final 1975 -- Kerry 2-12 0-11 Dublin ~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 7 points
AI Final 1976 -- Dublin 3-8 0-10 Kerry ~~~~~~~~ Dublin winners by 7 points
AI S-Final 1977 -- Dublin 3-12 1-13 Kerry ~~~~~~~~ Dublin winners by 5 points (the best game of all time? as it is termed)

Then after this for me it was a rivalry only on paper Kerry were the better team and the Dublin team were over the hill.

AI Final 1978 -- Kerry 5-11 0-9 Dublin ~~~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 17 points!!!!!
AI Final 1979 -- Kerry 3-13 1-8 Dublin ~~~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 11 points!!!

New Era 80s?
Not really Dublin did not get any big victory in this time

AI Final 1984 -- Kerry 0-14 Dublin 1-6 ~~~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 5 points
AI Final 1985 -- Kerry 2-12 Dublin 2-8 ~~~~~~~~~ Kerry winners by 4 points the closest of them all

Of those 7 games Kerry won 5 of them to Dublin's 2 and most of them were not close games.

I am not including league games because they were not taken seriously back then.

If it was a rivalry it was a bit of lop-sided one."
Yeh I know all the scores off the top of my head, but I said the rivalry was close in the 70s, as in how many AIs we won or contested. Not the scorelines of our specific meetings. We contested 6 finals in a row, Kerry contested 4. We both won 3, that's pretty tight if you ask me.
In '75, Dublin were stupidly complacent, a very young Kerry team came up and caught us by the short and curlies.
'76 was a good win for us in that we went out to put what happened the previous year right.
That '77 semi was point for point right up until the last couple of minutes, very like the '13 semi.
The '78 final was very strange, we played them off the park for the first 20 mins then the wheels came off after Cullen turned his back on Sheehy.
The '79 win for Kerry was straight forward and comprehensive and was the demise of that team who should have been beaten by a very good Offaly side in the Leinster final.

As for the 80's, I said we got beat twice by them and we did.

The 90's, Kerry went missing for the first half of that decade and us in the second half of it.

The 2000s, we were knocking on the door but managers like Lyons and Caffrey insured we would not win the big prize when it came down to the nitty gritty.

This decade? The rivalry is very one way indeed.

Ask a few of the oldies like myself about the 'friendly' games between the 70's sides, one in New York springs to mind, nasty stuff.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 19/03/2017 20:58:05    1968769

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Yeh I know all the scores off the top of my head, but I said the rivalry was close in the 70s, as in how many AIs we won or contested. Not the scorelines of our specific meetings. We contested 6 finals in a row, Kerry contested 4. We both won 3, that's pretty tight if you ask me.
In '75, Dublin were stupidly complacent, a very young Kerry team came up and caught us by the short and curlies.
'76 was a good win for us in that we went out to put what happened the previous year right.
That '77 semi was point for point right up until the last couple of minutes, very like the '13 semi.
The '78 final was very strange, we played them off the park for the first 20 mins then the wheels came off after Cullen turned his back on Sheehy.
The '79 win for Kerry was straight forward and comprehensive and was the demise of that team who should have been beaten by a very good Offaly side in the Leinster final.

The 90's, Kerry went missing for the first half of that decade and us in the second half of it.

The 2000s, we were knocking on the door but managers like Lyons and Caffrey insured we would not win the big prize when it came down to the nitty gritty.

Ask a few of the oldies like myself about the 'friendly' games between the 70's sides, one in New York springs to mind, nasty stuff."
Fair enough, most of those days were well before my time.
I always got the impression that Kerry were ahead and Dublin were just the supporting act, the way it is portrayed.
I suppose when your there at the time they had a different feel to it rather then just wins and losses, more then numbers on a page.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 19/03/2017 21:21:59    1968790

Link

Jeez some of those Kerry lads can't take an honest assessment without it being thought of as a wind up.
They won't admit to the obvious and still have their belief that they are above criticism...!

The amount of abuse we Dubs take and still have to listen to some of their posters condescending attitude.
Unbelievable.

One even resorting to abusive posts.

All the years they were beating us and gloating and now all we get is attitude...!
Lack of class completely, by some.

When Kerry were beating us and beating us well I didn't like it but at least I would admit they were a better team and played better football.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 19/03/2017 21:39:28    1968801

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "Jeez some of those Kerry lads can't take an honest assessment without it being thought of as a wind up.
They won't admit to the obvious and still have their belief that they are above criticism...!

The amount of abuse we Dubs take and still have to listen to some of their posters condescending attitude.
Unbelievable.

All the years they were beating us and gloating and now all we get is attitude...!

When Kerry were beating us and beating us well I didn't like it but at least I would admit they were a better team and played better football."
Fionn I honestly can't believe the crying Hermit is doing he's well able to give it but can't take it at all. He's on the wind up all the time on hs but doesn't seem to like it the other way round.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 19/03/2017 22:15:49    1968821

Link

Replying To Fionn:  "Jeez some of those Kerry lads can't take an honest assessment without it being thought of as a wind up.

Unbelievable.

When Kerry were beating us and beating us well I didn't like it but at least I would admit they were a better team and played better football."
It is funny that type of thing wouldn't bother me.
In fairness to Kerry people in general it seems very 'un-kerry like' it must me the new 'Kerry keyboard warrior' millennial generation?

What used to annoy me was when Kerry used to feel sorry for the Dubs and say that we had a chance and you never know etc.
Or that the Kerry team are not going that well, not as good as last years etc.

Any Kerry person giving abuse now means they are rattled, it would make me smile.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 19/03/2017 22:31:09    1968831

Link

Congrats on your record .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 19/03/2017 23:08:34    1968856

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "It is funny that type of thing wouldn't bother me.
In fairness to Kerry people in general it seems very 'un-kerry like' it must me the new 'Kerry keyboard warrior' millennial generation?

What used to annoy me was when Kerry used to feel sorry for the Dubs and say that we had a chance and you never know etc.
Or that the Kerry team are not going that well, not as good as last years etc.

Any Kerry person giving abuse now means they are rattled, it would make me smile."
Maybe so. Good point.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 2862 - 19/03/2017 23:09:24    1968858

Link

McHugh finding his feet , been very patient over last few years , could have a big year in front of him , with the much anticipated Con coming into the reckoning, return of Dermo I think its going to be fascinating watching the forward staring line up unfold over the year literally 12 into 6 just doesn't go .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 20/03/2017 11:00:57    1968986

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "McHugh finding his feet , been very patient over last few years , could have a big year in front of him , with the much anticipated Con coming into the reckoning, return of Dermo I think its going to be fascinating watching the forward staring line up unfold over the year literally 12 into 6 just doesn't go ."
11. Connolly
12.kilkenny
14.Rock

That's the 3 Garanteed starters And more than likely Flynn at 10 he was flying Saturday except for that kick at the end , I lost my mind when he kicked it there was no need to kick the ball at that stage, so the rest of the forwards are playing for 2 maybe 3 positions. Whoever shows best jim will go with.

Brogan
Andrews
Kev mac
Mannion
Mchugh
O Callaghan
Costello
Scully
Carthy
O Gara
Flynn

Take your pick

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 20/03/2017 11:53:04    1969017

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Yeh I know all the scores off the top of my head, but I said the rivalry was close in the 70s, as in how many AIs we won or contested. Not the scorelines of our specific meetings. We contested 6 finals in a row, Kerry contested 4. We both won 3, that's pretty tight if you ask me.

Ask a few of the oldies like myself about the 'friendly' games between the 70's sides, one in New York springs to mind, nasty stuff."
I think the media and probably a lot of supporters want Dublin v Kerry to be a big rivalry. It's the classic Culchies v jackeens. In reality after the late 70s it wasn't really a rivalry until Kerry left the gate open in 2011 and the dubs came storming through. Dublin have pushed on since with Kerry giving them some good games but no more than that.
Dublin football is in rude health and they will be competitive for decades no doubt about it. Any chance they could over take Kerrys role of honour over the next few decades?

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 320 - 20/03/2017 14:51:43    1969121

Link