Dublin Forum

Dublin V Kerry

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The week of the game is upon us I have been looking forward to this one for a while. Travelling down and staying the night so I am hoping for a big performance from the lads. I would say we are without McCarthy and Jack would like to see COS and Dermo start. I think O'Gara should start full forward he definitely gives us a different option he did a lot right against Mayo but his too misses is all people will remember. Jim has set his stall out during the league going with a mixture of new guys and established players so based on that I hope the team looks like the following:
1) Cluxton
2) Philly
3) Cooper
4) Mick
5) Lowndes
6) COS
7) Small
8) Fenton
9) MDMA
10) Scully
11) Kilkenny
12) Connolly
13) Rock
14) O'Gara
15) McHugh

jacktheDub (Dublin) - Posts: 895 - 12/03/2017 19:23:58    1966472

Link

Replying To jacktheDub:  "The week of the game is upon us I have been looking forward to this one for a while. Travelling down and staying the night so I am hoping for a big performance from the lads. I would say we are without McCarthy and Jack would like to see COS and Dermo start. I think O'Gara should start full forward he definitely gives us a different option he did a lot right against Mayo but his too misses is all people will remember. Jim has set his stall out during the league going with a mixture of new guys and established players so based on that I hope the team looks like the following:
1) Cluxton
2) Philly
3) Cooper
4) Mick
5) Lowndes
6) COS
7) Small
8) Fenton
9) MDMA
10) Scully
11) Kilkenny
12) Connolly
13) Rock
14) O'Gara
15) McHugh"
Good team

It shouldn't be too far off

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19820 - 12/03/2017 20:07:52    1966499

Link

The El Clasico of the GAA.

People who hate both sides will be glued to the tele, People who love us will be glued to the tele. .

There is something genuinely lovely about travelling to Kerry to watch our lads and them, to be fair..

City v Country

Urban v Rural

The two teams who have won the biggest honour more than anyone else.

As people, The Kerry people are some of the nicest you could meet.

The colour and the craic.

Its different to any other fixture in the GAA calendar.

Their fear factor they once had over us is gone, I no longer worry about playing them. I know they are capable of winning, but ive every faith in our boys despite having the utmost respect for them too.

We are the lads on the pedestal and we will all go down with a strut of arrogance if you like, the confidence as a team and fan base of champions.

They will be absolutely desperate to beat us, There is no team in the GAA that they want to beat in the championship more than us, For a lot of these lads they are fast becoming known as the Kerry team that just couldn't beat Dublin when it matters.

This weekend coming wont have any impact on the championship and any potential meeting down the line, But it would be lovely to make the long journey down to their place and just remind them who's on top of the pile right now, and why we are there.

But its not the be all and end all. Itll be nice to go there under no pressure, We can all just enjoy the occasion a league away game in March for what it is, And if we win, Brilliant...

If we lose, It wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Many of you boys n girls going ? This is the one I look for first every year, especially when we're away.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13532 - 13/03/2017 12:00:25    1966669

Link

As for the team, no selection would overly stun me, I expect the team that started against Mayo will start, But then again it wouldn't shock me if Connolly, COS, Flynner, McCaffrey and Andrews started.

If I was in Jim's shoes, this would be my team

Cluxton

Philly McMahon
Mick Fitz
Jonny Cooper

Darren Daly
Cian O'Sullivan
Eric Lowndes

Fento
MDMA

Scully
Kilkenny
Flynn

Rock
Andrews
McHugh

Keep Dermo, Jack Mc etc in reserve

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13532 - 13/03/2017 12:05:37    1966672

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "As for the team, no selection would overly stun me, I expect the team that started against Mayo will start, But then again it wouldn't shock me if Connolly, COS, Flynner, McCaffrey and Andrews started.

If I was in Jim's shoes, this would be my team

Cluxton

Philly McMahon
Mick Fitz
Jonny Cooper

Darren Daly
Cian O'Sullivan
Eric Lowndes

Fento
MDMA

Scully
Kilkenny
Flynn

Rock
Andrews
McHugh

Keep Dermo, Jack Mc etc in reserve"
Another good team

But I'd def start Dermo

Kerry have been dodgy in the backs and that's where we should be looking to exploit them

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19820 - 13/03/2017 14:38:01    1966730

Link

Great fixture this, Kerry will put themselves on the line for sure, we'll be shy of our championship 15 but our new boys are playing well. It will be a battle and close. Entertaining night out, no BIG losers when it's over, should be fun for all hopefully.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 13/03/2017 21:25:53    1966842

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Great fixture this, Kerry will put themselves on the line for sure, we'll be shy of our championship 15 but our new boys are playing well. It will be a battle and close. Entertaining night out, no BIG losers when it's over, should be fun for all hopefully."
Whoever loses will be big losers we're going down to get this record stop thinking for one minute we're not, this team wants everything there is to get in this game and they want this record big time.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 14/03/2017 09:09:27    1966901

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Whoever loses will be big losers we're going down to get this record stop thinking for one minute we're not, this team wants everything there is to get in this game and they want this record big time."
Will you give over with the poxy record , I keep forgetting about the bloody thing till you keep bringing it up , players and other posters have told you this game means two points , your like a broken record saying it isn't.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 14/03/2017 12:25:17    1966934

Link

Im hoping for a cracker but I'm not sure , there was a time you could guarantee the sight of a blue jersey would be enough to give us a bit of blood and thunder from Kerry , recently it's not allways been the case ,giving how poor Leinster is we need this game to be similar to Tyrone Donegal games , we need it to be contested and we need it to matter.
My reason for thinking it will have a bit of fizz is nothing to do with records , Eammon Fitz is not flavour of the month , his players are being questioned not so much attitude but ability , and similar to us 10 years ago they must have a pain in their arsenal losing to us .
Regards what team goes out I've given up trying to second guess Gavin , to all those lucky basta7ds travelling take it safe get home in one piece.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 14/03/2017 13:08:43    1966947

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Will you give over with the poxy record , I keep forgetting about the bloody thing till you keep bringing it up , players and other posters have told you this game means two points , your like a broken record saying it isn't."
Absolutel bs from you , the whole country is on About this record , what players have said anything? The players want this record , except a few posters on here for some weird reason. 2 points who gives a rats about two points I want this record that will stay with us forever. Why follow Dublin Gaa if you don't want Sam's, leagues, records etc isn't this what it's all about?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 14/03/2017 13:31:54    1966956

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Absolutel bs from you , the whole country is on About this record , what players have said anything? The players want this record , except a few posters on here for some weird reason. 2 points who gives a rats about two points I want this record that will stay with us forever. Why follow Dublin Gaa if you don't want Sam's, leagues, records etc isn't this what it's all about?"
The only issue I have with this record

Is that stats from the early 1930's are quite suspect

For me anyway, we already hold a modern record worth a lot more considering how far advanced the game has become

No one will get near it

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19820 - 14/03/2017 14:08:58    1966969

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Absolutel bs from you , the whole country is on About this record , what players have said anything? The players want this record , except a few posters on here for some weird reason. 2 points who gives a rats about two points I want this record that will stay with us forever. Why follow Dublin Gaa if you don't want Sam's, leagues, records etc isn't this what it's all about?"
The record that no one knew about suddenly matters
Friends following Dublin since the seventies never heard of it travelling to Kerry couldn't give a shit , as they go every second year .
Name me the club in Dublin with the longest unbeaten run ? no one on here would know because no one gives a shit , what's the longest unbeaten record in hurling ? I don't know guess why it doesn't matter
, FairPlay it matters to you , I'd love to know when it started to matter .
Your right about one thing All Ireland titles , leinster titles , league titles they count.

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 14/03/2017 14:25:53    1966973

Link

Yeh I'm with Damo here, if we lose who will be talking about this record come June? No one, I personally couldn't give a toss about it, the only thing I'm interested in is AI titles, everything else is a bonus, a bonus we can live without. Great if we win, no heartbreak if we don't, well that's me anyway!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7701 - 14/03/2017 17:41:02    1967020

Link

I want this record more than a league title.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 14/03/2017 17:45:02    1967021

Link

I wouldn't even mind, but this game only equals the record, The real IMPORTANT game for this record is the one against Roscommon if avoid defeat in Kerry cause that's when we can potentially beat it. I want us to beat Kerry cause I want us to win every game, The record itself doesn't matter, if we get it, grand, if we don't, I wont be losing too much sleep over it. Lifting tin is what matters, beating records along the way is a bonus but not a necessity, and as others have said, losing Saturday will have absolutely no impact on our summer one way or the other.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13532 - 14/03/2017 18:27:02    1967031

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "I wouldn't even mind, but this game only equals the record, The real IMPORTANT game for this record is the one against Roscommon if avoid defeat in Kerry cause that's when we can potentially beat it. I want us to beat Kerry cause I want us to win every game, The record itself doesn't matter, if we get it, grand, if we don't, I wont be losing too much sleep over it. Lifting tin is what matters, beating records along the way is a bonus but not a necessity, and as others have said, losing Saturday will have absolutely no impact on our summer one way or the other."
Roscommon at home is a banker not one bit worried about that game.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 14/03/2017 20:00:09    1967056

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Roscommon at home is a banker not one bit worried about that game."
Its not that we don't want the record, its just 4th in most of our priorities behind

A) winning the all Ireland
B) Winning the league
C) Winning Leinster

Those 3 things are what people talk about, nobody talks or cares about records until someone is close to beating it.

I didn't even know about the record until after the Cavan game.

Everyone is talking about going for 3 in a row all Irelands. Some things are just more important.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13532 - 14/03/2017 20:32:54    1967073

Link

I know it will have zero impact on the summer but it's there to be won and I badly want it. If we don't get it we don't get it,we move on.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 14/03/2017 20:33:50    1967074

Link

1. Sam
2. Record
3. League
4. Leinster

For me.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 14/03/2017 20:41:19    1967080

Link

No one talks about the record cause no ones got near it in decades.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 14/03/2017 20:49:51    1967086

Link