Dublin Forum

We need to talk about Paul Flynn

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I don't see what Flynn did any different on Sunday to almost every other forward. The entire forward line didn't function as a unit. To suggest Flynn should solely be dropped because of it, it's not his job in that unit to get scores he works tirelessly and he still done that on Sunday, his workrate didnt drop he just didnt find himself on the ball much.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 20/09/2016 13:43:53    1916905

Link

thinking about it today, I actually wouldnt drop him. Not because i think he played well, he didnt,. Because we have no player to fill his role if he is dropped. U cant start with 6 gun ho forwards, u need one man to do the dirty work and come for balls from the half backs etc. Flynner does that, not as well as he once did, but he does that better than anyone else on the panel could.
Incredibly, the more I think about it, and I dont say this easily, the one I would drop, for Andrews, is BB

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 20/09/2016 14:57:19    1916959

Link

A lot of people would have missed the fact that Paul marshalled Aidan O'Se at times when O'Se dropped deep. Not something you'd see on the television but this was obviously pre-planned and perhaps one of the reasons why Aidan didn't play well for Mayo.
Flynn has a habit of given the dirty work that others don't have to like playing backup defender sometimes when Donaghy would come on in the past

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 920 - 20/09/2016 16:38:43    1917013

Link

Ah come on Hill Paul Flynn always scored for Dublin ok he was never a Berno but he was always in the middle of everything affecting how the game goes for Dublin, he was unreal for 4 years roasting every half back he faced , right now he's doing a lot of running but having no impact on the game whatsoever. His confidence is gone imo and I can't see him getting it back for Saturday week , I hope to god I'm wrong.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 20/09/2016 17:10:31    1917034

Link

Flynn role has changed on the team ,, he defensive half forward the same as Bryan Cullen was in 2011

and Kilkenny drops back to help out the defence also.

Wexiko (Wexford) - Posts: 81 - 20/09/2016 17:29:58    1917047

Link

Having looked back at the game I find it hard to believe people are calling for Flynn to be dropped. On at least 2 occassions he was the man running off the shoulder at pace waiting for the final pass only for it not to arrive, once from Rock, once from Brogan. On both occassions there was only the keeper to beat. Also, his challenge on Donal Vaughan in the last minute of the first half denied Mayo a goal scoring opportunity. My difficulty with the forward line at present is that some players appear to be playing for themselves first and the team second, which is understandable considering the competition for places, but not ideal. This was epitomised by Connolly's insistence on taking the line ball from Kilkenny. I also find it hard to believe nobody has mentioned Davy Byrne's performance. I know it was his first final start but his flapping at high balls cost us two points. His direct opponents in the semi final and final kicked 1-7 from play.

dully83 (Dublin) - Posts: 9 - 20/09/2016 19:10:56    1917092

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Ah come on Hill Paul Flynn always scored for Dublin ok he was never a Berno but he was always in the middle of everything affecting how the game goes for Dublin, he was unreal for 4 years roasting every half back he faced , right now he's doing a lot of running but having no impact on the game whatsoever. His confidence is gone imo and I can't see him getting it back for Saturday week , I hope to god I'm wrong."
I dunno man his shooting was never that accurate he could kick a lunge range point but then hit the corner flag with his next attempt possibly. For me what he is good at going forward is more a goal threat he is good at bursting through and looking for a pass to put him in on goal

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 20/09/2016 19:37:38    1917102

Link

Replying To dully83:  "Having looked back at the game I find it hard to believe people are calling for Flynn to be dropped. On at least 2 occassions he was the man running off the shoulder at pace waiting for the final pass only for it not to arrive, once from Rock, once from Brogan. On both occassions there was only the keeper to beat. Also, his challenge on Donal Vaughan in the last minute of the first half denied Mayo a goal scoring opportunity. My difficulty with the forward line at present is that some players appear to be playing for themselves first and the team second, which is understandable considering the competition for places, but not ideal. This was epitomised by Connolly's insistence on taking the line ball from Kilkenny. I also find it hard to believe nobody has mentioned Davy Byrne's performance. I know it was his first final start but his flapping at high balls cost us two points. His direct opponents in the semi final and final kicked 1-7 from play."
Yeah I mentioned on a thread or two that Byrne didn't have the best of days. 2 uncontested catches that he flicked down for no real reason. 2 points conceded. I'm not sure what Mick Fitz had done wrong of late to not get a start.

I dunno about Paul to be honest. I'd agree that his role has changed and I don't think he's been as bad as some are making out. He used to almost always chip in with a point or two and win his share of kick outs too. That seems to have dropped away a little bit.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12873 - 20/09/2016 20:10:12    1917112

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Yeah I mentioned on a thread or two that Byrne didn't have the best of days. 2 uncontested catches that he flicked down for no real reason. 2 points conceded. I'm not sure what Mick Fitz had done wrong of late to not get a start.

I dunno about Paul to be honest. I'd agree that his role has changed and I don't think he's been as bad as some are making out. He used to almost always chip in with a point or two and win his share of kick outs too. That seems to have dropped away a little bit."
With the emphasis on short kickouts, our build up is much slower than it used to be when Dermo and Flynn were used as kickout options. By extension, that fast diagonal into Brogan doesn't happen as much now, which could explain Brogan's perceived loss of form.

dully83 (Dublin) - Posts: 9 - 20/09/2016 20:44:15    1917143

Link

Replying To dully83:  "With the emphasis on short kickouts, our build up is much slower than it used to be when Dermo and Flynn were used as kickout options. By extension, that fast diagonal into Brogan doesn't happen as much now, which could explain Brogan's perceived loss of form."
Yeah I'd agree on both there. A lot of ball is going through Kilkenny's hands at half-forward this year and we are not using the diagonal ball to the corners as we used to. I mentioned this before the Mayo game and it is effecting Bernards game. If it's dry the next day he will be better. I also agree on Flynn, how often do you see high balls to our HF line these days, or even midfield? Again it's all through the hands. Paul is a physical player who is strong in the air so I think our varied style does not suit his style. I'd start Paddy ahead of him the next day, play Paddy in the corner and bring Kev out.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4227 - 20/09/2016 21:49:11    1917188

Link

His role is the same as ever he's just not playing well. He won't be dropped but someone will be for Andrews.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 20/09/2016 21:52:20    1917191

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "
Replying To Wexiko:  "'' We need the agricultural half forward ''

What's that mean?? haven't heard that one before!"
Someone from skerries? :) Bryan Cullen out of retirement? :)"
No need to drag Cullen out of retirement when Ciaran Reddin from Maurs is fit and able. The Rush farmers would be spitting carrots if Skerries was considered the agricultural capital of North County.

CaogaCuig (Dublin) - Posts: 53 - 21/09/2016 00:36:43    1917248

Link

Its a close one but I wouldnt drop him for replay.I believed his role has changed,since Donegal 14 his attacking game has been sacrifced for his ability to defend well and shore up our defence better than any of the other forwards bar Killkenny.He is also the weakest point taker of the 3 HF so it makes sense that he plays the deepest of the 3. Its a very important role he plays and I dont think any of the subs would be as good as him. I'd like to see Mannion Costello and Andrews as our FF line next day out.The mantra of this squad has been if your not performing then there is an able bodied replacement hungry for your geansai.The FF line last day were well marshalled but even so were poor and the impact Brogan, Kev mc and Rock could make as subs in the last 20 25 minutes could be significant when the game is in the melting pot. Na Dubs Abu

CaogaCuig (Dublin) - Posts: 53 - 21/09/2016 01:46:20    1917252

Link

I'd start EOG and Andrews

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 21/09/2016 10:19:07    1917328

Link

I think everyone would agree Flynn is past his best, he will start the final, but who will fill his boots in the next year or so is the question. Brady is 29 and still hasnt done it, based on the current squad, it will either be mannion into center forward and DC on the wing or shane carthy from vins possibly to fill that role over the coming years

northie_chap (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 21/09/2016 10:25:11    1917334

Link

We'll need to start playing Con O'Callaghan, Cormac Costello, Paul Mannion and co far more regular next year

These fella's need to be brought in soon to give them regular game time up front -

An injection of fresh blood is required soon and there are some talented lads that could really blossom with confidence boosting game time

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 19818 - 21/09/2016 15:31:22    1917497

Link

Replying To northie_chap:  "I think everyone would agree Flynn is past his best, he will start the final, but who will fill his boots in the next year or so is the question. Brady is 29 and still hasnt done it, based on the current squad, it will either be mannion into center forward and DC on the wing or shane carthy from vins possibly to fill that role over the coming years"
Brady hasn't exactly been given a chance to do it. He gets some league time but when it comes to the big games in the championship he's nowhere to be seen.

CroiGorm (Dublin) - Posts: 1547 - 21/09/2016 15:42:42    1917503

Link

Brady has been part of that squad the last four years and never made the step up, id be surprised to see him around next year at all.

northie_chap (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 21/09/2016 16:11:10    1917525

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "We'll need to start playing Con O'Callaghan, Cormac Costello, Paul Mannion and co far more regular next year

These fella's need to be brought in soon to give them regular game time up front -

An injection of fresh blood is required soon and there are some talented lads that could really blossom with confidence boosting game time"
Look Costello,Lowndes,mannion,Brady,o conghaile, o gara and carthy and so on have all been on the panel since Gavin took charge. Gavin isn't the type of guy to not put fellas in. Fenton,byrne and small are examples of if they are performing he will play them. So for me the guys that are starting are the ones who are showing better in training so its up to the other guys to show better to get into the team.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 21/09/2016 18:35:09    1917623

Link

The only alternative i see is to play James Mc in MF and mdma in half forwards

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8156 - 21/09/2016 18:39:01    1917626

Link